Jump to content
    ASH PHOENIX
  • Author
  • 1,647 Words
  • 2,043 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Taming Of The Beast - 20. Chapter 20

I hope that you guys enjoy this chapter. It was fun to write.
I'm looking for a beta reader as I think having someone once again will help me get this done sooner. I miss having someone to read my chapters. Thank you.

“Get yourself cleaned up; there's something I want to discuss with you.” Derek walked behind Mason; the Prince hadn't given him time to reply before he was out the door. Mason could hear Derek's footsteps before they became a silent whisper.

“Should I be worried?” Mason turned to Drew.

There was silence before the Lycan faced him; a smile crept upon his face as if he knew something that Mason didn't. “Why, what did you do?”

“Uh, nothing...” Mason replied without breaking eye contact. “It's just that this feels more like a summons than an actual friendly invite for a chat.”

Drew nodded. “That's because it is a summons. Mason, what exactly do you know about us?” Drew raised a brow when he saw the amount of confusion on his best friend's mate. “I mean, what do you know about what we do, who we are, and what we stand for aside from being Lycans?”

“You're protectors, you work in the shadows, and honestly, growing up, I thought that you were all a myth our ancestors created to make us feel safer. My parents used to tell me stories about your kind. You were all stronger, powerful, and warriors.” Mason answered without a beat. “You are what stands between the mundanes and our world. You protect us from destruction.”

“So then, why do you think that Derek wants to see you?”

“The shovel talk?”

“Shovel talk?” The Lycan was confused.

Mason shook his head. “Shovel talk? When the partner's family member warns the partner should they hurt their loved one, they are coming for him. It's a threat what will happen should their loved one be hurt.”

“We're not mundanes. You know what will happen to you if you hurt Bastian, so there is no reason for that talk, or is there?”

Mason shook his head. “Has anybody ever told you how scary you are? You smiled your way through that.”

“You should see me torturing someone; then you'd be in for the shock of your life.” Drew grinned.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Do you think that my pack is in danger?” Mason's question hadn't been a surprise, not the way things were going. Everyone knew that the wolf worried and feared for his pack, his family that he had left behind.

Drew pinned Mason with his eyes. “Yes. We think everyone is in danger, and while we can not be sure who is behind this as of yet, we know that packs are all in trouble, and we are doing everything in our power to help.”

Mason nodded, silently praying to whoever was listening to protect his family.

“Do you regret leaving your pack?” Drew knew the answer as soon as he allowed the words to escape his lips, but he wanted to hear from the wolf himself.

“No.”

Drew's eyes flashed. “That is all I wanted to hear.”

“I should go. Derek is probably pissed I'm late.” Mason said, making to leave.

“See you later, alright.” Drew grinned as he watched Mason leave for Derek.

 

                  

******

 

“Ah, there you are. Come in and shut the door.” Mason heard Derek before he twisted the door handle to open the door. Derek was good, really good it scared him. Mason took a deep breath before he walked into the room and shut the door behind him. “I can smell your fear, wolf.”

Mason felt like a child whenever he stood before Derek or shared the same room with him. The Crown Prince intimidated him; it didn't matter how many times Derek told him to relax in his presence. The thought and instinct still lingered. Both Princes demanded respect, and each time they walked into a room, the power oozed. The Lycans were a powerful force, and everyone knew it. He almost felt sadness for those who would come across them in battle.

“You did well today.” The compliment hit the wolf hard; it made his heart beam with pride.

“Really?” Mason felt himself ask. “Drew practically threw me around like a ragdoll.”

Derek bursts out laughing, surprising Mason in the process. “You have thick skin, wolf. That's going to come in handy in your future, especially the one that awaits you.”

“What does that mean?” Mason inquired curiously.

Derek smiled. “Have you ever heard of the vampire Roark?”

Mason thought for a moment before he opened his mouth. “Who has not?. Is he important?”

“Yes, he is another obstacle that you will have to climb because Roark is my brother's vampire godfather. He is protective over him like I' am, and he will test you. If you think I was scary, wait until you meet him.”

“I don't understand.”

“Roark is King Vashon's best friend; he is a vampire Elder, and that means that he is my brother's godfather.”

“What?”

Derek smirked. “Being Bastian's mate means you have to get to know both sides of his family. The Lycans are tough, but so are the vampires, and between us, we both want what's best for Bastian and love him. The vampires will be harder to impress, but if you show them that you are devoted to Bastian and would fight for him to the death. They will accept you.”

“I'm a wolf. Vampires and wolves don't mix.” Mason deadpanned.

“The wars between both your species is exaggerated." Derek rolled his eyes. He'd been witness to the many battles between both species. Hell, even Lycans had once or twice gone a round or two with both species despite where the wolves came from. Derek still remembered the blood spilled, the deaths, and the cries. The blood bath, he and his people, had taken no pleasure in what had happened, but the war had been war, and war had casualties. “Lycan's have gone a round or two with your species. Are you telling me that Lycan's and wolves don't mix?”

Mason sighed. He knew what the Prince was doing, and it was working. “No.”

“You are my brother's mate, and like it or not, vampires are in your family tree now. They come as a packaged deal with Bastian. Bjorn doesn't know yet about you, but I suspect that he has an inkling. This is, after all, an Ancient we are talking about.” Derek smiled.

“Is the consort like Bastian?”

Derek seemed confused. “What do you mean?”

“I meant, does he also have powers like him?”

Derek nodded. “Oh, yes. With Vashon's blood coursing through his veins, my brother didn't just get to become part vampire, and he also got the King's special abilities.”

“I've never heard of any other vampire with abilities like Bastian showed during dinner,” Mason said truthfully.

“That's because it's not common. The King's bloodline is the only one to have these abilities and those within the Council. Vashon blessed them all with specific gifts once they accepted the title of Elder and were worthy. Those with noble blood within the vampire community also don’t have the kind of power that Vashon, Bastian, and Bjorn have. Their only standing is that they are of noble standing.”

Mason closed his eyes, trying to process everything he was being told. He knew nothing about vampires; everything he thought he knew had been a lie. “Okay, but what about the King’s brother and his family?”

“What about the bastard?”

“You said that the King was powerful. What about the brother? How did he gain power if he was not as powerful?” Mason wanted to understand precisely what had happened that fateful day, how the most powerful vampire King had succumbed to the ground and allowed his brother to rule when he knew that he would lead the kingdom to the ground.

“It was foretold, a very long time ago. It was not easy for Vashon to let it happen especially knowing that he would leave the love of his life behind. Drakkon gained the upper hand by using others and manipulation. He knows that his time is running out, and once the King awakens, he is screwed, and there is nowhere in the world he can run to.”

“What about his mate?”

“Astrid isn’t in love with Drakkon, but she loves her children, she loves her family, and she doesn’t want them to end up like their father. Astrid and Bjorn are cousins.” Derek looked at Mason.

“I thought that Drakkon loved Bjorn.”

“He does, but once he realized that Bjorn hates him and would choose death than be with him. He found solace with Astrid, and well fast forward centuries later, and here we are living this hell.”

Mason sighed. “Vampire politics are complicated.”

Derek laughed. “You don’t know the half of it.”

Mason couldn’t utter another word after that. He had just gotten a century's worth of education on the royal family, but he still couldn’t understand it.

“I’m telling you this because from now on; it’s only going to be harder. You’re going to have to do things. Things you never thought you were capable of. Difficult things. You’re one of us now, and that means that you’re going to have to hit the ground running without training wheels.”

Mason hadn’t expected that. “Derek, you are aware of the fact that I’m the next Alpha, right?”

Derek ran his hands through his hair. “Mason, there is nothing I don’t know about you, but out of courtesy, I ask because I’m your future brother-in-law.” Derek took a breath. “You’re not Alpha yet, and I know that you have to train under your father to learn, but right now, we need you here. Bastian needs you here. I need you here because something is coming, and it’s going to wreck and destroy everything.”

Mason couldn’t deny Derek, he knew the seriousness of the situation. “What do you need me to do?”

The corner of the Prince’s mouth quirked up.

 

2017 Ash Phoenix; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 17
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..