Jump to content

Unchained

   (11 reviews)
Genres: Fantasy
Sub-genres: Historical Fantasy

Dashel had always been different. In the spring of 1873, a bit after he turned 18 years, his life changed forever.

WARNING: This tale contains strong violence and acts that could be considered torture.
Copyright © 2023 Secret Author; All Rights Reserved.

Story Recommendations (6 members)

  • Action Packed 3
  • Addictive/Pacing 2
  • Characters 4
  • Chills 4
  • Cliffhanger 0
  • Compelling 4
  • Feel-Good 0
  • Humor 0
  • Smoldering 0
  • Tearjerker 3
  • Unique 6
  • World Building 3

Select Chapter
Table of Contents
  • 1. Chapter 1
    • 4,198 Words
    • 1,093 Views
    • 28 Comments

Recommended Comments

User Feedback

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to leave a review

You need to be a member in order to leave a review

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sophie348

   8 of 8 members found this review helpful 8 / 8 members

Short, but sweet? A farmers wife should now,  you reap what you sow😇😇

Response from the author:

Indeed! Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Link to review
kbois

   7 of 7 members found this review helpful 7 / 7 members

It's a dark tale that comes with a trigger warning of violence for a reason. I found it difficult to read, but that's how I am. 

The story does teach a lesson and does it in an undisputed way. 

Even though this was not the type of story I normally read, you should be proud of being a Secret Author. 

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
Mikiesboy

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

Not sure what i think about this story. It's dark and violent, and i understand why.  While the idea is good and worthy, I think it felt rushed. This deserved more time to develop the characters and the world they live in properly.

Response from the author:

Thank you, this has been mentioned several times now.

Might I ask you to help me out by providing a more detailed example, please? I ask, because this seems to me like at work when I as techie feel that I said everything while the marketing guys make whole paragraphs out of statements, and I am always amazed...

  • Like 7
Link to review
Gary L

· Edited by Gary L

   5 of 5 members found this review helpful 5 / 5 members

I don’t get this story. It is probably my fault but there isn’t time to develop things before the horrifying, and well-written, climax.   A great idea that doesn’t quite come off, for me.

Response from the author:

Thank you! Yes, it is rather short, I admit. What would you have liked to go more into detail?

  • Like 7
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to review
Sherye Story Reader

   3 of 3 members found this review helpful 3 / 3 members

A must read of how 1 young guy and his mentor were treated by so called God fearing people. Wish I  could have gave it more stars!

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 2
  • Love 4
Link to review
drsawzall

   9 of 10 members found this review helpful 9 / 10 members

Much like the tales and lessons of old, whose purpose was ingraining morality, this story invokes age old dilemmas. How can you ascribe to a belief system/faith yet still have unbounded hate in your heart and soul? 

Then how many time can you beat, abuse, and cast out those who aren't like you before the other cheek turns...and it ain't pretty?

Response from the author:

Yep! Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 10
Link to review
Bill W

· Edited by Bill W

   7 of 8 members found this review helpful 7 / 8 members

An interesting and compelling story that takes place in an alternative universe.  Two healers, riding in a horse-drawn cart, are stopped and asked by a man to help his wife, who has been ill for several days.  Nearly as soon as this task has been completed, things begin to go terribly awry.  What happens and how will it be handled?  You'll have to read this story to find out.   

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
chris191070

   7 of 8 members found this review helpful 7 / 8 members

Wow what a powerful story, I would advice caution if you find violence and potential acts of torture likely to upset you.

This is a story of hate and persecution of a young man, Dashel who is considered to be different.

You really need this story if you want to find out more about Dashel.

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 2
  • Love 8
Link to review
astone2292

   7 of 9 members found this review helpful 7 / 9 members

World building here is perfectly spaced. No info-dumps to be found, and the details are spaced evenly. Follow Dashel and Tom on their journey to heal the ill. 

But they must be careful. Not all will be grateful to their ways...

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 1
  • Love 8
Link to review
raven1

   6 of 8 members found this review helpful 6 / 8 members

A very intriguing dark tale of betrayal and revenge.  I could picture this as one of the Canterbury Tales if Geoffrey Chaucer were a modern writer.  A well told story that feels like an unusual, divergent form of a morality play.   Very worth the read.  Beware, there is some very violent and disturbing imagery.

Response from the author:

Thank you!

  • Like 2
  • Love 8
Link to review
Hero

   4 of 6 members found this review helpful 4 / 6 members

A simplistic tale of betrayal and retribution which lacks development and description. The writing is rather below average as if written by someone for whom English is not their first language. The idea was good but the execution left something to be desired. 

Response from the author:

Thank you! Indeed English is not my first language. Would you mind going a bit more into detail as to where my English was lacking?

 

[Update]: Actually, reading it now on a phone, I can find dozens of mistakes, some actually quite bad. Sorry. Nevertheless,if you could go into more detail, that would be appreciated.

[Update]: In detail answer given, thank you!

  • Like 7
  • Love 1
Link to review
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..