Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 3,056 Words
  • 1,428 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 17. Will the Good Luck Continue?

After I picked my jaw up off of the floor, I asked him if he was pulling my leg.

"Nope, 100% true. I have your copy of the POA right here. You'll need to give me the contact info for your brothers. I don't think just sending theirs out of the blue would be ideal."

"Yeah, they'd probably think it was some kind of a cruel joke."

I gave him their phone numbers and he called his paralegal in to notarize the document. The only catch is we have to promise to send dad $50 a month for incidentals. And that isn't really binding, but it's a small price to pay for the benefit. I now had control of approximately $450,000 and one third of a house. My guess is Al and I will work out some kind of a deal with Winslow. I'd bet he'd be OK staying there. I'll have to see if there's a branch of dad's bank around here somewhere. After I have the money I could fly back to Georgia, but that's not going to happen beforehand. Derek's gonna shit when I tell him.

I fill Mr. Hamilton in on everything he didn't already know about my ordeal, and then say so long. If I need a lawyer to take care of anything with selling at least my share of the house, I know who I'll ask. Wow, I'll even be able to pay his bill, hehe. Should have asked how much it was. He'll let me know, I'm sure.

So it's a stop for lunch and then the main office of Florida Palm. I walk in and stop at the receptionist's desk. I show her my work ID.

"Jeremy Berger. I have an appointment with Caroline Murphy. Could you direct me to her office?"

She directs me where to go and although the door is open, I knock to interrupt.

"You must be Jeremy. Come in, take a seat."

"Yes. Hello."

"I'm obviously Caroline Murphy, since I'm sitting behind the desk. This is Nanci Stormberg, she heads the legal team here."

"Nice to finally meet you Caroline. Nice meeting you as well, Nanci."

"Would you like a coffee, tea, or something else before we start?"

"No thanks. I just had some lunch, I'm good."

Nanci takes over the discussion.

"Fine, let's just jump right into it then, shall we. What type of legal trouble do you have?"

I explain leaving home, the reason why, using a false name to try to avoid my father, coming clean to my lawyer, getting a valid Florida ID, getting arrested, kidnapped, and escaping. Nanci continues to lead their side of the conversation.

"Wow. You’ve been through a lot. So, a second-degree misdemeanor isn't a blocking point for your return. A felony would have been. Caroline can say whether the name change would be an issue in our systems, but I'd bet there is a way around that. That being said, we'll need a moment alone to discuss this. Would you mind waiting for a while in the lounge? I'm sure you saw it on your way back."

"I did, and I have no problem waiting."

"Help yourself to anything there if you wish. There are waters and sodas in the refrigerator, too."

"Thanks."

I head to the lounge to wait, and grab a water since I don’t know how long they’ll take. Caroline closes the door behind me.

We'll eavesdrop on Caroline and Nanci.

"What do you think, Nanci?"

"Like I told him, the misdemeanor isn't an issue, it being fraud gives us a weapon, though. Using that as a weapon, we have a chance to possibly avoid being sued for damages from the accident. He seems like a reasonable man who just wants to keep his job. I think with a few considerations, we can convince him not to sue."

"You were right about the name change not being a big issue for me. Worst case, I copy his current personnel record into a new one with his real name. What kind of considerations were you thinking?"

"Well first of all, he keeps his job, but to sweeten the pot, would it be possible to cover the gap between his insurance and the total medical bills?"

"Yes, that'd be a pittance compared to a lawsuit."

"OK. Next, he's an electrician's assistant, we offer to pay for his training and license, and then follow that up with a new pay rate after say 30 days."

"Yes, that's doable as well. Do you think that will be enough?"

"Probably, the job title change gives him an extra week's paid vacation, so we can inform him of that fact as well. It all depends on how bitter he is about the accident. We're already looking at a mid six-figure wrongful death suit from Mrs. Perch, we don't need another one, no matter what the amount."

"OK. I'll go get him and you outline the plan. Do you want another coffee, Nanci?"

"No thanks. Any more coffee today and I'll be floating."

"I'd pay to see that."

"I'm sure you would. But let's keep the personal side out of this."

"Sorry. I suppose it wouldn't be a good idea to be accused of sexual harrassment by the head of the legal team."

"No. We'll keep that to the bedroom. Hehe."

"Jeremy, or rather, Bryson, we're ready for you."

"Thanks Caroline. And I'm sticking with Jeremy, as a nickname."

"OK. Well, Nanci will outline the conditions for your return."

"Awesome."

"So, as I said before, the misdemeanor isn't an issue in and of itself. Being fraud wories me a little, but I think we have come up with a solution that makes both sides happy."

"Good. I'm listening."

"OK. Let me outline it all first before you ask any questions. We're offerring to cover any gaps between insurance coverage and the medical bills. We'll also pay for training for you to get your electrician's license. Once you complete that, you'll gain the position of electrician and all the perks that go with it after 30 days. Those perks being a raise and an extra week paid vacation."

"Wow. Thanks. I was happy to keep my job. But I'm guessing those other incentives come with a cost."

"They do. We'd need you to sign a non-disclosure agreement that also indicates you won't sue Florida Palm for additional damages related to the accident."

"And if I'd like to sue?"

"You stay an electrician's assistant, and be responsible for any deductibles the insurance company imposes. And, suing the company may make enemies of your co-workers. Obviously we'd prohibit anything illegal, but there are plenty of ways people can make you feel unwelcome, unfortunately."

"What kind of raise would we be talking, after the 30 days?"

Caroline answers this one.

"The minimum for a new electrician is $4 per hour more than you're currently making."

"Would I be paid during the training and when could I start?"

"Yes, you'll be paid at your current rate, and you can start as soon as you can find a program. I'm sure your department can make some recommendations."

"OK. Where do I sign? I may not be getting some big settlement check, but peace of mind is worth a lot as well."

"We're glad to hear it. Consider yourself back on roll as of tomorrow. Let me know when you get the training scheduled and I'll work the details with the trainer or trainers. Hopefully you can do that quickly. If there's any sort of delay, I'll work with the team to get you assignments in the meantime."

"Thanks Caroline. You've been great through this whole process. I'm happy here and even happier I don't have to find something else."

"And thank you for understanding our position. I think this is a win-win for all of us."

"Yes. I'll take a run over to the electrical department and see if the coordinator has any suggestions for the training. I'd love to start that ASAP so you don't have to pay me for doing nothing any longer than necessary."

"Great. Just let me know when you'll start and who it is with and I'll take care of getting it paid."

"Will do. Have a great rest of the day."

"You too." "Bye."

I walk out of there with a smile on my face. I was already expecting the fraud might get in the way of any sort of compensation, so the medical bills and the raise is more than I could have hoped for. Derek is going to flip when I tell him the news. I head to my department.

"Hey Oscar."

"Jeremy, how are you doing? Coming back soon?"

"Yes, technically I'm back tomorrow, but the company wants to send me for training to get my electrician's license, so I may be doing that first."

"Hey, good for you. I'm guessing you'd like to know where you can go to do that?"

"You guess correctly."

"I just happen to keep that information handy. Here are three options that I think are the best. All-E certifications is the best, but the other two are good as well. You just need to check when you can start the program at each place. And Florida Palm is paying for your training?"

"Yep."

"I'm guessing there's a catch to that?"

"Yeah, but I can't talk about it."

"I get it. Corporate politics. You still seeing that same hunk?"

"Derek, yes."

"Damn. Well, I can hold out hope you'll break up with him. I'll be here for you if you ever do."

"You're a piece of work Oscar, but I guess it's good to know I have options. Hehe."

"Yeah, well let me know about the training, if you can't start right away, we're shorthanded in a few places, so I can put you back to work as soon as Monday if needed."

"I'll let you know as soon as I do. I'll be talking to you."

"Sounds good. Take it easy."

"Bye."

Next stop, shopping for something decent for dinner tonight, then home. Make some calls to the training centers, check out banks, and wait for Derek.

All-E certifications had an opening available on Monday, so I reserved a spot and told the person a representative from my company would be calling to arrange payment. I left messages for Caroline and Oscar. Both were away from their desks.

I also found out that Wells Fargo bank operates in both states, and there are a few branches nearby. Getting a new account set up is job one for tomorrow.

It’s almost 8:00 when Derek knocks and comes in. I could tell it was a rough day for him. It figures. Great for me, terrible for him. I could see the tears pooling in his eyes already. I know my news is going to have to wait.

“Tough day?”

“Worst ever. Shooting victims.”

“Wilson Estates?”

“No. Murder/suicide in what should be a good neighborhood.”

“I’m guessing there was a kid or two involved.”

“Four. Three dead, the fourth will be lucky to make it through the night. All are six and under. The baby was only two months old.”

“Which one survived?”

“Adam, he’s four. I could use a drink. Or ten.”

“I could probably snag a couple beers from Mr. Linden. He gave me one yesterday. Wait, you seem so sure about the ages and know the boy’s name.”

That’s when the tears started. I reached out to hold him. The only words I could make out through his sobs were ‘my cousin.’

Three hours earlier, with Derek.

Getting close to the end of the shift when the call comes in. Another PD referral. Oh, joy. Both teams are called out. The address sounds familiar but it doesn’t click until we turn onto the street. I have a cousin who lives somewhere on this one. We pull up to the police line and my world sinks. Dad’s apparently on the phone with the shooter. It’s my cousin’s house. I quickly get the hint of the shooter’s identity.

“Adam, calm down and just come out. We’ll get you help.”

He’s on speaker so the leaders can hear the conversation.

“I can’t get out. The bugs, they’re surrounding me.”

“What bugs Adam?”

I know dad’s just trying to keep him talking to keep him from shooting anybody else.

“They’re like huge cockroaches. Black and green, about ten inches long. They’re coming for me because everyone else is dead.”

“Adam, they’re not real. They’re just in your mind.”

“I won’t let them eat me. They won’t eat me if I’m dead.”

A gunshot follows that. My dad keeps calling Adam’s name, asking if he’s still there. When it’s obvious he isn’t, he sends a team in to clear the scene for us.

“I’m sorry it’s your team, Derek.”

“Janice?”

Janice is my mom’s oldest sister Caryn’s daughter.

“Yes. Adam said they’re all dead, but we won’t know for sure until we get in there.”

We get the all clear and head in. Blood everywhere, not a single ten-inch cockroach in sight. I quickly head toward the children.

“Adam’s alive. Let’s go.”

I don’t wait for a gurney, just pick him up and carry him to our ambulance. He has a bullet wound to the chest. Through and through. I start packing the bandages on his chest and back to try and staunch the bleeding. He’s pale, breaths are shallow. His eyes open for a moment and I see recognition in them.

“De…”

“Don’t talk Adam. We’re gonna take care of you.”

He closes his eyes again. He’s still breathing when we get to the hospital but I know his chances aren’t good. After he’s taken in and we explain the situation, we head back to the squad. I need to shower and change, although he’s family, I’m practically covered in his blood and can’t stay.

After I shower and change into a spare set of clothes I keep there for just this reason, I consider heading back to the hospital, but I really need to calm myself down. And I wouldn’t be able to handle it if there was bad news. Not yet, anyway. After sitting in the break room for a while, I decide to head to Jeremy’s. My team already went home, so I say goodbye to the overnight guys and head out.

Back at Jeremy’s, staying with Derek’s POV.

I pull myself together after about ten minutes.

“Derek, I’m so sorry you had to go through that. Is there anything I can do?”

“Just being with me is a big help. I would have gone back to the hospital, but was afraid more bad news would completely break me.”

“We’ll just have to hope you got Adam there in time. Everybody else?”

“All dead. You see things like this on the news and wonder how it happens. I guess I’ll hear details somewhere along the line, but my cousin’s husband sounded so crazy before he shot himself.”

“You were talking to him?” Jeremy asked incredulously.

“No. Dad was, he had him on speaker. He was saying ten-inch cockroaches were going to eat him, but not if he was dead. Then we heard the gunshot.”

“Oh God. How terrible.”

“I don’t know if I can ever go back.”

“Talk to the captain, take some time off, don’t make any rash decisions.”

“I can’t take time off. You’re not working, you’ll have bills I need to help you with.”

“No. You take care of yourself. I’m set. I was going to wait because of your terrible day, but I got a lot of good news today.”

“I need something positive. What happened?”

“First I met with Mr. Hamilton. Apparently dad went on a guilt trip after being sentenced to life without the chance for parole.”

“I was hoping he’d get the needle, for your sake.”

“Life behind bars is good enough. But I guess he felt guilty, so he set up power of attorney for the three of us to have access to his money and the house.”

“So, you’re getting a little cash?”

“Not a little. Roughly $450,000 for each of us. Plus whatever equity the house has.”

“You’re kidding?”

“Nope. As Mr. Hamilton said when I reacted the same way, 1000% true. I already have the papers. Technically the money is mine already.”

“Wow. That’s awesome man. We needed a break.”

“But that’s not all.”

“Geez, it gets better?”

“Yep. I had to promise not to sue Florida Palm, but I have my job back, they’re paying any difference between insurance and medical bills.”

“That could have been a healthy chunk of change.”

“Yep, but like they say on those kooky commercials, but wait, there’s more.”

“No fucking way.”

“Yep, I not only get my job back, but they’re paying for me to get training to get my electrician’s license. I start getting paid as of tomorrow and I start training Monday. You already know I’m getting the truck. But not about having no more jail time.”

“You’re shitting me? You won the fucking good luck lottery today. What happened?”

“Mr. Hamilton spoke with the DA. He told him about the kidnapping and the rest of why I committed the fraud. He reduced the sentence to 15 days. Time served and the rest suspended. I also have the $500 fine, six months probation and have to do 100 hours of community service in the next six months. That and a $2500 tax bill with the Infernal Revenue Shysters.”

“Definitely could have been worse.”

“For sure. I was kind of hoping to do some special celebrating tonight, but I’m not sure with the kind of day….”

“I can definitely use that, but food has to come first.”

“Already thought of that. I picked up a rotisserie chicken and those individual rice cups on my way home. A few minutes in the microwave and dinner will be served.”

“Ah, you’re a regular Bobby Flay, aren’t you?”

“Why? Is he a heat and eat cook? Because that’s all that I am.”

“Put the bird in the microwave and come back to kiss me.”

“I have a better idea. Kiss, bird, kiss some more.”

“Some college missed out, you are a fucking genius.”


Next Up - "Training and a Return to Cleveland"

The guys have had a rough month. It was time to (mostly) give them a break. I did feel the need to rock Derek some more.
Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 22
  • Fingers Crossed 1
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 2
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, weinerdog said:

Sounds like Jeremy is getting a fair shake at work but I wonder if he should have spoken to his lawyer first.

We'll eavesdrop on Caroline and Nanci. Gee we get to eavesdrop but Jeremy doesn't thats not fair

Happy Thanksgiving Back

Well, he heard the results of our eavesdropping. I guess that’s something.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, J J said:

Well at least things are looking up for these two finally.

It can’t be all bad. That’d be as boring as everything going well.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drsawzall said:

I guess between the insurance/medical expenses contrasted towards a 6-figure settlement, and who knows how long that would have taken, Jeremy with the training to become a qualified electrician would be better off....Remember 450K while a significant sum, won't put the boys on easy street unless invested wisely, and that will take 30 plus years...

Dear lord in heaven...Derek might want to think of a career change....

True on the investing. Maybe he’ll meet someone at the bank that can help him with that.

Hmmm. Career change. Where have I seen that before? Oh, yeah. The prologue.

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, BoyLove said:

Really good chapter, hope the little boy survives. Can see Derek and Jeremy adopting him.

I should keep track of the times you all read my mind. I actually did think about that. We’ll just have to wait to see what happens, I guess.

  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Dan South said:

Now we know what happened three years later. Maybe?

I think that qualifies. But what career change does he make? There’s still some mystery left.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..