Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 2,902 Words
  • 1,037 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 24. Another Psycho Visit and Finally a Breakthrough

A couple homophobic slurs occur.

Friday August 25

Fortunately, Dr. Wayne was able to squeeze us in. So, at 9:30, we're walking into Dr. Wayne's office. We sat down right away.

"Hello Adam. This must be Jeremy. Hello to you and Derek too. Your uncle told me the dreams were getting worse?"

"Yes. Last night my two uncles were in it too."

"Can you tell me what happened in the last dream?"

Adam told her about all of us dying by falling into a frozen lake, and him being left alone.

"Did you see Rosa yesterday?"

"No."

"Do you think you can tell me what you think that dream, and all the rest mean?"

"I don't know."

"What happens at the end of all these dreams?"

"I wake up?"

"Just before you wake up. What happens to you?"

"Well, Uncle Derek was there once, but usually, I end up alone."

"And what did you tell me you felt when you were alone, or thought you were?"

"I was afraid."

"Can you connect that to the dreams?"

"They mean I'm afraid of being left alone?"

"Very good. How many times have been really left alone since your family died?"

"Um. None."

"Do you know how many days it's been since then?"

"I'm not sure. Twenty?"

"It's been fifty days. Do you think that if your uncles and Uncle Derek's family has never left you alone in that long, the chance that they will leave you completely alone is very good?"

"No. I don't think they'll ever leave me completely alone."

"So, will you try to do something for me at bedtime every night?"

"If I can."

"It's easy. Think to yourself, or even say it out loud, ‘my new family will never leave me alone.'

"Yeah, that's easy."

Dr. Wayne spoke with the three of us some more, making further suggestions. At the end, asked Adam to sit with Gail, her nurse/receptionist for a few minutes.

"I think Adam's biggest issue is one that's going to take a lot of time for him to deal with. Obviously, the loss of his family has put an indelible stain on his heart. I believe the mantra I gave him will probably be the most help but keep the rest of what we talked about in mind. It is going to be very helpful that at least one of you will be home all the time he is there."

"I believe that too. That's why we decided I would work second or third shift. But what about school?"

"That will present its own challenges. You'll want to meet with his teacher ASAP to make him or her aware of Adam's situation. But I also think the socialization with other children his own age will be good for him."

With that, we all left. Jeremy's boss was somewhat forgiving, allowing him at least the morning off, so he left as soon as we got home.

Sunday August 27

With my half-weekend schedule, we decided to take Adam to the beach. I slept for about five hours. After I got up, we had breakfast, packed a couple bags and headed for Dania Beach. We planned it only last weekend, so we didn't get the greatest choice of hotels, but we planned on keeping busy and wouldn't do much more than sleep and breakfast there. But it was clean and had a comfortable king-sized bed. It was a different place, and even though we'd be in the same room, we figured it would be better for Adam to not even be alone in bed. Obviously, Jeremy and I didn't partake in any, um, extracurricular activities. We've been lucky since Friday. Adam's nightmares at least took a vacation.

Monday August 28

Jeremy's current job site was closer to the hotel than our condo, so he brought his work clothes and left from there. Adam and I did a little more sightseeing before we headed home. Nightmare-less night three.

Wednesday August 30

The rest of the week was quiet. Adam's school had a meet the teacher night for the kindergarteners on Wednesday. I was able to get some time a little away from Adam and the boys he was playing with to tell Ms. Jacoby about Adam's history. She was very appreciative to have gotten a heads up before school started. I was also able to tell her how well he read. I invited the parents that came to the MTT night over on Saturday afternoon. Since Adam and I were coming tonight, Jeremy thought it would be a good idea to have a few people over, mostly so Adam could get to know some of the other children better. I told them since it was short notice, they needn't bring presents, even though Adam was turning five. In hindsight, I probably should have mentioned that we were a gay couple to the invitees. Most of them didn't have a problem with it when they arrived. Most, unfortunately, does not mean all.

Saturday September 2

People started arriving at a little before 3 PM, the designated start time. The fireworks started about 3:05 when the penultimate set of guests arrived. As soon as Jeremy and I introduced ourselves to Mr. and Mrs. Sheridan, I knew there would be trouble.

"I hope you two are brothers."

"No sir, we're married," I replied.

"You're awfully young to have a five-year-old child."

His tone didn't exactly sound nice. We shortly found that out for sure.

"We are, but we got lucky gaining custody of him, he's technically my cousin, even though he calls us uncles."

"Some court allowed this?"

"Yes. Adam lost his family in a murder/suicide. Almost lost his own life as well."

"And there were no better choices to take him than two fags?"

"Ralph, please. Give them a chance. The boy got along great with Andy at the school Wednesday night."

"Yeah, I'm sure the ‘boy' gets along great with all other boys. I'm not going to let them turn my son into a fucking faggot."

"Mr. Sheridan, if you're going to use that kind of language, I think you should leave."

Sheridan wasn't a big man, so gay or not, he wasn't going to try to tangle with me.

"Go get Andy, Trish. We're leaving. And you'll take Andy out of that class first thing on Tuesday. Make the school put him in another class. I don't need him associating with, with… this trash."

"Now you can wait outside for your wife. Get out! Now!"

I refrained from physically pushing him, but I got up close to him and looked down at him. He took the hint, turned around, and left. His wife came back, practically dragging Andy, who obviously didn't want to leave.

"I'm sorry about this. If I'd have known beforehand you were gay, Derek, I would have declined, so Ralph couldn't have caused a scene."

"It's OK Mrs. Sheridan. We've run across his kind before. I just hope Andy isn't very upset."

"I can calm him. Sorry, again. Bye."

"Goodbye." "Bye."

"It seems like there's always one in every crowd."

"You're not kidding, Jeremy. I just hope Adam didn't get upset about Andy getting dragged out."

"Oh, I'm sure he'll ask us about it later."

After everybody left, Jeremy's prediction came true.

"Why did Andy have to leave? He had just got here."

"His father didn't like the fact that Uncle Jeremy and I were married."

"That's dumb."

"It is, but a lot of people don't like it that two men could be married."

"Why not?"

"They think that only a man and a woman should be allowed to be married."

"Why should it matter? You guys love each other. Shouldn't that be good enough?"

"It should be, but not everybody feels that way."

"So, because you're married, I can't be friends with Andy?"

"It looks that way, kiddo."

"That's not fair. I liked him after we met at school the other day."

"We know," Jeremy was sympathetic. "Maybe his dad will change his mind about being your friend. We don't have to be friends with Andy's dad for you to be friends."

"I hope so. Well, there were a few more kids here I can still be friends with. Their dads weren't jerks."

We had a little chuckle about that. Jeremy agreed.

"No, the rest were OK."

Tuesday September 5

I got up long enough to get Adam off to school. The elementary school was only two blocks away. That was a key deciding factor in buying this condo. I made him breakfast, got us both dressed, and walked with him to the school.

"I'll be waiting right here when you get out later. Have a nice day."

"I'm afraid, Uncle Derek."

"What are you afraid of?"

"Do you think most of the kids will like me?"

"Sure, they will. You already know five that were at the house Saturday. Everything will be OK. It's their first day, too. If you see someone who looks lonely, or just is alone, say ‘hello, my name is Adam, what's your name?' I bet that will be enough to make another friend."

"OK. See you later."

"Later kiddo. I love you."

"I love you too."

School turned out well. Adam told me he said hello to a couple more kids, and they all wanted to be his friend. He never even mentioned Andy.

Jeremy came home with some news. He and his brothers had put their house in Cleveland up for sale. They got an offer almost right away. The closing was scheduled in two weeks, minus a day. September 18. He was able to get his request for a Monday granted. Looks like we'll all be taking a trip to Georgia. We didn't think taking Adam out of class one day was going to make a difference. Granted, Adam and I didn't need to go. But we all took every opportunity we could to do things as a family.

The good news for the day turned a little sour an hour into my shift at the hospital. Along with Andrea, we split our time almost evenly between the children's ward and ambulatory patients. There was probably a slight edge toward the children.

"Derek, I've seen how good you are with the kids. We have a new patient who isn't adjusting well to his new situation. I was wondering if you would spend some time with him?"

"Sure. What's his diagnosis?"

"It's an injury, nothing terminal, but his life will be completely different from now on. He lost an arm in a car accident and he's not dealing with it very well."

"Why do you think I can help him? I've never had to deal with an amputee, at least not after bringing them into the ER. And the amputation always came later."

"It's more your bedside manner. You treat everybody with respect, and the children are always comfortable with you. And there's more. His parents are both here, serious but stable condition."

"Shit. Poor guy. Does he know that? What's his name, how old is he, and what room?"

"He knows. I wouldn't ask you to break that news to him. Dennis Chun, he's six and is in room 510."

"Roommate?"

"Not yet."

I head to 510.

"Hi Dennis. I'm Derek. I'm a nurse here. I heard you might need a friend."

"I guess. Mom and dad are here, but they're hurt too."

"Yes, I heard that. Does anything hurt you right now?"

"Just my arm, where they cut it off."

"Does it hurt a lot?"

"No. Just a little."

"Well, that's good."

"Do you know why they had to cut it off?"

I pick up his chart to see exactly what happened. Apparently, it was crushed in the accident.

"It was hurt so badly; the doctors couldn't do anything to save it. It was hurt bad enough to make you real sick if they didn't cut it off."

"Oh. I don't think I'd mind being really sick."

"Why?"

"Because mommy and daddy are."

"But they're going to be OK. They're hurt too, but not too bad. They'll get better, and so will you."

"But what about my hand?"

"Lots of people have learned to get by with one hand or arm. Some people are even born like that. Or worse. They get through it. You'll have lots of help from therapists. Maybe someday you might get a prosthetic arm. A mechanical arm."

"I'd be part robot?"

"In a way, yes. Your mom and dad will be lots of help too. I have a boy at home just a little younger than you. Maybe someday I can talk to your parents and ask them if you could visit."

As long as they aren't assholes like Sheridan.

"That might be fun. Aren't you too young to have a kid?"

"He's not really my kid. He's my cousin. He lost his family, and I was able to get custody of him. I'm one of his guardians."

"How did you get custody?"

"A judge talked to me, my family, my… partner, and his grandparents. She decided Adam would be best served with me and my partner."

"I guess that's cool. It's nice of you to take care of him after he lost his family. How did he lose them?"

"They all died."

"How?"

"They were shot."

"Oh. I feel sad for him. That must have been hard for him."

"It was. It still is, but we love him, and I think everything will turn out good."

"That's good. I'm kind of tired. Can you come back tomorrow?"

"Yes, I'll be here and will come in to see you again."

"Thanks. Goodnight, Derek."

"You're welcome. Goodnight, Dennis."

I head out to look for Andrea.

"How did your visit go?"

"I think OK. He didn't seem too sad, but he made a comment about wishing he was sicker because his parents are. Are they going to be OK?"

"Yes. They're a little touch and go right now, but I don't think their injuries are serious enough to be fatal."

"I hope not. Bad enough he has to get used to having one arm. Losing a parent would be terrible. He did perk up when I said he might get a prosthetic, well, I said mechanical too. He liked the idea of being part robot."

"That's exactly what I meant. You know what to say to kids to boost their mood, even if it's just a little."

"Thanks."

We've sort have gotten into a routine. The three of us getting used to being together and our relatively new lives. The next big item on our agenda is the trip to Georgia.

Sunday September 17

We have a late-morning flight to Atlanta, so we're up kind of early to get to Fort Lauderdale airport on time. Adam's never been on a plane before, so he's a little tentative. Neither have I for that matter, but you know me, strong silent type. On the outside, anyway. On the inside, I'm shitting my britches. I don't know why, I'm just afraid of flying. Add to that the only time Jeremy flew before, he was being kidnapped, and the three of us were all at least a little nervous. No problem getting to the airport. I park us in short-term parking since we're flying back tomorrow night.

There are a lot of people here, so it took a while to get through security. We had to watch the people in front of us so we'd know what to do. But, we got through OK. I guess none of us looked like terrorists. Although the TSA agent did look at Adam suspiciously. No, I think she just thought he was really cute. Well, he is.

What was I afraid of? Sit on the plane, close your eyes, and then open them when you feel the plane hit the ground. It didn't hit too hard, but it was more than a gentle bump. Still in one piece. Oh, I forgot to mention, hold your husband's hand the whole flight. I wonder why he was shaking it so much while we were getting off. Maybe it fell asleep.

Jeremy is driving the rental car, for two reasons. First, he knows the area. Secondly, he'll be heading to the federal penitentiary in Athens to visit his father. Well, maybe torment is a better word. Jeremy thinks he's going to blow a fuse when he finds out we're married. I'd love to see that, even kiss Jeremy in front of him, but Adam doesn't need to see any of that. I'll be staying back at the hotel with him. We made sure to rent one with an indoor pool and arrange a late check-out. Jeremy dropped us back at the hotel after stopping at a branch of our bank to deposit the check. The house sold for more than asking, so, it was a nice amount. Definitely more than either of us wanted to risk losing the check.

Adam and I had a great time. Jeremy got back late afternoon, and joined us in the pool for a little while. Then we got dressed and headed to the airport. I can't wait to hear the story. Jeremy was smiling from the time he walked into the pool area until we got home. I really, really can't wait.

Next Up - "Revisiting the Visit, and Back Home"

Sorry, you'll have to wait too! OK, not sorry.
Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 28
  • Fingers Crossed 4
  • Sad 1
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

7 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

I'm curious if Andy somewhere along the way will seek out Adam I can picture Andy being left out of something among his other friends because he's not supposed to be friends with Adam.

If I were Jeremy I don't know if I would want to visit his Dad he killed his Mom FCOL

Could be. I haven't really thought out Andy's role.

It's not going to be a friendly visit. If you remember, some chapters ago Jeremy said something to the effect that it would annoy his father to know his money paid for their condo. An annoying visit would be kind.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
26 minutes ago, drsawzall said:

I think that Adam has been given a tool to help him gain control over his fears...Loving the fact that Derek is working the children's ward even though it can come with its own set of issues...

There is a bit of serendipity in Jeremy visiting his father in jail after selling his house, I hope Jeremy reminds his father that he will never have to worry about opening another door for the rest of his miserable life...

Have you been reading ahead again?

Good line. I think I'll use it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Children should never have to deal with asshat parents or judgemental ones.

Adam's 5th birthday didn't deserve his classmate Andy's father to be a shit show. Some parents want a friendly clown for their children's birthday party. Not this:

Life is never perfect. Asshats do, unfortunately, exist.

1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Thankfully Adam did not see the 'discussion', but Andy's upset. ( His mom better tell him he did nothing bad. Kids always think they did something). SIGH! 😞.

I have an idea about that topic. We’ll maybe see it next chapter.

1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

First airplane trip for Adam and 'fraidy cat' Uncle Derek.

Big guy, strong, I figured it’d be funny to give him aerophobia.

1 hour ago, Anton_Cloche said:

Hope Derek's 6-year old patient Dennis is doing OK at hospital and his parents recover.

Whatever happens, it’ll be better than the first way I wrote that section. I’d killed his parents.

  • Wow 3
  • Sad 2
Link to comment

They are right; there is one in every group that turns into an asshole; if not about a gay couple, it would be something else.  They just have to think they are right at it all.

I am glad that Derek was able to help reach out to his young patient.  His supervisor is right; he has a natural way about him.

Schools are not always accommodating about switching out schedules over personal issues, even in conservative areas; there can just be too much disruption and set a precedent that is hard to walk back from.

Thought the therapist handled the situation very appropriately.  But therapy will need to be ongoing for a while, maybe a great while.  Smart to reach out to the school as well.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
On 12/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, centexhairysub said:

They are right; there is one in every group that turns into an asshole; if not about a gay couple, it would be something else.  They just have to think they are right at it all.

I am glad that Derek was able to help reach out to his young patient.  His supervisor is right; he has a natural way about him.

Schools are not always accommodating about switching out schedules over personal issues, even in conservative areas; there can just be too much disruption and set a precedent that is hard to walk back from.

Thought the therapist handled the situation very appropriately.  But therapy will need to be ongoing for a while, maybe a great while.  Smart to reach out to the school as well.

Missed this one. Thanks centexhairysub. Agreed about the accommodating part. Minimal spoiler, next chapter we'll find out Andy's still in the same class. Therapy will continue. How much of it I include is a question. Perhaps there will be a relapse of sorts.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

For me, I'm glad Adam is getting along better. And those "people" The hateful one? Glad Derek was bigger than him and could  "ask" him to leave!!. Nice episode.

OT, I mentioned here around the time Jeremy got kidnapped my situation. Well... F them (the haters) I got my house in time for Christmas, it's not the Ritz but it's not shabby either! Fits the budget.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, J J said:

For me, I'm glad Adam is getting along better. And those "people" The hateful one? Glad Derek was bigger than him and could  "ask" him to leave!!. Nice episode.

OT, I mentioned here around the time Jeremy got kidnapped my situation. Well... F them (the haters) I got my house in time for Christmas, it's not the Ritz but it's not shabby either! Fits the budget.

Good for you. I want to see lots of hearts on this comment from my readers!!!

 

I mean JJ’s post.

Edited by Lee Wilson
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Thanks, my friend

It's always nice to have a win over the bad guys.

I can hear Freddie Mercury singing.... 

Edited by J J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, J J said:

Thanks, my friend

It's always nice to have a win over the bad guys.

I can hear Freddie Mercury singing.... 

we are the champions or keep yourself alive?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..