Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 3,341 Words
  • 1,129 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 28. Welcome Home Dennis

So, mea culpa. My idea about the story being a story went over like a lead balloon. I feel bad about cheating you all, so this chapter will pick up just before the "dream sequence" occurred in chapter 27. I hope you enjoy this ending better. Although before I write it, I can't guarantee it will end the story. We'll all find out together. I'll repeat a small portion to help y'all catch up.
Much thanks to @Anton_Cloche for the bulk of the October 1 interlude, somewhat linking in the debacle of the previous chapter.

Wednesday September 27

At noon I walked to the school to get Adam and Andy. Adam was all excited, going to pick up his new brother.

"Mr. A., what does Adam mean about a new brother. He tried to explain it to me, but I didn't get It."

"Mr. B. and I are Adam's legal guardians because his parents died. In our case, we're called foster parents. There's another boy, Dennis, in the hospital, whose parents died too. We're going to be his foster parents too."

"Should I call you guys something like dad, or pa, instead of uncle?"

"If you want to Adam. We didn't want to make you do that if you weren't ready. We're not replacing your parents, just filling in for them."

"I don't care if you replace my dad. But since you're both guys, you can't replace mom, so calling you guys dad would be OK."

"Sure is. We can decide on exactly what you want to call each of us later. Right now it's time to go get Dennis."

"Am I going too?"

"Yes, you are Andy. You get to be his first friend if you want. Since Adam's already calling him brother."

"Cool."

"Very cool."

We got into my SUV, now with 2 extra booster seats in the back seat and headed to the hospital. When we got to Dennis' room, he was already dressed in the clothes we brought last night. The day nurse was waiting with him.

"Thanks for getting him ready, Lisa."

"I had to. He was driving me nuts about it."

I left a note for Andrea, reminding her I'd be taking the next two nights off to help Dennis get acclimated to his new home. Dennis was happy to make a new friend in Andy. We left the hospital and went to the store to buy Dennis more clothes and whatever else he wanted. I bought Andy a Florida Panthers sweatshirt, so he didn't feel left out. Then it was a stop at the supermarket to pick up something special to make for Dennis' homecoming and Jeremy's four-million-dollar surprise.

------------------------

After introducing Andy to Dennis, I decided to check with Trish, to see if she was available for dinner. I assumed she would be working, so I simply sent a text saying if she was free, her and Julian were welcome to join us for dinner at six-thirty. I decided to buy enough for seven hungry mouths. Hmmm, maybe eight. Julian was fourteen, after all.

Once we got to the store, I asked, "What's your favorite food, Dennis?"

"Why?"

"I plan on making dinner for you and your new extended family. As a celebration for your homecoming, you get to pick the menu."

He stopped a moment to think about it. Then he smiled. I was glad he had something in mind. But, boy, was I surprised.

"Cool. Well, it's not my favorite, but just something I like I haven't eaten in forever. Is that OK?"

"Sure. Whatever you want, as long as I can figure out how to make it."

"It shouldn't be hard."

"OK, fire away."

Dennis snickered, trying to hold back laughter.

"Peanut butter and jelly."

He lost his battle with the laughter. It was infectious, we all laughed right along with him. After I recovered, I tried again.

"OK, you got me good. Really, what would you like?"

More snickers. I knew he wasn't done joking, but I wasn't about to take that away from him.

"Bologna and cheese."

I just couldn't resist taking advantage of the opportunity.

"Fried bologna, or cold?"

He frowned.

"I wasn't serious that time either."

"Got ya!"

"That was mean, Uncle Derek."

"Sorry, Dennis."

"Dennis, Uncle Derek said that because him and Uncle Jeremy are our foster parents, we could call them dad, or pa, or whatever we wanted to. Let's talk alone later and decide."

"OK. I can do that, since I hated my parents anyway."

"Why did you hate your parents?"

"They sold drugs, Andy. My father was high when we had the accident, when I lost my arm. Probably high when they blew up the house and killed themselves. I got burns from that."

"Oh. I'm sorry about that. I guess that's a good reason."

Time to get back on track.

"So, about dinner?"

"I don't really know many different things. We almost always had fast food, when they remembered to feed me at all."

That hit me hard. Now I'm really happy we'll be able to make a difference in his life.

"That calls for something really special then. I'm guessing sometimes that fast food was hamburgers?"

"Yeah, lots of times."

"Then a better quality of beef it will be."

We hit the boys clothing section first. Sometimes shopping in a Wal-Mart supercenter had its real benefits. We got Dennis another half-dozen outfits, including more underwear, t-shirts, and socks. His sneakers were pretty beat up, so we added a pair of those as well.

As we walked through the food section, I asked Dennis other things. He never had too many vegetables, so I went conservative there. I picked up a bag of russet potatoes and about a pound and a half of green beans. There will be enough bacon left over from the pound to mix some of it in with the beans. I added sour cream and chives to the basket for anyone who wanted that on their baked potatoes. Maybe two pounds of bacon would be better. We can really load up our potatoes if we want. I picked out the two best looking value packs of filets. There were ten total, but having too much beats not having enough.

"Can anybody think of anything else?"

Dennis looked hesitant.

"Anything you want, Dennis, don't be afraid to ask. It's your special day."

"Can I get some candy?"

"Shoot. I bet you never got much in the way of snacks either. Off to the cookie and candy aisle. Maybe Adam and Andy can suggest some things you'd like. Just a couple of each though."

I silently thanked my late aunt that she didn't name her older son Amos. I'd never be able to say Amos and Andy with a straight face.

"That would be OK. You're right. I never really got any snacks."

We decided on chocolate chip and fudge stripe cookies, Hershey kisses and skittles for candy. A quick stop in the frozen food section for some ice cream, and then it was off to the checkout counter for a four-hundred-and-fifty-dollar clothing and food bill, which would be worth it at twice the price, and then home. After Adam showed Dennis his and the guest rooms, then they all wanted to help in the kitchen. Fortunately, there was enough time to include five and six-year-old 'assistance' with dinner. Trish had texted back, accepting the invitation.

The food was in the ovens, or on the stove, as the case may be, so I enlisted the boys' help in getting the table set. Jeremy got home, sweaty as usual, and was banished to the shower.

A short time later, some juggling was necessary when Al showed up with a guest. Pamela seemed like a wonderful girl. Jeremy and I were happy for his older brother. The menu was well received by all. Bacon wrapped filet mignon, green beans sauteed with butter and bacon, and loaded baked potatoes. Jeremy and Julian helped guarantee no leftover meat, eating a second filet each. More power to Julian, I don't think he got much steak at home recently.

Jeremy said to his brother, "I'm glad you came Al. It's good seeing you again. You really didn't need to bring gifts."

"Happy to do it. It was just more children's books. Thanks for the warning about the two extra boys, Derek. I wouldn't have wanted to leave Andy and Julian out. The homecoming celebration was just a fortunate coincidence. I have something else to give you."

"Just being here with your new girlfriend is present enough."

"I guess we get to keep the stock, Pam."

"Al, don't be mean."

"Stock?"

"Our father was ignorant in so many ways, but he was a pretty swift investor. There was more than we initially found. So, I present to you, as another way of sticking it to the asshole, sorry kids, ten thousand shares of Google and Microsoft stock."

Giggles from the boys.

"Ten thousand?"

"He had thirty thousand of each in all."

"That's got to be worth a bundle."

"I'm glad you're still sitting down. As of today's closing, four point four."

"Four point four what?"

"Million."

"No fu... no way."

"Hehe. Uncle Jeremy almost said a bad word."

"Yep, caught myself though, Adam. Wow. That's amazing. I wish I knew that when I visited him in jail. It would have really hurt him knowing he gave the three of us, wow, almost fifteen million in total."

"Are we rich?"

I answered, "Yes, Dennis. I think the term is filthy rich."

"Cool."

We sat and talked for a little while. The younger boys went into Adam's room and started reading their books. Julian stayed with the adults, saying he would start the series Al and Pam brought later. He'd heard of Ridley Pearson's 'Kingdom Keepers' series but hadn't read it and was looking forward to doing so. Julian was in ninth grade and was an A minus student, so we knew he truly did appreciate the books.

Al and Pam left first, having a two and a half hour drive back to Boca Raton. Trish and her boys thanked them for the books, and left a little while later, thanking us for the excellent meal. Then just the four of us remained. Adam and Dennis had an announcement to make. They decided Adam was to be the spokesman, having lived here already.

"We talked about what we want to call you guys. Since Dad wouldn't make sense for both of you, Uncle Derek, you get to be Dad and Uncle Jeremy, you get to be Pop. Is that OK?"

Trying our best to hold back the tears, Jeremy and I agreed that was a great idea. Then came the question that didn't surprise me in the least.

"Can Dennis sleep in my bed with me, or does he have to sleep in the guest room, since Mr. Garrett said he was supposed to have his own room?"

I looked at Jeremy, who nodded ever so slightly.

"You can sleep together, but no goofing off. Adam, you have school and I have to bring Dennis in and get him signed up."

"Will he be in kindy garden with me, or first grade?"

"It's called kindergarten, but that will be for the school to decide. Probably first grade, but we'll have to see."

"OK."

"If other six-year-olds are in first grade, I'd rather do that. Nothing against you Adam, it will just make more sense later on."

"That's OK. We'll be together all the rest of the time."

"Alright, bath time. Who's first?"

Jeremy was in charge of bath time since I was usually at work by this time. The boys looked at each other, not being sure. Jeremy helped out.

"You can switch off. How about Dennis is first tonight, Adam can be first next time?"

"OK." "OK."

I was afraid they'd want to bathe together. Not that it would be a problem, I just didn't think it would be a good idea right away, with having Dennis' healing burns to deal with.

"I'll help with Dennis, so you'll know what to do with his burns going forward, Jeremy."

"Sounds good. I was kind of wondering about that."

"It will probably only be a week or two that we have to do anything special."

We all headed toward the bathroom. I undressed Dennis, Adam sat on the toilet seat naked, waiting his turn. There was no way we were going to start teaching them body shame. If they were comfortable being naked together, we felt there would be nothing wrong with it. Obviously we wouldn't encourage it if their opinions changed, but for now, it was innocent and there was no reason to freak out about it. Adam had previously mentioned that his mom would bathe he and Larry, who was three when he died, together anyway. Dennis didn't seem to mind either.

Thursday September 28

After Jeremy left for work, I got the boys ready for school. Dennis loved his new clothes. I was thinking he probably didn't have much of a selection before. I walked in with them, and took Dennis to the office.

"Hi. I need to talk to someone about getting my foster son enrolled."

The principal's assistant said she'd be able to help.

"I can help. Theresa Lisle. What is your son's name?"

I had to smile at the way she asked that.

"Dennis Chun."

"Do you have a birth certificate?"

"No. Everything was lost in a fire. But I have a few documents from CPS that should be acceptable replacements."

I handed her everything Leland had left. After looking through it all, she felt it was mostly good enough.

"Where was he going to school before? I don't see any reference to that here."

"He actually was never enrolled before. His parents were, well, a little irresponsible."

"Well, at six, missing kindergarten isn't really an issue, so I think we'll put him in Mrs. Davis' first grade class. Dennis, do you write with your right hand?"

"Yes."

"Good. It may have complicated things if it wasn't his strong hand."

"If you would just sign here, Mr. Ariens?"

"Please, call me Derek."

"Thank you. I don't think Mrs. Davis will mind the interruption. Let's take a walk to her classroom, but if you could wait outside, Derek."

"That's fine."

I followed and looked in through the window. Theresa spoke quietly with Mrs. Davis, then Mrs. Davis introduced Dennis to the class. She cautioned the children not to make fun of his disability and that he would tell them about it if and when he was ready. Dennis said "hi everybody" and took a seat at an empty desk in the second row. Theresa spoke to Mrs. Davis once more, and pointed at the door, and me, before she left.

"Thank you Derek. I assume the contact information for Dennis is the same as for Adam?"

"Yes, it is."

"Very good. Dennis seems very outgoing, I don't think he'll have any problems fitting in."

"Yes, I think so too. Thank you. Have a nice day."

"You too."

I left the school and went back home. It felt awfully empty all of a sudden. I suppose I'll get used to it.

The next couple days went smoothly. Saturday night, not so much.

Sunday October 1, 4 AM

Jeremy and I were startled awake by a screamed "NOOO" coming from Adam's bedroom. Rushing down the hall we entered the room to find Dennis sitting up in his bed soaked in perspiration and crying, while Adam hugged him tightly.

Dennis had only been released from the hospital three days ago, into our care as foster parents. He had slept through the first nights without incident, and tonight, we immediately thought he was reliving the meth lab explosion that killed his parents and injured him.

As we hugged the boys to calm them down, I used my patient interaction skills to gently ask Dennis if he'd had a bad dream about that explosion. Dennis held on to me for dear life. Slowly, he stopped crying and said, not that explosion, but in his dream, a building Jeremy was in fell down killing him, and TV news about Derek dying jumping from the same building.

I assured him it was a bad dream. That he and Jeremy were alive and would do everything we could, to never leave him and Adam.

Jeremy agreed, saying that they had the financial ability, (thanks to that windfall of stocks that he just received), so that he and I could spend more time at home with the boys. We'd talk about that the next day.

Later Sunday

The boys were playing in their bedroom, as we had begun to think of what Adam's room had been. Jeremy started the conversation.

"We need to talk about last night. It may be a one time thing, but if it repeats often, us not sleeping well will make things difficult."

"What are you thinking?"

"Well, first and foremost we give Dr. Wayne a call tomorrow and set up appointments for Dennis. We knew he would have more issues than Adam did, but Adam never screamed quite like that."

"Agreed. I could be wrong, but finally having a stable environment would be more devastating to Dennis if he were to lose it."

"Sounds reasonable. Secondly, and I'm not sure you're going to like this, but I think you should quit your job to stay home full-time."

"You're right, I don't really like it, but I know it's probably the best way. I can continue the online training at Chamberlain, get my nursing degree, then reapply at the hospital in a couple years."

"I know it's a big sacrifice, but my benefits are better than yours are from the hospital, strange as it may seem."

"It's a bigger sacrifice making Dennis go through that any longer than necessary. My sacrifice vs. his? No competition."

EPILOGUE

Dennis took to therapy very well. He heard a lot of the same suggestions from Dr. Wayne that Adam did. He still had times where he was afraid of being left alone, but as the days passed, they occurred less and less often. He got his first prosthesis about six months after he moved in with us. It was pretty basic, but as he grew and he would be approximately the same size longer, they got more and more sophisticated. By the time he was eighteen and fully grown, you almost couldn't tell it wasn't flesh and blood.

I actually enjoyed staying home. I was able to rekindle the friendship with Brenda. We'd meet for lunch once a week or so. I saw mom, dad, and Frank more often too. And most importantly, since I was able to go to bed at the same time as Jeremy, we had more opportunities to have sex and remain close.

As the boys got older, we revamped the guest room to make it Dennis'. We had discovered Dennis' birthday was four days before Adam's. We adopted both boys between Adam's sixth, and Dennis' seventh birthdays. We rented the pavilion at the nearby pool and park and invited everybody we knew for a combined adoption/birthday party. I think we had a few party crashers that drifted over from the pool, but we didn't care.

After not working for three years, I got my Bachelor of Science in Nursing and reapplied at St. Vincent's. I was given the four to twelve shift, which worked out fairly well. I got the boys home from school and dropped them at my parents' house for mom to watch for the roughly two hours before Jeremy finished work. Mom enjoyed having them there. She said it helped keep her young. My dad became chief of police at the same time.

It wasn't all good news, depending on your perspective. Jeremy's father was diagnosed with lung cancer five years into his sentence. It metastasized quickly and he was gone three months later. We did visit him a couple times during the final three months of his life. It was hard to hold the grudge after finding out he was dying. He even got to meet his grandsons before he died. They were almost ten and eleven by then, so it wasn't as difficult a situation as it would have been earlier. Even though he was in prison, his death, being from natural causes, presented us with another small chunk of change. We used the fifty thousand dollars to increase the boys' college funds further.

THE END

I hope you all with think this is a better ending. While personally I liked the other, I must agree with most of the comments, it wasn't the best way to go.
Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 30
  • Angry 2
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



1 hour ago, weinerdog said:

IMHO you didn't have to do that but I'm glad you did. One author @Littlelovestories on her story A Promise To Protect in the last chapter the story ended then the wrote "And here is an alternative ending" and the alternative ending was dark. If you wanted to do something like that in the future I'm sure most readers would be okay with that

Yeah, I know I didn’t have to, but I felt bad so many people were disappointed.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
52 minutes ago, quietguy49 said:

I dont think most of the readers like dark and sad endings..There's nothing wrong with having sunshine, lollipops and unicorns for an ending.. There is enough darkness in the world without having to read about it in stories.Definately a much better ending. Thank you.☺️

Welcome. I guess this way more people are happy.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
53 minutes ago, centexhairysub said:

I do understand why you chose to end the story the original way; and I do not think you should have changed it just to accommodate our opinions.  Your writing is yours, first and foremost.  That said, I do appreciate this ending more.  

I do feel if the original ending had not been so jarring; I am not sure how you would have done it; but if you had given some hint that what was happening was not the reality of the story, I think it would have been able to be accepted more.

 

I appreciate the input. If I knew in advance that would be what I would do, I could have left hints. But very little of what I write is planned more than even one chapter ahead.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
JohnnyC

Posted (edited)

Thank You Lee , I did enjoy this ending better as it was fleshed out more with their handsome adopted boys . The Original ending threw me , Until I read it a few more times then it made sense also . I look forward to your next story 📚📖👀

Edited by JohnnyC
  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JohnnyC said:

Thank You Lee , I did enjoy this ending better as it was fleshed out more with their handsome adopted boys . The Original ending threw me , Until I read it a few more times then it made sense also . I look forward to your next story 📚📖👀

It’s great that you made sense out of the other ending. But I’m also glad I re-did the ending.

  • Love 4
Link to comment

I am actually sorry you did this, i much prefer the original, for some reason i found it much more believable/realistic.

  • Love 3
Link to comment
30 minutes ago, Geemeedee said:

This ending works better, in my opinion, because the story is wrapped up nicely. The original ending could’ve worked if you spent a few more chapters playing out Derek’s mental breakdown to where he felt suicide was the only answer. In other words, more character development. Also, the boys were completely missing from the original ending, which didn’t make sense. There are times where such a jarring ending can work, but this story was not one of them. 

Well, in the original ending, the boys weren’t really there. Basically everything from chapter two until the end was Derek’s story while he was in the psych ward. But, I’m glad you liked this one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, rdale said:

I am actually sorry you did this, i much prefer the original, for some reason i found it much more believable/realistic.

Appreciate your preference for the original. I’m sure you and dr. s won’t be the only ones. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

As opposed to some of the other commentors I am among those who are glad you changed the ending.  I wasn't happy with it the first time but also having written some stories I had to feel that you as the author most certainly had the right to end the story as you wished.  I agree most of us as readers prefer to see happy endings for the stories we follow.  Personally when children are involved I have difficulty when they end badly.  I didn't originally wish to comment but with the rewrite I felt I needed too, so, kudo's to you for a great story.  Some difficult situations were encountered but in the end (with the alternate ending) all is well and the reader can come away with a warm feeling after investing their time in following the story to have experienced something good and uplifting.  I guess we prefer this type of ending when we see and hear so much of reality in the opposite direction since that is what the news agencies want to emphasize. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

This is a great ending to a story.  I love it.  Thank you, for such a great and heart warming story.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Lee Wilson said:

Well, in the original ending, the boys weren’t really there. Basically everything from chapter two until the end was Derek’s story while he was in the psych ward. But, I’m glad you liked this one.

Hooooly shit. I didn’t grasp that at all! (Obviously.) I thought Jeremy suffered an accident in the future.

I agree with @centexhairysub— subtle hints along the way that readers can put together at the end a la “Sixth Sense” is the way to go.

Edited by Geemeedee
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

The new ending is tame and I do like it.

The last chapter that I thought was the conclusion was a shocker and it was thrilling!

Well written either way, first ending was my fave @Lee Wilson!!

 

  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..