Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 2,970 Words
  • 1,410 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 9. Derek, and Letting the Dominos Fall Where They May

Monday June 12 - Afternoon

After lunch I headed back up to Jeremy's room.

"So, I called my company. They understood, especially with William's death. My job will be waiting for me when I go back to work. The timing will dictate who I work for directly, but they've definitely got enough business to keep me on."

"Awesome. That means we'll be able to get our own place sooner."

"You mean?"

"Yes. I've decided I will move in with you. I can't say exactly when, I need to discuss it with my parents first. I'm sure they won't say anything to prevent it, but I can't just disappear."

"No, that wouldn't be too smart. But that's great. I hope I can get out of here soon. I've had enough of hospitals."

"Yeah, even visiting one every day is getting old. Plus, I'm going to have to go back to work as soon as you're released. We're short guys now and I really feel guilty about what happened. I mean they were looking for me. Danny and Dennis getting killed is partially my fault."

"Stop. Don't go there. What those assholes did, they did on their own, or were told to by one of their leaders. I have a feeling if you were there, they wouldn't have wanted to leave any witnesses anyway. Besides, they were looking for you to use you as bait, along with your mother and brother. You had no control over it, so don't feel like it's your fault. It isn't."

"I guess. It just sucks though. So much death around me lately. I'm really not even sure I want to go back to the squad."

"You said one guy that was shot survived, right?"

"Yeah. Nate. I don't know him really well. He wouldn't have been shot if I was there."

"And if you were there, and they took you, who would have thought to track Frank's watch? You'd be stuck there with the rest of your family, just hoping to get saved. You may have saved your entire family's life. That has to count for something."

"Yeah, I guess. But now that I have time to think about it all, it's hard not to feel guilty."

"Is Nate here?"

"I guess so. I don't know for sure. Why?"

"Go find out. And if he is here, go see him. If he's awake he'll tell you the same thing. None of it was your fault."

"I don't know."

"Go. I'm going to take a nap. As you know, I didn't sleep too well last night. I'll see you in a little while."

Jeremy rolls on to his side, facing away from me. I don't know for sure if he's going to nap or not, but he's not going to do anything to keep me here.

"OK. I'll see you in a little while. I love you."

"I love you too. Now, go."

I head to the nurse's station to see if they can tell me if Nate's here. They tell me he's in the ICU's step-down unit. He doesn't need around the clock monitoring, but they're still keeping a closer eye on him. I can visit, but no more than ten minutes, and only if there's nobody else visiting. I head up to the fourth floor and find the unit.

"I'd like to see Nate Trout."

"Yes. He's in 404. Please don't stay longer than five or ten minutes. He's still in serious condition and needs his rest."

"No problem. Thanks."

I walk into Nate's room; fortunately, he's awake.

"Hi Nate. I hear you're getting better."

"Oh, hi Derek. Yeah, getting there. We were on the news this morning. I'm glad everything worked out OK with your family."

"Thanks. And I'm sorry you got shot on account of me."

"How on account of you?"

"If I was working, you wouldn't have been there."

"You were out for a perfectly good reason. Your boyfriend needed you. I was happy to pick up the overtime. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"Why did you say boyfriend?"

"Carol told me. She came to visit last night after I was moved into this room."

"Wow. I didn't think Carol knew."

"She's a smart girl. I'm sure she picked up plenty of signals. Anyway, so it wasn't your fault. Shit happens all the time. It was just our turn. I'll be alright. It'll take a while, but I'll be back. Thankfully, the bullet missed my heart."

"What about your wife and kids?"

"They're fine. Worried, as expected."

"No. I meant about blaming me."

"Stop that right now. OK, calm down Nate. Not good to get yourself worked up. Nobody is blaming you Derek, so you shouldn't either."

"I guess. I still feel guilty about it."

"I can't stop you from doing that, all I can say is it's wrong to feel that way."

"Thanks. Well, they told me to keep it short. I'll stop back in another time. Hopefully you'll be able to step down again to a regular room."

"Yeah, they told me probably another day or so. Goodbye Derek. And really, don't feel bad about this."

"I'll try. Bye."

I head back to Jeremy's room but once again, stop at his nurse's station.

"Does Dr. Jerome have any timeframe for Jeremy Berger's release?"

Two full days after the swelling is down to 5% of its peak. Jeremy had another CT scan first thing this morning. It was at 12%. So, my guess is he'll be released Friday."

"Thanks."

I was walking into Jeremy's room and Dr. Jerome was walking out.

"Hello Derek. Just checking on sleeping beauty in there. He's making good progress. I'd say by tonight or tomorrow morning the swelling will be gone, or close enough to it. I heard he's remembered a lot?"

"Yes. He thinks everything, but obviously can't know for sure. I haven't noticed anything major."

"Great. I'm sure you're both anxious for him to go home. A few more days. If his scan tomorrow morning is where I expect it to be, I can see him going home Friday."

"That's what the nurse said. That's great."

"Yes. Sometimes I think the nurses know more than I do about what's going on. Haha. Well, more patients to see. Take it easy and take care of your friend."

"I will. On both."

I went back into Jeremy's room. The doctor was right. He is a sleeping beauty. I sit quietly and check my email, the news, etc. Hmm, this is interesting. Apparently, another inmate heard Sam Springs give the orders to abduct my family and leave no witnesses. They've added three counts of kidnapping, two counts of conspiracy to commit murder, and one count of accessory to attempted murder. Of the five members of his organization that were shot yesterday, four remain in critical but stable condition. The fifth succumbed to his injuries late last night. I wonder if they're here. Maybe I can go hold a pillow over their faces. Wishful thinking: I'd never do anything like that. Jeremy woke up a short while later.

"Hey, you're back. How is Nate doing?"

"He's improving. He basically told me the same thing you did, not my fault. Now it just has to sink in."

"Cool. I had a thought, you moving in with me presents two problems. First, parking. Even worse if Mrs. Perch gives me William's truck. Mrs. Linden wouldn't be too happy about one vehicle, never mind two, blocking her view to the neighborhood. Secondly will the Lindens even allow it based on my current lease?"

"Yeah. Unless we like walking a bit to retrieve them when needed. I don't think it would be an insurmountable issue. Just something we'd need to think about. And I guess we'd have to ask them before we went ahead and did it."

I stayed for a while longer, told Jeremy both the doctor and nurse said he'd probably be going home Friday. I also said I would call my supervisor and see he wanted/needed me for any shifts tomorrow and Thursday. And I'd let him know the outcome. I make the call from the hospital parking lot.

"Hello?"

"Hi Lieutenant Fellows, Derek Arriens here."

"Derek. I heard about the excitement yesterday. How is everything going?"

"Getting back to normal."

"And your friend?"

"Also improving. They're expecting to release him on Friday, so I was calling to see if you need me to cover any shifts tomorrow or Thursday."

"Oh, you're a lifesaver. I was just trying to juggle personnel to prevent anybody working 24 hours straight. I got fill-ins for your team today, but I've only located two that can make it tomorrow. Friday's still far enough away, but you taking 7AM to 7PM tomorrow and Thursday would be a huge help."

"I can do that. If you even want to call the weekend no-pay days so it wouldn't be overtime, I'd be OK with that."

"Too many strings to pull to approve that. A little overtime is easier to swing, especially being down three. Oh, and sorry about your mates. If the schedule conflicts with their funerals, it's OK to take the rig to the funerals just in case something comes up."

"That would work. I don't have that info yet, but knowing there won't be a hard conflict is good."

"Wonderful. Anything else?"

"No, that's it."

"Great, see you tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I had to step up, couldn't locate two for tomorrow without including myself."

"Got it. OK, see ya then."

Time to head home for the next conversation. I wait until after dinner, so everyone is not so distracted. Dad's home for the next couple days, although he'll probably do whatever he can remotely. Dinner is reasonably early. I follow them into the living room after everything is cleaned up.

"Joining us for the news?"

"Yeah, I can do that. My main purpose was a discussion."

"OK. Let's just wait to see if we're the lead story on the local news still."

Not first, but we were second. Dad muted the TV after the story was over. Nothing really new since what I read this afternoon.

"OK. Probably best if I just dive right in. Jeremy asked me to move in with him and I want to do it. But I wanted to see how you felt about it first."

Dad speaks up first.

"To be honest, I'm surprised the idea hadn't come up sooner. I guess the activities of the past week had some bearing on this?"

"Definitely. We're both, I guess I'd say a little uneasy being apart. There are a couple details to work out, like Jeremy's lease. We're not sure the Lindens will allow it. That and they don't want one vehicle parked in front of their house, much less two."

"Is Mrs. Perch selling Jeremy the truck?"

"Not sure yet, mom, but she actually said she'd be giving it to him, if anything."

"What about his job?"

"He called today. They'd be happy to have him back as soon as he is able. They're short-staffed too. On that note, I'll be working tomorrow and Thursday, to fill in the gaps Lt. Fellows can't fill. Jeremy is scheduled to be released Friday."

"Well, you're over 19, you don't really need our say so. But I don't have a problem with it if you can clear all the hurdles."

"Thanks, dad. Mom?"

"Yes, you're grown now. I knew it had to happen sometime. Not happy about you leaving, but I won't stop you."

"I'll only be a mile away. I'm not moving to Seattle or something. You'll see me all the time. OK not all the time, but you know what I mean."

"Yes." "We do."

"What about Frank?"

"I'll tell him now, but I think he's less of a question. He'll probably want the bigger room."

"No doubt."

Knock, knock

"Enter."

"Hey Frank."

"Derek, how's it going? Jeremy getting better?"

"Yep. He thinks he remembers everything. Hopefully he'll be getting out on Friday."

"That's great. But you didn't knock to give me a chance to ask about Jeremy."

"No. I have something else to tell you."

"Shoot. Oh, damn. Sorry."

"It's OK. I'm trying to deal with that."

"Have mom sign you up for therapy too. We're both going."

"That's an idea. Anyway, Jeremy asked me to move in with him. I'm going to do it if we can clear a few hurdles."

"Good for you. I could tell you were out of sorts this past week, with his health in question."

"You're not bothered I'm leaving?"

"Sure, I'll miss you, but you had to spread your wings and fly away sooner or later."

"Thanks, Freddie."

"Hehe. Caught that, huh?"

"Like I'd miss that?"

"True. I don't know anybody else who knows all the words to every Queen song."

"Not true. I still struggle with 'Las Palabras de Amor.'"

"OK, all the English songs. When are you leaving?"

"Rushing me out?"

"No. Just know want to know when I'll get a bigger room."

"I pegged that one too. I don't know. Like I said, there are a few hurdles."

"Well, whenever it is, good luck."

"Thanks. Gotta be up early tomorrow for work. If you have to piss or shit, do it now, so I can get in the shower."

"I'm good. Thanks."

"Later."

"Yep."

I gave Jeremy a call to let him know I'd be working tomorrow and Thursday, so I won't see him until after 7. He said getting back at it will be good for me. I just hope there are no freaky calls.

Wednesday

I lucked out. Maybe because Lt. Fellows was riding with us, there wasn't anything strange. One minor injury car accident and a hospital transfer. The third person on the team was one of the other women on the squad, Alice Raines. About 40, two pre-teen kids. Has been with us 7 years. She usually works the overnight, so I didn't know her well. That changed after 12 hours together. We bond quickly here. Have to. Relying on and trusting your partners is crucial. I head straight to the hospital after my shift. It was quiet enough we were able to bring in dinner, so that saved me some time.

"Hey Jer."

"Hi Derek."

We kiss hello, he asks me how work was. I said OK.

"There's been something in the back of my mind since last Tuesday. Now that things are looking better for you, I figure it's time to ask."

"What's that?"

"Well, I never knew your real name before the accident. How did you get to be Jeremy Berger from Bryson Jeremiah Burlington?"

"I... I don't remember."

"That was awfully quick. You remember, but it's not good."

"Right; it's something I'm not proud of doing."

"It's OK. I won't get mad or anything."

"Well, all the documents are fake."

"Doesn't it cost a lot to get that done?"

"Um, yeah. Usually."

"But..."

"You promise you won't get mad?"

"I promise. Whatever it was, you did it before I knew you. Unless it was more illegal than having the documents at all..."

"Well, I had to get Bryson off the grid. I knew my father would look for me. I asked around in the shelter, there's always someone shady there. Anyway, I found a guy that would do the documents, um, for barter."

"What did you have to trade?"

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want you to think bad of me. I traded my mouth and ass for two months."

"Wow. I don't know what to say."

"I can deal with anything as long as one of the options isn't 'goodbye.' Is it?"

"No. You were in a no win situation. You did what you had to do to get by. Do you still have the Burlington IDs?"

"Yeah. That box in the closet we found; it has a false bottom."

"Shit. We have to get you legal again as soon as we can. How did...? Your medical insurance is in Jeremy's name?"

"Everything."

"We'll figure this out when you go home, but it needs to be fixed."

Thursday was a little hairier at work. Add to that riding with two other people I didn't know well, but we got through the day. The visit with Jeremy after work was pleasant. We left any heavy topics for tomorrow.

Friday

I slept in a little. Going back after a long layoff, I was out of practice getting up early. I got to the hospital around 11. Jeremy was dressed and ready to go.

"Wow, if I knew you'd be ready I would have tried to get here earlier."

"No worries. I've only been waiting two hours."

"Shit. Sorry."

"I'm kidding. I just finished getting dressed a couple minutes ago."

"Jerk."

"Haha. Just have to wait for my limo and we're out of here."

An orderly came with a wheelchair about ten minutes later. It was Andy, the one I met the other day. He chatted all the way out.

"Damn, my favorite patient is leaving me. Well, at least you're sitting. Had one of my charges die yesterday. I didn't get to roll him out. Three gunshot wounds, never really had a chance. He had a shootout with the cops. He lost. No great loss. Fucker had a hand in kidnapping a cop and his family. Three more of his buddies are basically on death watch. I say good, our taxes won't go to feed and house them for forty years."

"Derek, isn't that..."

"Yeah, it's interesting. I agree, good riddance."

I had to cut Jeremy off. No reason for Andy to know it was my family. We may never get out of here.


Next Up - "Jeremy Berger Disappears, and Clearing Hurdles"

Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 25
  • Fingers Crossed 4
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

26 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

One thing I'm worried about happening is after Jeremy becomes Bryson will that be enough reason for the insurance co. not to pay? They'll jump on anything to avoid paying

Definitely something I've been thinking about. This may end up being a place where fiction bears absolutely no resemblance to fact. We'll see what I come up with...

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..