Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 2,484 Words
  • 1,420 Views
  • 13 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 6. Which Jeremy Wakes up on Saturday?

Saturday June 10

It was so hard to crawl out of bed this morning. Four days of barely being Jeremy's friend is starting to get to me. I know Brenda was right last night. I should get on the 'it'll be OK' team, it's just so difficult. First, he loses most of his memory. Then he loses the rest of it. Finally, he reaches out to me because he has no other choice. And how do you forget you're gay? I guess when you forget everything else, it just comes along for the ride. He's lucky he's in the hospital, he doesn't need to remember how to tie his shoes. Fuck, that was a cruel thought. I'm losing it. And the worst part of that is when I was like that before, Jeremy was there to turn me around. What do I do now?

Knock, knock

"Yeah?"

"You OK bro? It sounds like you're crying."

Am I? Oh, shit. I sure am.

"Come on in, Frank."

"Probably a stupid question, I know the answer is Jeremy, but what's wrong?"

"I'm getting close to the breaking point. Being around Jeremy, but him not really being there is killing me."

"I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, but you just have to believe it's going to get better. Also, keep in mind where Mrs. Perch's mind must be."

"Oh, fuck. I completely forgot about the funeral yesterday. Well, I was only expecting to be there to bring Jeremy. Geez, one more thing to feel bad about."

"Don't look at it like that. Like you said, the only reason you'd have been there was for Jeremy. Jeremy doesn't remember him, so even if he wasn't in the hospital, why would he have wanted to go? You didn't even know who he was until the accident. You can't control everything."

"Seems like I can't control anything."

"Welcome to the human race, bro. Only a few people control everything. The rest if us are just along for the ride."

"Ain't that the truth."

"You need an escape. You'll be home for dinner, right?"

"Yeah, that's about as long as I can bear to be at the hospital."

"Good. After dinner I'm taking you to F1 Speed. Get your mind off everything."

"That just might work. Thanks."

"Anytime. See you later. Right?"

"Right."

I feel a little better. Who knew the runt would have some good ideas? I head down for some breakfast, back up for a shower, and hit the road. It's late enough to get to the hospital after visiting hours start, so I skip the uniform.

"Good morning Jeremy."

"Good morning Derek Miles."

Did I mention my middle name recently? I don't think so.

"You remember?"

"Just the weirdest things so far. Your middle name. That I like Molly Hatchet, but I don't have a fucking idea who she is."

I couldn't help but laugh.

"What?"

"It's not a she. Well, not the one you like, anyway. They're a country rock band."

"Oh. So she's not married to someone named Danny Joe Brown?"

Oh my God. I can't stop laughing. I know it's not nice, but it's just too funny.

"You're fucking with me, right? You remember it right, you're just playing me."

By the look on his face, I realize he isn't.

"Oh, I'm sorry man. It just seemed so unreal. Danny was Molly Hatchet's lead singer. But it's great that you're remembering some things."

"I did remember something important."

"What's that?"

"You gave me a ring. I don't remember where it is, but it was an anniversary of some sort. Right?"

I feel like a huge weight just lifted off my shoulders.

"Yeah. Anniversary of our first date."

"That makes me being gay a lot less confusing. Actually a couple somethings important."

I'm feeling better by the second.

"What else?"

"I said I love you when you gave me that ring."

"Oh God. Oh, thank you God. I love you too Jeremy."

"I know. I don't really know you well yet, but I do know I love you."

"Can I get a kiss?"

"I think the doctors will allow that."

I lean over and give him a kiss. I can't help myself but to make it linger as long as he'll let it. Apparently, it could have gone on longer.

"Ahem."

"Oh, shit. Um, hi Dr. Jerome."

"Hello, Derek, was it?"

"Yeah. I was just so happy Jeremy is remembering more."

"It's quite alright. I like the enthusiasm. Having someone caring for him that much will only make the healing process better. But, anyway. The swelling is down to about 50% of its peak. At this rate, he should be back to where he should be by Monday."

"That's awesome."

"It is Jeremy. With the memories returning, I'm confident you'll get almost everything back."

"Almost?"

"There still may be some residual gaps for quite some time, but then nobody remembers everything from their life, except in David Baldacci novels."

"Oh, I guess that's OK then."

"Excellent, in fact. I'm not going to be in a hurry to release you like Dr. Patel was, however. A couple extra days for observation are definitely called for due to the relapse. Well, that's all I wanted for now. I'll stop back in later. As you were."

I thought I heard him snicker a little. He obviously wasn't upset by us kissing.

"Well, Derek. Shall we?"

"Shall we what?"

"Go back to as we were."

"Oh, hell yeah."

Spending most of the day with Jeremy was better than I expected it to be when I woke up. As the day wore on, he remembered more isolated things. It was slow progress, but it was progress. I almost didn't want to leave when his dinner came. He said he was going to rest anyway, so my leaving wasn't a big deal. Plus he wanted me to go have some fun. He agreed with Frank that I needed a break.

It had been a fairly long while since Frank and I had done something like race go-karts together. We were both looking forward to it and had a good time. I'd been driving almost three years longer than him, but he beat me on the track 6 out of 8 times. I beat other people all the time, so it was still fun. Being dead last wouldn't have been as much. We stopped for pizza on the way home and I filled him in on Jeremy's progress. Obviously driving go-karts wasn't very conducive to conversation. He was happy for Jeremy, but he was even happier for me. Between Jeremy's improvement and our outing, it was the best day I'd had in a while. At least almost a week, anyway.

Sunday June 11

It wasn't nearly as difficult to get out of bed this morning as yesterday. In truth, I was looking forward to going to the hospital. First time that's happened. Looking forward to seeing what memories will be returning today. It's another day with the uniform on, getting there pretty early.

"Good morning Jeremy."

"Who's Jeremy? And who are you?"

Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!

"No, please, don't fucking do this to me God."

Jeremy's laughing hard.

"Arrrgggh. If you weren't already in the hospital, I'd be sending you to one. That was fucking cruel."

"I know. I'm sorry. I thought of it over breakfast. I haven't had much fun lately. It seemed funny at first. I'll make it up to you."

"That's going to take some doing."

"Even if I remembered what we were doing in my apartment last Saturday night?"

"Really?"

"Yep. How could I ever have forgotten making love with you?"

"Aww, that was sweet. Not good enough. Keep going."

"Shit, where do I start? How was your night out with Frank?"

"It was great. You were both right about me needing a break. Get back to making it up to me."

"OK. I'm still a little fuzzy about when I first got here, but I remember working for William. I think I remember everything he taught me. Probably won't know for sure until or unless I get another electrician's assistant job. Let's see. We had dinner at Olive Garden and watched Matrix Resurrections for our first date."

"Holy shit. You're back."

"Getting there."

Derek and Jeremy continue to discover what Jeremy has remembered, oblivious to what is going on elsewhere in town.

"You know what you're supposed to do, right?"

"Yeah, boss. We're good."

"Tell me one more time. We can't afford any fuckups."

"We hit the squad at 11. Make sure both crews are there. If one's out, find out which is out. If it's Arriens' crew, give you a call and we wait until they get back. If they're both there, make the 9-1-1 call."

"And?"

"Pregnant lady in labor, please send another woman. After the crew with two men and the lady leave, get in and grab the kid. Let you know it's done."

"And the other two guys?"

"Make sure they can't talk."

"Great. Now get to it."

Back at the Arriens' household, Captain Alex Arriens is preparing to leave for the Marlins game, where he's meeting another group of police officers for a well-deserved afternoon out.

"Have a good time Alex. Frank and I will be watching. Maybe you'll get on TV."

"I've been on TV enough lately. But now that Springs is in custody, I'd rather avoid the limelight. See you later, Cindy. I love you."

Alex leaves, but is stopped at the end of his block. A stolen van crashes into his car. While he's stunned, a man all in black with a ski mask jumps out of the van, injects him with a strong sedative, and drags Alex to another stolen van.

Shortly after, a pair of criminals enter the Arriens home, and quickly subdue Cindy and Frank. They too are taken away in the stolen van, which arrived at the exact moment they are taken out of the house.

Fifteen minutes later, a 9-1-1 call is made. Carol and her team are dispatched for a pregnant woman in distress. Yet another group enters the rescue squad building. Holding suppressed pistols on the remaining crew, they're puzzled. Their leader begins the interrogation.

"Where's the kid, Arriens?"

Dennis answers.

"Out sick. Home, I guess."

"Fuck. Watch them, I gotta call the boss."

"What is it Stark? We need to wait?"

"No boss. The kid ain't here. Home sick."

"Fuck. Take care of them and get to the house. With any luck he slept through the grab there."

"But take care of them even if the kid's not here?"

"You wearing masks or anything?"

"No."

"Take care of them, leave the message, and get to the house or I'll take care of you and your two dimwit brothers."

"Yes boss."

He returns to the break room where the others are.

"Louie, you hit that one. Stu, you take care of him, and I'll hit this one."

"We gotta, you know, Hugh?"

"We ice them or the boss ices us."

Three nearly simultaneous silenced gunshots hit the crew. Their chests quickly become stained with their blood. They leave the message on a whiteboard, 'release Springs or more die.' The three brothers head to Derek's house.

"The kid ain't here either, boss."

"He's got a Durango, is it there?"

"No."

"His partners lied. He ain't sick. Leave another message. 'Get Springs released or your family dies.' He's gotta come home sometime. Then get to the rendezvous."

Carol's crew comes back to the squad.

"Can you believe it? Nobody at the address. Dennis? Danny? Nate? Where are you guys?"

Carol, Barry, and Aaron enter the break room.

"Holy fuck. Check them out. I got Dennis."

Carol sees that Dennis is dead. Aaron checks Danny, same result. Barry's the only one with good news. Sort of.

"Nate's alive. Breaths shallow, pulse weak."

"Let's get moving. We'll call the cops on the way."

By this time, the officers at the ballpark are wondering where the captain is. Chief of Detectives Carson tries his cell phone. No answer, leaves a voice mail.

"The cop's phone is ringing. COD Carson."

"Let it go to voice mail. He's only late. No callout for the accident yet."

"OK boss."

The police dispatch to the rescue squad building comes through.

"Now we'll get some action. Give me his cell."

"Here you go boss."

The phone rings again. This time the caller ID says Chief Arnold. The boss answers it.

"Sorry to interrupt your outing Alex, but we have a situation."

"I'm sorry. Alex can't come to the ph…"

"WHO IS THIS?"

"If you don't interrupt me, maybe you'll find out Chief. Who I am isn't important at the moment, who you have is."

"We saw the message. Springs is not getting cut loose."

"Unless you want to be short one Captain, he will. But I know you have to say you won't negotiate. I'll give you a half hour to think about it."

The boss hangs up without waiting for a response, then turns off the Captain's phone and removes the SIM card. The chief gets things rolling.

"Get me a location on Captain Arriens' cell. Now! He's been abducted."

"Right away Chief."

The assistant comes back a couple minutes later.

"No signal from the phone."

"Should have guessed. We had to try. Send a car to his house. They may use his family as leverage."

Three minutes later the report comes back. Nobody home, looks like there was a struggle in the kitchen.

"Get me the number of the EMT that called in the shootings at the rescue squad."

On minute later.

"Hello?"

"Carol Tomlinson?"

"Yes."

"This is Chief of Police Arnold. Were any of the victims at the rescue squad Derek Arriens?"

"No Chief. Derek has been on PTO. A close friend is at St. Francis hospital. He's been there every day since Tuesday."

"Can you give me his number please?"

Carol passes on Derek's number.

At the hospital, Derek doesn't recognize the number, so he lets it go to voice mail. A minute later, same number calls again. After the third time…

"Someone's really trying to contact me. Let me see who it is… Hello?"

"Derek Arriens?"

"Yes?"

"Police Chief Arnold. Are you OK?"

"Um, yes? Why wouldn't I be?"

"Your father's been abducted. Likely the same for your mother and brother."

"What? Why?"

"Apparently Sam Springs' gang is using you father and family to try to leverage Sam's release."

"The gangster?"

"Yes. They apparently tried to abduct you from the rescue squad as well."

"Yeah, I wasn't there."

"Yes, I heard. I'm sending a car to St. Francis. What room are you visiting?"

"209, sir."

"An officer will be there shortly to bring you to One Police Plaza."

"I'll be waiting."

"What's up, Derek?"

"Fuck, Jeremy. My family's been kidnapped."


Next Up - "The Manhunt Begins"

Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 13
  • Wow 18
  • Fingers Crossed 2
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 10
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 minutes ago, weinerdog said:

One small itty bitty thing thats no big deal but Derek referred to Molly Hatchet as Country Rock I have always classified them as Southern Rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd I don't remember any country elements in their songs but perhaps more recently they have done that

I've always used the two terms interchangeably. Perhaps incorrect on my part, but I'm pretty sure I've encountered additional places where that is true.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Never a dull moment with Derek...what a mess we've got going on here...

 

10 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

Nice action, but this entire story I’ve felt like we were dropped into the middle and are supposed to know what’s going on. Some foundational information provided in the first chapters would have been better than this learning as we go. As it stands, we have no idea why the Arriens family was targeted.

Also, we’ve come to care for Derek’s coworkers, and to kill them off without showing how they responded to the bad guys coming in, or how they felt about their situation, or if they we’re plotting how to escape or anything like that, is not only a missed opportunity, but discounts the characters’ importance to Derek and the reader.
 

And finally, the lack of emotional response from any of the characters to events is unsettling. In particular, Jeremy’s boss was a like a father to him and he showed no emotion about his death (or if he even knew he was dead). 

What? Joining EMTs in chapter 1, amid a rescue of a newly involuntary eunuch and his precious, so recently dismembered, didn’t set the tone of bloody DISCONNECTS, SMALL TRAGEDIES, and DISASSOCIATED VICTIMS?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

OMG, I can't imagine the tragedy of three people being killed when if the idiots had worn masks, they could have lived.

This just took a really dark turn.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

What a twist to the story! And thanks by the way for writing a story with the gay lovers in it instead of writing a story around a couple! There's a difference and darn it. The title grabbed me so I joined so I could read it... Then I had to tell you I liked it!

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, J J said:

What a twist to the story! And thanks by the way for writing a story with the gay lovers in it instead of writing a story around a couple! There's a difference and darn it. The title grabbed me so I joined so I could read it... Then I had to tell you I liked it!

Glad you’re liking it. I honestly can’t say where the inspiration came from. Perhaps I had a dream about the long ago friends that were on the local rescue squad. And my subconscious took care of the rest. I think the title is quite fitting. I’m really rocking on Derek.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, J J said:

Yes you are, I believe we all hope you keep it up!

I believe chapter 8 will cut Derek a little slack.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..