Jump to content
    Lee Wilson
  • Author
  • 2,025 Words
  • 1,906 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
This story is an original work of gay fiction. None of the people or events are real. While some of the town names used may be real, any other geographic references (school, events) are purely fictional. Any resemblance to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. This story depicts sexual situations between high school aged males. If reading this is illegal where you reside, or you are not at least 18 years of age, you are reading at your own risk. This work is the property of the author, Lee R Wilson, and shall not be reproduced and/or re-posted without his permission.

Rocked To The Core - 2. Jeremy's Story and Derek Comes Clean

Shocking development upcoming. Thanks for all the guesses on Jeremy's injury status. A couple of you got it partially right. I even struck out with my 'DOA, badly injured, perfectly OK climbing out through the basement doors' guess.
LRW (aka Twizzler. I'm just full of twists.)

Tuesday

I haven't feinted, just lost control of my legs.

"Are you OK, Derek?" Carol asks.

"Yeah. I was just so overwhelmed seeing Jeremy awake and sitting there at the back of the other ambulance. Granted his head is wrapped up like a turban, but after seeing his boss's head practically squashed, I was expecting the worst. God, am I relieved."

Now, after getting my sea legs back, and walking up to Jeremy, I try to keep my composure. While Carol and her crew know Jeremy and I are friends, they don't know the depth of our friendship.

"Oh, thank God, Jeremy. I was afraid you were hurt bad, or worse."

He looks at me with this faraway look in his eyes. Is he really looking at me? I can't tell.

Danny clears things up. Sort of.

"He doesn't seem like he knows what's going on. He's said he felt OK, but nothing else do far. We're figuring PTSD or something from the accident.

"Jeremy. Do you recognize me?"

Blank stare. Like he didn't even hear me.

"Jeremy Berger?"

Time to swap to Jeremy's POV for a short while. Technically Bryson Jeremiah Burlington. He'd only been using Jeremy Berger to avoid any familial fallout.

Who's Jeremy? Have I been using my middle name, sort of? Where am I and why am I here? Who's this guy asking me questions? I have to admit though, he's way hot. Real tall, pretty well-defined body. God, dark brown eyes that just draw you in. Slightly too long dark brown hair. Clean shaven, or maybe just more of a boyish complexion. I'd be crazy to hope he was gay. Way too macho. Macho. Yeah, that's right. I came out to my parents, dad told me to 'get the fuck out of his house,' and smacked me in the side of my head. So, where the hell is he? And why, or how, do I have a beard?

"I'm sorry. I'm a little, no, a lot, confused. I don't know who you are or why you're calling me Jeremy Berger. I kind of understand the Jeremy part. My name is Bryson Jeremiah Burlington. The last thing I remember was telling my parents I was gay, and my dad clocked me in the side of my head. This obviously isn't my house in Cleveland, Georgia. And I didn't have a beard, so it probably isn't March 2021 anymore."

Dennis took control, being the senior member present.

"Oh, wow. OK, let's get Bryson to the hospital to get checked out. Bryson, you practically had a house collapse around you and have a head injury. The injury doesn't look too severe, but obviously, you've got some memory issues."

"I'm staying with him. He may not remember who I am, but I'm going to do whatever I can to help him."

"Fine, Derek. You go along with your, um, with Bryson. Carol, you can take your crew back to the squad. Danny and I will take them to the hospital, Derek, give me your keys, we'll bring your car to you as soon as we can."

I'm glad Dennis caught himself. It wouldn't have been a disaster if Carol and the others found out I was gay. It may not have been good for Jeremy to hear we were boyfriends just yet. In the back of the ambulance, Jeremy/Bryson starts quizzing me.

"Sorry, I don't think I caught your name. Dirk, was it?"

"Derek Arriens."

"Thanks. I got the impression you knew me. Maybe you can fill in some blanks for me?"

"Sure. I don't think it would be a good idea to get into anything too personal. I'd think the doctor will want you to try to remember those kinds of things on your own."

"I guess so. Where are we?"

"Davie, Florida."

"I wonder why I came here."

"You once told me because Danny Joe Brown died here, and he's buried in Fort Lauderdale. The next town over."

"OK. Now I get why I came here after my dad kicked me out. I'm a big Molly Hatchet fan. Um, when is it? I know it's not March 2021 when dad kicked me out. And do you know how long I've been here?"

"This is probably going to shock you, but today is Tuesday, June 6th, 2023. You moved into your current apartment in May of 2021."

"Fuck, I lost over 2 years?"

"Hopefully misplaced."

Derek really hopes he gets them back. He'll be crushed if the relationship dies because Jeremy doesn't remember any of it.

"And you've known me that whole time?"

"Most of it. We met at an under 21 club as the calendar was flipping to 2022. Almost a year and a half."

"So, if it's June 2023, that means I'm 20 and a half. Hopefully my memory really is just misplaced. I'm guessing we're pretty good friends, based on what you said before we left."

"Yes."

"OK. I really hope my memory comes back. You're really nice and if we were friends, I'd probably want to get that back."

I need to move this from a relationship discussion before it gets tricky.

"So, your name is really Bryson. Do you prefer Bryson, Bryce, or maybe Bry?"

"Friends call me Bry. Or I guess they used to, if I've been Jeremy for the last two years or so. Shit, I don't even know if I kept in touch with anybody from back home."

"We'll get that worked out. We're here. Just relax for a while. We can talk more later. I'm not leaving."

While Jeremy/Bryson is being evaluated, we'll head to another room in the ER for a bit, for a prelude to another conversation with our hero.

"Hello, I'm looking for William Perch?"

"He's in room 2. Through these doors, turn right and it's the first room on your right."

Jenny Perch walks into room 2, to see her husband, the electrician on the job, hanging on to a very narrow thread of life.

"Mrs. Perch?"

"Yes. How is William?"

"I'm Dr. Smithson, chief resident. The news is not good, I'm sorry to say. Your husband has suffered a severe head injury. His skull was partially crushed, causing severe brain damage. He's still alive, but unfortunately, that is simply a technical term at this time. There is no brain activity beyond keeping the major systems functioning."

"So, there is no hope for recovery?"

"No, unfortunately not. Your husband was in excellent physical shape before the accident. It would be remiss of me to not suggest you consider organ donation."

"He'd be able to help a lot of people in death, wouldn't he?"

"Yes. Every donor can save 8 lives and enhance over 75 more."

(Above statistic is from https://www.organdonor.gov/learn/organ-donation-statistics)

"OK. Where do I sign?"

"I'll have our social worker come by while you spend some last moments with William."

After Mrs. Perch signs the forms, she asks about others in the accident, specifically Jeremy, to whom William was more than just a boss and mentor. He and his boyfriend had been at the Perch's numerous times, although the Perch's believed they were just friends. Mrs. Perch suspected more, but never said anything.

"Mr. Berger is in room 12."

"Thank you."

Jenny walks into room 12 and sees Derek and Jeremy. Her suspicions are pretty much confirmed by the look on Derek's face. She still says nothing about it.

"Hello Derek, Jeremy. How are you doing Jeremy?"

"I'm feeling OK. Sorry for sounding rude, but who are you?"

Jenny looks to Derek for an explanation.

"His head injury has apparently messed with his memory. Jeremy, or Bryson, this is Jenny Perch. She's your boss's wife. You are very close to them. How is Mr. Perch? I brought him in, but it didn't look good."

"It isn't. William is essentially brain dead. I've just arranged to have his organs harvested."

"Oh, damn. I'm so sorry."

"Thank you. He called you Bryson?"

"Yes, my name is actually Bryson Jeremiah Burlington. I guess I was only using Jeremy Berger to hide from my family. The last thing I remember was over two years ago, based on Derek's info. That was when my father kicked me out of the house."

"So, you don't remember Derek, William, or me?"

"No. I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. It's not your fault. I'm sure Derek will be here for you, as will I. I've been kind of a surrogate mother for you here. We'll help you get back the time you lost if we can. If not, we'll help you cope."

"That's awfully nice of you, Mrs. Perch, considering you just lost your husband," I told her.

"I'll deal with that in time. I can't help him, but I can help Jeremy, or Bryson."

We'll stick with him being Jeremy. Whether they're legal or not, all his identification, insurance, even a social security card, indicate that's his name.

After being evaluated, it was determined Jeremy has a linear skull fracture and a concussion. He was lucky. I found out later that William was essentially on top of Jeremy when they were found, therefore taking the brunt if the collapse directly. Their positions could have easily been reversed. It was after the end of their shift before Dennis and Danny came by. Jeremy was admitted by then and was in a semi-private room. The doctors expected to keep Jeremy for a couple nights. It was a long day for three of us, Jeremy, Mrs. Perch, and me.

"I'm going to head home now. You rest and I'll see you tomorrow."

"Thanks for staying with me all day."

"Happy to do it. Sleep well, I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Derek."

I head home. But before I start the car and leave the hospital, the emotions of the day became overwhelming, and I sat there for 15 minutes crying and try to come to terms with my new reality. Any other day I'd de-stress by stopping at Jeremy's. Tonight, I have to rely on mom and dad for that. Not impossible, just not my norm.

"Hey mom, dad, I'm home."

"Good day today, hon?"

"No. Probably my worst ever as an EMT, mom."

"You wouldn't usually be home this early after a bad day, you'd go to Jeremy's first."

I couldn't answer, I broke down crying again.

"David, you'd better come here. Something's up with Derek."

Dad comes into the kitchen, where mom had been cleaning up from their dinner. After a couple more minutes, I recovered enough to recount my day. Being this broke up about Jeremy would make no sense to them without knowing the whole truth. They knew Jeremy and I were good friends. If they suspected more, they never let on. Even now, they indicated they hadn't suspected, even after I told them I was gay. No reaction like Jeremy described by his father. Dad seemed a little shaken by the news, but he accepted it.

They said they'd do whatever they could to help us get through this.

"Did you get something to eat? Are you hungry!"

"I got something at the hospital when Jeremy went for a test. I think I'm just going to go to bed early."

"OK. We're here if you need to talk more."

"Thanks, mom. I think I just need to process everything more. Goodnight."

"Goodnight." "Night."

I get undressed for bed, but don't climb into bed right away. I'm sitting at my desk, staring into space when there's a knock on the door.

"Yeah?"

"It's me. Can I come in?"

My brother, Frank. He's three years younger than me, but we're really close. The fact I'm sitting at my desk, naked, won't phase him a bit.

"Yeah, come on in."

"I overheard you talking to mom and dad. It sucks about Jeremy. You're really gay?"

"Yeah."

"You hid it well. I just wanted to let you know, it makes no difference to me. You're still the best brother I could ask for."

"Thanks, bro. I'd give you a hug, but, um…"

"Fuck it. So, you're naked. Get over here."

Next Up - "Starting Over?"

Copyright © 2023 Lee Wilson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 26
  • Fingers Crossed 3
  • Sad 24
Feel free to drop me a line if you haven't already. I appreciate the comments, good or bad. 
If you liked this, check out my other stories on nifty. You'll need to search for my email address, some of those may violate GA guidelines (lee.666.wilson@gmail.com)
LRW
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is magnificent and manic, Lee. Your range amazes me. This massive trauma and the road back. Take your time. Take my time. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Love your story so. Is Jeremy an alter ego Bryson’s mind created to protect him following the trauma he experienced after coming out to his dad? And if so, did the head injury from the roof collapsing on him cause him to revert to the Bryson persona and hence the “amnesia”?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
28 minutes ago, frozenphenix said:

Love your story so. Is Jeremy an alter ego Bryson’s mind created to protect him following the trauma he experienced after coming out to his dad? And if so, did the head injury from the roof collapsing on him cause him to revert to the Bryson persona and hence the “amnesia”?

Bryson was (is) his given name. He took the name Jeremy Berger as a way to try to hide from his father. His amnesia wiped out everything after leaving home.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..