Jump to content
    Mark Arbour
  • Author
  • 5,205 Words
  • 8,153 Views
  • 33 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Streak - 24. Chapter 24

October 26, 2002

Goodwell

Charlottesville, VA

 

Wade

             

Alex and I walked the horses along, with Goodwell off in the distance, and as we neared it, it seemed that Alex’s dilemma loomed larger on him. “So what are you going to do?” I asked him, more as a prompt than with any intention to pry.

“I think that in order to make it up to JJ, I must fly to Spokane, even though I really have no idea where that is.”

I laughed at that. “It’s in Washington State, which is just south of British Columbia in Canada,” I explained. “It’s on the other side of the country.”

“It’s on the west coast?”

“The state of Washington is located on the west coast, but the city of Spokane is farther inland,” I explained. “I’ve only been there once before. It’s not among my top ten destinations.”

“As I am not going for the scenery, I don’t think that will matter much,” he said. “I wonder how long it would take to fly there.”

“I would guess it would take you at least five hours,” I told him. “Let’s look up some flights online, and we’ll do our best to get you there. Once you’re there, you can just fly back with JJ.”

“I appreciate your help,” he said with a soft smile. “Navigating the ins and outs of American airlines is a bit new to me.”

“Well, you’re here to get an education,” I joked pleasantly. “Why don’t you go upstairs and get ready, and by the time you’re done, I’ll have figured out a way to get you there.”

“I am once again in your debt,” he said.

“If you don’t make it, and JJ does badly, then my life at home will be hell for at least a couple of weeks. It’s worth it for me to turn into a travel agent for a few minutes.” I thought briefly about my demeanor with Alex. I was cheerful and jocular, characteristics I didn’t usually exhibit. It dawned on me that my mother wasn’t the only one who relaxed when coming to Goodwell. This place was so much more than just land and a house.

Alex hurried up the stairs to get ready, while I went into the study and began to tackle the challenge of flying from Charlottesville, Virginia to Spokane, Washington on a Saturday morning. It took me 45 minutes to get everything arranged, but our timing was so good that he strolled into the study just as I was finishing up.

“I have managed to put myself and my things together,” he said.

“You did that very quickly, and that’s a good thing,” I said. “Come on.”

I led him out to the front entry, where the driver brought up the big Suburban limo we used to shuffle ourselves to the airport and back. “I did not get to say goodbye to everyone. Will you apologize for me?”

“Absolutely,” I told him. “Here’s the plan. You’re going to take my plane to Denver. There you can catch a direct flight into Spokane.”

“I feel bad using your plane,” he objected.

“It’s the only way to get you there fast enough. I’d have them take you all the way, but we may run into issues with air time when they take us back to Boston tomorrow.” The driver took his bag and put it in the limo for him.

“Thank you,” he said, and then he shocked me by giving me a really nice kiss. Alex was a good kisser, really good, and I’d experienced and enjoyed his oral skills in the past, but this one wasn’t like the others. This one had no passion, it was only friendship.

I smiled. “You’re welcome. Now hurry.” He got into the limo and it took off down the road. I watched it go, and then turned around to find Matt glaring at me.

“What was that?” he demanded.

“Alex is flying out to Spokane to see JJ skate.”

“So that was your cue to make out with him in front of the house?”

“I wasn’t making out with him,” I said, and felt myself getting annoyed with him. “It was just a friendly kiss.”

“It looked a little more than friendly.”

“I don’t know how it looked to you, but as one of the people doing the kissing, I’m telling you that the only emotion there was friendship,” I said firmly, and saw that piss him off. I was escalating this, and the last thing I wanted was to ruin our time here. “Are my pants tenting out?” I asked with a silly smile.

He smiled back, then reached out and grabbed my dick. “Nope.”

“The only way I would sleep with someone else was if I was forced to,” I told him sincerely.

“I’m sorry,” he said, relenting. “It’s just that I almost lost you to him, so it makes me nervous.”

“You probably felt kind of like I felt when you went out with the guys after practice and didn’t call me,” I said.

“Yeah, but I’m not nearly as bitchy about it,” he said, making me laugh and annoying me at the same time.

“I’m sorry,” I said sincerely. “Now that I know that it bothers you, I’ll keep some physical space between Alex and me.”

He shook his head. “No, it’s fine. I trust you. I think I was just a little freaked out about him being with Mary Ellen.”

“We’ll see if he explains it to JJ, and how that ultimately turns out,” I said with dread. I didn’t see JJ as the kind of guy to forgive a cheating boyfriend or girlfriend, even though he and Alex didn’t seem to have a formal commitment.

We strolled into the kitchen to eat and found my mother there. “Good morning,” she said pleasantly.

“Good morning,” I responded in a similar tone. “Alex had to fly to Spokane, and had to leave somewhat abruptly. He asked me to say goodbye for him.”

“You must tell him how much I enjoyed his company. I have not enjoyed an evening like that for some time.”

“It was fun,” I agreed, and then got a little nervous because I was letting my guard down around her.

“If it is not too much trouble, I think I will stay here and go home tomorrow,” she said. She barely hid the irritation at having to ask me.

“You are welcome to stay,” I said automatically.

She sighed. “There is an anti-war demonstration in Washington today. The last thing I want is to be delayed by those people.” She said ‘those people’ with a sneer, as if referring to the unwashed masses.

“I think that if we actually do go to war, you had better get used to it,” I told her.

“It’s not a question of if we go to war, it is a question of when,” she said authoritatively. I was tempted to argue with her, but she was well-connected in Republican circles, and they’d be the drivers of an invasion of Iraq.

“We are going to start an unnecessary war?” I asked pointedly.

“We have to fight terrorism at its roots, Wade,” she said, as if she were lecturing a student. “We cannot risk letting those terrorists use Iraq as a base, only to strike at us again like they did on September 11.” Matt sat there eating and saying nothing, but I knew he was paying close attention to our conversation.

“Please save the sales pitch for the press,” I said coldly. “You and I both know that Iraq doesn’t have ties to Al Qaeda, and you know there’s no proof they were involved in those attacks. This is a fabricated war.”

She arched an eyebrow, which was her way of conceding that point. “That region is unstable yet vital,” she said, only now her tone had become almost evil. “This is a way for us to ensure access to oil, while taking out Saddam Hussein at the same time. We can bring democracy to the Arab world. Is not toppling a tyrant a good cause?”

“It is not a good enough cause to go to war,” I said. “This is going to cost a fortune, both in lives and money. This is going to be a disaster.”

“It is not going to be a disaster,” she said. “It is going to be glorious, and profitable. You may want to consider diverting some of your assets into defense and oil companies.”

This was an argument on which neither one of us would find common ground. Going to war served her interests, so she would advocate for it, even if it meant lying. “Regardless, enjoy your time here,” I said.

“Thank you,” she responded, and both of our shields went back up, at least to the degree that we had let them down in the first place.

 

October 26, 2002

Spokane, WA

JJ

 

I’d only tossed and turned last night for a little bit, until the sleeping pills kicked in. They’d sent me into a blissful state of sleep, one that was slowly being interrupted by very annoying voices. I drifted along, willing them to stop, until someone slapped me really hard on the left cheek. And with that, I was wide-awake, and very pissed off. “What the fuck?!” I yelled.

Tiffany and my bodyguard were looking at me with panic in their eyes. “How many of these things did you take?” she demanded, shaking the empty sleeping pill bottle in my face.

“I took two,” I said.

“Is that all?” she challenged.

“I took two,” I said firmly. “What the fuck are you doing in my room, and why the fuck did you hit me?” That came out as more of a scream.

“You didn’t answer your phone, the hotel phone, or respond to a knock on the door,” she said. “It’s noon, and I was worried about you.”

“I am just fine,” I said through clenched teeth. “I was enjoying a good night’s sleep, relishing this opportunity to sleep in, one that you fucked completely up.”

“We were just worried,” the bodyguard said. His name was Bill, and I’d never really noticed him before; he’d just been an amorphous person. But he sounded really caring, so I actually looked at him, and decided that he was kind of cute if you liked hulking body builders with light brown hair and grey eyes.

“Well I’m fine,” I said. “Get the fuck out of here.”

“Fine,” Tiffany said in a snit, and stormed out of the room. I heard the door slam behind her, but that didn’t bother me. She could be pissed off if she wanted to. I didn’t do anything wrong. I suddenly realized Bill was still in the room.

“You sure you’re OK?” he asked. He ran his hand across my cheek in an affectionate yet soothing way. “She hit you really hard.”

This guy was totally hitting on me, but rather than annoy me, it was actually rather sweet. “Thanks Bill, but I’m just fine,” I said, shooting him a rare smile. I stared at him meaningfully until he took the hint and got up to leave, pausing to adjust the tent in his pants even as he blushed. I mean, he was adorable, and that was really sweet, but I wasn’t Will. No way I was sleeping with the help. He left me alone and I lay there, annoyed at them for waking me up, until the annoyance was replaced by anger when I remembered how Alex had totally blown me off yesterday.

Ironically enough that made me think of Will. He gave me shit about how I carried grudges, which was absolute bullshit. It wasn’t bullshit because I didn’t carry them, because I did, it was bullshit for him to suggest it was wrong to do it. I wasn’t willing to do what he did, just blow off all the shit people did to him. If someone was going to treat me like shit and piss me off, that person was going to know about it. Paybacks were a bitch, and that meant that I was going to pile as much shit on them as I could. That way, people wouldn’t fuck with me. Besides, why should I forgive someone unless they apologized? If they did something wrong, they should try to make it right. It was all very simple; I didn’t get why it was so hard for him to grasp the concept. He’d go to bed and sleep on it, and wake up the next day all happy and chipper, ready to start out all new. He was like a fucking puppy all happy, trying to lick your face. I rolled my eyes when I thought about how apt that description was, based on how big of a slut he was. I didn’t work that way. For me, if the other person didn’t apologize, I couldn’t go forward with him or her, and that meant that I couldn’t let go of the anger. So if I slept on it, when I woke up in the morning to find things still weren’t resolved, I was even more pissed off, and that’s what had happened this morning.

Food motivated me to get up, so I plugged in the phone I hadn’t ripped out of the wall and called for room service. I knew that would take a while, since they hadn’t been very fast yesterday, so I took a quick shower and actually managed to throw myself together enough that I was dressed by the time they brought the food. That was less about my speed than their inefficiency, but I tipped the room service guy well anyway, and ate this food that was mediocre. The alternative was for me to leave the hotel and try to find something, or to order a pizza, and I was in a mood to take the path of least resistance.

I thought about pulling out my phone and checking for messages, but changed my mind. I was too pissed off to listen to anyone, especially Alex. I decided to be lazy and just lounge around, savoring my righteous rage. It felt good to be pissed off and to have a legitimate reason. It felt good to be right. Those feelings ultimately managed to outweigh the anger, and I calmed down. I collapsed on the couch in my sitting room and flipped on the television, watching mindless Saturday afternoon drivel. It was boring enough to lull me back to sleep. Being pissed off took a lot of energy.

I was awakened by a loud knock on my door. I opened my eyes slowly and noticed that it was dark outside. I must have slept for another four or five hours. I yawned and stretched, even as the knocking resumed. It was probably the room service people wanting to get their tray. God, they were obsessive about that. Was there a fucking room service cart shortage? I got up and walked over to the door and opened it, and only after I started to pull the door open did I ponder how stupid it was to do that without looking through the peephole. I almost instinctively slammed it shut when I realized my error, but a hand on the other side forced it open and pushed me backward. I was scared and pissed off until I saw who it was, then both of those emotions vanished.

“I hope you don’t mind me just barging in,” Alex said. I backed up as he came in, pushing the door closed behind him.

“What are you doing here?” I managed to ask that without sounding bitchy, which was pretty impressive for me.

“I treated you badly, by ignoring you when you needed me the most,” he said, as he took my hands in his. My weird, twisted mind told me that I should still be pissed at him, but then logic and emotions overwhelmed that. I felt myself smiling at him. “I am truly sorry about that.”

“So you flew out here just to see me?”

“I flew out here to apologize, to make things right between us, and to watch you clinch first place tomorrow in your free skate,” he said. I couldn’t decide if he had figured this out on his own, or if someone had coached him, but regardless, he was playing me perfectly. I liked it.

“All of those things will probably happen,” I said as I grinned like an idiot.

“I really am sorry,” he said.

“I know you can’t always be with me, but you’re so important to me. When you didn’t call me, I felt like I was alone, and there was no one there for me,” I said. It was an added bonus that those feelings made me seem even more like a delicate flower.

“I found myself in the country, riding a wonderful stallion, and let myself get absorbed in it. It was like I was on a drug, and as soon as it was over, the high faded,” he said. That was an explanation, but that’s not what I wanted. I wanted an apology, which I’d gotten, but I needed one more thing. And in the way that he had of reading my mind and what I needed, he gave it to me. “It will not happen again.”

I smiled, and then gave him a really nice kiss. Damn, he was good at that. “It was nice of you to fly out here to be with me.”

“It was the least I could do,” he said.

“No,” I objected, “it was a really nice thing.”

He kissed me again, only this time with a lot more passion. He pulled away from me then nuzzled my ear with his nose in a sexy way. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” I said, but it was more of a moan. Then I led him back to the bedroom, and let him show me with his body how sorry he was.

 

October 27, 2002

Escorial

 

Will

 

“How old is Claire?” Zach asked, as we walked up to the dining room for Aunt Claire’s birthday dinner.

“She’s 38,” I told him.

“Doesn’t look that old,” he said.

“She doesn’t,” I agreed. “This actually worked out really well.”

“Why?”

“Grand has been a little down lately, and he likes big family events, so this should cheer him up.”

“What’s he down about?”

I shrugged. “He hasn’t really said anything. He spends a lot of time in his study. I went in to try and cheer him up the other day, and he all but threw me out.”

“He threw you out?”

“In his own way,” I said, chuckling a bit. “He’s polite until he figures out that you don’t want anything, and then he shuts down and makes things pretty uncomfortable until you leave.”

“That would probably freak me out enough to get the fuck out of there,” he agreed.

We walked into the dining room and found it more crowded than usual. Stef and Grand were there, as was my father. Zach had come down here with Frank and Grandmaman, so they were here too. Aunt Claire, Uncle Jack, Marie, and John were here as well. Uncle Ace and Aunt Cass were in Italy on some trip connected with the winery, so they were gone, and Courtney must have been with them. I greeted them all cordially, and then took a seat at the table in between Zach and John, and across from my father and Stef.

“This is quite the gathering,” Claire said. “It was nice of all of you to make the effort to be here today.”

“It’s just a short drive,” Zach said, shooting Claire his grin.

Grand stood up and raised his glass to make a toast. “Here is wishing you a very happy birthday, and a very good year,” he said to Claire.

Grandmaman stood up and raised her glass as well. “A very happy birthday,” she said in French. Everyone murmured agreements as we lifted our glasses and drank to Claire.

“Thank you,” Claire said, in a chipper way, then she changed her voice to its more usual tone. “Has anyone heard how JJ did in Washington?”

“He did very well,” Dad said. “He took the gold, his first international gold medal.”

“That is just marvelous!” she said. Aunt Claire was pretty into JJ’s skating career. “I am so disappointed that I did not get to see him.”

“I’m sure he would have been happy if you’d been there, but I think Alex showing up clinched the deal for him,” I said.

“I thought Alex couldn’t go to Spokane?” Marie asked.

“Evidently Alex committed the sin of ignoring JJ on the day of his short program, and that got JJ worked up enough that Alex flew out to make it up to him,” I told them.

“How did Alex ignore him?” Marie asked.

“JJ called Alex to tell him that he won the short program, and Alex didn’t call him back until late that night,” I said. It seemed like he was being a huge diva about this, but I was proud of him for winning gold, so I didn’t point that out.

“He’s pretty high-maintenance,” Marie said. We were having this conversation and I’d kind of spaced out and forgotten there were a lot of other people in the room.

“That is a high pressure situation, so it makes sense that he would need moral support,” Stef said, defending JJ. He did that a lot these days, now that he and JJ had bonded during their various shopping sprees. I didn’t say anything, because it really didn’t matter to me. JJ was how he was; he could be a royal pain in the ass, but I still loved him.

“I get it,” Zach said. I gave him a relatively surprised look, asking him to explain. “Even though Alex couldn’t go, JJ probably felt like he was there with him. I’ll bet that the first thing he wanted to do when he was done was call Alex and tell him how well he’d done. He probably really put himself out there, doing his best to try and impress Alex. When Alex didn’t call him back, he probably felt like Alex wasn’t with him, and that he was alone. And he probably figured that if Alex didn’t care enough to talk to him, he probably didn’t care at all.” I stared at him, amazed at that revelation, and that turned to intense introspection when I thought about how he did that with me. When he won a game, if I wasn’t there, he usually called me right away. That must be how he feels when he wins. This was a pretty big deal to him. I made a mental note to make sure I was available, at least by phone, after his games.

“That sounds pretty accurate,” Dad said, chiming in to try and shut down this line of conversation. It wasn’t like him to dodge gossip, which told me he must have been pretty irritated about this whole thing. He was trying to be OK with JJ and Alex being together, but it was tough for him. As protective as he was of me, he seemed even more protective of JJ.

We had a really nice dinner, with light conversation, and all of us seemed to be having fun except for Grand. After dinner, we went into the television room and Aunt Claire opened her presents. She mostly got jewelry and perfume, and none of it was too exceptional. After that, we went back into the dining room. The staff had cleared off the dinner plates and had set it up again for cake. They brought out a big cake with 38 lit candles, and we sang the happy birthday song to Claire. It was all very typical of how our birthday celebrations went.

In fact, everything was pretty much perfect except for Grand’s mood. I kept looking at him, watching him trying to enjoy this celebration, even though he was clearly upset. I decided that if no one else was going to call him on it, I would. “What’s bothering you?” I asked him.

“Excuse me?” he asked me, and gave me a dirty look as he did. That look would floor most of the people at this table, but he and I had gotten a lot closer since I’d moved up here, so I didn’t let it bother me.

“You’re not being very charming,” I said to him bluntly, even though I smiled at him to take the edge off. Stef and my father looked at me nervously, wondering what had possessed me to start a fight with Grand.

“I did not realize I was required to entertain you,” he said acidly. That comment, mixed with his unusually acerbic tone, told me and most of the people here that he was pretty upset about something.

“You’re being a buzz kill at a party you’re hosting. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you do that,” I said, continuing to prod him. “It’s not like you to make people at your table and in your house feel unwelcome.”

Now he was really pissed off, because I’d cornered him. I’d called him out on being a bad host, and on being rude, so he couldn’t just blow the whole thing off. “Then perhaps I should not be here amongst you all,” he said, trying to sound menacing so I’d leave him alone. It didn’t work.

“Or perhaps you should tell us all why you’re so agitated,” I said sincerely.

“Didn’t we hear earlier how important it is to have those you love around you when you need support?” Aunt Claire asked him sympathetically. He didn’t give her a dirty look, but instead directed his anger back at me. And then, as if by magic, it seemed to evaporate.

He sighed and put down his fork, then looked around the table before re-focusing on me. “History has an unfortunate tendency to repeat itself. I watched this country stumble into a civil war in Vietnam. I spent the bulk of my academic career in an attempt to show what folly that was. I lost two of the men I loved to that conflict. The only salve to my psyche was that I had assumed we had learned from that mistake, and we wouldn’t do it again.”

“Your papers on Vietnam were excellent,” I said, because they were, and to gently encourage him.

“Thank you, but it seems it is all to be for naught. We are about to go to war with Iraq for no reason at all. At least with Vietnam, we were naively drawn into it. We are going to invade Iraq, using nationalism to inflame the populace and blunt their logic. We are selling a war to the American people that we do not need to fight, and we are doing it so powerful interests may profit from it.”

“I can see why you are so upset,” Aunt Claire said gently.

“Who will profit from this?” I asked.

“Those who run companies in the petroleum and defense industries,” he said, “and presumably those who invest in them. I would think that Halliburton would be a prime beneficiary, since the Vice President has recently been their CEO.” When he said that, his eyes glanced at Stef and my father, and then twitched in irritation.

And then it became all too clear. I zeroed in on Stef and my father. “How much money have you invested in Halliburton and companies like that?”

“I don’t have to disclose to you how I invest my money,” Dad snapped, which all but answered my question.

“Alright,” I said calmly, even though I wasn’t all that tranquil inside. “How much of my money, which you manage, is invested in companies like that?”

“I’m not sure,” he lied.

“Have you been increasing how much I have invested in those companies?” He didn’t say anything. “I have a right to know!”

Grand gave me a dirty look, but only because I had been a little loud. I resolved to control my volume. “It seemed like a good opportunity, and a wise investment, to put more money into promising sectors,” Stef said.

“So you guys are like war profiteers,” I said snidely.

“Taking advantage of investment opportunities does not make me a war profiteer,” Stef said so loudly it was almost a shout. “You have never questioned our investments before.”

“That’s not true,” I said, unwilling to be cowed by him. “When you guys decided to risk polluting the oceans by drilling offshore, I questioned you then.”

“We have invested heavily in Triton,” Dad said. If anything, he was even more pissed off than Stef. “They are a defense company. You didn’t have a problem with that!”

“With Triton, you were building a company. That’s how you made your fortune, or at least that’s what you said. You made money by giving capital to start-up businesses, creating jobs and innovation,” I said, paraphrasing from their marketing materials. “So is that what you’re doing with Halliburton? Helping them to be more successful?”

“You are not looking at this from a business perspective,” Stef said. “We are merely increasing our holdings, not funding new ventures.” He was furious with me, but I was just as mad.

“I’ll bet the carpetbaggers used that same reasoning,” I said.

“I do not deserve to be treated so rudely!” Stef said.

“How much money is enough?” I asked him. “How much?”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Dad demanded.

“I mean that you’re willing to invest in these companies who are going to make millions, if not billions, if we go to war. You’ll get to share in those profits. Do you really need the money? Really?” Stef’s eyes bulged. “Is it worth it?”

Before Stef or my father could say anything else, Grand stood up and put his napkin on his plate, indicating that he was done eating. He looked directly at me, letting me see the anguish in his eyes. “And now you know what is bothering me,” he said, and then walked out of the room.

Copyright © 2015 Mark Arbour; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 54
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Thanks for the latest chapter!

 

A good question for all to answer: How much is enough and what are you willing to sell to get it?

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love it when JP and Will team up. :D

Interesting how Zach got JJ's point of view immediately - and Will's reaction was cute.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/17/2014 06:30 PM, mmike1969 said:
Thanks for the latest chapter!

 

A good question for all to answer: How much is enough and what are you willing to sell to get it?

That is a good question...and it dovetails into the saying that money won't make you happy.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/17/2014 06:35 PM, Timothy M. said:
I love it when JP and Will team up. :D

Interesting how Zach got JJ's point of view immediately - and Will's reaction was cute.

It makes sense that Zach would sympathize with JJ, since they're both in similar worlds.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

I echo the earlier comments, excellent chapter!

 

I especially enjoyed how Will drew out JP and the discoveries that came from it...I'm sure that if Steph were literally carrying around a carpetbag, it would at least be a designer bag!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/17/2014 06:58 PM, KevinD said:
I echo the earlier comments, excellent chapter!

 

I especially enjoyed how Will drew out JP and the discoveries that came from it...I'm sure that if Steph were literally carrying around a carpetbag, it would at least be a designer bag!

LOL. No wonder Stef was so upset.

 

I think that Will and JP complement each other nicely. There's a lot of respect on both ends of that relationship.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I fully agree with the dinner party discussions--I was not at all surprised that Zach knew what JJ was feeling--but I was a bit to realize that Will didn't put 2+2 together until Zach mentioned it.

 

Come on Will, it's time to burn another possession of Brad's--perhaps his plane? I am a bit shocked that Stef' s reaction was just like Brad's...I thought he'd be more in tune with Grand's feelings and at least give them token consideration. The fact that Brad doesn't get it at all comes as no shock at all.

 

I am also still pissed at Alex--you note that he did not explain why it took him all evening to return JJ's call. I hope that dawns on JJ and makes him investigate further, otherwise Alex will think he can get away with sleeping around if he just 'forgets' to mention it. Once again, Alex is reverting to douche-bag mode.

 

Bring on the next round, Mark--you've whetted my appetite, now you have to satisfy it! :)

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Very nice chapter.

Thank you Mark - proving once again that Will was a fantastic literary device providing a great foil to the other older members of tribe. Well didn't he do his job. Firstly calling JP on being a bad host (a sure indication of something wrong) and then with Brad and Stef (greedy bastards).

And we had a little hint with Elizabeth Danfield - that is an uncomfortable comparison.

Alex... mmmmm... what ColumbusGuy said - douchebag!

  • Like 3
Link to comment

An intensely interesting chapter for many reasons. It was a reminder of just how powerful these people are. The comparison of Elizabeth Danfield and JP is startling...with Steph and Brad settling uncomfortably in between. There is a political evil to Mommie Dearest and a genuine responsibility for your fellow man aspect to JP. It is a testament to Will, that first he reads him so well and cares about his grandfather so much...and falls on the ethical sword with him...and rather sad that JP's son and partner both choose to do something that hits him where he hurts and are unapologetic about it. All for the sake of money they don't need. Will's question was a good one and I guess the answer was that to people like Brad and Stef, there is never enough money. I would expect that Will is not done in making them see the light.

In this chapter, Alex and JJ reached just a part of an understanding. there was a calculation on both sides but I think it was driven by genuine caring. It is yet to be seen whether Alex will be completely forthcoming about Mary Ellen...keeping it from JJ, would ,I think, backfire because too many people know...and in this family the gossip never stays hidden for long...not to mention the wild card of ME herself, showing up to rock the boat. Maybe after the long program, they will have that talk.

I personally loved the possessiveness that both Matt and Wade show for each other...when Matt says "I almost lost you to him so it makes me nervous" and Wade says" the only way I would sleep with someone else is if I was forced to" you again show us the real hard fought commitment that is there and I am not ashamed to admit that it gives me the warm fuzzies. You also showed us the depth of Zach's feelings for Will and how important he is to Zach by having him explain what was at stake for JJ when he calls after his program and doesn't get the connection he needs. That was a brilliant scene in itself.

Thanks for another exceptional chapter...Cheers...Gary

  • Like 4
Link to comment

There has always been war profiteering and just because it is so, doesn't make it right. However, several companies profited as a result of that war while the off the budget financing of the war added at least three trillion dollars to the US sovereign debt and what did the country do, but extend the Bush tax cuts for the upper brackets, over and over and over again. The new congress will probably make them permanent.

I'm like JP in that I still get upset about it even as we are sending troops back to Iraq.

I know this is historical fiction, but it really does strike a nerve.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/17/2014 10:47 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
I fully agree with the dinner party discussions--I was not at all surprised that Zach knew what JJ was feeling--but I was a bit to realize that Will didn't put 2+2 together until Zach mentioned it.

 

Come on Will, it's time to burn another possession of Brad's--perhaps his plane? I am a bit shocked that Stef' s reaction was just like Brad's...I thought he'd be more in tune with Grand's feelings and at least give them token consideration. The fact that Brad doesn't get it at all comes as no shock at all.

 

I am also still pissed at Alex--you note that he did not explain why it took him all evening to return JJ's call. I hope that dawns on JJ and makes him investigate further, otherwise Alex will think he can get away with sleeping around if he just 'forgets' to mention it. Once again, Alex is reverting to douche-bag mode.

 

Bring on the next round, Mark--you've whetted my appetite, now you have to satisfy it! :)

Remember that JJ wants Alex. He's totally into him, and he's latched onto him like a thirsty man lunges for a glass of water. JJ really doesn't want to know the details of Alex's tryst, and he really doesn't want to hear the excuses about why Alex didn't call him. He wants Alex to pay attention to him. He wants to be the center of Alex's world.
  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 01:36 AM, Bucket1 said:
Very nice chapter.

Thank you Mark - proving once again that Will was a fantastic literary device providing a great foil to the other older members of tribe. Well didn't he do his job. Firstly calling JP on being a bad host (a sure indication of something wrong) and then with Brad and Stef (greedy bastards).

And we had a little hint with Elizabeth Danfield - that is an uncomfortable comparison.

Alex... mmmmm... what ColumbusGuy said - douchebag!

Thanks! Elizabeth Danfield is too interesting a figure to leave on the sidelines for long.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 03:15 AM, Headstall said:
An intensely interesting chapter for many reasons. It was a reminder of just how powerful these people are. The comparison of Elizabeth Danfield and JP is startling...with Steph and Brad settling uncomfortably in between. There is a political evil to Mommie Dearest and a genuine responsibility for your fellow man aspect to JP. It is a testament to Will, that first he reads him so well and cares about his grandfather so much...and falls on the ethical sword with him...and rather sad that JP's son and partner both choose to do something that hits him where he hurts and are unapologetic about it. All for the sake of money they don't need. Will's question was a good one and I guess the answer was that to people like Brad and Stef, there is never enough money. I would expect that Will is not done in making them see the light.

In this chapter, Alex and JJ reached just a part of an understanding. there was a calculation on both sides but I think it was driven by genuine caring. It is yet to be seen whether Alex will be completely forthcoming about Mary Ellen...keeping it from JJ, would ,I think, backfire because too many people know...and in this family the gossip never stays hidden for long...not to mention the wild card of ME herself, showing up to rock the boat. Maybe after the long program, they will have that talk.

I personally loved the possessiveness that both Matt and Wade show for each other...when Matt says "I almost lost you to him so it makes me nervous" and Wade says" the only way I would sleep with someone else is if I was forced to" you again show us the real hard fought commitment that is there and I am not ashamed to admit that it gives me the warm fuzzies. You also showed us the depth of Zach's feelings for Will and how important he is to Zach by having him explain what was at stake for JJ when he calls after his program and doesn't get the connection he needs. That was a brilliant scene in itself.

Thanks for another exceptional chapter...Cheers...Gary

Thanks for the review Gary. You mentioned in your first paragraph the really key reason JP is upset. This is a big deal to him, because of his history (don't we all carry baggage with us?), and to have Stef and Brad rather blithely disregard something this important to him is probably more searing than what they're actually doing.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 04:20 AM, Daddydavek said:
There has always been war profiteering and just because it is so, doesn't make it right. However, several companies profited as a result of that war while the off the budget financing of the war added at least three trillion dollars to the US sovereign debt and what did the country do, but extend the Bush tax cuts for the upper brackets, over and over and over again. The new congress will probably make them permanent.

I'm like JP in that I still get upset about it even as we are sending troops back to Iraq.

I know this is historical fiction, but it really does strike a nerve.

I agree with you: I think that the Iraq War was one of the more shameful episodes in our history, not because it was worse than some of our other incursions, but because we should have known better. This is one aspect of the story where I'm going to have to work hard to even trot out the opposing opinion. And BTW, the tax cuts were already made permanent in 2013, as part of the budget reconciliation and a prelude to the government shutdown.
  • Like 3
Link to comment

A truly great piece of writing; this evoked so many emotions within me. Even with everything that had happened on 9/11; I was one of those that spent time and money protesting the second invasion of Iraq. We went in only for two reasons really; as payback to the first war costing the first Bush his Presidency and because shrub, that is what those in the know in Texas always called George W, let Cheney call the shots on the invasion to pay him back for getting him elected. There were never any WMD and the link to the terrorist could be tied much more strongly to Saudi Arabia than Iraq. I truly watched America turn into a second rate country during the early years of the 2000's.

 

It does not surprise me at all that JP is taking the position that he is; and very impressed that Will not only got it out of him but understands and supports his position. I had relatives make a lot of money during this time frame because of heavy investments in certain industries but I am weird and standing up for something just strikes me as more important that adding another zero to your bank account. I think Will's interpretations of Stef and Brad are spot on and while I am not surprised by Brad, I am very disappointed in Stef. I understand that with Triton they are going to make a lot of money but they did not go into that company to profit from the coming war but will do so, that is a distinction that should mean something. That being said to become war profiteers was looked down upon during WWI and WWII when people actually had honor and saw war as a duty and a sacrifice, not just as a way to make money. I am not naïve and realize that people profited mightily during those conflicts but it was still looked down upon and something one was almost ashamed of having done, those that did it with both Iraq wars did it with glee and celebrations over the bodies of young dead Americans...

 

Now to happier thoughts, the scene with JJ and Tiffany and the guard was just perfect. It was just that perfect touch of comedy and drama that is so hard to pull off. The follow up with JJ and Alex was nice as well, but I really do want to see how JJ reacts to the Mary Ellen situation. I think that both JJ and Alex do care for each other but there has to be some ground rules set up or there will be more drama than we would normally expect with JJ and anyone...

 

I loved Matt's reaction to Wade's friendly kiss with Alex but the aftermath was just perfect. Matt gets so worked up so quickly but then just get's over it, so different from Wade...

 

God, I can just see Elizabeth sacrificing some virgin on the alter to corporate greed and political expediency to get this war kicked into high gear.... Of course needing a virgin of a certain age, you know it won't be any of her family...

 

Great job, this was just a brilliant chapter, Mark....

 

p.s. sorry for the rant but not enough to delete it... LOL...

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Mark...as always an interesting read! Do you take the comments and perhaps tweak future chapters based on people's reactions or are you just writing as you see fit? I think someone once commented that you can never be too rich or too thin. However, we need to be conscious of how we make that money so I agree with Will's comments. I guess the rabid Republicans are still in shock, huh.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Streak.

 

What a gem of a chapter! Alex going to JJ was the right thing to do, I hope they'll work out this episode. It was sweet to see Zach confirm JJ's feelings. They're truly fellow athletes.

 

I'm going to surprise everyone: I'm absolutely disgusted with Will's dinner attitude. The end doesn't justify the means. He's a hypocrite calling JP on his behaviour. He has absolutely no standing to call JP out in his own home. Mind my words: the end was needed. JP was rightly troubled, and it was nice to be reminded of his fight against the Vietnam war.

 

I'm anxious to see what Stef's and Brad's share in Halliburton is. I hope they'll sell their shares on principle. I think it's a sign of Brad's need for control that he won't even disclose Will's share in Halliburton.

 

MORE PLEASE!

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

  • Like 3
Link to comment

The arc of this saga is JP and his protégé Will. Will could see that JP was troubled when no one else did. Perhaps Will understands JP even more than Stef.

How appropriate that Mr. Cheney's name is Dick.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Mark, if you are looking to discuss the pro-Iraq War point of view, I have a suggestion as far as something to think about. Rather, I should say, I have a suggestion that is adjacent to the pro-War PoV. I have no idea how you would write a rational, intelligent, and moral character who thought that war was a good idea.

 

Unfortunately I do have some experience dealing with people who have had to cope with the anxiety and stress of deployments, the aftermath psychologically when the return, the difficulty of dealing with serious combat injuries, the loss of friends and loved ones, and the toll that takes on the friends and families of the deceased. One thing that is very difficult about that situation is that, while it is easy to discuss the difference in very logical terms between supporting the mission and supporting the men and women deployed to conduct the mission if you are distant from it, it is quite a different thing if you are right in the middle of the thing. So, while I have no sympathy for politicians and pundits and their like who support the war, I have nothing but sympathy for those who deployed and those who care about them who don’t understand why people don’t support the war.

 

I have had to remind myself many times that as difficult as it is to process a war for which there is no rational basis as an outside observer, it is a whole different level of difficult to comprehend a war for which there is no rational basis if you are also coping with the stress of direct involvement in that war.

 

Added to this, particularly at the start of the war, was an incredibly strong cultural pressure within the military, particularly in the units which make up the SOCCOM/JSOC end of things, that they were above the trauma inflicted by deployment. Especially at the start of the war, a lot of bullshit about the elite being beyond the effects of war which cause so much suffering to the “weaker” men in “lesser” units caused a real problem when it came to the effects of those deployments. Fortunately this has gotten better, but it remains one more tragedy of the war. Steff and JP and even Brad are getting a little long in the tooth to have friends who would be on the front lines, but it is well within the realm of possibility that Matt and Wade know people who would be affected (e.g. it takes about three years from starting training before your first deployment for SEALs, around two years or so for Air Force ParaRescue and Combat Controllers, and a little less time than that for Army Rangers. Given how many of those guys have backgrounds in college sports, it would seem likely that Wade and Matt had teammates who were around their age or a little order who would be off fighting in the wars).

 

On the upside, I personally believe that one of the things which has done the most to drive acceptance of homosexuals in the military has been the shared experience of the war. Particularly in units which have been heavily engaged in combat, the close bonds formed there have transcended prejudices, and examples of people remaining close to gay teammates after they come out, are some of the best examples of the gains we have made as a community over the last decade.

 

As always, still loving the story,

I hope this finds you well,

 

Jason

Link to comment

Provocative chapter. We are coming up on another chapter in history that I wish we could rewrite, sadly not only can we not...we haven't even fully finished sorting through the impact of the short sighted decisions made during that time. I look forward to your interpretation as I have all the others. Thank you again for your work.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I loved JJ's comparison between himself and Will, especially "No way I was sleeping with the help." Thank you for another excellent chapter!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Mark,

I do remember the thought I had back in 2003, "wow! The United States of America throppled Iraqi's Dictator within 21 days! That showed the world how powerful we are!" And, now, I looked back to those conflicts... would this so-called Islamic State never happened if we didn't do the Imperialism? Some people said that Iraq is better off having Saddam Hussein because he was the lesser evil than otherwise.

 

Anyway, I can understand why JP is upset about this war after lived through Vietnam War. Now, as Jason (StoriReder) mentioned guys among Matt and Wade's teammates may have gone to Iraq, and even those young main characters may have been deployed! I am nervous now about who will be survived/ killed in action or what will happen next? Storyline changes after the death of loved one?

I am looking forward to read your next chapter!

-

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 04:55 AM, centexhairysub said:
A truly great piece of writing; this evoked so many emotions within me. Even with everything that had happened on 9/11; I was one of those that spent time and money protesting the second invasion of Iraq. We went in only for two reasons really; as payback to the first war costing the first Bush his Presidency and because shrub, that is what those in the know in Texas always called George W, let Cheney call the shots on the invasion to pay him back for getting him elected. There were never any WMD and the link to the terrorist could be tied much more strongly to Saudi Arabia than Iraq. I truly watched America turn into a second rate country during the early years of the 2000's.

 

It does not surprise me at all that JP is taking the position that he is; and very impressed that Will not only got it out of him but understands and supports his position. I had relatives make a lot of money during this time frame because of heavy investments in certain industries but I am weird and standing up for something just strikes me as more important that adding another zero to your bank account. I think Will's interpretations of Stef and Brad are spot on and while I am not surprised by Brad, I am very disappointed in Stef. I understand that with Triton they are going to make a lot of money but they did not go into that company to profit from the coming war but will do so, that is a distinction that should mean something. That being said to become war profiteers was looked down upon during WWI and WWII when people actually had honor and saw war as a duty and a sacrifice, not just as a way to make money. I am not naïve and realize that people profited mightily during those conflicts but it was still looked down upon and something one was almost ashamed of having done, those that did it with both Iraq wars did it with glee and celebrations over the bodies of young dead Americans...

 

Now to happier thoughts, the scene with JJ and Tiffany and the guard was just perfect. It was just that perfect touch of comedy and drama that is so hard to pull off. The follow up with JJ and Alex was nice as well, but I really do want to see how JJ reacts to the Mary Ellen situation. I think that both JJ and Alex do care for each other but there has to be some ground rules set up or there will be more drama than we would normally expect with JJ and anyone...

 

I loved Matt's reaction to Wade's friendly kiss with Alex but the aftermath was just perfect. Matt gets so worked up so quickly but then just get's over it, so different from Wade...

 

God, I can just see Elizabeth sacrificing some virgin on the alter to corporate greed and political expediency to get this war kicked into high gear.... Of course needing a virgin of a certain age, you know it won't be any of her family...

 

Great job, this was just a brilliant chapter, Mark....

 

p.s. sorry for the rant but not enough to delete it... LOL...

Thank you so much for the nice review! You touched on a lot of topics, but I'll focus on Matt and Wade. In my mind, they're that couple with a lot of history, and a lot of love, but they've moved into this new dynamic (monogamy) and they're both trying to wrap their minds around it.

 

And just like Wade went a little overboard with his reaction to Matt going out for drinks with the hockey players, so Matt was a little bit overreactive with the Alex-Wade kiss.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 06:13 AM, nassauman9 said:
Mark...as always an interesting read! Do you take the comments and perhaps tweak future chapters based on people's reactions or are you just writing as you see fit? I think someone once commented that you can never be too rich or too thin. However, we need to be conscious of how we make that money so I agree with Will's comments. I guess the rabid Republicans are still in shock, huh.
Do I tweak future chapters? Almost never. The only time I've done that is if I've gotten an expert opinion on something I'd gotten wrong...I'm thinking of Will's emancipation process, and how Private Tim set me straight on the legal issues. And in a lot of cases, these chapters are roughed out far in advance, depending on how motivated I am. This summer, I had finished Flux and was halfway into "Streak" when Flux was in it's first ten chapters. Now, I don't have that many chapters in hand.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 11/18/2014 06:50 AM, shyboy85 said:
Hi Mark,

 

Thanks for the next chapter of Streak.

 

What a gem of a chapter! Alex going to JJ was the right thing to do, I hope they'll work out this episode. It was sweet to see Zach confirm JJ's feelings. They're truly fellow athletes.

 

I'm going to surprise everyone: I'm absolutely disgusted with Will's dinner attitude. The end doesn't justify the means. He's a hypocrite calling JP on his behaviour. He has absolutely no standing to call JP out in his own home. Mind my words: the end was needed. JP was rightly troubled, and it was nice to be reminded of his fight against the Vietnam war.

 

I'm anxious to see what Stef's and Brad's share in Halliburton is. I hope they'll sell their shares on principle. I think it's a sign of Brad's need for control that he won't even disclose Will's share in Halliburton.

 

MORE PLEASE!

Lots of loving cuddles,

Maarten

Maarten,

 

You're as predictable as Will. :-) He did the right thing, and I think it's important to note that while Escorial belongs to JP, it is the family home, and that gives them all the right to speak out, if not by law, then by custom and tradition.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..