Prompt #239 - First Line

I came up with a real short piece for this one:

“Just give me a minute, please.”  I could hear the note of panic in my voice as I uttered those words thru the door.  How did I let myself get talked into this?  You would have thought I had learned my lesson, but no.  Once again I had let Alex talk me into doing something I never would have dreamed doing on my own.  Now here I was, about to go out on stage, in front of everyone, and allow myself to be auctioned off.

What the hell had I been thinking?  And what kind of drugs had Alex slipped me that made me agree to this?

I took a breath and looked at myself in the mirror.  Would anyone even bid for me?  I wondered.  I’m not really all that special to look at.  People don’t flee from me in horror when I venture out on the streets; and angry, torch bearing mobs don’t gather either, but I’m just an average guy.  I did have to admit the tux looked nice, but most guys do look decent in one unless it is one of those dorky, pastel colored tuxes.  I couldn’t remember the last time I had put one on.

“Zach!” Alex yelled thru the door.  “C’mon!  You are up next so get your butt out here.”

Easy for him to say.  He wasn’t the one about to go on stage and make a fool of himself.  He should have been the one going out there.  With Alex’s good looks, he would have drawn some fairly high bids.  But Alex was in a serious relationship, married in all but name, and this was supposed to be bachelors up for auction. 

God I hope someone would at least bid a couple dollars for me!  I began to wonder if I could bribe someone to do it.  I mentally kicked myself for not thinking of that sooner.  There wasn’t really time to do it now.  Why do all my brilliant ideas always come to me too late to do anything about it?

“Zach!” Alex yelled at me again bursting thru the door.  “What the hell is taking you so long?”

I looked at Alex and I seriously considered slugging him.  The grin on his face said it all.  He knew damn well what was taking me so long. 

“I don’t want to do this Alex,” I told him in a quiet, trembling voice.  “Why did I let you talk me into this?”

“Because you know it’s for charity,” Alex answered promptly making me feel like a heel.  “But mainly because I’m so charming!” Alex finished with his best, shit-eating grin. 

“I hate you!” I told him rolling my eyes and making him laugh.  “All right,” I gave in.  “Let’s get this over with.  I just hope someone bids for me.”

“I promise I’ll bid a dollar for you,” Alex teased me pushing me towards the door.  “But you’ll have to pay me back,” Alex continued teasing.  “You can work as my house boy to pay off the debt.”

“You are a shit head,” I told him making him laugh again.  “Seriously though, will you bid for me if no one else does?” I pleaded.  “I don’t want to look like an idiot up there.  I’ll pay you back.”

“Oh Zach,” Alex answered me exasperated.  “Stop it!  The guys out there are going to bid for you.  You’re still a catch and they’d be lucky to win you in the auction.”

“I am not,” I protested.  “Alex, promise me that you’ll bid.”  I glared at him, trying to get him to take this seriously.  “You got me into this.  You better not leave me out there hanging.  I really will slug you if you do!”

“All right bruiser,” Alex gave in shaking his head.  “But I’m telling you I’m not going to have to make a bid.  You’ll see.   Now get out there – it’s your turn,” Alex finished and gave me a little push towards the stage.

“Gentlemen, our next bachelor is Zach, a 44 year old amateur chef who intends to cook the lucky winner of his date a special home cooked meal…” I heard the emcee begin his spiel, but the rest of his pitch was lost to me as the sound of the pounding of my heart quickly drowned him out.  Alex gave me another little shove and suddenly I found myself on stage. 

How the hell do I get myself into these things anyway?

• Like 3
  • 1 year later...