It has finally happened, zombies have risen and are attacking. Is this like Shaun of the Dead or are your Zombies more vicious? Tell us all about the apocalypse.

• Like 1

Here's mine. Feel better now Myi?

Prompt 244

Note: Zombies are not really my thing, but after reading the other responses and a conversation with Sasha that little voice in my head started in again so here I go. I swear that little voice is actually writing the responses and I am simply the typist!

Why do the living think we want to be like this? We don’t.  I don’t tell them they should not be eating steak do I?

It is really a matter of survival. We exist. We want to keep existing, so we have to feed. It’s not my fault a cow’s brains just don’t cut it for zombie nutrition. Ordering a batch from the local butchers shop like you live ones would buy a side of beef to fill your freezer would be soooooooo much easier!

Ok, let me start at the beginning. I’m obviously a zombie. There are lots of bad things about that, and very few good things. 

The human trait to carry on, to survive, to do what you have to in order to keep going gets way stronger after you die. We’ve been there, and don’t want to do it again. So if you end up like me that trait just gets all that much stronger.

For us, surviving means the regular consumption of human brains. Cow or pig brains may sustain us for a short time, but only long enough to find a human donor. Most of us don’t like the idea of where our meals come from. I mean – we used to be just like you. But survival is survival ya know? So we try and stick to the already recently departed. Like any food, fresh is always best. Frozen is a decent second place. In a pinch we could dig up someone from the local cemetery but that is just, well, too ghoulish for my tastes.  And like any carnivorous based diet there comes a time when decomposition renders something inedible.

The black market has helped to reduce the number of feeding deprived crazed zombies. We can get what we need by making a deal with a well-informed coroner or funeral director. The “donors” are no longer using what we need and no one is truly hurt by this. Immoral? Maybe, but to my mind its better than eating the guy next door. And as long as we feed properly you would never know us from any one of the still fully living. 

It’s only the ones who have resisted feeding properly for too long that snap. The lack of sustenance is what causes the decay. Our brains go first. That’s why poorly fed zombies shuffle and have such poor bodily control. Sort of like a zombie version of a stroke.  Messes up the vocal patterns too. Once the decay has started it really cannot be reversed. Feeding properly will slow it but …..

The so called “feeding frenzy” of a group of zombies isn’t quite what you think either. The lack of brain activity drives the poor dumb shits to band together to feed. It’s the only way. Sort of like pooling the remaining functioning brain matter to get it together enough to feed.

Once a zombie has snapped it’s like their own brains never existed.  Feeding is their only priority. And at that point only a fresh kill will do. No thought process at all to curb the temptations. Lunch walks by in the form of some hot young twink and they go for it. No, that has nothing to do with if we had been gay or straight before we changed. That’s one of the other things that sucks about this state is a lack of sexual desire. None, zero, zilch. We remember, and miss it, but the hormones just are not there. For some silly reason gay guys just taste better. Don’t ask me why that is, it just is.  

• Like 2

Case: Black

Camp Shelby

Hattiesburg, MS

0530CST

Sergeant Rob Taylor watched his kids doing morning P.T. After five weeks in the Mississippi heat, they were shaping up nicely.

They weren't bad for weekend warriors. They were all too damn young and greener than grass. All of them had missed out on the big sand. Afghanistan. Iraq. That had all wound down and most of the vets of those hell-holes didn't want anything more to do with the Army.

It was a shame really. Taylor had spent a lot of years in the saddle and missed a lot of friends.

Some had walked away from the army to build a new life somewhere. Others had drown in a bottle unable to shake the horrors that they had seen. All of them had screwed up at one point or another. It was that kind of war. There was just no way to tell who could live with it and who it would consume like a particularly vicious acid. Too damn many of his friends had committed suicide.

As he watched his platoon finished off morning PT and his squad leaders got the men in formation.

Corporal Kevin Vance approached Taylor, saluted and said, "Drill Sergeant Taylor, the Corporal wishes to inform you that the platoon has completed morning PT and is awaiting your instructions."

Taylor said, "Very well Corporal. I think it's a fine day for a brisk little run. Let's head up Indian Springs trail and back around the artillery range. After chow we'll spend the balance of the day on the range."

Vance stifled a smile and said, "Outstanding Drill Sergeant!" He turned in fine military precision and yelled, "Fall in by squads and saddle up. Follow me and move out."

Taylor suppressed his own grin. How could anybody be that gung ho at this time of the morning looking at a twenty mile run?

As the last squad took off, Taylor took off behind the squad.

Memphis, TN

The morning traffic was rising to its peak as Officers Carson and Ogletree pulled their cruiser out on the big loop around town comprised of I-240 on the South, I-40 on the North and I-69 around the West. Morning traffic watch was a big headache and both of them were relieved that they would soon be rotating shifts. It never failed that someone would screw up and tie up traffic for miles.

Sure enough, the first call of the day took them to the Lamar Avenue exit on I-240. They got off and road the shoulder the last quarter mile and founf a three car stack. A Honda had rear ended a old Pontiac and driven it into the back of a Toyota Tacoma.

Another blue and white car of the Memphis PD pulled up and wreckers. They took pictures of the scene and statements of the drivers. Just like they had a few thousand times before when Ogletree heard something. He looked up and saw a tiny aircraft flying right down the length of Lamar Avenue moving directly toward them from the South-east.

He yelled, "Carson look!"

Carson looked up from his pad just in time to see the tiny aircraft fly directly over them and follow the road to the North-west.

He shrugged and went back to filling out the accident report.

A few minutes later, a fine mist began landing. Carson saw it first on the Honda's windshield. Ogletree had actually seen it streaming out of the back of the tiny aircraft.

Carson walked over to Ogletree and said, "What the f*ck, Tom?"

Ogletree said, "I don't like it. I don't like it at all. Remember those Homeland Security drills?"

Carson said, "Call it in. Call it in RIGHT NOW."

Washington, DC

White House

0842EST, 0742CST

Secret Service Director Donald Moss had been in his office when he heard the SAM missiles fire off.

He was out of his desk and in the Situation Room in a matter of seconds. "Where is POTUS?"

The Duty Officer answered, "POTUS detail put him on Marine One and he's en route to Camp David. Their first family is at home is Denver. The Vice President has been diverted from his trip to Chicago and is en route to Weather Mountain."

Moss said, "OK. So tell me. Why did we punch the panic button... Agent Chance?"

Chance said, "Four minutes ago airborne radar picked up a bogey on a direct vector to the White House. We got it on high speed camera as it passed over the 495. It was a drone. As soon as it got in our engagement envelope I gave order to fire upon it."

Moss said, "OK. It looks like you did the right thing. What are we doing about retrieving it?"

"It went down in Montross Park and the DC police are surrounding it. We have a forensics team on the way."

Moss felt the adrenalin rush subsiding and said, "Put them through to me as soon as we have anything."

Agent Chance said, "Boss, I may have over-reacted but better safe than sorry. That looked a lot like a bio-chem attack to me. I sent out our team with full precautions."

Moss felt a knot of ice form at the pit of his stomach. "I don't like it. I'm calling Homeland. Give me what you've got ASAP. Something tells me that this is just beginning."

Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center

FEMA/Homeland Security Operations Center

Bluemount, VA

10:00EST/9:00CST

Director of Homeland Security Francis Kirkwood glared at the technicians as they hastily arranged the teleconference. Half of the Federal bureaucracy was connected now in addition to an alphabet soup of military and law enforcement brass.

On the hour he began the conference. If anyone was late they could read the brief.

"I am Frances Kirkwood, Director of Homeland Security. This morning we believe that a number of our largest metropolitan centers were attacked with an unknown biological agent. Samples of this agent have been taken in DC and we have confirmation that the same type drones hit Boston, Baltimore, Cleveland, Atlanta, Miami, Memphis, Houston, Dallas-Forth Worth, well hell guys... any city big enough to have an NFL or NBA franchise."

"This is General Armstrong of USAMARIID, what do we know about the agent?"

Kirkwood said, "We have only had time to make a preliminary analysis. Special Agent Chase, what have your lab guys told you?"

"Special Agent Chase- Secret Service, White House Detail. The report from our lab guys does not look good. We shot the drone down before it hosed the White House and were able to get a fair sized sample of the liquid it was spraying. The labbies say its mostly water suspending billions of nano-tech particles."

There was a gasp but Chase continued, "Most viruses are quite fragile. The UV rays in sunlight destroys a great many of them.  It is one of the reasons that viruses are so hard to weaponize. This nano-tech is quite sophisticated. It's hard to do. I'm not even sure anyone in the United States even has this capability but it's something the bio-warefare guys have been thinking about for some time."

"Rather than release pure virus, they release nano-bots that contain virus particles. When they are in favorable conditions, the nano-bot releases the."

One of the people connected to the teleconference asked, "Like what kind of favorable conditions?"

Chase answered, "The particle was inhaled or landed on the skin."

The President said, "This sounds like a very sophisticated biological attack."

Chase replied, "It is Mr. President. It took some very serious technology to make these nano-bot delivery systems and we aren't even sure what is inside of them. We've got samples heading to BL4 labs across the country."

The President said, "I've heard enough gentlemen. As of this moment, I am declaring Case Black."

Camp Shelby

Hattiesburg, MS

0905CST

Taylor's men were on the last leg of their run when his cell phone went off. He pulled it out of his holster and looked at the message:

All Commands: begin Case Black protocol immediately

He was so stunned that he almost took a spill on a tree root. He instantly dialed the base duty officer. 

It rang twice and a recording took over: "This is Shelby Command. The NCA has declared a Case Black. All leaves are canceled. All Guard units are called up. Report to your commanding officer as soon as possible."

He holstered his phone and said, "Holy Shit."

Corporal Vance jogged along beside him and asked, "What's up Sarge?"

Taylor said, "I don't know but I'm pretty damned sure that none of us are going to like it."

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 2
  • 3 months later...