Prompt #266 - First Line

Oh Jo Ann - this story is wonderful !! At first I thought they were gonna break up over the job situation but I am glad that they didn't  :hug: A happy, warm, sweet story - thank you for sharing :wub:

• Like 1

When I read you did this prompt and you said you're a romantic sap I knew this story had to have a nice ending. Phew. I was right. Thank you for sharing, wouldn't mind to read more romantic sappiness every now and then... :*)

• Like 1

A Loss of Confidence

“I don’t care! I still believe in you”, stated Admiral Stewart.

Admiral Tanaka said, "This is the right fleet, in the right place to break the enemies back. If we pull out now we may not have another chance.

Bassett sighed. "We just took a beating at Kirland Roads. We lost four heavy cruisers and another sixteen ships damaged to varying degrees. I'm just not sure we still have the firepower."

Sam Stewart, one of Bassett's oldest friends laughed and said, "I seem to remember you saying that our orders are too broad, the mission too ambitious, our logistics impossible, our strategy improbable and our forces inadequate. However, so far in this campaign we have won every battle we have fought, gathered a great deal of actionable intelligence and managed to collect several hundred survivors that had long been written off."

Lt Commander Daniel Sokolsky, Bassett's staff science officer, said, "We have a situation where the clock is running. We know that the enemy are intelligent machines capable of learning. Every couple of months, they field something new. So far, we have been able to handle everything that they have developed but they are working from a higher tech base than the Alliance. Sooner or later they are going to field something that we can't handle."

There was silence in the conference room. They all knew the truth in Sokolsky's statement.

Bassett said, "Sam, do we still have the kind of strength we need to screen the carriers and the Marine Assault ships?"

Admiral Stewart replied, "The battleships and battle cruisers are untouched. We are only down in cruiser and destroyer strength but we expect to get at least a dozen of those repaired and combat ready within the week."

Tanaka said, "I can take up some of the slack by laying on more CAP and BAR-CAP missions from the carriers."

Captain Hutchins, Bassett's Chief of Staff said, "We are still doing well on expendables. We have missiles and ammunition for twelve weeks of continuous operations and we have a gas mining ship and refinery set up for fuel. We have the logistics that we need to continue the fight for months if necessary."

Bassett said, "We've got three more major objectives and several smaller ones. We aren't sure what the fleets based at Omicron Ceti are doing but if they are sticking with the plan, their raids and destruction of enemy listening posts has got to provoke some reaction."

"You're right. I guess that I was foolish thinking that we could get the job done without some losses. We didn't come this far to go home empty handed. I want an op plan to take down objective Tango-23. We need to finish what we have started." 

• Like 1

WARNING - This story does contain drug use, although it isn't glorified, etc. Please don't read if you may find this subject triggering or upsetting.

Thanks to Kitt for reading through for me. Any mistakes, etc. left are entirely my own.

“I don’t care! I still believe in you.”

That’s what she wished her best friend had said, instead of walking away and leaving her adrift. She knew that they had both made mistakes in this life, but she hadn’t even realised that she had caused a problem when she had made this one – the one which had the biggest impact she could imagine. It had all come down to a he-said-she-said situation, and a petty schoolgirl crush. This had led to accusations being thrown around, and she had been frozen out of one of her social groups for something which she hadn’t even done. The worst part? Her best friend hadn’t believed her either.

Shrugging off her internal musings, she continued to apply the mascara to her right eye, checking she had reached into the corners properly before snapping the compact mirror shut and throwing it back into her bag. If he came back, he came back, but if not, she knew what the best coping mechanism was. Her friends had invited her out tonight, and who was she to reject an invitation like that? That’s how she had found herself here, in the sitting room of a large student house, dirty pint in one hand and a few white tablets in the other.

“Go on,” they heckled, “everyone else has had some. Are you really going to be the odd one out? You said you wanted to forget for a while, well here’s your answer. Take them!”

She didn’t want to dither anymore. It had taken her so much time to kick the bad habits that she had had previously, but at this point, she just didn’t give a fuck anymore. In a snap decision, she threw the tablets to the back of her throat and washed them down with a mouthful of someone else’s drink.

---------------------------------------------

Everyone was staring at her. She could feel their eyes drilling holes into the back of her head. The music was simultaneously too loud and too quiet and she was starting to shake. Her body temperature had ended up out of whack, and she couldn’t focus her eyes anymore. The clock on her phone lit up the dark corner of the club that she had taken to but the numbers danced around the screen mockingly in a way which meant that she couldn’t read them.

She regretted this. She should have known that they would lead her astray. She just wanted to get herself some chicken and go home. She pulled out her house keys and she realised that she had no clue where her house was.

She was frozen in that position until she felt an arm wrap around her waist and a soft bite to her neck. Tilting her head back, she came face to face with the one who had given her the tablets. What was his name again? Before she could remember he had taken her hand and started leading her through the crowd, out towards the door. Bodies pressed into her from all sides, and she felt so claustrophobic she thought she was going to faint.  

She felt his hand slipping away from hers, and realised that she was alone again. This time was different though. The bass was pounding and her heartbeat was doing a rapid crescendo. She bolted for the door in panic, and fell down the stairs, the world rotating and spinning before she finally came to a rest on her back on the damp pavement. Her legs were shaking and she felt her lungs getting tight. All she could think about was what a stupid idea those tablets were.

After a minute, she slowly turned onto her hands and knees, before staggering to her feet again. With drunken determination, she set off in the direction that she thought her house was in.

She couldn’t work out where the noise was coming from. It was a crashing rumble, like a speeding train rushing past the platform. Spinning around, she hit metal railings and got soaked by a rogue wave. The sea! With sheer joy, she climbed unsteadily over the railings and fell off the edge of the pavement and into the sand below. She knew that the cold sea would help her sober up. This night was meant to be about taking away her pain, but it hadn’t done anything of the sort. She couldn’t make her legs work anymore, so she crawled towards the source of the noise. The sea was so beautiful, a dark shape with light glittering and bouncing off the surface, so uncontrollable and powerful and strong.

Finally, she felt herself starting to get wet as the waves hit the shore. Knowing she was close, she looked up towards her goal. Crawling closer, the water level quickly reached her hands, then her elbows, then deeper. Her balance was off, and she was so confused. She couldn’t see anything, and felt herself falling face first into the depths that she had been convinced would help her. Instead, the salt stung her eyes and filled her nose. She wanted to cough and gasp for air but something inside her told her to keep her mouth closed and not to breathe in. She could hear crashing and splashing but she couldn’t see anything, she didn’t know which way was upwards, she didn’t know where she was. Her lungs were burning and getting tight, and her level of panic was growing. A sense of desperation filled her, and she started to scrabble around. She had reached the point where she knew that it would do no good. She had made her decision, now she would pay for it. A sense of serenity overcame her, and she felt herself go limp as she retreated inside her mind, to a different place and time.

----------------------------------------                 

She didn’t know how long she had been there when she felt firm hands gripping her shoulders and pulling her face out of the water. It could have been seconds, or it could have been hours. She looked up while coughing desperately to see who had come to save her from herself, and came face to face with her best friend. When her best friend uttered those words, she could hardly believe her ears.

“I don’t care. I still believe in you.”

Edited by Never Surrender
  • Like 2

Walking quietly up behind Landon, Dan leaned forward and wrapped his boyfriend in his arms, rubbing his tear stained cheek against Landon's wet cheek.  "I'm sorry for leaving you and hurting you.  It was childish.  Feeling like a failure was my own doing.  You've never made me feel that way.  I love you Landon.  I'll begin job hunting again Monday, and will wait tables if I have to, but I'll never leave you again."

Well, that did it for me. Hauled the tissues out.

I loved this story.  As with hundreds of other uplifting stories, this one had it's moments of sadness.  This little story resonates.  So many emotions, sadness, joy, a little itsy feeling of happiness.  I love stories like this.  Thank you my Lady Friday.  

• Like 1