A Most Profoundly Frustrating (Love) Story

A Most Profoundly Frustrating (Love) Story

This short story is extremely well-written. It is bittersweet, for the main character-narrator is not exactly the happiest, most worries-free person, but he has a look at life (and people around) that's acute and some sharp wits. A really nice view on romance, well described characters, and a twist at the end.

OK, usual warning: SPOILER ahead--

I thought you had to wait several weeks to get tested for HIV? But it doesn't matter much for the story anyway.

A wonderful story which accurately described the problems faced by the teen gay. Being one myself, I could identify myself at many places. It was so well written that you could feel the disillusionment of the character.

Great Job

Ieshwar

Very well written, and enjoyable - except for the ending, which made me want to hunt you down and beat you over the head with a wet kipper.

Nonetheless, thank you.

Camy

Billy,

I disagree with Camy, I loved the ending. Guess had his romantic moment, and sometimes all you need to know is dicovered in that brief ten seconds of contact. Like you said, it didn't matter what the doctor had to say. Life is moments, and in that moment, Guess was happy.

Jason R.

By the way, i wondered how you would explain a name like Guess. Very profound in it's own right.

I usually hate stories with endings like that, but in that one I think it fit. Jason seems right in that it didn't really matter how it ended. Sometime stories don't need to be set in stone to be really rather nice. So many little side stories that don't really matter in the end, so many little thoughts of "What if?" or "What happens next" that don't need to be explored. It's complexity is somehow reduced to a simple, single moment.

• Site Administrator

I agree with Jason. As was said at the start of the story, it's sometimes about moments, not endings.

On the other issue, my understanding is that there are tests that can be done quickly BUT a negative result requires a follow-up test later to be sure, and by later, I think it's weeks or months.

Thanks, Billy :) I enjoyed that.

I gave this story another read tonight. What prompted me was Jason's comments in this thread. I must confess that I missed the very point of the story my first time around. :(

I failed to make the connection between Guess' romantic excerpt from Orwell's book and the closing scene between Guess and Perry. A most profound oversight, I admit. So, yes, the ending was perfect. :wub:

That was brilliant, Billy.

Conner