Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play

The story is very good so far and I cant wait to see Brandon's reaction! Lol I already have my first suspect whos gonna cause problems for our band but I could be wrong just gotta wait and see!

Jees, I just got email a few minutes ago about CJ's new story, and I see from the discussion that it went up last night. I guess the e-Fiction bot isn't exactly speedy. I can't believe everyone got to it so quickly - especially on a weekend. Doesn't anyone here have anything else to do? I feel like I've arrived late to the party. :P

Given where this story is being posted, I'm expecting that Brandon will turn out to be gay, and that Chase will turn out to be gay, and that Lump is the homophobe.

If Brandon is gay, it would explain his being tossed out of his home.

If Chase is gay, it would explain the problems the boy had with their father, who can't accept Chase's sexual orientation, and the possibility that Lump sided with the parents on this issue.

Oh, to CJ: great start to a story, though I think I might like it even better if these great characters had a chance to play about in a universe that stayed realistic in a tale that didn't develop into a thriller involving radioactive bombs.

I, too, couldn't agree more with Rigel. I think it's a given that Brandon's gay, and that one of the brothers is gay - most likely Chase. I look forward to some very awkward dancing around the issue until Brandon and the gay brother manage to come out to each other after falling in love. There could be some very interesting and, hopefully, humorous rather than tragic scenes until they do come out. The s**t could really hit the fan, however, if/when they're relationship becomes public.

CJ, it's not up to me to tell you how to write your story, but I'm loving it so far. I would just hate to see it side-tracked by secret plots and nuclear bombs. You've already got a great start on a story without the need for espionage and intrigue, but knowing how you write, it will all come together in the end.

:P:worship:Hey you, great prolific magnanimous masterly author :worship::P

Already a new story, and I hadn't time till now to "digest" the other ones

:lol: .

Thanks to be as prolific in your stories than in your posts.

Comments will come later, first I have to read :funny: .

Thanks Bob!! :wub:

Exactly! I have noted instead of the first person narration like in FTL, you chose the third person narration. But it was good. Was it difficult?

God, I'm already missing Brandon and Chase. I want more!!!! You can send me the next chapters privately, you know.

Ieshwar

P.S Don't forget to let the music play!!! :P

I had to go with third person in LTMP: there are a few subplots that remain separate for quite some time, and there was no way I could maneuver anyone into "knowing it all" as I would have to do in 1st person, so I had to go 3rd, and I find 3rd a much more flexible way to write. I'm loving it. I am new to it, with only my short story "The Muse" (fall 2006 anthology) as prior experience, but it's not as hard as I'd thought.

Ch 3 should be posted fairly soon. :)

Hey!

Awesome start.

I really couldn't say anything else but wow.

I like the way you portrayed Brandon. Just by describing his environment and what he's doing and eating, you gave me a clear picture of the kind of person he is and the kind of person he wants to be. Kudos!

Rad

Thanks Rad! That's what I was going for. He's in a fix, for sure. :)

I'm going to agree with Rigel 100% here. I believe that Brandon was kicked out of his family, his band, and his life for the simple fact that he was gay. What other secret can usually evoke these responses from everybody to wards someone (except maybe if his parents found his secret Milli Vanilli CD collection) :D .

Okay, who leaked the plot? :lol:

Nice one, CJ!

Though the prologue threw me a bit, I'm still grinning like a total fool, and can't wait for chapter 3!

Camy B)

Thanks Camy!!!

I love this story! The music industry is a fantastic setting for a story. How exactly the bombs fit in escapes me as well. I'm totally taken with Brandon. :wub:

:lmao: That line was just perfect. :2thumbs:

Thanks Conner!!!

BTW, for those unfamiliar with my other stories, I do put clues in my stories, often quite a few. But I give fair warning; there may be misdirections, too. :)

Sweet story CJ.

I got the impression that Brandon was kicked out because his parents found out he's gay.

As far as Lump goes, he's got a drug and alcohol problem which is why he's not that reliable anymore.

Chase I hadn't thought about, but for all we know, any one of the brothers can be gay, we just don't know who at the moment. Chase could be protecting one of his brothers.

I can see CJ having one of the brothers taking a mirror off the wall and holding it up in front of Brandon when the break the news to him that he's in.

I think Gabe will do a lot of shouting when he first finds out that Brandon is now a member of the band.

Now to go past a link at The House.

Thanks Jan!!! I can't comment on the plot, but thanks!!!

The story is very good so far and I cant wait to see Brandon's reaction! Lol I already have my first suspect whos gonna cause problems for our band but I could be wrong just gotta wait and see!

Thanks Trevor!!

I, too, couldn't agree more with Rigel. I think it's a given that Brandon's gay, and that one of the brothers is gay - most likely Chase. I look forward to some very awkward dancing around the issue until Brandon and the gay brother manage to come out to each other after falling in love. There could be some very interesting and, hopefully, humorous rather than tragic scenes until they do come out. The s**t could really hit the fan, however, if/when they're relationship becomes public.

CJ, it's not up to me to tell you how to write your story, but I'm loving it so far. I would just hate to see it side-tracked by secret plots and nuclear bombs. You've already got a great start on a story without the need for espionage and intrigue, but knowing how you write, it will all come together in the end.

Thanks!!

One of the benefits of 3rd person is being able to do both; one storyline won't impact the other much, until much later on. At least, that what I'm trying to do. Ch 3 will be a good example, as it parts from both, even though mainly focusing on the goings-on with the band. :)

I'm going to agree with Rigel 100% here. I believe that Brandon was kicked out of his family, his band, and his life for the simple fact that he was gay. What other secret can usually evoke these responses from everybody to wards someone (except maybe if his parents found his secret Milli Vanilli CD collection) :D .

I also believe that Lump is the homophobe. With the brother's and their parents having a falling out, it is usually the parents and their generation that don't accept homosexuality, not the younger generation. Lump obviously saw the boys dad as being his ticket to have the money to buy the booze, drugs, and sex, so he would stick with their Dad. There was also a reference to the brothers waiting to see how Brandon would react to the family secret. How many homophobes keep their feelings sheltered and away from anyone who will listen? Whereas the opposite, telling one is gay is still very much a decision most people have to make on an individual basis after they learn a bit about other people.

My guess is that Chase is also gay, and Dan and Eric will stand by their brother. Chase's obvious hate of Lump being the strongest, leads me to think that he is the object of Lump's homophobia. Some of the things giving that away was Chase immediately taking off his shirt, and the way the Chase had to immediately get into the shower after the rehearsal. Both brothers seemed to know why Chase needed the shower so quickly and also knew his answer for letting Brandon join when Helen called.

One question for you CJ, you made reference to "Drumbeat" magazine that made Brandon uncomfortable when questioned about it when he didn't play drums, which Chase was also very excited with the prospect that maybe he did. You also made reference when Chase first took off his shirt that drummers did this because of the intense workout. So what is Drumbeat magazine? I'm expecting a magazine with pictures of hot drummers without their shirts on. :D

Steve

See, I totally agree with you here Steve... but one little change I would make is that Lump and Chase might have started something, and Lump backed out, turned him in to protect himself from his own father, or refused to support Chase when they both got outted... Hence why he fell to drugs and whatnot, as self medication for his guilt, remorse, and denial of his own truths... :thumbdown:

Edited by Aillie
BTW, for those unfamiliar with my other stories, I do put clues in my stories, often quite a few. But I give fair warning; there may be misdirections, too. :)

Listen up, goat-face, there better not be any misdirection when it comes to Brandon and Chase getting together. :angry:

It's a done deal! If it isn't, you'll rip my heart out. :( I've bonded already. :wub:

Conner

It wasn't much of a dinner, but it was all that he had, as often as not; a few slices of bread and some mustard. Brandon wolfed down the bread and mustard, hoping that, come Monday, he'd be able to afford some decent food, for a few meals at least.

This part brought me to tears. :(

I remember watching a movie with Kevin Costner where he and a young lad only had mustard sandwiches to eat. That was a sweet movie.

Btw, why do wolves get the credit for swallowing things almost whole??? Goats can do that. "Brandon goated down the bread and mustard..." I like it! :D

Conner

So... when do we get to hijack this thread and tie it to FTL's thread? :devil:

Cuz over there we now know Cj's real name and purpose, and to quote an "old rival"

"Dark side his ways have become, misdirection and lies are his weapons now." Or something like that. :)

Listen up, goat-face, there better not be any misdirection when it comes to Brandon and Chase getting together. :angry:

It's a done deal! If it isn't, you'll rip my heart out. :( I've bonded already. :wub:

Conner

Would *I* misdirect? 0:)

This part brought me to tears. :(

I remember watching a movie with Kevin Costner where he and a young lad only had mustard sandwiches to eat. That was a sweet movie.

Btw, why do wolves get the credit for swallowing things almost whole??? Goats can do that. "Brandon goated down the bread and mustard..." I like it! :D

Thanks Conner! Brandon's definitely living on the very edge, barely able to exist. The reasons for that will be told soon. :)

I can

Begin's chanting loudly... "PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3, PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3,PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3,PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3" ENDS RANT

Now give us part 3!!!!! <3

-LC

Welcome to the "Let the Music Play" Discussion thread.

Brandon's dreams had been crushed far too often for him to ever believe, especially in himself. Follow along as he experiances some massive changes in his life, along with a few bumps in the road, and a few high-pressure situations.

"Let the Music Play" is an action/adventure, with a touch of romance and humor, set against the background of the rock music industry.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

I also want to invite all forms of criticism: Don't be shy. If you feel more comfortable doing so you can PM me, but feel free to criticize in the thread. :music:

Thanks!

CJ

The "bombs" really troubled me as to what they are relating to the story, Brandon wiring bombs? Geiger counter? Then he is given his dream chance...oh by the way his parents probably threw him out because he wouldn't keep his room clean then outed his nasty ways

Edited by Benji
Begin's chanting loudly... "PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3, PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3,PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3,PART 3 PART 3 PART 3 PART 3, I NEED PART 3 RWARRRRRRRRR PART 3" ENDS RANT

Now give us part 3!!!!! <3

-LC

It will be along soon, but it's not back from my editor yet so I can't post. :)

BTW, thanks!!! :wub:

The "bombs" really troubled me as to what they are relating to the story, Brandon wiring bombs? Geiger counter? Then he is given his dream chance...oh by the way his parents probably threw him out because he wouldn't keep his room clean then outed his nasty ways

Hi Benji!

That was a prologue, and the "A few months hence" meant it's a few months into the story timeline.

It's not Brandon who is wiring the bombs; but that's a good on my part; I should have described the man in the lab gear a little better. I wanted to leave it vague, but not have Brandon as a possibility. I should have said "rubbed his hand across his balding head" or something, to make it clearer. The tech is one of the bad guys, but only a minor player.

It's a common technique in mainstream books to have the prologue be different, timewise, than the main story. Either some hisotry, or in some cases (like mine) a peek forward.

The reason I did the prologue is that, due to the way the story is written, we don't even get a peek at the bad guys until Chapter 3, and even then it's just a peek. So, I wanted to try and show that, while this is somethign of a band story, there is a lot more going on.

As for the geiger counter, he'd need one. :)

I strive for technical accuracy in the derails of my stories, so that bomb assembly is technically accurate, for that type of bomb. Kryton switches, for example, are very real. :) There is no online definition of these switches, but just doing a google search on the name (click here for search results) give you a good idea of exactly what kind of bombs these are. The sphere of high-explosive shaped-charges is another clue. It's a little vauge, as all i really wanted to convey was that the bad guys are building bombs. :nuke:

CJ :)

It's not Brandon who is wiring the bombs; but that's a good on my part; I should have described the man in the lab gear a little better. I wanted to leave it vague, but not have Brandon as a possibility. I should have said "rubbed his hand across his balding head" or something, to make it clearer. The tech is one of the bad guys, but only a minor player.

It's a common technique in mainstream books to have the prologue be different, timewise, than the main story. Either some hisotry, or in some cases (like mine) a peek forward.

I gotcha this time, CJ. :D hehehe You couldn't have said "rubbed his hand across his balding head" because the work he was doing took place in a clean room. In a clean room environment (intended to minimize or eliminate airborne particulates), personnel are gowned, head to toe, and, of course, wear non-shedding gloves, mask and headcover. hahaha

I feel good da da da da da da da Like you know that I would da da da da da da da :P

Furthermore, you have a prologue so that you'll mess up the efiction counting system again.

I feel good da da da da da da da Like you know that I would da da da da da da da :P

Conner

Edit: Btw, that was my best James Brown impersonation! Not bad, eh!

Edited by Conner
  • Site Administrator

CJ,

I finally figured out why there is a bomb in the prologue!!!

You have finally created a plot that you can use the seldom used :nuke: icon in your posts!!!

Steve :D

I gotcha this time, CJ. :D hehehe You couldn't have said "rubbed his hand across his balding head" because the work he was doing took place in a clean room. In a clean room environment (intended to minimize or eliminate airborne particulates), personnel are gowned, head to toe, and, of course, wear non-shedding gloves, mask and headcover. hahaha

Furthermore, you have a prologue so that you'll mess up the efiction counting system again.

Conner

Edit: Btw, that was my best James Brown impersonation! Not bad, eh!

You're right!!!! OK, I'll avoid editing that into the chapter. Maybe I'll allude to his age in some way.

CJ,

I finally figured out why there is a bomb in the prologue!!!

You have finally created a plot that you can use the seldom used :nuke: icon in your posts!!!

Steve :D

ROFL!!! That's a good point! I think I'll need a character named Jerry, too. :jerry:

Hmmmmmm.... :devil:

You're right!!!! OK, I'll avoid editing that into the chapter. Maybe I'll allude to his age in some way.

ROFL!!! That's a good point! I think I'll need a character named Jerry, too. :jerry:

Hmmmmmm.... :devil:

Don't know about anyone else, but a sign of age comes from arthritic movement from being hunched over tables too long, moving stifly because of joint locks and pain (one part exposure, one part age.)

:D

Sorry for the delay!

The next chapter of my other serial, "For the Love" will post Tuesday, and if I get the next chapter of LTMP back from proofreading in time, I'll see if I can get it online here by Thursday night.

CJ :)

Chapter 3 has been posted.

Sorry for the delay; I try to keep a weekly posting schedule, but life has been getting in the way this week.

CJ

WO.oT! Going to read it now! and Im first to respond... mwhahaha!

-----------------

Notes: Master, you're other lackies are lacking "his uinfuence to get"... Beta readers... yeash... :D

-----------------

Note on the story... there's sumthin' fishy about those shorts :evil: ... hmm, like maybe they shouldn't get wet or they'll disolve or something... hmmm... :wub:

Edited by Sith Aillie

Another great chapter CJ :2thumbs:

I love how they play mind games with Brandon, making him figure out which of them is gay, good touch!!

You answered a lot of my questions in this chapter, and i still can't wait to see the look on Brandon's bosses face when he finds out what happened ><

Now can i start ranting for chapter 4? Pretty please!!! :wub:

-LC

I knew I was going to love this story. The stage seems well set for Brandon and Chase. :wub:

I fully agree with LC on the teasing scenes. I had this silly-ass grin on my face throughout the whole chapter. :D So I'm most anxious to see how Brandon will do with gaydar test #2. I just know he's going to say Eric, if only for the fact that Jon needs to punk on Eric a bit. Also, it's too much fun for CJ to pass up. As well, my sense is that Brandon thinks Chase is a stud, but more importantly, a straight stud. Brandon's going to have a total meltdown when he learns it's Chase. He will try to cover up as best he can. I'm thinking the tight black swim suit may have a bigger role to play in chapter 4. B)

Hot tub scenes are just as good as pool parties. :2thumbs:

So once again we have a strong woman figure in the story who does the mother thing at the edge of the story. Interesting. Can't call it a pattern yet, but....I'm wondering what Sigmund would think. :P

The goat sub-group literary committee has ruled that the ending of this chapter does not constitute a cliffhanger.

Rule 224(2)(a)(viii) states that any ending that leaves the reader smiling cannot be a cliffhanger. :sheep:

Absolutely a delightful chapter, CJ. You know, it's nice reading a story where no one is being kidnapped, shot at or lunch for some desert vultures. It's coming, I know.

Conner

Chapter 3 has been posted.

Sorry for the delay; I try to keep a weekly posting schedule, but life has been getting in the way this week.

CJ

B) .......CJ, another great chapter! Very funny with the gaydar :wub: I think I could actually feel the heat from Brandon blushing!

• Site Administrator

Cj,

I have to admit that I was chuckling or outright laughing my way through the entire chapter!! :P Right from the start when they are putting Brandon in front of the mirror, to when he gets asked to guess who is gay in the hot tub, I was in stitches.

I don't know if you planned the chapter the way you did, but inserting the little segment on "The Scar" kinda had me laughing even more. But I'm sure we will find out in the future more about him, and what he has against Instinct or if it is or is not personal.

The thing I liked about the chapter the most is that I think a lot of people can relate to Brandon through out the chapter. The way he is among new friends, unsure if they will accept him. Then when they have no problem with him, it builds his confidence and he is ready to make decisions with his gaydar. Hilarious :worship: .

With the references between Betty and Helen, I'm wondering if Helen will have some traits of Betty. Will she start showing some feelings towards a guy in this story? Hmmm, maybe they will be towards Gabe since he really is the only other male character so far. B) .

Finally, loved the way you set up the end for Brandon to guess yet again wrong which brother is gay. We have Eric giving Brandon the lycra shorts, letting him use his shower, offering him clothes, and deciding what pictures of Chase to put on the cover of the magazine. The start of the next chapter should be as good as the start of this one!! At least Jon won't be the only one to be mistaken for being gay, and can enjoy in a little payback.

Steve

P.S. Hopefully there is more hot tub or pool parties in the future :D

Cj,

I have to admit that I was chuckling or outright laughing my way through the entire chapter!! :P Right from the start when they are putting Brandon in front of the mirror, to when he gets asked to guess who is gay in the hot tub, I was in stitches.

I don't know if you planned the chapter the way you did, but inserting the little segment on "The Scar" kinda had me laughing even more. But I'm sure we will find out in the future more about him, and what he has against Instinct or if it is or is not personal.

The thing I liked about the chapter the most is that I think a lot of people can relate to Brandon through out the chapter. The way he is among new friends, unsure if they will accept him. Then when they have no problem with him, it builds his confidence and he is ready to make decisions with his gaydar. Hilarious :worship: .

With the references between Betty and Helen, I'm wondering if Helen will have some traits of Betty. Will she start showing some feelings towards a guy in this story? Hmmm, maybe they will be towards Gabe since he really is the only other male character so far. B) .

Finally, loved the way you set up the end for Brandon to guess yet again wrong which brother is gay. We have Eric giving Brandon the lycra shorts, letting him use his shower, offering him clothes, and deciding what pictures of Chase to put on the cover of the magazine. The start of the next chapter should be as good as the start of this one!! At least Jon won't be the only one to be mistaken for being gay, and can enjoy in a little payback.

Steve

P.S. Hopefully there is more hot tub or pool parties in the future :D

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..