Is it possible to love more than one?

Tiger

Love for more than one  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible to love more than one person?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm unsure (please explain why)

To love more than one, to care for more than one, I totally believe that it is possible. I was in that situation once. And I know that I could have been with the both of them and I would have been more than happy. Yes, its difficult,, and most of the people will think it's strange and can't be possible.

• Site Administrator

Definitely, but you'll probably have to clarify what exactly you mean.

Taking the question literally, I currently love my wife and both of my sons -- that's three people to start with. The type of love is different between the three, but it's still love.

If you mean a romantic/sexual love, the answer is still yes. A lot of people do it, but serially. ie. The love one person and then later on, they'll love another. The love is never the same, but that doesn't mean one is inferior to the other -- they are just different because the people involved are different.

Love is made up of many things and the mix of those things varies depending on who you are loving. For example, I love both my boys, but what I love about them is different. I love one boy's enthusiasm and keen mind. I love the other boy's imagination and kind heart. Both boys have all four of those things that I love, but in different proportions. The love I have for them is equivalent, but it's not identical.

Just my views :D

Taking the question literally, I currently love my wife and both of my sons -- that's three people to start with. The type of love is different between the three, but it's still love.

If you mean a romantic/sexual love, the answer is still yes.

Yes, that is what I meant. I meant romantic love. B)

There's lots of ways to love more than one. Even if you're limiting it to romantic love, though, people have more than enough love to share with more than one person.

There's a place in my heart that is reserved for my OneTrueLove. He knows that he'll always be The One for me, and I know that I'll always be the same for him. I also know he loves several other people. There are people I could easily grow to love. None of that changes the fact that we are together and a couple if every way that's good and loving. :)

If you mean a romantic/sexual love, the answer is still yes. A lot of people do it, but serially. ie. The love one person and then later on, they'll love another. The love is never the same, but that doesn't mean one is inferior to the other -- they are just different because the people involved are different.

Love is made up of many things and the mix of those things varies depending on who you are loving. For example, I love both my boys, but what I love about them is different. I love one boy's enthusiasm and keen mind. I love the other boy's imagination and kind heart. Both boys have all four of those things that I love, but in different proportions. The love I have for them is equivalent, but it's not identical.

Graeme's post I'm inclined to agree with.

I certainly love many people in many different ways. I'm not romantically in love with anyone right now. I would only ever want to date and be with one person at a time romantically...but I'm sure it's quite possible to have a polyamorous relationship.

I would only ever want to date and be with one person at a time romantically...but I'm sure it's quite possible to have a polyamorous relationship.

I agree, Kevin. I think it's possible to be in love with more than one person at the same time --the problem is in the choosing... who will be best for you in the future, who will grow with you and commit to maintaining the relationship over time. Personally, I think some failed relationships are a matter of timing. The love may be there, but the togetherness is not.

I said 'I'm unsure.' I don't think you can fall in love with more than one person at the same time but i do think that you can fall in love with someone and then later on fall in love with another. For example if a relationship ends due to impracticalities (ie. long distance relationship) with no negative feelings towards the other person, then yes I believe that even if you enter into a loving relationship with another person that you can still love the first.

Whatever I had to say Graeme, you said it.

Yes, it is possible to love more than one people at the same time and it can be romantically as well. But one also needs to differentiate between love and infatuation as well. You can have multiple crushes too. And many young guys/gals confuse puppy dog love with real love (even though I do not know what 'real' love is... lol)

On that note, I prefer that I keep my romantic love confined to a single person at a time only. No polyamorous relationship for me for the same reason that James pointed out---->

I've got four cats but only one BF.

It's way less complicated that way.

Amen!

I agree, Kevin. I think it's possible to be in love with more than one person at the same time --the problem is in the choosing... who will be best for you in the future, who will grow with you and commit to maintaining the relationship over time. Personally, I think some failed relationships are a matter of timing. The love may be there, but the togetherness is not.

Amen to that!!!

I've got four cats but only one BF.

It's way less complicated that way.

LOL, but the question is, whose belly are you rubbing every night? :boy:

Well to put it one way, if I got into a relationship again, I'd fall in love. That doesn't mean I don't love my ex, it's just that well it ended real badly and I don't want to do that again, but it doesn't mean my love for him disappears, it just changed. I did have one friend who was in a three-way relationship and that seemed to work but times changed and they drifted apart. Now he has just one BF he met at school. Then I have a friend in an open-relationship and well that just seems way more complicated, because he likes to go on dates with other boys, so does his BF. I guess that can work and I try not to judge but it seems very complicated to me. :lol:

loving more than one person in a romantic way at the same time ? yes it is possible but I guess it's not thw same kind of love

I'm not saying that one will be loved more than the other , it would just be a different kind of love... equally powerful but just different

would i be able to love 2 different people at the same time equally in a relationship ? never say never but I highly doubt it in my case... i'll see what the future gas in store for me

Yes it is ! I can prove it :lol: . If you will live so long as myself, you will certainly have enough opportunities to check it :P .

And BTW, the contrary is also possible (to be loved by more than one) and even much more frequent :D .

loving more than one person in a romantic way at the same time ? yes it is possible but I guess it's not thw same kind of love

I'm not saying that one will be loved more than the other , it would just be a different kind of love... equally powerful but just different

would i be able to love 2 different people at the same time equally in a relationship ? never say never but I highly doubt it in my case... i'll see what the future gas in store for me

It would be indeed not the exact same love, but yes, you can love one for this and love the other for that, and still love them equally.

I trully believe that it can be done. two love 2 people at the same time and in those 2 cases love them enough that you can be in a relationship with two of them. The key is not to be feeling jealous or left out.

It would be indeed not the exact same love, but yes, you can love one for this and love the other for that, and still love them equally.

I trully believe that it can be done. two love 2 people at the same time and in those 2 cases love them enough that you can be in a relationship with two of them. The key is not to be feeling jealous or left out.

They say that communication is another key factor in such a relationship. Also, there has to be individual time devoted to each of your lovers. I've never been in that type of situation, but I have read about it. It takes a lot of work and communication.

As far as I'm concerned, you can love as many people as you can shake a stick at. The question is how far are you willing to take that love and many people you wish to do so with. You can certainly do that with multiple people (hence polygamy). Should you? If you are in a committed relationship with someone you already love, then absolutely not, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

I'm not sure if I've answered the question, but my brain has been turned to scat by Non-Linear Systems (upper level Physics)... I shoulda taken BioPhysics instead...