• 1 to 3 weeks
    • 1 to 6 months
    • 7 to 12 months
    • 1 to 6 years
    • 7 to 12 years
    • Longer then this list.

Duh! I looked at the ceiling, but was actually looking at the sky (G_d)... :P

Now back to topic, though...

Is it important to count the duration of your relationship? I mean, I feel that one can have a 3 week relationship and still experience what some do in a 3 year relationship...

What do you guys (and gals) feel?

I think quality of the years is a much more important consideration. What good is there in being in a relationship for 10-20 years if it is not a good relationship?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think quality of the years is a much more important consideration. What good is there in being in a relationship for 10-20 years if it is not a good relationship?

I was thinking the same thing. Reminded me of this--->

Don't see how many moments are there in your life, see how much life is there in each moment.

<_< ..........Mine has had it's rocky moments, as I'm sure all relationships do, you survive and go on.

Don't see how many moments are there in your life, see how much life is there in each moment.

That is definitely profound! I like the way you think, BK. :hug:

<_< ..........Mine has had it's rocky moments, as I'm sure all relationships do, you survive and go on.

I'm sure it has, but if you still love her, that is what's important. :)

;) .....Profound and very true

I think because it's so rare for a relationship to last so long, it does have some relevance. Of course, a relationship can last for 20 years and not be as healthy as one lasting for 2 years, but when you think about it... something must be working if it's lasted 20 years. On the outside it may not seem like the ideal situation, but for the people in it it could be the best relationship they've ever had. I know that I would definitely not stay in a relationship that long if I wasn't happy.

But I understand the argument--perhaps long relationships just last because of a feeling of being comfortable, where a shorter relationship could have much stronger feelings involved.

People change over time, and a lot can happen... fights, mood swings, big lifestyle changes... a whole list of things that affect the dynamics of a relationship that perhaps aren't applicable to a shorter relationship, though. For it to last in spite of all that, I think, deserves merit.

I think because it's so rare for a relationship to last so long, it does have some relevance. Of course, a relationship can last for 20 years and not be as healthy as one lasting for 2 years, but when you think about it... something must be working if it's lasted 20 years. On the outside it may not seem like the ideal situation, but for the people in it it could be the best relationship they've ever had. I know that I would definitely not stay in a relationship that long if I wasn't happy.

But I understand the argument--perhaps long relationships just last because of a feeling of being comfortable, where a shorter relationship could have much stronger feelings involved.

People change over time, and a lot can happen... fights, mood swings, big lifestyle changes... a whole list of things that affect the dynamics of a relationship that perhaps aren't applicable to a shorter relationship, though. For it to last in spite of all that, I think, deserves merit.

B) ........Everything you say is true, your are saged beyond your years

On the surface that may be true, but looks can be deceiving. My grandparents were together for over 50 years. There were times they could not even stand to be in the room. They also fought contantly. I think arguments are rare in good relationships. Some will say otherwise, but there are some who don't. Finding someone that compatible is a rarity in itself though.

On the surface that may be true, but looks can be deceiving. My grandparents were together for over 50 years. There were times they could not even stand to be in the room. They also fought contantly. I think arguments are rare in good relationships. Some will say otherwise, but there are some who don't. Finding someone that compatible is a rarity in itself though.

<_< ..........Arguments are rare in good relationships, but don't be fooled that they do not happen. The last one we had was a good 4 months ago, I know her meds were off and damned if she didn't keep pushing to start a fight.

<_< ..........Arguments are rare in good relationships, but don't be fooled that they do not happen. The last one we had was a good 4 months ago, I know her meds were off and damned if she didn't keep pushing to start a fight.

I mentioned the word, rare. I know arguments happen sometimes no matter what. :ph34r:

.... well, out of the couple of relationships I've had that have actually been made, um, I guess official boyfriend-boyfriend status-ified....

One very strong... well... he wasn't a boyfriend, but a very serious potential prospect who I was EXTREMELY interested in. We're still tight friends, and I love him very much. No you can't have his name, lol, just know that for me to say that if he were to suddenly have a change of heart and I were suddenly to be living where he was and things were just a weeeeee bit different... I'd marry him in a heartbeat. As it is, he'd be happier with somebody else and so would I. :D

Zach lasted a solid week, maybe a bit longer.

Rick lasted about a week.

Peter lasted about... well, if you count the official relationship part, then only about two days. Don't quote me on that though because it's been a while and I don't write these things down.

Can I include Jonathan here? No, he was never my boyfriend, but he was very well endowed, more fun to talk to and nicer than any of my boyfriends, and he also has kissed the best out of any boy I've ever played tonsil hockey with. I've done my fair share of tonsil hockey playing. (for future reference for those of you who may kiss me: don't like bird lips, don't tense your lips before they touch mine, don't immediately stick in your tongue, give me a good few seconds of lip before you do slip in the tongue, and always keep your tongue from touching anything past the bicuspids... hell I'll give you the first molar if it's just CRAZY, but that better not happen often) Also, since I'm already cheating by including him, I'm making this one only include the two minutes we made out in the bathroom. :)

Yeah I have really bad luck with relationships, hehe. It's okay though. I've kinda decided that with a lot of these things it's just not something that can be forced that way, and if we split there was probably a good reason. These reasons vary of course, but hehehe... let me list them just to make myself feel good.

Zach is a DOOFUS.

Rick is a JACKASS.

Peter is a DOUCHEBAG.

:D Okay so those aren't really the exact reasons, but believe me, they're close. The only one of these I'm still friends with is Zach, and that's more of an acquaintance. I sit beside him in history, but I have issues being friends with people like him. Don't think I'm being mean, because I'm NOT, and it's NOT actually a bad thing exactly, but he has a weird attitude and he acts in ways that I don't approve of... I can handle a lot, but he pushed me past my limit.

I'ma get away from this thread. It's making me angry.

Duh! I looked at the ceiling, but was actually looking at the sky (G_d)... :P

Now back to topic, though...

Is it important to count the duration of your relationship? I mean, I feel that one can have a 3 week relationship and still experience what some do in a 3 year relationship...

What do you guys (and gals) feel?

BK, you're jumping the gun! This is to be the thread that I'm about to post. So, stay on topic in this thread and go reply in the other thread that is connected to this, people. Thank you.

Who died and left you in charge of the Posting Police? confused.gif:P

Eh, no one died. But I'm am in charge of directing your posts about length and experience while in a relationship to the newest thread that I've had to post three days ahead of schedule.

:hug:

Eh, no one died. But I'm am in charge of directing your posts about length and experience while in a relationship to the newest thread that I've had to post three days ahead of schedule.

:hug:

I apologize for that, Rose... ;)0:)

Zach lasted a solid week, maybe a bit longer.

Rick lasted about a week.

Peter lasted about... well, if you count the official relationship part, then only about two days. Don't quote me on that though because it's been a while and I don't write these things down.

Zach is a DOOFUS.

Rick is a JACKASS.

Peter is a DOUCHEBAG.

Er...nice list? It sounds like you made some odd or bad choices, take your pick, and hopefully you learned what you prefer in a partner/lover/significant other half. Again, take your pick.

I apologize for that, Rose... ;)0:)

It's okay, BK. Sorry I took so long getting back to this, but it's been a hetic couple of days/weeks.

To sum up what I've seen, the average for the dating is some where between 5 weeks to 10 years. That's not bad actually, considering most relationships don't work out as well as we want them to.

• 1 year later...

My longest to date is just over 4 years, which ended last month. Before then I have been in relationships from anything from 6 months to one of two years. Still looking for one that will last the course!

Approaching forty years now...still working on making it better. See: The Loving Relationship.

in the play 1776, "Tom asks Adams "You must tell me how ... how do you do it?" with Ben peering to hear the answer ... and Tom with major grin!!!"

so it seems a vocal answer of embarrassing detail was being awaiting ...

now hearing that in the modern era - its like yaaa how did Cleo and Caesar get it on??

:2thumbs: