Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Let the Music Play, Chapter 39

Ok, my reasoning is that "yawl" (as it is pronounced) is a contraction of "you all". Last time I looked there's no "a" in "you", so therefor, as a contraction, the apostrophe goes between the words. That means it would have to go before, and not after, the a. :)

However, I have been looking into this, and the apostrophe placement does seen to be a polarizing issue in the South. :)

I don't know that it actually is a polarizing issue in the South. I very rarely see "y'all" in writing; have already seen it more in this forum than anywhere else. BTW, try typing both "y'all" and "ya'll" in a response in this forum and see which one is underlined as an incorrect spelling.

The rule as I remember it is that the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter(s) in a contraction. Therefore, the proper contraction of "you all" is "y'all". Not that we are necessarily talking about proper English. Anyone ever hear the Queen say "y'all"?

Cheerio, y'all.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WARNING: EMITS SHOWERS OF SPARKS AND LOUD REPORT; of course I confused it with rapport as well :wacko: damn homonyms :pissed:

Steve, I don't think report and rapport are either homonyms or homophones. They are neither spelled nor pronounced they same. Report has a short "e" sound in the first syllable and a pronounced "t" at the end. Rapport is one of those pesky French words and has a short "a" sound in the first syllable and a silent "t" at the end.

A 12 gauge shotgun may produce a report when fired. A shooting enthusiast may develop a rapport with his shotgun.

Don't worry... What could possibly go wrong? :music:

:wacko: ........Well if that isn't a loaded question!! Great chapter CJ I see you've already hinted at the cliffhanger in the next chapter!

I echo your sentiments Benji! In fact, I am declaring a mild cliffy. We do not know if the band will survive yet another hit attempt by Mario! The goat is so evil. We have no idea what is going to happen. Yet, he dares to accuse Shadowgod of being the King of Evil Cliffhangers. :rolleyes:

I echo your sentiments Benji! In fact, I am declaring a mild cliffy. We do not know if the band will survive yet another hit attempt by Mario! The goat is so evil. We have no idea what is going to happen. Yet, he dares to accuse Shadowgod of being the King of Evil Cliffhangers. :rolleyes:

Okay, I gotta ask,, where is the cliffhanger in that? Just because we don't know what will happen next doesn't mean that it's a cliffhanger! :P

anyhow,, good chapter CJ, I really liked it,, It seems like Instinct managed to convince at least one guy in the air force. And luck is on their side since it's a high grader...

About Jerry/the Scar, something tells me that he either got someone that finance him and to respond to, or he's working for someone else. Tho, I can be wrong. For sure, he's not completely who he seems to be, and he will keep on surprising us

Mario was about to go kill Instinct. That is the evil cliffhanger. It is not quite as evil as a couple chapters ago, but it is still an evil cliffhanger nonetheless! I suppose you don't consider 37 an evil cliffhanger either though. whack.gif

Actually, using "rapport" in place of "report" when referring to a loud noise is a fairly common mistake, especially since both words have the common French derivative meaning roughly "to bring back." A google search of the phrase "loud rapport" turns up 126 results, for example. ("Loud report" turns up 62,600 for comparison, with some youtube videos of bottle rockets on page 1, for the easily amused.) The other common "mistake" using the term report in this context is that it carries a strong connotation of either a sound prone to echo, or that it is referring to an echo in the first place. While it's not technically an error to use it to describe just any loud noise, chances are that there is a more accurate word for the situation if the author doesn't want to suggest that the noise is echoing.

Ok, my reasoning is that "yawl" (as it is pronounced) is a contraction of "you all". Last time I looked there's no "a" in "you", so therefor, as a contraction, the apostrophe goes between the words. That means it would have to go before, and not after, the a. :)

However, I have been looking into this, and the apostrophe placement does seen to be a polarizing issue in the South. :)

I do occasionally use "y'all" in spoken speech, even though I'm not from the south. :)

Goatboi...

It is a contraction of You All (in proper northern english), however in Texas (were real english is spoken) ya'll is a contraction of 'Ya-all'.

Example: "When I see ya, I'll let ya know."

Plural: "When I see ya'll, I'll let ya'll know."

(Ya: a term to define a particular person without using gender in the second hand, indicated and properly pronounced with a upward tilt/nod of the head also known as a 'chin nod')

So... all ya'll yankees need to get a Yankee-English dictionary!

This chapter was certainly written to set up future action but still interesting. I like the part where the kids find the body in the trash. Good work goat!

Now let's bring on the blood and guts!!

• Site Moderator

This is a good chapter. After giving us a couple of tense chapters, CJ gave use a breather before things start up again.

If this chapter had a cliffhanger ending, I didn't see it.

This is a good chapter. After giving us a couple of tense chapters, CJ gave use a breather before things start up again.

B) ..........Nope, there was no cliffhanger in this chapter, (he did use the word though :P ) He has set us up for a wild ride on the next chapter, and I predict it will end with at least two cliffhangers!! ;)

Mario was about to go kill Instinct. That is the evil cliffhanger. It is not quite as evil as a couple chapters ago, but it is still an evil cliffhanger nonetheless! I suppose you don't consider 37 an evil cliffhanger either though. whack.gif

Oh yes, Mario wants, he's been asked to killed instinct and Helen, But he's yet nowhere near where they reside, he has not prepared anything that could kill all of the in the first few paragraphs of the next chapter. Therefore there ain't anny evil cliffhanger. stop seeing evil cliffhanger everywhere. :P

Goatboi...

It is a contraction of You All (in proper northern english), however in Texas (were real english is spoken) ya'll is a contraction of 'Ya-all'.

Example: "When I see ya, I'll let ya know."

Plural: "When I see ya'll, I'll let ya'll know."

(Ya: a term to define a particular person without using gender in the second hand, indicated and properly pronounced with a upward tilt/nod of the head also known as a 'chin nod')

So... all ya'll yankees need to get a Yankee-English dictionary!

Come on lets not be to hard on Cj for his spelling of ya'all,

Please don't tell me you think Texas is the best state/ bragging :P

The goat just might wrap up mario and dimitri in the next one, or one hell of a cliffe.

I was wrong!

I made a rush to judgment about this chapter and I was flat-out wrong about it.

Granted it wasn't as exciting as some of the other chapters. But as of some of you all have pointed out we do need a break.

Also, when I re-read this chapter I did see there are a lot of loose ends that need some closure. CJ did a good job of summarizing them in this chapter.

This was not so much a cilffhanger as it was preparation for what's to come. As someone else mentioned I think we should hang-on because the next few chapters are probably going to be wild ride as this story comes to an end!

I was just kidding, but I do still find myself wanting more nonetheless. :P

I liked the chapter. One needs a breather once in a while :) And you have to come down after a "high" before you can climb up again (even higher ? :D ). So that chapter really is what is needed at this point in the story :worship::worship: .

The only sad thing about it is, that we come closer to the end of this wonderful story with every chapter ;) .

I liked the chapter. One needs a breather once in a while :) And you have to come down after a "high" before you can climb up again (even higher ? :D ). So that chapter really is what is needed at this point in the story :worship::worship: .

The only sad thing about it is, that we come closer to the end of this wonderful story with every chapter ;) .

:( ......Your right about that! I see maybe another 3 chapters!

:( ......Your right about that! I see maybe another 3 chapters!

I think CJames mentiones something about the last part being one big document that is beta-ed and edited at the moment and will probably end up being around 7 (????) more chapters when it is posted.. i hope i got that right, because it would mean that we can enjoy it a bit longer :)

I think CJames mentiones something about the last part being one big document that is beta-ed and edited at the moment and will probably end up being around 7 (????) more chapters when it is posted.. i hope i got that right, because it would mean that we can enjoy it a bit longer :)

B) ........One can hope, but the Scar is already roosting...no more travel for him!! That leaves Mario and Dimitri, who at last glance were still cleaning guns awaiting a long drive before them. The stage is set at the boys ranch for a showdown, and once the General figures this was an assassination attempt, I'm sure the Bands/Scar itineraries will be scrutinized. I see the end of this saga coming up! :(

• Site Moderator
I was just kidding, but I do still find myself wanting more nonetheless. :P

Can fault you there Tiger. Sometimes a chapter can leave you wanting more at that time, but we have to wait for it.

Can fault you there Tiger. Sometimes a chapter can leave you wanting more at that time, but we have to wait for it.

I always want more of this one. It's probably my favorite story in progress. :wub:

I always want more of this one. It's probably my favorite story in progress. :wub:

B) ........If anyone can develop "characters" it's the goat! The way the story started out from two different directions crossed over leaving one theme in its wake and converged again. I'm not sure if Scar has the starring role of the story or not, It was supposed to be Brandons take.

• Site Administrator

I'm going to go out on a limb here....

I predict that the next chapter is going to end with either Brandon or Chase being shot :o !!!!

I'm going to go out on a limb here....

I predict that the next chapter is going to end with either Brandon or Chase being shot :o !!!!

If you are correct, it's time to eat some roasted goat. hungry.gif

Edited by TL The Writing Tiger

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..