California Ban on Gay Marriage Overturned

dkstories

Get it from wherever you want, it's showing up all over the major news sights, but California's Supreme Court has overturned the ban on same-sex marriage that was passed during an election as Proposition 22.

Get it from wherever you want, it's showing up all over the major news sights, but California's Supreme Court has overturned the ban on same-sex marriage that was passed during an election as Proposition 22.

B) ..........As goes California so goes the nation??

This morning the California Supreme Court overturned the ban on gay marriage. As a result, California becomes the second state to authorize gay marriage. There is no appeal to their decision. However, a coalition of religious and social conservative groups is attempting to put a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage on the ballot in California. Recent polls have shown that a majority of Californians would vote against such a measure, but that's before any campaigning which unfortunately could change public opinion.

See the article at http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4859659. Some of the comments added show how homophobic and hateful and "do it only the way I think it should be!" some people are. Other comments show acceptance.

Colin B)

I proposed, the date is set for July 2nd, here in California. Invitations and registry will be up as soon as the details are worked out.

Congrats guys, I'm sooooooo happy to hear that!! :D

Greg

I proposed, the date is set for July 2nd, here in California. Invitations and registry will be up as soon as the details are worked out.

B) ...........Congrats!! I wonder how many more posts like this we will see now?

Well, that'll ruin my status of being the only married gay guy on GA. :P

Congrats!

Congrats, you two! That's wonderful! :hug:

That's fantastic!! Enjoy the party!! and HUGE CONGRATZzzz!!!! :D

It's really great news, a lot of people I know have been working really hard on this case for a very long time. It all started back in 2004 when SF Mayor Gavin Newsome decided to protest President Bush's promotion of a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage by throwing open the doors of city hall (in defiance of the law) to gay and lesbian couples. History has proven that he broke no law and in fact did the right thing.

And congrats DK!!! We expect pictures.

Edited by scoopny

Again congrats, I have read some of your stories and noted some of your high involvement in running GA. Again congratulations!

Well, that'll ruin my status of being the only married gay guy on GA. :P

Congrats!

Married at 22?!!! Though am expecting some of my friends to begin the whole engagment thing soon (and kids... :blink: ), but its still quite scary to me, reminds me I'm growing up.

Married at 22?!!! Though am expecting some of my friends to begin the whole engagment thing soon (and kids... :blink: ), but its still quite scary to me, reminds me I'm growing up.

<_< .......Big deal!! Wait when your kids start thinking about getting married, growing up is replaced by getting old.

<_< .......Big deal!! Wait when your kids start thinking about getting married, growing up is replaced by getting old.

:D yep alota life to live yet. i'm looking forward to it. :)

well that also depends on how old you were when you had those kiddos!!! DC will be 18 well before I'm 35 which will leave plenty of time to still "grow up" before my scheduled midlife crisis (and the subsuquent getting old)...

ps

congrats DK & Trebs

well that also depends on how old you were when you had those kiddos!!! DC will be 18 well before I'm 35 which will leave plenty of time to still "grow up" before my scheduled midlife crisis (and the subsuquent getting old)...

Talking about this reminds me of something my mum and I were talking about. She told me that when I turn 30, she will just be turning 45. So, yeah that freaked me out again, and made sure i have (adoption of surrogate)kids (once i get a hubby and all) later in my life.

-Jules

Talking about this reminds me of something my mum and I were talking about. She told me that when I turn 30, she will just be turning 45. So, yeah that freaked me out again, and made sure i have (adoption of surrogate)kids (once i get a hubby and all) later in my life.

-Jules

Lol, least she should see them grow up when there in their 20's.

and Congrats to Dk and Trebs.

Betting in some states there going to be try to pass anti gay marriage amendments.

Congrats!!! I'm very happy for both you guys and the state of California in general! Maybe more states might follow in suit? We can only hope...

This is great news in the gay community.

~Mikie

WOOO HOOOO!!

YAY for this great day and event! :D:2thumbs::great:

Of course California was probably always one of the most likely states to adopt gay marriage, but nevertheless it's thoroughly exciting and I really think it does highlight an inevitable trend which will eventually culminate in gay marriage being legal in all 50 states (though this may take generations).

Whoa! Oh my gosh! This is so wonderful and exciting!!!

:hug:

Congrats you guys! :D

This morning the California Supreme Court overturned the ban on gay marriage. As a result, California becomes the second state to authorize gay marriage. There is no appeal to their decision. However, a coalition of religious and social conservative groups is attempting to put a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage on the ballot in California. Recent polls have shown that a majority of Californians would vote against such a measure, but that's before any campaigning which unfortunately could change public opinion.

See the article at http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=4859659. Some of the comments added show how homophobic and hateful and "do it only the way I think it should be!" some people are. Other comments show acceptance.

Colin B)

**wonders if there are wedding bells in Colin and Doug's immediate future**

Probably shouldn't have said that though, no pressure :)

One of the reasons I've always regretted a lack of teen parenthood in my own past (yeah I know I shouldn't be making light of such things, but I've been wanting a child since I was in my mid teens and having an adult one before I properly hit middle age would have been a pretty cool thing!).

Congrats again to all Dan and Robert, all Californians, and the entire community as a whole! :D

-Kevin