Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

A contest... with a prize!

I was thinking that it might be fun to have a contest! Ok, this is based on Chapter 10 of Changing Lanes: "Dance with the Devil" and contains spoilers for that chapter, so if you haven't read it, please go no further. :)

OK, this contest is more of a creativity excercise. The prize? hmmmm. All I can offer is a pre-release look at a coming chapter.

Now, the contest! We'll have it in two parts. The winners of both get a sneak peek at a chapter, a few days before posting (when I have access to one a few days early, so it might not be the next chapter, though I do hope to have that ready in time for this).

Ok, enough bleating from me.

For the serious part, I'd like to see who can best guess the plot. I've been leaving clues for some of it.

So, what happens between Brandon and Eric? What's the fallout? And will they still have a wedding?

OK, now for the fun part, for bonus points! What's the best way of pinning the blame for the Brandon-Eric perhaps-slightly-tense ending on Shadowgod? You've already heard mine in the other thread: Brandon drinking bourbon is a main cause, and Shadowgod is the creator of bourbon (His story Shot of Bourbon). Oh, extra super bonus points if whatever you come up with works for other chapters too, and of course, even more it it aids in the noble goal of restoring him to his cliffhanging throne.

Doesn't this sound like fun?

Any questions?

CJ 0:)

I will go on record now to point out the obvious flaws and fallacies contained in this contest...

OK, now for the fun part, for bonus points! What's the best way of pinning the blame for the Brandon-Eric perhaps-slightly-tense ending on Shadowgod? You've already heard mine in the other thread: Brandon drinking bourbon is a main cause, and Shadowgod is the creator of bourbon (His story Shot of Bourbon). Oh, extra super bonus points if whatever you come up with works for other chapters too, and of course, even more it it aids in the noble goal of restoring him to his cliffhanging throne.

This is a trick by the goat... Brandon was not drinking bourbon, He was drinking whiskey. Jack Daniels if I remember correctly...

Jim took a few chugs from a bottle of Jack Daniels and handed it to Brandon. “Here, this should numb you a little,” Jim said, and Brandon took the bottle.

Ahh yes I did. :)

Anyhow we know Jack Daniels hails from Lynchburg Tennessee.

Bourbon only properly comes from Bourbon County Kentucky

Sorry goat you lose no pinning this one on me :P

I was thinking that it might be fun to have a contest! Ok, this is based on Chapter 10 of Changing Lanes: "Race with the Devil" and contains spoilers for that chapter, so if you haven't read it, please go no further. :)

The correct title of chapter 10 is "Dance with the Devil". It appears the esteemed goat has had a bit of Jack Daniels himself.

i-voted.gif

You are quite right, Steve. Bourbon comes only from Kentucky. Real whiskey comes from Tennessee:

Jack Daniels

George Dickel

Not to mention rum and liqueurs from Prichard's

Tennessee has a total of 38 distilleries and wineries.

i-voted.gif and was sober at the time.

• Site Administrator

Ah, I hate a corrupt contest, and nonfactual accusations :angry: .

So I will now throw a monkey wrench into some of what has been stated here :P .

First off, I don't mean to start an international war or sully the name of an American brand, but maybe there is a play on words with what is 'bottled' in Tennessee, and what is 'distilled' in Tennessee. Park outside a unnamed distillery in Tennessee and see if Semi-Tanker trucks are delivering stuff to the plant and check out the license plates of those said trucks :blink: .

Second, in case you haven't actually read the Wikipedia entry on Bourbon, you will see that it is named after the county in Kentucky, but nothing about it being created there, or being distilled there. It is actually made in up to 11 states and still carries the bourbon name. (noteworthy is that California is not one of the places :D ).

So let's have an honest contest here 0:) .

:D:lol::P

Oh, the plot, I have an idea or two.

Edited by wildone
First off, I don't mean to start an international war or sully the name of an American brand, but maybe there is a play on words with what is 'bottled' in Tennessee, and what is 'distilled' in Tennessee. Park outside a unnamed distillery in Tennessee and see if Semi-Tanker trucks are delivering stuff to the plant and check out the license plates of those said trucks :blink: .

What kind of war do you mean to start? Go ahead and name the distillery and tell us exactly what stuff was in the tankers. Jack Daniels and George Dickel are real functioning distilleries.

i-voted.gif

• Site Administrator
What kind of war do you mean to start? Go ahead and name the distillery and tell us exactly what stuff was in the tankers. Jack Daniels and George Dickel are real functioning distilleries.

i-voted.gif

Back in the late seventies (I cannot confirm if it still happens), JD contracted a Canadian distillery to help out with their production. Trucks of whiskey were made and trucked down to Lynchburg. A brother in law drove for two months on this route.

Jack Daniels indeed is a functioning distillery, but at times I do believe some of their product is not 'made' on site.

• Site Administrator
For the serious part, I'd like to see who can best guess the plot. I've been leaving clues for some of it.

So, what happens between Brandon and Eric? What's the fallout? And will they still have a wedding?

1. Not much more than what has already happened.

2. Brandon stops Eric before anything else when he reveals a secret to Eric, before the bikers find them.

3. No

There :P

Edited by wildone
I will go on record now to point out the obvious flaws and fallacies contained in this contest...

This is a trick by the goat... Brandon was not drinking bourbon, He was drinking whiskey. Jack Daniels if I remember correctly...

Ahh yes I did. :)

Sorry goat you lose no pinning this one on me :P

Grumble grumble... Well, you were right on JD not being bourbob, so I had to change that in the chapter to whiskey, but it's not where it comes from that dictates the name, otherwise there would be no such thing as California Champaign (flames coming from Bondwriter in 3... 2... 1...) :lol:

It's the process, not the location, but you're (I cringe to admit this) right that Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

OK, now, for the readers, this makes the "how to pin the Brandon-Eric problem on shadowgod" issue even more critical. Bikers are a part of the problem, and when one thinks motorcycles, one thinks shadowgod. Or... Hrmmm.. There must be stronger links that that, so please find them!~ :)

The correct title of chapter 10 is "Dance with the Devil". It appears the esteemed goat has had a bit of Jack Daniels himself.

i-voted.gif

You're right! OOps! Fixed now. Thanks! :)

Ah, I hate a corrupt contest, and nonfactual accusations :angry: .

So I will now throw a monkey wrench into some of what has been stated here :P .

Second, in case you haven't actually read the Wikipedia entry on Bourbon, you will see that it is named after the county in Kentucky, but nothing about it being created there, or being distilled there. It is actually made in up to 11 states and still carries the bourbon name. (noteworthy is that California is not one of the places :D ).

So let's have an honest contest here 0:) .

:D:lol::P

Oh, the plot, I have an idea or two.

Uhoh, a whiskey-bourbon war! :)

I don't know if this is the case with whiskey, but I can say that re-labeling is very common for some things. For example, the wine industry. I know of several "Wineries" that produce exactly none of their wine. It's all brought in from other sources.

Uhoh, a whiskey-bourbon war! :)

I don't know if this is the case with whiskey, but I can say that re-labeling is very common for some things. For example, the wine industry. I know of several "Wineries" that produce exactly none of their wine. It's all brought in from other sources.

That's Scandalous CJ tell us more about you wine bootlegging connections, hmmm! :o:o :o

now back to the contest. I need to re-read your story a bit more. However, I can bet you my favorite goat that the Wedding will take place; perhaps not as people had expected it, but it will happen.

Edited by W.L.
Grumble grumble... Well, you were right on JD not being bourbob, so I had to change that in the chapter to whiskey, but it's not where it comes from that dictates the name, otherwise there would be no such thing as California Champaign (flames coming from Bondwriter in 3... 2... 1...) :lol:

It's the process, not the location, but you're (I cringe to admit this) right that Jack Daniels is not bourbon.

I stand by my assertion, Champaign only comes from the champaign region of France, the same bubbly concoction from elsewhere is merely sparkling white wine... Same too hails true for Dijon mustard. If it doesnt come from Dijon its not Dijon mustard.

Just because a handful of distilleries outside of Bourbon county claim to produce bourbon... it is not bourbon.

As for the motorcycle connection.

HA we both know I would never have anything to do with a Harley.

Too many Doctor and Lawyer types being weekend rebels on those things. Plus, I dunno the whole thought of their multi-billion dollar merchandising campaign. Can one really be a rebel when their logo is emblazoned on a onesie? I Think NOT

I stand by my assertion, Champaign only comes from the champaign region of France, the same bubbly concoction from elsewhere is merely sparkling white wine... Same too hails true for Dijon mustard. If it doesnt come from Dijon its not Dijon mustard.

Just because a handful of distilleries outside of Bourbon county claim to produce bourbon... it is not bourbon.

As for the motorcycle connection.

HA we both know I would never have anything to do with a Harley.

Too many Doctor and Lawyer types being weekend rebels on those things. Plus, I dunno the whole thought of their multi-billion dollar merchandising campaign. Can one really be a rebel when their logo is emblazoned on a onesie? I Think NOT

Ahhh, but lest we forget: On Balckheart's (Blackheart being one of your many names) wild ride up a certain Honolulu mountain, while trying to catch Chris and Steve, there were two flanking bikers on Harleys. That, of course, was the first appearance of harleys, or motorcycles, in any of my stories, so of course it all traces back to you...

(My sincere thanks to the person who PM'd me with this connection!)

Oh, and Shadowyness, There are a great many california champaignes, Korbel for one. And the best Dijon mustard I've ever had is from Germany. :P

Oh and W.L, I have no bootlegging connections, :P , but I have been to Wineries in Italy, about a year ago, and seen them doing exactly what I describe. This is quite common. :P

CJ :P

Ahhh, but lest we forget: On Balckheart's (Blackheart being one of your many names) wild ride up a certain Honolulu mountain, while trying to catch Chris and Steve, there were two flanking bikers on Harleys. That, of course, was the first appearance of harleys, or motorcycles, in any of my stories, so of course it all traces back to you...

(My sincere thanks to the person who PM'd me with this connection!)

Oh, and Shadowyness, There are a great many california champaignes, Korbel for one. And the best Dijon mustard I've ever had is from Germany. :P

Oh and W.L, I have no bootlegging connections, :P , but I have been to Wineries in Italy, about a year ago, and seen them doing exactly what I describe. This is quite common. :P

CJ :P

how threatening is a lawyer and an accountant riding up the side of a mountain? Not very. I submit that they in fact where not in pursuit of our heroes... (who via their scooter where in fact the first appearance of any bike in any of CJ's Stories, and therefore of his own doing and not mine)

Sorry intrepid pm'er you had you facts a little wrangled... Go check FtL and get back to us with your conclusion.

:)

OH and check your California champagne label again.. I bet you it says California Sparkling white wine :)

Well, as long as you don't spell it "champagne", then there's no issue. And I'm not sure the California vineyards do not produce quality sparkling wine, since they manage quite well in the wine area in general.

As for other liquor, I thought whisky came from Scotland anyway.

• Site Administrator

Steve, it might say Methode Champenoise, which is what several of the Australian sparkling wine manufacturers have done to get around the restriction on the term Champagne. However, I've just read that this term is outlawed in Europe, so the European labels are probably different. The term is not, to the best of my knowledge, outlawed in Australia, but we respect the view that it should not be labelled 'Champagne'.

While the European Union has gone overboard at times with their restrictions on items with a geographically based name, I understand and support the basic principle. If someone buys a French wine, they expect it to be French. If someone buys a Burgundy, there's a reasonable expectation that it comes from Burgundy. Where the idea falls down is where the geographical name is so wide spread that it's treated as the generic name for the product (such as champagne).

However, I don't believe the USA has tried to do the same thing with Bourbon. Since I suspect the majority of people don't associate the drink with the county, trying to say it is not really bourbon if it doesn't come from the county is unnecessarily anal :P

Usually with a trophy wife in the sidecar. :D

iVotedFreedom.gif

haha!

Those poor trophy wives.

By the way, here is some interesting things that I can tell so far; I do not think Eric and Brandon will have sex (I still think that CJ has a heart not to hurt our favorite relationship and it is just not your style to force sex on characters; I do not know if you write on nifty though, hehe! ), but the kiss and close skin contact will be something that Chase discovers sooner or later. The scene is not going to fade away, but they can survive this road block in their relationship. A wedding will occur, perhaps not the first run through, because drama and other things will interrupt it.

There is going to be a double cross by Scar, when the General tries to rescue his son somewhere down the road. I also expect the plot lines for Keith and Hansen will play an important role in the future. I saw that hint about Jansen doing some type of acting lessons, so I expect some of that stuff will be used later in the plot.

Now for Shadey, hehe!

Easiest way to blame this on our favorite "shady one" is so simple CJ, add him into the story as Eric's wild and loose boyfriend, then you could get a meta-fictional accusation of blaming Shadowgod and be right all the time about the storyline.

Now everyone is looking at me like I have gone crazy, but I think Shady would be good love interest for Eric. You already want to be with him, since you guys "kinda" met during Worlds collide, so why not go the whole nine yards.

Edited by W.L.
However, I don't believe the USA has tried to do the same thing with Bourbon. Since I suspect the majority of people don't associate the drink with the county, trying to say it is not really bourbon if it doesn't come from the county is unnecessarily anal :P

Sok :P I can deal with being unnecessarily anal :D

However he already relented and opted for whisky over bourbon, so it may be a moot point anyhow :lol:

might I inquire as to what bourbob is? :wacko:

:ph34r:

Now for Shadey, hehe!

Easiest way to blame this on our favorite "shady one" is so simple CJ, add him into the story as Eric's wild and loose boyfriend, then you could get a meta-fictional accusation of blaming Shadowgod and be right all the time about the storyline.

Now everyone is looking at me like I have gone crazy, but I think Shady would be good love interest for Eric. You already want to be with him, since you guys "kinda" met during Worlds collide, so why not go the whole nine yards.

I think W.L. has your solution for you CJ. :P I wouldn't mind seeing this interesting option put to use. LoL I must not be fully awake yet what is Worlds collide? :funny:

• Site Moderator
I think W.L. has your solution for you CJ. :P I wouldn't mind seeing this interesting option put to use. LoL I must not be fully awake yet what is Worlds collide? :funny:

Apparently, you've not read chapter 34 of Let The Music Play or you wouldn't be asking that question. To say anything more could be a spoiler for you.

haha!

Those poor trophy wives.

By the way, here is some interesting things that I can tell so far; I do not think Eric and Brandon will have sex (I still think that CJ has a heart not to hurt our favorite relationship and it is just not your style to force sex on characters; I do not know if you write on nifty though, hehe! ), but the kiss and close skin contact will be something that Chase discovers sooner or later. The scene is not going to fade away, but they can survive this road block in their relationship. A wedding will occur, perhaps not the first run through, because drama and other things will interrupt it.

There is going to be a double cross by Scar, when the General tries to rescue his son somewhere down the road. I also expect the plot lines for Keith and Hansen will play an important role in the future. I saw that hint about Jansen doing some type of acting lessons, so I expect some of that stuff will be used later in the plot.

Now for Shadey, hehe!

Hrmmm... Well, do recall that the Shady 1 has already added himself to the story, by riding his motorcycle, hell-for-leather, like hell on wheels, in front of Eric (and thus causing Eric's motorcycle acquisition). So... Maybe he will re-encounter Eric, and wreak more of his Evil influences. He's already to blame for Eric being on a motorcycle, and any consequences that might wreak.

might I inquire as to what bourbob is? :wacko:

OOPS! :*) LOL!

Apparently, you've not read chapter 34 of Let The Music Play or you wouldn't be asking that question. To say anything more could be a spoiler for you.

Back when the chapters were nearing their simultaneous release, I appealed for, and received, a special dispensation from our anti-spoiler Echida, Graeme, to go a little further...

Shadowgod and I released the chapters, both entitled "when worlds collide", simultaneously. The whole thing was Shadowgod's idea, and I fully supported it. It was also great fun. :)

Basically, what we did was have his character, Cody, from Dreams and Clipped Wings, in a scene with my characters. Shadowgod's chapter is focused more on Cody's point of view and mine on Instinct's, but the trick was to have each set of characters be logical and self-supporting in the other story. So, if you read LTMP and not DnCW, Cody still makes sense, and if you read DnCW and not LTMP, Instinct still makes sense.

It was fun. I also learned something: writing someone else's character is HARD! For me anyway, it certainly is. I had to write Cody';s part in my LTMP chapter, and I didn't get him right. (Shadowgod fixed that, though.). It was quite a surprise; I'd never realized how much I depend on getting "in the head" of my characters, and I found I couldn't do it well with someone else's. I sure couldn't get the speech patterns right, either. In fanfiction, it's common to use another author's characters, but I don' think I could ever manage that.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..