Open Club  ·  74 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes, Chapter 20

MikeL

Cliff James has released Chapter 20 of Changing Lanes. The chapter title is "Explanations".

Explanations? Well, we will see if the goat has explained more than the new questions he raises.

"Explanation separates us from astonishment, which is the only gateway to the incomprehensible." - Eugene Ionesco

It seems to me that the goat is up to a few things here.... BUT

I'm gonna wait till there's more responses here before saying anything like how much this is a cliffie! AGAIN!

(Though not as bad as the previous chapter :P )

Lemons? We'll have to give that some thought. Lemons aren't exactly a high-tech weapons system. 100px-Lemon.jpg

And the volcano is suddenly much more than the non-cliffhanger the goat insists it is. The LA earthquake is still out there as an unresolved matter (i.e., cliffhanger).

Good chapter, Cliff.

Edited by MikeL

Hmmmm...

I wonder... could the earthquake in Cali be related in some way to the one on the islands? Also... does Eric know about the earthquake and what is he gonna do when he finds out?

And yes... good chapter Goat... still evil though :P

Hmmmm...

I wonder... could the earthquake in Cali be related in some way to the one on the islands? Also... does Eric know about the earthquake and what is he gonna do when he finds out?

And yes... good chapter Goat... still evil though :P

B) ................Volcano, earthquakes.......but the real mystery is lemons!!! :wacko:

Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet.

But the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat.

180px-Lemon_tree_Berkeley.JPG

General Bradson is going to use chlorine, sulfur, and ammonia to cause the Revolutionary Guards to panic. I get it that the three chemicals are rather acrid - though not normally lethal - and would panic someone sitting on top of a pile of chemical weapons. Lemons also have a strong, bitter taste, but are much less likely to cause a panic. Maybe he is going to drop the three tons of lemons so the Iranians can make lemonade. Or, they are supposed to remind the enemy of his poor defenses and training...a real lemon.

Any other ideas about the use of lemons in combat?

Edited by MikeL

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU for the comments. :)

I can say, without fear of the Echidna (due to this being a scientific fact) that the earthquake in California has nothing to do with the volcanic activity in La Palma. :)

Ahh, yes, the lemons. :)

Well, chlorine, sulfur, and ammonia produce chlorine gas, which is lethal in large doses. It also will set of chemical warfare detectors. :)

But.. the lemons... I hope the Echidna doesn't see this, but... one possibility is, The General plans on opening a lemonade stand, and while all the Iranians are attending the grand opening, he sneaks in to do the mission... 0:)

BTW, just for some fun, to see what the general is up against, take a look at Operation Eagle Claw. That was the abortive mission to rescue the US hostages in 1980. (the disaster at Desert One). The linked page describes the plans for the rest of the mission as well.

Very interesting reading. It also helps show what General Bradson is up against. And part of his answer: lemons.

:)

Just a quick note to say THANK YOU for the comments. :)

I can say, without fear of the Echidna (due to this being a scientific fact) that the earthquake in California has nothing to do with the volcanic activity in La Palma. :)

Ahh, yes, the lemons. :)

Well, chlorine, sulfur, and ammonia produce chlorine gas, which is lethal in large doses. It also will set of chemical warfare detectors. :)

But.. the lemons... I hope the Echidna doesn't see this, but... one possibility is, The General plans on opening a lemonade stand, and while all the Iranians are attending the grand opening, he sneaks in to do the mission... 0:)

BTW, just for some fun, to see what the general is up against, take a look at Operation Eagle Claw. That was the abortive mission to rescue the US hostages in 1980. (the disaster at Desert One). The linked page describes the plans for the rest of the mission as well.

Very interesting reading. It also helps show what General Bradson is up against. And part of his answer: lemons.

:)

Either this is a typo or your chemistry really sucks. That should be chloramine gas.

Love ya anyway, CJ. Great chapter! :worship::worship:

That makes 20 consecutive chapters without a single cliffhanger. :D

Conner

Edited by Conner
Either this a typo or your chemistry really sucks.

Cpnner

B) .........Me thinks the goat is waiting til after the voting, before resuming the cliffhangers!! :lol:

• Site Moderator

I think what the General is planning to do is have the chlorine, sulfur, and ammonia injected into the lemons and then have them dropped on the base. As the lemons hit the ground and bust open, the chemicals will then mix, forming the cloud that he wants. Besides making lemonade upon impact.

I think that eventually, providing everyone survives, Eric and Jansen will hook up.

Either this is a typo or your chemistry really sucks. That should be chloramine gas.

Conner

My sincere thanks on the cliffhanger-free declaration! :worship:

However, I'm afraid that I'm confused chemical matters here...

When you mix bleach (chlorine) with ammonia, here's what happens.

2(parts)NaOCl + 2NH3 --> 2NaONH3 + Cl2.

The CL2 is chlorine gas. Isn't it?

Don't you need a little alkalinity to free up the nitrogen needed to make Chloramine rather than chlorine gas?

I do know that mixing chlorine and ammonia in a negative PH environment would produce chlorine gas for sure. The question is, what would the PH of Chlorine, Sulfur, and Ammonia be? Maybe I need to add another chemical to the mix?

Chlorine gas, BTW, was used as a war gas in WWI.

The Chlorine-ammonia reaction is interesting... if you add more bleach than ammonia, you also get nitrogen trichloride... kaboom! :)

Alter the mix the other way, and you get some Hydrazine... nasty stuff. :)

I'm off to do some research! Any and all input would be very much appreciated.

• Site Administrator

I knew they had nothing to do with each other. They are on completely different tectonic plates....

I believe lemons are used in middle eastern cooking, so my theory is that the general injects each of the lemons with Tequila and then sells them to the Iranians (for a tidy profit). I just haven't worked out how he'll stop the alcohol from evaporating during the cooking process. Maybe he'll be hiring himself on as the new chef... with the rest of the mercanaries going along to kidnap the existing chef.

Definitely another good chapter. I do hope Jansen and Eric hook up :wub: . Hope everyone survives their various situations as well, it'd be pure evil to be killing em all off. I think Brian and Keithers would be good for each other too :wub: That way everyone ends up happy ever after. Least we don't have nuclear warheads involved (yet)

Not such a cliffhanger after all. I'm sure the boys and Jim and his wife will escape the island before the volcano erupts, which'll put a screwball in Eric's wedding plans for Brandon and Chase, but oh well. They shoulda gone to England instead. :)

Thanks for the wonderful chapter,

Jon

I think eric better plan for like 3 private jets to lift off at any time.

Can you imagine the island authorities in the state of panic?

Good question will everything happen without the volcano raining down ashes?

Eric better invite Tom Hanks as the official sacrifice or if not maybe better catch that Goat and make a sacrifice to the volcano gods?

I bet Eric papa gonna spank him after scaring his mama.

I think CJames has a hidden conspiracy here!!

Volcano eruption , earthquake, ranch for sale ... It sounds like he's gonna move the boys back to mama house??

or worst Brandon parents place.

I doubt that the boys want to be any near that shoots or shakes in the next 48 hours.

• Site Moderator
I think eric better plan for like 3 private jets to lift off at any time.

Can you imagine the island authorities in the state of panic?

I don't think there would be any guarantee that Eric and party would get off the island. Panicked people will do about anything to get away, including hi-jacking private planes.

• Site Moderator
Shhhhh, don't give him anymore horrible ideas :ph34r::angry::D

I think he's already thought about it. The guy's are currently on the west side and the airport is on the east side. And which way is the wind blowing? If they have to evacuate the island, I don't think any one will be going by plane.

I think he's already thought about it. The guy's are currently on the west side and the airport is on the east side. And which way is the wind blowing? If they have to evacuate the island, I don't think any one will be going by plane.

If they go by boat, they risk being capsized by a tsunami.

B) .......Actaully that would depend on which side of the island they depart from

I was assuming they couldn't get across or around the volcano to get to the airport. Actually, either side of the volcano could blow away in a big St. Helens style collapse. A tsunami could travel almost any direction from the island.

I was assuming they couldn't get across or around the volcano to get to the airport. Actually, either side of the volcano could blow away in a big St. Helens style collapse. A tsunami could travel almost any direction from the island.

B) .......True, but if the eruption is less severe than implied, the island would buffer the effect quite well

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..