Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

Changing Lanes, Chapter 22

I must rise to the defense of the Goat (having arranged for him to be shot, stuffed, and mounted in another story).

The term "cliff hanger" is customarily used metaphorically, for ending a chapter on a suspenseful note.

Clearly, in this case the Goat has not included a traditional metaphorical cliff hanger. His is literal: Wikipedia on Cumbre Vieja

I must rise to the defense of the Goat (having arranged for him to be shot, stuffed, and mounted in another story).

Just wanted to commend you for using stuffed and mounted in that order. :P

• Site Administrator

Hey CJ, thanks for the chapter filled with multiple cliffhangers :wacko: .

A couple of questions and comments:

What was the package that The Scar had picked up by one of the Hercs in Malta???

Horst mentions that Felicia only states the glaring obvious when extremely stressed. This was just a landing on a remote strip in the desert, and she is that stressed. I'm beginning to wonder if Felicia is going to be the weak link in the operation.

Flight One is obviously only going to be piloted by one guy, not a trained pilot, and he is going to be carrying grenade laden mayonnaise jars and lemons, garage door openers and laptops with GPS programs, and three dead bodies. Also the General makes note that the plane will not have to worry about landing (does this mean crashing?) to Bill. I don't really see how Bill would be able to fly the plane, operate the garage door openers to deflect radar, drop jars of grenades and lemons, and then crash the plane for the Iranians to find 3 dead bodies on it, oh and for Bill to escape.

What exactly are fuel bladders that are on Flight Two?

Okay, enough about the bad guys story.

With the boys current predicament, I would say that CJ has set up for a perfect disaster. I would guess an earthquake has happened off shore from La Palma, thus forcing the magma up and out of the top of the volcano, and the offshore epicenter will result in a Tsunami hitting the shore that everyone is gathered on for the wedding. If CJ wants to be really mean, he'll have the side of the island collapse and resulting in another tsunami racing towards the Eastern seaboard of the US.

The only hope I think everyone has is if Jane musters one of her cold stares that she uses on her husband to cool everything down on the island :D .

With the chapter title name, I'm wondering if CJ is going to eliminate everyone. But on the other hand, I'll be pessimistic and say that the legend of only two surviving amidst the total elimination and destruction is probably General Bradson and his son when the are the only ones to escape from the mission and The Scars' plan falls completely apart.

Thanks again CJ,

Steve

*sneaks away from my anatomy homework*

I feel really bad for Brandon and Chase. Poor guys! What an end to their wedding. Hopefully (all tsunamis/earthquakes/volcanoes aside) they can look back at the experience with a sense of humor.

Thanks for another great chapter CJ!

Hey CJ, thanks for the chapter filled with multiple cliffhangers :wacko: .

A couple of questions and comments:

What was the package that The Scar had picked up by one of the Hercs in Malta???

Horst mentions that Felicia only states the glaring obvious when extremely stressed. This was just a landing on a remote strip in the desert, and she is that stressed. I'm beginning to wonder if Felicia is going to be the weak link in the operation.

Flight One is obviously only going to be piloted by one guy, not a trained pilot, and he is going to be carrying grenade laden mayonnaise jars and lemons, garage door openers and laptops with GPS programs, and three dead bodies. Also the General makes note that the plane will not have to worry about landing (does this mean crashing?) to Bill. I don't really see how Bill would be able to fly the plane, operate the garage door openers to deflect radar, drop jars of grenades and lemons, and then crash the plane for the Iranians to find 3 dead bodies on it, oh and for Bill to escape.

What exactly are fuel bladders that are on Flight Two?

Okay, enough about the bad guys story.

With the boys current predicament, I would say that CJ has set up for a perfect disaster. I would guess an earthquake has happened off shore from La Palma, thus forcing the magma up and out of the top of the volcano, and the offshore epicenter will result in a Tsunami hitting the shore that everyone is gathered on for the wedding. If CJ wants to be really mean, he'll have the side of the island collapse and resulting in another tsunami racing towards the Eastern seaboard of the US.

The only hope I think everyone has is if Jane musters one of her cold stares that she uses on her husband to cool everything down on the island :D .

With the chapter title name, I'm wondering if CJ is going to eliminate everyone. But on the other hand, I'll be pessimistic and say that the legend of only two surviving amidst the total elimination and destruction is probably General Bradson and his son when the are the only ones to escape from the mission and The Scars' plan falls completely apart.

Thanks again CJ,

Steve

Cliffhangers?!?!!? What cliffhangers?!?!? So I had some dancing at a wedding (last line of the chapter). That's normal, right?

The package from Malta is the one from Bill (The General's friend in the NSA, he's in some early chapters). Bill sent it to Malta, where the Scar sent the Herc to pick it up. Here's the bit that describes most of the contents,

Bill
  • Site Administrator
Cliffhangers?!?!!? What cliffhangers?!?!? So I had some dancing at a wedding (last line of the chapter). That's normal, right?

I've been to a few weddings, and even participated in one myself, and I think I can say that dancing at weddings is very unusual. I've never been to one that had dancing.

The reception after the wedding is a different story -- I think they've all had dancing -- but, no, it's not normal to have dancing at a wedding.

Cliffhanger? Of course not. They are already below the cliff. There's nothing to hang on to.

I think the whole wedding party is going to get an impromptu bath and then run for saftey (or towels.)

The general seems to be staging some kind of plane accident probably to divert attention from his target.

The General is indeed creating a diversion, that is part of his ploy in the rescue mission. The prompting question is are the Iranian soldiers are informed, equipped and loyal? They are guarding a bio dump site, should the alarm be raised that the agent is on the loose, how many will bother to get into protective gear? Most likely the General has ascertained they will not, and hightail it out of there including the guards at the make-shift prison his son is being held in. The General is counting on this for surprise and advantage to get in and out before a counterstrike is launched against the rescue team.

• Site Administrator

Hmmmm

So CJ writes about the resort like he maybe has been there.

Then he posts the KMZ file of the beach and lets us know where the resort is supposedly (uses some legalise to scare us from thinking he has actually been there).

So I go on Google earth and guess who has posted multiple pictures of said resort....GASP.....Benji. :o:o:o:o:o Don't believe me? Click on the link and see the pictures of the resort and who the photographer was :P .

CBOATS, you have just been totally exposed :lol: !!!!

• Site Administrator

Just also realized that your Avatar is a smiley with a halo, any coincidence that CJ uses a smiley with a halo in his posts when he may not be telling the whole truth :lol:

ROFL!!!

Yes, I have been to La Palma. Trouble is, I was very young at the time and barely remember it. It was just a day excursion from a neighboring island, and I vaugely remember visiting the water tunnels in the north of La Palma. I have no idea if I was in the area of that resort, and if I was, it was likly before it was built. I don't think I've been on that beach.

But ROFL, I never noticed that there was a photo posted by "Benji"! And I had looked at that photo before, too.

Some great speculation upthread. :)

BTW, sorry to do this, but it is looking like we will likely have a posting delay of a day or two. I have been horribly late, again, and also I need to mesh parts of the chapter with some scenes I haven't written yet. I need to make sure everything matches up. :)

Well, at least we are in a nice, restful spot in the story in which to relax and enjouy this very brief pause.

Oh, BTW, the name of the chapter is Unseen Eyes. :)

If you call that restful, I'd hate to see what you call tense.

CJ's definition of "tense" is obviously, "triangular canvas temporary dwellings in which one can get a restful sleep." (See TalonRider's post elsewhere.)

• Site Administrator

Since we have some time for some more speculation, I was wondering, does the loading of Flight One and Two have any indication of what happens? Also a bit of confusion in what is where?

From the text, Flight One has twenty nine crates of lemons in the forward part of the cargo hold, behind it and to the rear is six pallets. There really is not indication on what these six pallets contain. One would make the assumption that it is the two pallets of grenades in mayonnaise jars, but what is in the other four? Oh, almost forgot the cadavers.

Flight Two contains the 300 chemical mayonnaise jars, or does it? It is mentioned that they are loaded onto Flight Two, but then later it says the only cargo on Flight Two is the fuel bladders.

Now Flight Three is another big question. It contains another 10 pallets of 500 mayonnaise jars each. That is 5000 mayonnaise jars that we have no idea what they contain. Then their is the appearance of the JETO packs, but CJ mentions they appear as they are them. Could these actually be used for launching weapons, such as mayonnaise jars?

Finally we know that Smith is piloting Flight One, but it will take off, but will not land.

What is the correlation of the loading of the three flights? What is up with all the extra mayonnaise jars? Why is flight one doomed, and is Smith doomed as well?

Then we have the whole question if the Scar has alerted the Iranians and what is his actual objective with the operation? What was picked up for The Scar in the Sudan? What plane is that stuff on and is the General even aware of the items on one of the planes?

So many questions popped up out of this chapter, let's hope we see the answers in Chapter 23.

Since we have some time for some more speculation, I was wondering, does the loading of Flight One and Two have any indication of what happens? Also a bit of confusion in what is where?

From the text, Flight One has twenty nine crates of lemons in the forward part of the cargo hold, behind it and to the rear is six pallets. There really is not indication on what these six pallets contain. One would make the assumption that it is the two pallets of grenades in mayonnaise jars, but what is in the other four? Oh, almost forgot the cadavers.

Flight Two contains the 300 chemical mayonnaise jars, or does it? It is mentioned that they are loaded onto Flight Two, but then later it says the only cargo on Flight Two is the fuel bladders.

Now Flight Three is another big question. It contains another 10 pallets of 500 mayonnaise jars each. That is 5000 mayonnaise jars that we have no idea what they contain. Then their is the appearance of the JETO packs, but CJ mentions they appear as they are them. Could these actually be used for launching weapons, such as mayonnaise jars?

Finally we know that Smith is piloting Flight One, but it will take off, but will not land.

What is the correlation of the loading of the three flights? What is up with all the extra mayonnaise jars? Why is flight one doomed, and is Smith doomed as well?

Then we have the whole question if the Scar has alerted the Iranians and what is his actual objective with the operation? What was picked up for The Scar in the Sudan? What plane is that stuff on and is the General even aware of the items on one of the planes?

So many questions popped up out of this chapter, let's hope we see the answers in Chapter 23.

CHANGE TO CHAPTER 22!!!

I mixed up flights two and three in that one reference! Fixed now!! THANK YOU for pointing it out. That's the kind of small goof that can have major negative effects: it made it utterly confusing, and worse, contradictory. I am so glad you caught that.

Okay, let me try and clarify.

The planes were named in order of planned launch. Flight one, the old wreck, goes first. It has seven pallets plus garage door openers installed in its cargo bay, plus the lemons, plus the corpses. Flight two, the one containing just fuel, goes second. Flight Three is the mission aircraft, and also has pallets loaded. The pallets either contain grenade jars, or chemical jars, 500 to a pallet, for 8000 total. (5000 grenade, 3000 chemical). There is one exception; there will be one pallet, the 7th on flight one, that contains something else entirely.

Flight one therefor contains 3000 mayonnaise jars, while Flight Three contains 5000. One of the two loads is a mix of different kinds of jars (chemical or grenade). And yes, I'm being vague about which plane carries what. :)

The JATO packs are mounted to the sides of Flight Three, in standard configuration (pointing aft and slightly down, with a thrust vector through the aircrafts' center of gravity). They won't be used for launching the jars. :)

The Sudan is the Scar's main base. We haven't seen it in the story yet, but he has an airfieild there. Think of it as a distribution hum for his arms biusness. (And the source of some of the weaponry, such as the grenades, etc) The package mentioned from Malta, that came via sudan, is the one from the Bill to the General. it contained the laptop computers, garage door openers, etc.

CJ :)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..