[Duncan Ryder] How the Light Gets In

Well Cyn, that ought to give Duncan (and the rest of us too!) a run for his money! As always you bring a broad view of what is given, and of the possibilities buried within. You are much more willing to venture out than I am, and I have to admit some of your possibilities had me wanting to pull the covers over my eyes....how silly, it's a story after

all. :wacko:

It does seem I will stand alone about Matt, but I just can't shake how I feel about him. Duncan only teases me, :angry: , so i'll either change my mind, rest my case, or have my words for lunch one day, with none being necessarily more desirable than another at this point.

I hope you're being tardy doesn't mean we won't hear some more responss to your post, as it is just the kind of thing that can make a forum great!

Awaiting 11 also,

Tracy

Well Cyn, that ought to give Duncan (and the rest of us too!) a run for his money! As always you bring a broad view of what is given, and of the possibilities buried within. You are much more willing to venture out than I am, and I have to admit some of your possibilities had me wanting to pull the covers over my eyes....how silly, it's a story after

all. :wacko:

It does seem I will stand alone about Matt, but I just can't shake how I feel about him. Duncan only teases me, :angry: , so i'll either change my mind, rest my case, or have my words for lunch one day, with none being necessarily more desirable than another at this point.

I hope you're being tardy doesn't mean we won't hear some more responss to your post, as it is just the kind of thing that can make a forum great!

Awaiting 11 also,

Tracy

ok ok ok, here I am :P:P Sorry, I've just been really busy, out of town a lot, and have some heavy personal things to deal with. but.....drum roll...I sent chapter 11 to Gabriel last night, so it will be up this weekend.

I can only only echo what been written before. excellent chapter. :worship: Was a very touching scene between Luc & Matt in the kitchen. One complaint though. Cold lasagna? Gross! :lol:

I do sense a little bit of chemistry between them, but you could put that down to Matt being kind. Time will tell I guess.

I can't be the only person who likes cold lasagna...

ok ok ok, here I am :P:P Sorry, I've just been really busy, out of town a lot, and have some heavy personal things to deal with. but.....drum roll...I sent chapter 11 to Gabriel last night, so it will be up this weekend.

B) ....Looking forward to it. Thanks Duncan!!!

I can't see Matt and Luc as anything but two people who may become friends, but more likely that they will go through some thing separately, in proximity and possibly of some help to each other.

As Duncan knows already, I don't trust Matt not to cause some trouble before he gets better, and I agree with the comment that he may be the most wounded of all. I have confidence that whatever

he gets up to, he is in over his head with this group, and by that I mean Scott and Josh, Luc, and Laura and Bran also.

The emotional elements in Duncan's work are, in my opinion, a very deep ocean, wide ranging, and subtle as can be, much like the words Scott and Josh breathe into each other's mouths at their most

tender and intimate moments.

You're the Cat's Meow, Duncan. I love cats. B)

Tracy

I'm not sure whether to meow or purr :wub: . I dont' know if I trust Matt either... but he is, well, (altogether now) wounded... and wounded creatures can do dangerous things...

Are all 3 of you reading the same story? :blink:

In the kitchen scene, Matt's tenderness and compassion towards Luc was just incredible. Luc was extremely vulnerable and Matt was there for him. I didn't get that he was just being a nurse-maid for Luc.

Matt is, I think, capable of enormous tenderness. But......he is also in desperate need of it.....

Hmmm, well I'll give you my opinion if you want (heck, I'll give it even if you don't want it :P )

I think that it is your story and you should go with whatever you feel it should take you. You have already shown us over and over again that you can put into words the feelings and emotions of your characters that we all can feel.

In a way I think adding the Bran/Laura relationship into the story you have made this story so much more than a story. It adds a sense of realism that maybe is missing sometimes in stories.

Don't get me wrong, I come here to GA to read gay stories but by adding a struggling hetero relationship into your story it seems like this could be taking place in any university anywhere right now. I believe that there is just as much heartbreak and healing needed between hetero people as their is between gay people in our world, and you are including them all together in your story making it more realistic. By having both gay and straight couples working towards a better life, isn't it a more accurate picture of real life? Add in the fact that maybe the gay people can help the straight ones and visa versa, wouldn't this be a form of Utopia?

Lastly, Duncan, give you head a shake :P , no matter what you write it will come off as real. I'm not saying you don't work extremely hard to make everything realistic, but if anyone can do it my money is on you.

Thanks. I just really want their relationship to come across as...true and sensitive as the others, you know? I want it to be just as real and I want you care about them, as people, just as much.

Ok.... I really wish I could figure out how to do the quote thing so that I don't just reply to the whole email...but I'm a Luddite that way (oh go google it :P !)

Are Luc and Matt obvious? Wow. They aren't to me.... But what do I know? I'm writing to figure it all out. I mean, I think I've said this before (at least to some of you) that when i started EW I intended it to be Scott and Luc's story, and look where that got me... :blink: But yes, a nice analysis of how they cover their insecurities... And I must say...I am pleased with how the 1, 2, 3, 4 scene came out...

Bran and Laura....hmmmm interesting take. Can Bran continue to be patient? I have to think about that...though I'm inclined to think that he bloody well better be or I'll wack him upside the head... and the idea of divided loyalties... hmmmm.

Scott and Josh...sigh...I am beginning to think I have to stop writing about these two. This isn't their story? But it is their story as well... they are very much tied up in it all...and they insist on being here... and yes, Scott is old for his years. That's very deliberate.

Commenting *extremely* late, since I seem to have somehow forgotten to post my thoughts when I first read this chapter over a month ago. :oops: Anyway, here goes:

Luc and Matt

Well, it seems I was wrong, when I guessed that they weren't heading in the direction of one another. It seems pretty obvious from this chapter that, unless something gets in the way, that's exactly where they're heading. And I can't even find myself disappointed at the predictability, because it's so subtly and beautifully done, the scene in the kitchen. It was more about what was unsaid than anything else. Just a few muted words, but an understanding reached. And perhaps the start of something.

I love the contrast between Matt, who uses bravado and flirting to cover his insecurities, and Luc, who shuts down to cover his. Matt thinks of Luc as "the true innocent" (and in Matt's book, he must be) and Luc probably thinks of Matt as just another party boy, but I think Luc is a bit threatened by and intrigued by Matt at the same time. And Matt is forced to take Luc more seriously, as he realises that Luc's observer status isn't just a way to hide, but actually comes with some real live observational skills attached.

The "one two three four" scene with the hand motions was wonderful! This was my favourite part of the chapter, because the rhythm of each line was so beautifully written. I could just feel Luc's pain as he was trying to do the minute hand exercises, and I felt like crying those tears of frustration along with him. Matt was great in the scene afterwards, where he just was there for Luc without being judgmental or trying to impose. Yes, I really do think they could be good for each other.

Bran and Laura

Yes, I want to read more about them! Please! I think Laura is intriguing as a character because she's bouncy and sunny but she uses this as a cover for the wounds that obviously go deep. She has sort of a "mother hen" protectiveness thing going on with all her guy friends, starting with Scott. And she is perceptive in a way that none of the guys ever seem to be, about all of them. Like she says, "I may be female and blonde, but I

I don't know whether to be amused at your Luddite reference or insulted at your assumption that I wouldn't understand it. I'll choose to go with the first option. :P

And I'm happy to hear that 11 is on its way. It's sure to be the highlight of my weekend.

I don't know whether to be amused at your Luddite reference or insulted at your assumption that I wouldn't understand it. I'll choose to go with the first option. :P

I figured you'd get it...but now everyone who doesn't has to look it up!!!! :P

Hooray! This is shaping up to be a great weekend.

I can't be the only person who likes cold lasagna...

Cold lasagna?

sick0021.gif

Yes, it's no surprise to me that Cyn get's it either, or that I haven't a clue.... :funny:

But, I do know how to google, and there is my stand-by favorite, "OneLook.com".

Chapter 11, yes!!

Lively discussion everyone, thanks!

Tracy