[Duncan Ryder] How the Light Gets In

This is another great chapter, Duncan. Thanks.

It's good to see people caring for each other. There's very little jealousy among the three couples in this chapter. They all seem to really care for one another and they are trying to understand. Luc's exercising his damaged hand was very interesting and revealing. You show us his state of mind and his pain as he goes through all fifteen repetitions. That's the sort of unique approach that I have become accustomed to in your stories.

And Luc finally opens up to Matt, starting to build the trust that true friendships require. I expect that will mean a lot to them as the story continues, that it will let a little light get in.

Yes, excellent chapter, Duncan. :worship::worship:

The scene in the kitchen between Luc and Matt was just beautiful. It was so real, so honest and so raw. WOW! It's looking like they may have found a safe place in one another.

It seems, for now, my attention has turned to Luc and Matt. :wub:

I loved Josh's line....there are many ways to love. So sweet and so true.

I am truly amazed and impressed with your ability to infuse your writing with so much emotion. It just rolls over me as I read each chapter.

And dare I hope that little inkling of connection between Matt and Luc blossoms?

Great cahpter, Matt and Luc will have many talking sessions in the future! Hopefully they can get over Josh and Scott, did I miss something or does Josh not remember Matt at all?

I sort of wandered away from the story or the story wandered away from me. When I received the announcement about chapter ten I realized I had not read chapter nine. The tensions in chapter nine are soothed in chapter ten. I was struck by the way Duncan demonstrates that healing comes through dialogue. There is such tension between the four men, but so much of the tension is generated in their personal solitudes. They have things to say to each other that can be healing, but they have not brought themselves to articulate these things. You know it is coming, yet Duncan takes us through the process slowly.

You can add up the parts

but you won't have the sum

You can strike up the march,

there is no drum

Every heart, every heart

to love will come

but like a refugee.

Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack, a crack in everything

That's how the light gets in.

Anthem

Josh let Scott through and that began healing, now we watch Luc and Matt struggle to let somebody through -- struggle to bare their feelings and move on. I suppose we all assume they will find something in each other, but that remains to be seen. The lyrics say love will come like a refugee. It is important that we remember that refugees might be fleeing from something painful, but they are also fleeing to a safe haven. They are moving from turmoil to tranquillity. Thanks Duncan, I'm really enjoying it. :read:

As much as I have always felt for Luc, I think Matt has started to tip the scales for me. I think he may be the most wounded of them all. Luc opened up a little in this chapter, but I have a hard time seeing Matt open up to anyone at this point.

Thank you for the chapter Duncan. It always amazes me how with so few words you can completely transport me from my everyday life and into this story. I read EW one night last May, and to this day it remains my favorite story. At the risk of sounding sappy, each new chapter realeased is like having the chance to catch up with an old friend.

Again, thank you. :)

• Site Administrator

Wow, Wow, Wow,

What a great chapter Duncan. I loved the way that even though the 3 groups didn't maybe talk seriously all together, but I think the way that they all communicated one on one was a huge step for each and everyone of them.

When Luc said:

It was a wow chapter, Duncan. And you continue to produce emotionally powerful work. I agree with Steve that the story of Laura and Bran is becoming an important one. I too was taken on the sentence from Luc that indicated hope that he was stronger and more able to get outside of himself than I might otherwise have thought. I also like the idea that has run through your stories is that we all are wounded and are capable of being a healer to other walking wounded.

Bob :read:

[quote Luc's exercising his damaged hand was very interesting and revealing. You show us his state of mind and his pain as he goes through all fifteen repetitions. That's the sort of unique approach that I have become accustomed to in your stories.

Thanks. I really approached this bit more as a poem... I am kind of pleased with how it came out, from a sheer writer's craft perspective.

I sort of wandered away from the story or the story wandered away from me. When I received the announcement about chapter ten I realized I had not read chapter nine. The tensions in chapter nine are soothed in chapter ten. I was struck by the way Duncan demonstrates that healing comes through dialogue. There is such tension between the four men, but so much of the tension is generated in their personal solitudes. They have things to say to each other that can be healing, but they have not brought themselves to articulate these things. You know it is coming, yet Duncan takes us through the process slowly.

You can add up the parts

but you won't have the sum

You can strike up the march,

there is no drum

Every heart, every heart

to love will come

but like a refugee.

Ring the bells that still can ring

Forget your perfect offering

There is a crack, a crack in everything

That's how the light gets in.

Anthem

Josh let Scott through and that began healing, now we watch Luc and Matt struggle to let somebody through -- struggle to bare their feelings and move on. I suppose we all assume they will find something in each other, but that remains to be seen. The lyrics say love will come like a refugee. It is important that we remember that refugees might be fleeing from something painful, but they are also fleeing to a safe haven. They are moving from turmoil to tranquillity. Thanks Duncan, I'm really enjoying it. :read:

Thx, Eliot. Yes.

You can listen to it here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcX5RMBwbk Leonard, live last summer in Glastonbury.

Yes, excellent chapter, Duncan. :worship::worship:

The scene in the kitchen between Luc and Matt was just beautiful. It was so real, so honest and so raw. WOW! It's looking like they may have found a safe place in one another.

It seems, for now, my attention has turned to Luc and Matt. :wub:

I loved Josh's line....there are many ways to love. So sweet and so true.

Thx! Yes, it is time for us all to start turning out attention to Luc and Matt....

I am truly amazed and impressed with your ability to infuse your writing with so much emotion. It just rolls over me as I read each chapter.

And dare I hope that little inkling of connection between Matt and Luc blossoms?

Thx. Um, yes, we can hope.....

Great cahpter, Matt and Luc will have many talking sessions in the future! Hopefully they can get over Josh and Scott, did I miss something or does Josh not remember Matt at all?

Thx. Um, yes, you missed something. Josh definitely remembers Matt.... I knw this is a problem with me posting at fairly long intervals...

As much as I have always felt for Luc, I think Matt has started to tip the scales for me. I think he may be the most wounded of them all. Luc opened up a little in this chapter, but I have a hard time seeing Matt open up to anyone at this point.

Thank you for the chapter Duncan. It always amazes me how with so few words you can completely transport me from my everyday life and into this story. I read EW one night last May, and to this day it remains my favorite story. At the risk of sounding sappy, each new chapter realeased is like having the chance to catch up with an old friend.

Again, thank you. :)

:wub: That's so kind of you to say.

Wow, Wow, Wow,

Now the major WOW, I'm surprised that nobody else has commented on the huge step forward that Laura has made with Bran, and Bran with Laura. I somehow can understand Bran's feelings towards gay people knowing that he has in the past seen the ugly side of Matt's life. Then his ability to be aware that that was the past and still be willing to help Josh, Scott, Matt, and Luc shows what a great person he is. Finally his patience with Laura is even more commendable. Of all the progress made this one night, I have to say that this interaction at the end was the most emotional to me.

It is funny how we have focused in so much on Josh, Scott, Luc, and Matt so far in this series and we seem to forget the pain that Laura is going through and the support that Bran is giving her.

Thanks for making this a bigger part of the story :worship: .

Steve B)

Yes. I am still kind of nervous about how far to take this relationship in the story... whether I can pull it off and keep in real...and I guess how people will react to it (although less that...I mean, it's MY story so I guess I can take what chances I like...)

It was a wow chapter, Duncan. And you continue to produce emotionally powerful work. I agree with Steve that the story of Laura and Bran is becoming an important one. I too was taken on the sentence from Luc that indicated hope that he was stronger and more able to get outside of himself than I might otherwise have thought. I also like the idea that has run through your stories is that we all are wounded and are capable of being a healer to other walking wounded.

Bob :read:

Thx. Yes, that is kind of my theme I guess...that we're all wounded...and we can all help one another heal if we uncerstand our own woulds and reach out to one another... that's what my guys here are learning....

I can only only echo what been written before. excellent chapter. :worship: Was a very touching scene between Luc & Matt in the kitchen. One complaint though. Cold lasagna? Gross! :lol:

I do sense a little bit of chemistry between them, but you could put that down to Matt being kind. Time will tell I guess.

Guest mizone40

Another great chapter Duncan. There are so many ways you could go forward with these characters from here. I will be waiting with interest for the next installment to see how things develop.

Take care.

I can't see Matt and Luc as anything but two people who may become friends, but more likely that they will go through some thing separately, in proximity and possibly of some help to each other.

As Duncan knows already, I don't trust Matt not to cause some trouble before he gets better, and I agree with the comment that he may be the most wounded of all. I have confidence that whatever

he gets up to, he is in over his head with this group, and by that I mean Scott and Josh, Luc, and Laura and Bran also.

The emotional elements in Duncan's work are, in my opinion, a very deep ocean, wide ranging, and subtle as can be, much like the words Scott and Josh breathe into each other's mouths at their most

tender and intimate moments.

You're the Cat's Meow, Duncan. I love cats. B)

Tracy

I can't see Matt and Luc as anything but two people who may become friends, but more likely that they will go through some thing separately, in proximity and possibly of some help to each other.

Tracy

Are all 3 of you reading the same story? :blink:

In the kitchen scene, Matt's tenderness and compassion towards Luc was just incredible. Luc was extremely vulnerable and Matt was there for him. I didn't get that he was just being a nurse-maid for Luc.

• Site Administrator
Yes. I am still kind of nervous about how far to take this relationship in the story... whether I can pull it off and keep in real...and I guess how people will react to it (although less that...I mean, it's MY story so I guess I can take what chances I like...)

Hmmm, well I'll give you my opinion if you want (heck, I'll give it even if you don't want it :P )

I think that it is your story and you should go with whatever you feel it should take you. You have already shown us over and over again that you can put into words the feelings and emotions of your characters that we all can feel.

In a way I think adding the Bran/Laura relationship into the story you have made this story so much more than a story. It adds a sense of realism that maybe is missing sometimes in stories.

Don't get me wrong, I come here to GA to read gay stories but by adding a struggling hetero relationship into your story it seems like this could be taking place in any university anywhere right now. I believe that there is just as much heartbreak and healing needed between hetero people as their is between gay people in our world, and you are including them all together in your story making it more realistic. By having both gay and straight couples working towards a better life, isn't it a more accurate picture of real life? Add in the fact that maybe the gay people can help the straight ones and visa versa, wouldn't this be a form of Utopia?

Lastly, Duncan, give you head a shake :P , no matter what you write it will come off as real. I'm not saying you don't work extremely hard to make everything realistic, but if anyone can do it my money is on you.

To hear other perspectives on this story is a welome and appreciated opportunity for me.

These characters, all struggling in some way to come to terms, individually and in shifting

interaction with each other, makes it one ideally suited for the intent and purpose of these

forums. Thanks, Duncan, for making a place. I have a sense of the fun it could be too sit

back and watch us "go at it".

Are all 3 of you reading the same story? :blink:

In the kitchen scene, Matt's tenderness and compassion towards Luc was just incredible. Luc was extremely vulnerable and Matt was there for him. I didn't get that he was just being a nurse-maid for Luc.

I agree that it was a genuine interaction, and one that provided insight into Matt's capacity for compassion. It was certainly not his intention, and his initial reluctance reflects who Matt is at this time, where as his rising to the occasion in the kitchen is his potential to be something different in the future. This is the basis for my reservation regarding him, as he will act and react to situations more from who he is now, and what brings about change depends on the strength of our desire to be something different and our ability to bring that to bear upon specific situations. Before we are different, we in a sense watch ourselves acting differently. I hope that makes sense.

Am I really the only one though, who sees Matt this way? :(

Thanks Wildone, for expressing what I think is a very important point-- the absence of heterosexual characters and relationships in any story other than those of the "snapshot" variety, cannot present

a balanced picture of real life, and the question of inclusion and how much reflects an attitude I find

both sad and disturbing. As the gay population struggles to be granted full rights and access to the benefits as legitimate members of society, to then in effect do to other members of that society

what is at least part of what they are fighting against, at the very least doesn't make sense, and at worst,

will only produce change that is skin deep. If the goal is only access, that will work, but if the goal is equality

everyone must be present and counted valid.

That aside, it is truly your story Duncan, I say please yourself. It works for us so far!! And I too have all confidence that you could go as far as you want and still be spot-on.

Tracy

• 1 month later...

Commenting *extremely* late, since I seem to have somehow forgotten to post my thoughts when I first read this chapter over a month ago. :oops: Anyway, here goes:

Luc and Matt

Well, it seems I was wrong, when I guessed that they weren't heading in the direction of one another. It seems pretty obvious from this chapter that, unless something gets in the way, that's exactly where they're heading. And I can't even find myself disappointed at the predictability, because it's so subtly and beautifully done, the scene in the kitchen. It was more about what was unsaid than anything else. Just a few muted words, but an understanding reached. And perhaps the start of something.

I love the contrast between Matt, who uses bravado and flirting to cover his insecurities, and Luc, who shuts down to cover his. Matt thinks of Luc as "the true innocent" (and in Matt's book, he must be) and Luc probably thinks of Matt as just another party boy, but I think Luc is a bit threatened by and intrigued by Matt at the same time. And Matt is forced to take Luc more seriously, as he realises that Luc's observer status isn't just a way to hide, but actually comes with some real live observational skills attached.

The "one two three four" scene with the hand motions was wonderful! This was my favourite part of the chapter, because the rhythm of each line was so beautifully written. I could just feel Luc's pain as he was trying to do the minute hand exercises, and I felt like crying those tears of frustration along with him. Matt was great in the scene afterwards, where he just was there for Luc without being judgmental or trying to impose. Yes, I really do think they could be good for each other.

Bran and Laura

Yes, I want to read more about them! Please! I think Laura is intriguing as a character because she's bouncy and sunny but she uses this as a cover for the wounds that obviously go deep. She has sort of a "mother hen" protectiveness thing going on with all her guy friends, starting with Scott. And she is perceptive in a way that none of the guys ever seem to be, about all of them. Like she says, "I may be female and blonde, but I