Do you use a cell phone exclusively?

MikeL

Deadsnake's thread on the cell phone vs. the wristwatch as a timepiece prompted this question. Thanks Deadsnake.

Two of my sons and their wives have done away with their land line service in their homes and now use cell phones exclusively. Have you?

It makes a lot of sense. Each person has his/her personal phone number and is always available to answer. Saves money too.

I have a landline simply beacuse my mobile number is too difficult for my mother to remember and dial. I think that if it weren't for her I wouldn't bother. I very rarely use it for anything else.

I only have a mobile, but then I don't have my own place at the moment. My mum has a landline, though it's restricted to land-line to land-line calls because of the package we have got with a company called TalkTalk. then we have to use mobiles for ringing mobiles. a bit shit in that household though as the network we all happen to be on seems to have a blackspot in signal where our house is, but we have no choice.

how would you get broadband though? maybe it's different in america but to get the internet you need a landline usually. dongles are new though and spreading, but they're expensive. talktalk you get the landline, broadband and all land-line calls free for a really cheap price.

I suppose the alternative is going with the new virgin broadband, for them you don't need a landline, but you do need your area to have had the newest technology put in, the fibre-optic wires.

our home phone never stops ringing though. it's mainly people ringing us, but my mum uses it to rings land-lines and when I'm next to her reminds me as well. otherwise I use my mobile out of instinct.

the annoying thing about the land-line are the number of sales calls we get, even though we aren't a listed number.

(also the last student house I was in they were keen on using the land-line to calls gfs/parents etc because it was cheaper as again on that package (which also included the tv programs) we got free landline calls after 6pm

Edited by Smarties

I have a landline simply beacuse my mobile number is too difficult for my mother to remember and dial. I think that if it weren't for her I wouldn't bother. I very rarely use it for anything else.

Couldn't you give here a phone with your cell number in the speed dial memory? You could be #1. :P

I have a land line. My dsl is on it. But I never answer the phone mostly it's telemarketers, have answering machine though. Always answer cell after looking to see who. I thought of dropping line land. The phone company is the...

We have both, my mom mostly uses the land line. I don't answer that phone at all, mostly because it's downstairs and I'm upstairs.

Want to get ahold of me, call my cell phone. Besides, I'm way to lazy to try and remember a person's phone number. (And too old to learn new tricks)

Cell, only, for more than 6 years. Downside: can't think of one except that 911 doesn't automatically associate an address with the cell number, as they do with landlines. Upside: almost no telemarketers, one bill, caller ID-speed dial-all the standard cell features. Oh, and almost no telemarketers.

No.

I use both, 2 cell phones for my wife and myself, 3 land lines (one for private calls, one for business calls and one for fax).

As I'm still working half time at home, so I need all. It doesnt cost a lot, because I have only one contract for all lines at a reduced price (we have 4 different providers here and I negociated with all to get the best conditions ) :D .

Couldn't you give here a phone with your cell number in the speed dial memory? You could be #1. tongue.gif

Unfortunately she would never remember. She isn't up to learning new things now, even simple ones. Besides... to my mother I am NEVER going to be number one.

how would you get broadband though? maybe it's different in america but to get the internet you need a landline usually. dongles are new though and spreading, but they're expensive.

I was going to raise this point :P.

I know that a lot of places in the US are so backward (I mean.... rural...) that they can only get dialup anyway. Thats almost down to 'why bother' levels.

3G dongles are ok, but theyre slow and have restrictive caps and even more restrictive charging for exceeding that cap. Some can charge

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Yes I do txt alot.

It bugs me when teachers say you can't Txt and work at the same time, even though I get the work done.

It bugs me when my Dad says you can't shop and Txt at the same time, but I can Txt with my eyes closed.

I could txt 24/7

:P

I have one as part of my broadband/cable package. It it is usually forwarded to my cell when I'm out running around which is most of the time. Then I usually forget to unforward it when I get home. LOL

I have a landline strictly for the purpose of DSL. If I didn't need it for DSL I'd drop it like a bad habit. I never answer that phone, In fact, I turned the ringer off and do not know how to turn it back on without reading the manual, Which I threw away several years ago. So until one of my 4 or 5YO nieces or nephews comes over and can do it for me, It is silent.

I use my cellphone for all my calls. And for texting. And checking email. And for everything.

The only reason I have a land line is because otherwise I wouldn't be able to be on here on DSL and refuse to go back to dial up after tasting DSL. Once I'm out of this dot on the map we call town I'll have more choices of companies. But yes, I only use my cell to make calls unless it's an 800 number, then I'll use the land line. You know when ever you call an 800 # they make you wait for ever, I put it on speaker and just wait while I'm reading on the puter.And yes, I press 1 for English!

Edited by Rush

I have a landline strictly for the purpose of DSL. If I didn't need it for DSL I'd drop it like a bad habit. I never answer that phone, In fact, I turned the ringer off and do not know how to turn it back on without reading the manual, Which I threw away several years ago. So until one of my 4 or 5YO nieces or nephews comes over and can do it for me, It is silent.

I use my cellphone for all my calls. And for texting. And checking email. And for everything.

LOL!! You and I are alike in that aspect! I don't have the ringer on on the land line either and would also drop them like a bad disease!

I have landlines at home and work. I DO have a cell-phone, with really cheap service--about 10 cents a minute, pay as you go, no monthly or other charges. I spend maybe $60 or $70 a year. When I travel, I have the cell phone with me, but the power is usually turned off except when I'm making a call or expecting one. When I'm neither at home or work, I'm usually in a place were I don't want to be interrupted--a concert, a meeting, driving through urban traffic, or just in a reverie--not having interruptions allows me good non-linear contemplation time.

--Rigel

I don't have my own place, but when I move out in a few months I'm not planning on having a land line unless it comes as part of some cable internet/tv and voice package. Even then I might not bother hooking up my phone... I've had a cordless phone in my room for many years and I've used it maybe ten times. Otherwise my cell phone is my life. Calls, text messaging, clock, alarm clock, email on the go, digital camera, etc. If they don't force it down my throat, I'm not gonna piss money away on a land line when I'm going to have a cell number no matter what (and I love my number... last four digits are my favorite year!).

My parents are getting rid of their landline because it's gonna start costing money now to keep it in service. It use to come free for us because my parents work for at&t, but the company can no longer afford to provide it free of cost to employees as a benefit because the wire-line department is not generating revenue. The future's all wireless.