Rate Your Desktop

This is a thread I've seen on a few different forums and I thought I'd try starting it here. Okay what you do is rank the desktop of the poster before you based on a few different factors and post a picture of your own desktop for the next person to rank.

Here's the ranking system, everything is on a scale of 1 to 10:

Neatness:

Appearance:

General Effect:

Overall Effect:

For those who are unaware of how to take a picture of your desktop, here is a little instruction manual:

Minimize everything on your computer so just your desktop is showing(This is also the time to close out of any programs or websites that you don't want people to see you're on ;)). Now press the Print Screen key that tends to be on the right side of your keyboard, it is usually next to the Insert and Pause/Break keys. Now open up whatever Paint type program you have on your computer(Microsoft Paint, Paint Shop Pro, Paint.NET, PhotoShop, GIMP, etc.) and click Edit -> Paste or press Ctrl + V. Now save the document and upload it to a picture site(Imageshack, TinyPic, PhotoBucket, etc.) and post the picture using the IMG tags here in the reply. =)

Now for a few really short rules:

--If you have more than one computer, or more than one workspace with different backgrounds, feel free to post them all at once or over a few posts for different people to rank each one.

--Don't post the same desktop more than once

--You can post a new pic to be ranked whenever your desktop changes(different theme, different background, etc.)

--Have fun and be as objective as possible when ranking

Now that we've got all that out of the way, I'll start off with my desktop and it'll go from there.

desktop.png

Neatness: 10

I am a big fan of shortcut-less desktops. Yours is very clear and clean.

Appearance: 5

The background is way too busy for me. There are way too many focal points, I don't know where to look (after that face in the middle.)

General effect: 6

Umm, what does this mean? If you mean how utilitarian/easy to use it is then my score above is accurate. If you can find the navbars in all that background, then it's Linux. Also, not being able to see the date is a drawback.

Overall effect: 7

My work desktop. It requires explanation. I group things on my desktop. Screen two is for personal documents, screen one is for work documents. I prefer a blank desktop, but my work desktop keeps getting things on it. This is a state of disarray. I usually have just the WinXP basics and the group of programs in the lower right of screen 1. Taskbar is on auto-hide. I figure this deserves a low score, so be honest.

screen1.png

screen2.png

Work sucks the originality out of it. D:

Neatness: 10, hahahaha that's very organized.

Appearance: 4

General Effect: typical work desktop. I wanna see your home one.

Overall Effect: o_O hmmm, 10+ 4 = 14 /2 = 7

so 7 ^_^

4356578.jpg?t=1269610551

Haha, mine is lame too.

Work sucks the originality out of it. D:

Neatness: 10, hahahaha that's very organized.

Appearance: 4

General Effect: typical work desktop. I wanna see your home one.

Overall Effect: o_O hmmm, 10+ 4 = 14 /2 = 7

so 7 ^_^

4356578.jpg?t=1269610551

Haha, mine is lame too.

Your desktop is just like you. Adorable.wub.gif

Lol oh man my old desktop was a nightmare. My new one is clean because I dont have anything reinstalled. Still havent gotten around to that :P Will post up after I shower. And mike, look for the print screen button on your keyboard. It should be a key that says prt sc. Every keyboard I've ever seen has one so your safe lol. If you have a mac based system you can just use the capture application I think its called.

Step 1. Hit prt sc

Step 2. Open SOME kind of image processing program (paint, photoshop, whatever, as long as you can edit a canvas your good.)

Step 3. Paste (Ctrl + V, edit paste, whichever you prefer.)

Step 4. Crop if you want, resize, blah blah save.

Edit: Okay so old desktop

Screencap_old_desktop.png

Not sure if you can tell, but all my applications were grouped by type. Going clockwise starting with the top left we have Default system stuff, (my computer etc.) 3rd party system tools (for keeping tracks of temps, cpu clock speeds etc.) general use applications (internet, itunes) Music production related apps, image/video production related apps, the scrap pile in the bottom left, all my games and game related apps along the bottom, and more specific utility apps in the bottom left. Uhh, my backgrounds are always set to slideshow so that one is 1 of like 9 wallpapers I used/use.

new_desktop.png

This one, for the most part files just sit where they land lol. Still in the process of moving -_-;

Edited by Skyline

desktop.jpg

That's mines its nothing crazy special effect-ish but I like it. All my musical inspiratons!

Neatness: 5

Appearance: 5

General Effect: 5

Overall Effect: 5

You have a standard desktop bro. Fives all teh way across the board for average.

My home: taskbar is auto-hide + actor/singer Troye Sivan

home.png

James you weren't supposed to rate your own... though if I had to give it a number:

Neatness: 1 (cluttered, but not all over the place)

Appearance: 5 (I like the background, even if it is masked with icons)

General effect: 3 (A bit generic)

Overall effect: 3 (Average of the above three)

Here is my current desktop desktop. I'll post my laptop desktop some other time. I have Rainmeter on that one and still need to configure it the way I like.

DesktopMarch2010-1.jpg

Edited by rknapp

James you weren't supposed to rate your own... though if I had to give it a number:

Neatness: 1 (cluttered, but not all over the place)

Appearance: 5 (I like the background, even if it is masked with icons)

General effect: 3 (A bit generic)

Overall effect: 3 (Average of the above three)

Here is my current desktop desktop. I'll post my laptop desktop some other time. I have Rainmeter on that one and still need to configure it the way I like.

DesktopMarch2010-1.jpg

Screw the desktop...nice car!

Untitled.jpg

Yea yea... I know I have IE on my taskbar, but I have to use it for school.... and yes.... I know its windows.... BLEH....

Maybe I'll grace you with my Linux setup ;) When I'm not being lazy :P

We appear to have a large windows population(and mainly Windows 7) here at GA, i think i'm the only one not on a windows OS so far :o

I only use Windows for iTunes (damn iPod touch :P ), games and school (hence why I'm on it now... I've been doing school work like a good little boy :P )

I normally use Ubuntu for everything else (writing, web surfing, etc). I'm also being lazy switching over to Ubuntu and taking a screen shot lol so NEYH ;)

I normally use Ubuntu for everything else (writing, web surfing, etc). I'm also being lazy switching over to Ubuntu and taking a screen shot lol so NEYH ;)

tsk tsk tsk, how are we ever going to bring people to linux if we're lazy? :P

For Eric

Neatness: 8...too much going on on the taskbar for my liking lol

Appearance: 7...it's a fairly nice background

General Effect: 6

Overall Effect: 5 1/2 lol

Here's one of my other workspaces, i have 4 of them and each has it's own background, each of which i change nearly every week.

Screenshot.png

Screenshot.png

Neatness: I guess a 10 by default...

Appearance: 9

General Effect: 10, I like the side effects, a clever way to turn a vertically oriented image into an effective desktop background

Overall Effect: 10

desktopar.png

The Bruins player in question is Vladimir Sobotka:

sobotka_vladimir_0809head_use.jpg:wub:

Also, I clearly don't remove stuff from my desktop very often. I don't use the shortcuts, either, though, so I'm just too lazy to clean something that doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Neatness: 8 the background (great action picture) makes it a little difficult to see the icons.

Appearance: 9

General Effect: 10

Overall Effect: 10

Desktop.jpg

I used to have photos of my grandsons, but haven't gotten around to that on my new PC. Two things I want you to notice: (1) I use Windows 7, it's proven to be a very good operating system. There are no other Microsoft products loaded. (2) A few business icons appear appear on the right edge; everything else is for fun.

Guest Renese Williams

I just have to reply on this one! I like the Civ4 BTS icon there! :D And Sobotka is Czech! :2thumbs:

Anyways... now I have to show mine... :unsure: I'm not like Mark Arbour who just comments and doesn't post his! :P

So... to explain the clutter on my desktop - I keep the actual stuff there to remind me of what I need to do or what I'm working on currently. The files are arranged by "date modified" so the most current stuff is the last.

Neatness: 10

Appearance: 7

General Effect: 7

Overall Effect: 7

You defiantly have the organization down. I'm just a stickler for color matching backgrounds and task bars. xD

Okay, here's mine.

24549130.jpg