Your best summer recipes

Fried Chicken:

Take skinless chicken, dip in buttermilk and sprinkle with lemon pepper and flour.

Fry in Canola oil ~10 minutes.

Stove pipe Gravy (Chicken gravy)

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 cup water, or as needed

1- when you have finished frying chicken, pour off the oil

2- add flour and water to the pan. cook on low heat until it thickens golden brown.

May add black pepper.

Serve over rice.

Serve with:Butter beans, corn on the cob and/or black eyed peas

Jalepeno Cornbread:

1 cup flour

1 cup cornmeal

11/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup non-fat milk

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

2 egg whites, lightly beaten

2 or 3 fresh jalapenos chopped (careful with the peppercorns)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.

In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg whites, jalapeno and jalapeno juice. Pour wet ingredients over dry and using a fork, stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Spread batter evenly into 2 non-stick 9-inch round cake pans and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into triangles and serve immediately.

Serve with Iced tea and a slice of lemon.

Options: serve butter beans and/or black eyed peas with salsa or salsa Verde

A slice of fresh tomato works well too.

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by Myr
fixed some notes about promotion
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

The thing I keep on hand most of the summer? Not really a recipe but it's my kid's favorite. Frozen grapes. They stab them with toothpicks and dip them in vanilla non-fat yogurt that I add cinnamon to. I also make cinnamon tortilla chips and lemon curd, though that's not exactly healthy :D

Tortilla chips:

Brush tortillas with melted butter and cinnamon, slice into triangles and bake til crispy. 8 minutes at 350.

Lemon Curd:

3 Lg Eggs

1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (don't use the bottled juice)

1 tablespoon (4 grams) shredded lemon zest

3/4 cup (150 grams) white sugar

4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, room temp

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, whisk eggs, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly until the mix becomes thick. Takes about 10 minutes. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into lemon mix until melted. Add zest and let thicken as it cools. Put plastic wrap on the top of the curd when you store it or it gets a skin on top. It can be refrigerated for a week. If you like a milder flavor you can fold in some whipped cream.

My Favorite Summer Time Recipes:

Pea Salad:

One 10-ounce package of frozen tiny peas (thawed)

A cup of diced red peppers

1/2 Brick of cheese (Cut into small cubes)

Dressing:

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup salad dressing

Mix together the diced red peppers, cubes of cheese and peas into a large bowl. Once mixed throughly, mix the dressing in with the contents in the bowl throughly so that its mixed through together. Serves 8-10 cup servings.

And my other favorite recipe for the summer (though you gotta be old enough to enjoy it... )

The Eric Special:

2 shots of Skyy Melon

1 cup of club soda with ice

Shake the vodka and ice together to chill if needed and pour into the club soda and enjoy

Mango/Black Bean/Corn salad

1 ripe mango. cubed.

1-2 ears of corn. cooked and cut off the cob.

1 can of black beans. rinsed and drained.

2 small tomatoes, chopped (I like roma tomatoes)

1 avocado, cubed

6 scallions, chopped

Dressing:

2 Tablespoons olive oil

1 Tablespoon lime juice

1 Tablespoon honey

1 clove garlic, minced

1 teaspoon ground cumin

Edited by nightsky

SMORE's

Graham Crackers

Chocolate

Marshmallow

Step 1. Drink a lot of beer while getting the bonfire ready to roast marshmallows.

Step 2. When the beer is gone, Put a marshmallow on the end of a stick and lightly toast over the what remains of the fire, Because the beer will have made you give up on fueling it hours ago.

Step 3. If you didn't lose the marshmallow into the fire and somehow it isnt just a charred black mush ball on the end of your stick, Then you can put it between 2 graham crackers and add a piece of chocolate.

The perfect summer food :boy:

This recipe is for Sofrito. We use it to season different foods we cook. The recipe will last you for a while so you might want to put it in a container or ice trays & freeze (will make easy cubes) to use as needed. Since I use it regularly I keep it in the refrigerator.

2 Green Peppers

2 Med. size Onion

2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 Head of Garlic (or as much as you like)

1 Tbsp. Cumin

1 Tsp. Adobo (Seasoning we use for all meats. You'll love this product!! See picture here...

http://www.goya.com/...ondiments/Adobo

1 Packet Sazon Goya (Also used to season different meals) My fav. is with Coriander & Annatto. It adds the yellow on rice and gives a great flavor. See picture here...

http://www.goya.com/.../Sazon-Bouillon

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

1 Small Bundle Cilantro

Cut Onion & Peppers in small chunks. Add all ingredients in blender (a little at a time) to make a mushy mix.

You can use this mixture to add to Beans, Yellow Rice, Chicken Fricassee, and any other recipe which contains any sauce. (2 Tsp. will do)

Best Burgers you'll ever eat!

Depending how many you'll feed...

1 Lb. Ground Beef (or how ever much you'll need)

2 heaping Tbsp. Sofrito

1 Egg

1/2 Pack Soda Crackers, crumbled (will stretch the 1lb. of meat)

In large bowl mix all the ingredients. Shape patties & BBQ it!

Pork Roast

1 bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder, Boston butt or picnic shoulder (8 – 9 lbs.)

¼ cup olive oil

2 Tbsp. white vinegar

6-8 cloves of garlic, chopped

1 packet Sazón with Coriander and Annatto. (Save a little bit of the seasoning in the packet.)

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 teaspoon Cumin

In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients and set aside.

Using a sharp knife, stab pork all over on all sides. With a small spoon ( I use a baby spoon, it's easier ) stuff each hole with seasoning. What's left of the Sazon, rub it all over the pork. Place on a large roasting pan skin side up. Bake at 350F for 3 to 4 hrs. Once fully cooked, slice the skin off, place it on large tray and cut the fat off. Skin should be crispy and YUMMY! If it's not crispy enough you can place it in a baking pan and put back in the over until your desired crispiness.

Beer Chicken

1 Whole Chicken

Adobo

1 Can Beer

Heat over at 350F

Sprinkle Chicken with Adobo inside and out to season. Open beer can (if you can take the whole top off with can opener even better or punch more holes on top)

On baking pan, place beer in the center. Sit chicken on beer can, allow the two legs to form two sides of tripod so chicken is stable. Make sure it won't tip over. This is going to be the most tender and moist chicken you'll ever eat!!!

This chicken can also be cooked on the grill.

RECOMMENDED cooking times (350 degrees):

2½ - 3 lbs - 1 - 1¾ hrs

3½ - 4 lbs - 1½ - 1¾ hrs

4½ - 5 lbs - 1½ - 2 hrs

5 - 6 lbs - 1¾ - 2½ hrs

Edited by Rush

For those of you that a really into cooking and use herbs --- you might like to check out this link

https://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/shophome.html

I buy ALL my spices from them. The difference in taste and quality is way beyond awesome.

They also have stores in a good number of cities. You can go in and smell or do a touchy feely thing.

The difference from the supermarket and Penzeys products is breath taking. REALLY!!!

Why they wanted all that oregano and basil I have no idea. :lmao:

It must have been the italian mafia branch of the feds :lmao:

Ok, to stay on topic 0:)

This is not healthy by any means, But it is an awesome side dish for grilled food. Kids like it too.

Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole

1 16oz bag of frozen hashbrown shreds, I use the kind with the onions and peppers in them already

1 can cream of mushroom soup(cream of chicken can be used if someone is that picky)

8 oz sour cream

shredded cheese

butter

Preheat oven to 350

In a big bowl, Mix the hashbrowns, Soup, Sour cream and a handful of cheese(use as much as you want)

Pour into a greased cake pan or something close to that size and even out

Dot the top with pats of butter

Top with as much cheese as you want

Bake for 30-40 minutes, Until it's all bubbly and all the cheese is melted.

Optionally, You can put some crushed corn flakes on top to give it some crispness if you want, Or crushed French Fried Onions.