Letters of Love by Dolores Esteban

• Site Administrator

This is a lot shorter than Dolores's usual anthology entries, but I really enjoyed it. It uses the 'powerful experience/emotion' interpretation of 'Out of This World' and it does it well.

The cadence is definitely one of formal, historical letter writing, but the text shows a very deep and abiding passion. Was it only the one time they were together? It could be, though it may be that they are just recalling that one, great time when they were both taken out of this world by their passion.

It's only an impression, but I get the feeling that these two are of different stations. There's a sense that they shouldn't be together, and not due to a taboo on homosexuality. I don't know if it's true, but I see Raymond as a young nobleman, slightly innocent, while Edouard is something else -- maybe an older merchant or soldier, or maybe an older/more experienced nobleman from a family that has had some conflicts with Raymond's in the past. There's really nothing in the story that tells me that, but that's the impression I get.

I also noticed that the letters change from a 'looking at the past' to one of the 'now'. It's slow, but it gives them a sense of urgency. Somehow, if they are still apart, I don't see them staying that way for long :)

Thanks, Dolores! :wub:

That was incredibly powerful. There is something about letters, even ones that are written on the screen, that is intensely personal and intensely... intense. I loved this story firstly because of the love that shines out of the writing, of these two strangers whose lives we only very briefly touch and then look away... and secondly because it reminds me that it really is a good idea to turn off the email and write a letter to someone you love now and again. Fabulous story Dolores

• 4 months later...