As a fraternity guy, and one that advises his fraternity...

Most schools turn a blind eye to Greeks and the actions of a few members...Greek Alums donate, on average 30% more than their non Greek counterparts...Money talks.

The National Offices, generally won't get involved unless the University makes it an issue, or there is a major incident (death of a member or at a party/in the house)

I would imagine 6 fraternity members nearly [maybe actually] beating a student to death in a gay bashing incident and then 3 others trying to beat up a potential witness might qualify as a major incident. One other thing to consider - Raymond Henry, Jason's Grandfather - is an Alumni - Graydon's most prominent alum. I cut out a scene, but the Raymond and Flora Henry Field house is named after Jason's grandparents because it was their money that built it, and the University is also in Raymond's will.

BUT as I said, I would think this qualified as a major even, no?? ;)

Also, I am NOT going to pursue that story line, though now that Benji has raised it, I might toss it in as part of the short story I plan for the trial of Jordan Colmar.

Thanks Matt - now I know who to ask if I have a question on this topic. :)

Andy

I would think the incident in the pool would galvanize the University and the National Office of the Fraternity to expel that chapter. Time, space and effort constrain me from going into details for everything that might happen. And, I never thought about that LOL. My sense is that unless Jason pressed charges, this would go no where. Just as how it is, if he isn't feeling threatened or intimidated, it is going to be hard to prove witnesses tampering - attempt maybe but still.

As a fraternity guy, and one that advises his fraternity...

Most schools turn a blind eye to Greeks and the actions of a few members...Greek Alums donate, on average 30% more than their non Greek counterparts...Money talks.

The National Offices, generally won't get involved unless the University makes it an issue, or there is a major incident (death of a member or at a party/in the house)

I'm a college fraternity alumnus. I think the national offices of fraternities take incidents such as those described in Second Shot very seriously. They do not refrain from suspending or revoking the charters of chapters who get involved in illegal activities or infractions of university rules. As for assaulting other students for being gay, I would think fraternity members are less likely to do that than are members of the student body at large. Most fraternity members probably are homophobic, but they are not likely to commit hate crimes.

I'm a college fraternity alumnus. I think the national offices of fraternities take incidents such as those described in Second Shot very seriously. They do not refrain from suspending or revoking the charters of chapters who get involved in illegal activities or infractions of university rules. As for assaulting other students for being gay, I would think fraternity members are less likely to do that than are members of the student body at large. Most fraternity members probably are homophobic, but they are not likely to commit hate crimes.

Mike,

Agreed, I want to be clear this was not a fraternity bashing portrayal - I was a founding father of my fraternities chapter where I went to college. I remember quite clearly the National's admonishments - every year - to go beyond the rules of the school with our conduct, how what we did reflected not just on us but the other members of our chapter and all the chapters and how being in the fraternity was not only an privilege but it came with responsibilities. So, this was never meant as an indictment of the fraternity system. Sorry if you or anyone else took that from my back and forth with Benji.

Andy

• Like 1

Mike,

Agreed, I want to be clear this was not a fraternity bashing portrayal - I was a founding father of my fraternities chapter where I went to college. I remember quite clearly the National's admonishments - every year - to go beyond the rules of the school with our conduct, how what we did reflected not just on us but the other members of our chapter and all the chapters and how being in the fraternity was not only an privilege but it came with responsibilities. So, this was never meant as an indictment of the fraternity system. Sorry if you or anyone else took that from my back and forth with Benji.

Andy

:blink:......Ahem, didn't mean to make a stir here regarding the Frat! Just pointed out that you have a certain frat making trouble in a town that seems to be disgusted by the actions of a certain Frat, a town that regarded Peter to be one of their own. That be a given, you have a pissed off Police Chief, who took names and statements, if that doesn't lead anywhere so be it. So just saying it would not be a surprise to see the frat take heat on their actions. 0:) I mean, I already misread the Grandparents in the other chapters so I wouldn't be surprised if nothing came out of this one. My focus is on the upcoming soccer match, I seem to believe it will be quite entertaining, followed by Peter's awakening. Is Andy going to leave us all with another cliffhanger??

0:)

• Like 1

Took a short break from working - hmm might be good to get more work done before a break but oh well. Here is 32. I have a feeling I am going to get pillared soon if I don't resolve one way or the other Peter's condition, but it won't be in this chapter.

Be patient, I mean, things are happening in the world while Peter is in a coma. I promise by Chapter 35 I will give you all a better up date on what happens to Peter. Just not promising what that will be.

Here is the link: Head In The Game

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Teeheee, I remember hanging on every chapter waiting to hear about poor Peter--you do a great job building up suspense and tension. Not giving any of the particulars away, I'll just say it's an incredibly emotional ride.

Oh, and this chapter with the game really gets me riled up. Love it! Could really feel Jason here.

Btw--Dean's is really sweet. Sorta like him, hehe. :P

• Like 1

Andy-

I liked the chapter a lot. It gives a sense of reality of some of the machismo type equity we see in sports (and in life).

To clarify, I think SOME fraternities are more progressive than others, and some Universities are very responsive, whereas others aren't...

The discussion here lends me to wonder, what is the Henry's stance on this? Did they see the news reports?

Hmmm...keep up the good work!

-Matt

• Like 1

Teeheee, I remember hanging on every chapter waiting to hear about poor Peter--you do a great job building up suspense and tension. Not giving any of the particulars away, I'll just say it's an incredibly emotional ride.

Oh, and this chapter with the game really gets me riled up. Love it! Could really feel Jason here.

Btw--Dean's is really sweet. Sorta like him, hehe. :P

Funny how this comes out as suspense and tension. I really wanted to show Jason 'living with' Peter's injury. I have to say there are SO many little things you suggested that totally made it more realistic - I won't go into all of them but you have helped me so much with this particular set of chapters -

I know folks think I am dragging this out and teasing them, but I didn't want it to be - he's hurt, we're sad. he's better/worse, he's back to normal/dead. If that comes across as teasing/taunting, I apologize - [okay not really, I think it is needed -_- ] There is a bit more soccer left in the season so we might see another match - they did make the playoffs after all :)

Andy-

I liked the chapter a lot. It gives a sense of reality of some of the machismo type equity we see in sports (and in life).

To clarify, I think SOME fraternities are more progressive than others, and some Universities are very responsive, whereas others aren't...

The discussion here lends me to wonder, what is the Henry's stance on this? Did they see the news reports?

Hmmm...keep up the good work!

-Matt

Matt,

First the whole point of the discussion topic IS for you to do just what you did - I fully expect to write you back when I work on the short story of the trial. I have asked a couple other readers for input on things I wanted to add into the story that I felt they would know something I could use. If I don't have to make it up entirely it makes if feel more real.

They Henrys are going to be involved again - but not for a little bit. Can't have too many stories bouncing around at once. To me - and to Benji as well I think - they are amony my favorite characters in this story - I wish I could do more with them but it would take me too far a field. Maybe in the trial phase.

Thank you both for the comments :).

Andy

• Like 1

Funny how this comes out as suspense and tension. I really wanted to show Jason 'living with' Peter's injury. I have to say there are SO many little things you suggested that totally made it more realistic - I won't go into all of them but you have helped me so much with this particular set of chapters -

I know folks think I am dragging this out and teasing them, but I didn't want it to be - he's hurt, we're sad. he's better/worse, he's back to normal/dead. If that comes across as teasing/taunting, I apologize - [okay not really, I think it is needed -_- ] There is a bit more soccer left in the season so we might see another match - they did make the playoffs after all :)

Matt,

First the whole point of the discussion topic IS for you to do just what you did - I fully expect to write you back when I work on the short story of the trial. I have asked a couple other readers for input on things I wanted to add into the story that I felt they would know something I could use. If I don't have to make it up entirely it makes if feel more real.

They Henrys are going to be involved again - but not for a little bit. Can't have too many stories bouncing around at once. To me - and to Benji as well I think - they are amony my favorite characters in this story - I wish I could do more with them but it would take me too far a field. Maybe in the trial phase.

Thank you both for the comments :).

Andy

B)............Well I did not not unexpect the trials of the upcoming soccer match, I expected some grief flung out there. I also thought Jason would have his teamates backing him on it. I was surprised Peter did not make the recovery during this time, but the added bonus of Dean being in Jason's world makes sense, will the other soccer jocks get him high or drunk here? Going to be an interesting next chapter here, I'd love to hear the coach of the losing team yelling at his players in the losing locker room! 0:)

• Like 1

Interesting chapter, while it's been years since I've been on a sports team you captured the feelings and atmosphere just right in this chapter. Also I liked how we sort of observed the teams adjustment to having an openly gay player. Not to be cynical, but it would be interesting to see if there would be any difference in how the team handled a gay player if it wasn't someone like Jason, a co-captain and high valued member of the team. The team unity may still be there to present a united front, but...

Anyways not going on ( that I noticed ) with plot, but still a good chapter for observing secondary characters.

Just how good at soccer is Dean? I'm still betting on him getting into trouble even though he seems like a good kid.

• Like 2

B)............Well I did not not unexpect the trials of the upcoming soccer match, I expected some grief flung out there. I also thought Jason would have his teamates backing him on it. I was surprised Peter did not make the recovery during this time, but the added bonus of Dean being in Jason's world makes sense, will the other soccer jocks get him high or drunk here? Going to be an interesting next chapter here, I'd love to hear the coach of the losing team yelling at his players in the losing locker room! 0:)

What I didn't want was something too trite - oh they win AND guess what, Peter wakes up. As I said, Peter's condition will be dealt with again in Chapter 35, until then - :ph34r:

No comment on Dean - nope no more comments, that's all for now.

Thanks B-man :)

Andy

Interesting chapter, while it's been years since I've been on a sports team you captured the feelings and atmosphere just right in this chapter. Also I liked how we sort of observed the teams adjustment to having an openly gay player. Not to be cynical, but it would be interesting to see if there would be any difference in how the team handled a gay player if it wasn't someone like Jason, a co-captain and high valued member of the team. The team unity may still be there to present a united front, but...

Anyways not going on ( that I noticed ) with plot, but still a good chapter for observing secondary characters.

Just how good at soccer is Dean? I'm still betting on him getting into trouble even though he seems like a good kid.

Thanks for the comment, I hoped the soccer stuff ran true for folks, never know until I put it out there and let it flap in the breeze.

You are right, it would be interesting to see what if Jason were some bench warmer, and didn't have his best friend at his side to speak up for him. But that isn't this story now is it?? B)

As for Dean, well he is THAT good. I don't think he is as level headed as Jason, partly because Jason was usually there to watch over him and keep him out of trouble. But yeah he is a good kid but . . .

• Like 1

Chapter 33 is up - Jason leaves Dean with is friends - must be the stress of Peter's injuries for thinking that would be a good idea.

Chapter 33: What Are Best Friends For

One more chapter after this and we find out more about Peter's status. Next Chapter I will take a quick poll to see what people's thoughts are - Anyta and Frosty you tow can't vote or comment :P

Andy

Hi Andy,

Arrgh - still no movement one way or the other on Peter. I've lost track of time in the story so how many days have elapsed between the attack and the imminent visit to Peter's apartment? So Dean got his drunk wish and like so many before, paid the price the next day - oh my head... :-o

Loved the bit of hint that the brothers fight like all brothers seem to do - I had been thinking that they were a bit unnatural not having any fights growing up!

Would love to hear how Deanie weanie would pay back Daryl for his indiscretion...

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

Arrgh - still no movement one way or the other on Peter. I've lost track of time in the story so how many days have elapsed between the attack and the imminent visit to Peter's apartment? So Dean got his drunk wish and like so many before, paid the price the next day - oh my head... :-o

Loved the bit of hint that the brothers fight like all brothers seem to do - I had been thinking that they were a bit unnatural not having any fights growing up!

Would love to hear how Deanie weanie would pay back Daryl for his indiscretion...

Kevin,

Posting it chapter at a time does mess up the time flow. The attack happened on Wednesday, the vigil was Thursday, Mom's visit was Friday and the game was Saturday. This chapter ends on Sunday morning. So about 4 days.

B)............ Well, Dean let loose after all, not surprising being in a college environment and all. What will Jason find when he visits Peter's apartment?

Did the frat boy's seek revenge from not being able to take on Jason, Darrly and Dean at the pool hall? Did they redecorate Peter's apartment?

Great chapter! Looking forward to reading more, good to know Peter will recover!

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1

B)............ Well, Dean let loose after all, not surprising being in a college environment and all. What will Jason find when he visits Peter's apartment?

Did the frat boy's seek revenge from not being able to take on Jason, Darrly and Dean at the pool hall? Did they redecorate Peter's apartment?

Great chapter! Looking forward to reading more, good to know Peter will recover!

Benji,

That Dean finally got his wish is a double edged sword - as they say 'be careful what you wish for.'

As for your spoiler - no, nothing of the sort - the chapter will be up today or tomorrow so i won't leave you hangin as to what they find - but it isn't what you are thinking.

Andy

Wow, didn't even realize Second Shot had its own thread. Posted Image

This thing with Peter needs to be resolved quickly. I mean, in my heart, I just know he wakes up from the coma. However, if that's not the case...................well....................should I buy an extra large box of tissues? Posted Image

• Like 1

Chapter 34 is up. Jason returns to Peter's apartment for the first time since their fight - what does he find?

Chapter 34: Sins Of The Past Revisited

As promised, next chapter we will find out more about how Peter is doing. Then you can all get off the cliff I left you on :P

Andy

B)................... Well what he finds is remorse and guilt in Peter's apartment, not what I expected, however his need to protect Peter's bike leads me to conclude that it needed to be protected, so my previous conclusions may not have far off, just saying! 0:) I kinda of got the idea that the weekend with Dean was not over, so it made sense that they had a dialogue in this chapter that included the futures of them both. I was surprised at the interest the scout had in Jason, could it be that Jason has held the interest of the pros?

• Like 1

B)................... Well what he finds is remorse and guilt in Peter's apartment, not what I expected, however his need to protect Peter's bike leads me to conclude that it needed to be protected, so my previous conclusions may not have far off, just saying! 0:) I kinda of got the idea that the weekend with Dean was not over, so it made sense that they had a dialogue in this chapter that included the futures of them both. I was surprised at the interest the scout had in Jason, could it be that Jason has held the interest of the pros?

Hmm, when you put it like that, yes you are correct, it DID need protecting and the most likely to damage it would be those you suggest.

The Scout's interest might have been him being polite to Dean or it could be more - that won't be address any further. My idea was he would be invited to try outs for the national practice squad, but that was about as far as he got/gets. Probably should have left it out as it doesn't add much to the story but it was part of the conversation between he and Dean so I left it in.

Next chapter I will be interested to hear your take on things - not saying why, just curious 0:)

This thing with Peter needs to be resolved quickly. I mean, in my heart, I just know he wakes up from the coma. However, if that's not the case...................well....................should I buy an extra large box of tissues? Posted Image

Do you really expect me to tell you what happens next?? I did say more about Peter will be revealed next chapter so just a few more days. And not gonna say if you will need tissues or not, sorry [okay, I'm not really sorry,]

Andy

One of my favourite chapters... mainly for what we see the people doing about what they've been through!! Its easy to forget the real life in the midst of such a trying time.. Jason keeping a level head and doing stuff like watering pete's plants and taking care of the "Red Honda" ( it would have almost killed me if something happened to the bikePosted Image), while NOT freaking out, has made him a 'man" :D hee hee its really really nice to see Jason growing up (kinda)..

Jason's actions are really thoughtful and mature.. :):hug: to Jase.. :)

BTW, i was just curious.. Does this NOT make u feel like a proud father? I mean, he's ur baby after all?? the fact that he's growing up to be such a responsible and sensitive person!

:o how could it NOT?? :o

Lets now just wait and see what Jason's 'grown up' actions do for Pete! :P

• Like 1

One of my favourite chapters... mainly for what we see the people doing about what they've been through!! Its easy to forget the real life in the midst of such a trying time.. Jason keeping a level head and doing stuff like watering pete's plants and taking care of the "Red Honda" ( it would have almost killed me if something happened to the bikePosted Image), while NOT freaking out, has made him a 'man" :D hee hee its really really nice to see Jason growing up (kinda)..

Jason's actions are really thoughtful and mature.. :):hug: to Jase.. :)

BTW, i was just curious.. Does this NOT make u feel like a proud father? I mean, he's ur baby after all?? the fact that he's growing up to be such a responsible and sensitive person!

Lets now just wait and see what Jason's 'grown up' actions do for Pete! :P

To me this is Jason's real 'home.' They spend most of their time there with the occasional foray to Jason's apartment for the night. Sure it is 'Pete's Stuff' but Jason has a possessory feel for things since he was there so much - remember it was 'their bedroom.' The fight and uncertainty seems to have Jason uncomfortable with these feelings right now. Sure he wants things to be like they were, but there is a bit of doubt given their last conversation.

Not sure I feel like a proud poppa - sure this is my baby, but I am not near as attached to this as I am say my dogs. When the kid(s) arrive, I am sure those feelings will be stronger still. But still this does feel a part of me so perhaps.

Andy

So, next chapter we find out what happens to Peter eh??? I guess he's going to wake up as you have already told us that. I figure it's going to be his back that's the problem... how bad though, that's the question. I get the feeling that he's not going to be doing martial arts any time soon so there are going to be 3 issues as far as I can see it. 1.physical limitations, 2. how Peter comes to terms with not being able to do martial arts and therefore either giving up school or having to accept help and 3. how is he going to react to Jason 'going pro'. I'm very interested in finding out if I'm right and how it is going to unfold whether I'm right or wrong :)

Whatever happens I figure that Peter and Jason's relationship is in for a rocky time.

• Like 1

So, next chapter we find out what happens to Peter eh??? I guess he's going to wake up as you have already told us that. I figure it's going to be his back that's the problem... how bad though, that's the question. I get the feeling that he's not going to be doing martial arts any time soon so there are going to be 3 issues as far as I can see it. 1.physical limitations, 2. how Peter comes to terms with not being able to do martial arts and therefore either giving up school or having to accept help and 3. how is he going to react to Jason 'going pro'. I'm very interested in finding out if I'm right and how it is going to unfold whether I'm right or wrong :)

Whatever happens I figure that Peter and Jason's relationship is in for a rocky time.

Well Nephy, to answer this I suppose I will need to post chapter 35 - which I won't be tricked into doing just yet. But I don't believe I ever said anywhere that Peter wakes up or survives. I'm not saying he doesn't but IF he does, I think all your other points are valid. You are very tricksy tryng to get me to answer what everyone who has posted wants to know - nice try - 'oh you said he gets better' haha good one B)