The 10 Worst Things About Surburban Sprawl

Here's a slide show by author Jeff Speck about what are the worst things to deal with when it comes to living in the suburbs.The Ten Worst Things About Suburbs

Man. I hate suburban sprawl and the way it destroys our environment so damn much. Aside from the lost land, they cause higher waste, excerbate our dependence on oil, and a homogenization of the American cultural landscape. One good thing about this Recession was that it slowed down surbuban sprawl in my home state, which has basically been turned into one big suburb for Philadelphia and D.C.

When I'm in my 30's, I hope to live in a condo in a nice, funky, medium-sized city where I can walk everywhere and won't need a car. I want to be able to walk to my favorite bars, resturants, art galleries, mom & pop stores, etc. I'm staying as far away from suburban life as possible.

Are there any people here who managed to escape from the suburbs and found their quality of life was much better?

Haha, well I "escaped" the suburbs and ended up in the ghetto. :P But honestly, I like the suburbs. You still have great shopping, high quality of living, lower crimes rates, and like minded people tend to congregate together in suburbs, causing less problems. Now some people may see that last one as a bad thing, as it means no diversity. My ideal living spot would be a suburb right outside a major city, so you get the best of both worlds.

Well the suburbanism in the US shouldn't be as bad if the people who design them used brains... and sense. In this regard I'm pleased our suburbanization is not that developed. And due to our delay we won't repeat mistakes like those at the pics - school outside the city or a big shopping mall that is not reachable on foot. European cities have also great public transport systems - so I can't say I walk too much, but I don't have a car - and I don't need it that much. The only case when it would be more comfortable is just longer journeys (and "longer journey" means around 100 km here, so less than 100 miles...). And I make those cca twice a week - if I go to my hometown for the weekend.