Things you hate to read

• 1 year later...

The "token gay" character

The mirror catalogue

Kids or teens who sound like adults

Every setting looks like a postcard

I agree with all of these, but I'd like to add my two cents worth: When all or most of the characters in a story are queer, and no parades or clubs are involved. The Insiders, by Mark Oshiro, is a good example. Three different queer kids take refuge in janitorial closets at their respective schools, only to find themselves brought together by the room's mysterious ability to warp time and space. The book is well-written, and I enjoyed the story, but what made me roll my eyes, was a scene where one boy comes out to his dad and grandmother. His grandmother then admits that she had a relationship with a woman, prior to meeting his grandfather. Is that really the only way that a parent or grandparent can accept their child? By being queer themselves, or having a queer friend/sibling?

Also, The Insiders has a school resource officer named Kwame Mbalia. I don't know if this was meant to be Mr. Oshiro's nod to a colleague, or if it was intended as a placeholder name that didn't get checked, but I find it annoying when authors write characters that are named after celebrities. Or when characters are loosely based on a more famous character or person.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2021 at 7:54 AM, northie said:

Unthinking overuse of common tropes: everyone's fit, handsome; they all live perfect, monied lives (except for the wrinkle needed for the plot)

I think this thoroughly applies and is more acceptable for romantic-themed novels. Romance requires at least a dashing or pretty lead, unless, of course, the story of romance perpetuates a different outlook of looking average. But for dramatic stories, this is completely unessential. 

• Like 4

Things I hate to read:

• Boring sex. When you're writing about two people shagging intimately, there should be a drastic pull in whichever direction you want your readers to experience. Sex + (anger, greed, melancholy, regret, and other emotions) is what makes the scene interesting. Even adulterated erotica has to make sense otherwise. If you're just writing smut—unless that's the intention—then I salute you. But to layer it in a long-winded story and then add smut in between is very jarring without any implication of why it's there is basic Literotica.

Aimee Bender's Quiet Please. I really loved the simplicity of this scene.

It is quiet in the rest of the library.
    Inside the back room, the woman has crawled out from underneath the man. Now fuck me like a dog, she tells him. She grips a pillow in her fists and he breathes behind her, hot air down her back which is starting to sweat and slip on his stomach. She doesn't want him to see her face because it is blowing up inside, red and furious, and she's grimacing at the pale white wall which is cool when she puts her hand on it to help her push back into him, get his dick to fill up her body until there's nothing left of her inside: just dick.

It's not even that graphic, yet you could feel the scene second by second. The amount of times I've been bored reading sex scenes is beyond me.

• Like 4

This is all very interesting. The mirror description thing - I've definitely been guilty of that. More than once. 🫣

My 'thing I hate to read' is sex. To be more specific:

• Sex in chapter one between characters who've only just met or discovered an attraction to each other. Umm, hello? Unless it's a story about a one night stand, can't we at least try to develop the dramatic storyline before skipping straight to the fleshy part?
  • Sex in every chapter. So tedious to read about after a while.
  • Needlessly detailed anatomical/mechanical description of sexual acts. What does it really add to a story? To me it says very little about a relationship.

So yeah, I don't go looking for sex-heavy stories. I'm more interested in what's going on in the wider lives of the characters. If that happens to include sex, fine, but spare me the detail. It's the emotional take-aways I'm interested in, not the physical grunting.

• Like 4
On 7/15/2023 at 11:06 PM, LJCC said:

Things I hate to read:

• Boring sex. When you're writing about two people shagging intimately, there should be a drastic pull in whichever direction you want your readers to experience. Sex + (anger, greed, melancholy, regret, and other emotions) is what makes the scene interesting. Even adulterated erotica has to make sense otherwise. If you're just writing smut—unless that's the intention—then I salute you. But to layer it in a long-winded story and then add smut in between is very jarring without any implication of why it's there is basic Literotica.
  • It's not even that graphic, yet you could feel the scene second by second. The amount of times I've been bored reading sex scenes is beyond me.

I do think people go the "try hard.." route when they write sex scenes. They go into it thinking.. "my god this is so good it will get them off.." or.. they go into it thinking, "how can I make this hot...?" And I think the try hard mindset is easily read in the writing, because most usually there are a ton of words that do not belong. You know they added those words post edit when they've realized their epic sex scene was a baby paragraph or a quarter of a page and seemed more like premature ejaculation than anything else... :D And, I love the writers that use every synonym for semen and penis all wrapped up into one scene as well. Love... It. :P 

I like my sex to be intertwined with other aspects. Clumsy, Tense: either through the characters reeling from something else and they come together from that. I've not written angry sex though, I've merely joked about it afterwards with a character set. I like dialog during, not a shopping list or something out of the ordinary, just something to break up all the sweat, grabbing, and grunting.

I will admit to writing sex scenes and completely jumping over sex scenes when I read for fun. I don't have a lot of motivation to read a sex scene in fiction. I don't even read my own past the re-reading/beta/editing phase, I'll never admit to being a good writer of the act, if anything I am guilty and need to slap my own wrist. I honestly don't like them in films either. It is just something I don't want to view/read or whatever. But, I will write it... it is a struggle for me to go fade to black, or exit stage left. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
On 11/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, Valkyrie said:

I'm generally not a fan of mirror descriptions, although I have seen them done so they fit naturally in the story.  So I may roll my eyes, but not necessarily stop reading. 

Stories that get bogged down in detail. I don't need to know every single thing the person does in a day from waking up to going to sleep unless it moves the story forward or serves an actual purpose.  

I also can't stand it when children sound like adults.  A kindergartner shouldn't sound like your middle-aged best friend.  They're still learning language and have very limited life experience.  Teens don't generally use proper English or use vernacular from decades ago (unless the story is set in that particular decade, but I'm talking about stories set in the present). 

On 7/13/2023 at 1:45 AM, Krista said:

I get twitchy when every "homophobe" or "villain" is religious as well.  That is most certainly not the case and to see it depicted time and again gets old very quickly.  Pick different ways the antagonist exists in your character's world.  With that said, time period, culture, setting, and general geography may rely on the trope and overall arc.  If it is done in a new sort of light that feels fresh, I'm alright with it.

I think @Valkyrie and @Krista have expressed some of my frustrations.  

On children sounding like adults:  I used to work in a museum for almost ten years, and I saw the full range of children.  I especially saw bratty teens who needed basic manners a three-year-old should have already mastered.  I saw one five year old boy who talked with a better vocabulary than the majority of college educated adults.  When his grandparents wanted to stop looking in the museum, and go to the gift shop, he said -- "No, please!  I don't want to got to the gift shop!  I want to stay in the museum and keep learning!"  In another location, we sometimes associated with two highly educated persons raising their 7-year-old grandson.  Said grandson again had an extremely large vocabulary, wonderful manners, and a slightly shy personality.

But most children are NOT like that.  

Krista is right.  Not all homophobes and transphobes are religious nuts.    I have only seen one author (not on GA) who has really addressed this in his writing in more than a casual way.

As more than one has mentioned, there can be too much sexual interaction.  After a bit, it starts bogging the story down.  If the couple has known each other for 30 or forty chapters, and they have their first overt sexual interaction, that is one thing.  But the third paragraph of the first chapter?  There had better be a REALLY good reason.

Something that gets me?  Major inconsistencies.  If a character is "John" in the first paragraph, and suddenly is Herbert in the middle of the story with not a good explanation, and then is Ralph in the next chapter, while his sister goes from Carolyn to Elmeretta in two chapters -- the author is probably going to lose me.

Edited by ReaderPaul
  • Like 5
On 7/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, CasualWanderer82 said:

"First person" writing style. Basic plots. No character development. No conflict. If it checks any of these boxes, I'm usually out.

Might I ask what you so dislike about the first person style?

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, lawfulneutralmage said:

I'm not the original poster, but I'd like to answer on my behalf since I also feel the same way.

In 1st person POV, the reader is not informed of events that take place when the protagonist is absent or that affect characters other than the protagonist's inner thoughts and feelings, which makes first-person narrative difficult to read. The reader also isn't able to notice anything that the protagonist cannot. If the protagonist is unaware of anything, then neither is the reader.

There are fewer restrictions on the author while writing in the third person, especially in the third person omniscient. Because of this, the third person is more prevalent and is better suited to a larger variety of stories. But the first person is intimate—very intimate, like a friend holding your hand and guiding you through every room in the house. 

Given these conditions, it's very easy to NOT HAVE a voice when writing 1st POV stories. And the THE VOICE is what makes the 1st Pov distinct from the 3rd person POV.

Here's a shite example I wrote:

3rd POV:

• Ryan walked to the library and felt he was being followed. Eyes, he knew, were following his every step. They followed him wherever he went. Minutes more, and he would've gone crazy.

Hiding behind a bush was his best friend, Allan, waiting to surprise him. He chuckled inwardly, holding his mouth from all the laughter his stupid tricks would do his friend in.

Ryan shouted, "For the love of God, come out already!"

1st POV:

• I walked to the library while being followed. EYES! They were everywhere! I took every step with every breath; they followed me wherever I went. A few minutes more, and I would've gone crazy. The splitting wind swished the leaves of a nearby bush; I was sure someone was behind me. Was it crazy to think I was being followed home? My paranoia was soon to set in. But Jesus Christ, for the love of God! Come out already! No one did, so I walked faster. I'm not that stupid to let myself get killed.

The defining trait of first-person POV's is the character's voice. In the first few sentences, if you as a reader can't envision who the narrator is, it usually spells trouble that the story is boring AF.

That's why it's very hard to read 1st person stories that are badly written. The first paragraph usually helps me to drop the book or not.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lawfulneutralmage said:

It's just a personal preference. I believe, as both a reader and a writer, that the narrator (by definition an extension of the author) should exist outside the narrative, therefore capable of inhabiting any character at any given time. Emotional, visual descriptions also work better in the third person. First person is too constraining for me. Too "dear diary." Third person style conveys more freedom, allowing the reader to interpret the world through his own eyes, not a character's.

• Like 4