Gay Celebrities...

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do a gay celebrity has a social duty to come out publicly and become a role model for other?

• Of course they should!
    • If they want to
    • It's their personal live why should they make it public

Hmm, hard to say on some levels...

Definitely not something they should have to share if they don't want to.

Then again, i think the more celebrities who publicly come out the better.

But... then again. Ricki Martin. Seriously? Didn't everyone just go 'duh'???

It's their personal life; if a celebrity is out for the reasons he/she wants to be, it's fine.

The best role models are found around us, the real people, who live their life the way they want facing the everyday troubles and still making the most of it.

Coming out is a very personal thing. Sometimes the celebrity in question is a sex symbol, and it can do harm to his or her career to come out. Let's say it turned out that the front man of a pop rock band came out. It's quite possible that the band will have issues with lower album sales and lower turn out at concerts. There are exceptions of course. It didn't hurt Sara Gilbert, Ellen Degeneres, or Niel Patrick Harris at all. Still I think they're exceptions to the rule. Regardless, it's a choice that can have serious consequences. On the up side, the celebrity who comes out can be a role model for gay youth. There are pros and cons to both. Thus, it should be up to the celebrity in question.

Edited by Tiger

Should a celebrity be open or not....hmmm. Personal choice, but I would hope they would be open so that young people will learn that there is no shame attached to it.

If the celebrity is closeted but makes comments against, or moves to oppress gay people, I will be first in line to out them.

I had a few friends that were semi-well known local celebs, and ended our friendship by outing them after they made bigoted remarks against gays. If someone wants to be private, that's fine, if they want to be a hypocrite, I'll call them out.

• Like 1

Do you feel that a gay celebrities should come out publicly to become somewhat of a role model for others or they should simply live their sexuality private?

NO. And I will tell you why.

12 step programs have a tradition of insisting on anonymity for individual members at the level of press, radio and films.

This is to protect the 12 step program's reputation. It prevents an opportunistic person from becoming the "face" of the program. It also prevents embarrassing the program when the same jack@ss gets caught with a trunk full of coke and dead hookers.

Who would you want to public face of homosexuality to be? Perez Hilton? Harvey Firestein? Ricky Martin? Martina Navratilova?

All people are human and have feet of clay. Our opponents like to point out any and all of our quirks, flaws and weaknesses.

NO ONE should be the public "face" of homosexuality. We are too diverse: male and female, of all ethnicities and speak all languages.

We, as a people, should have no "face" other than the one in the mirror.

• Like 1

No, they have no obligation to other people to come out publicly and become a role model. Its their life and they can do as they please.

I strongly agree to the above, with one small exception. If a celebrity were to actively take stance as a role model and dish out moral/ethical platitudes about how things should be in society, then imo I think think they become sort of like of public servant and put their privacy at risk.

Oh, and if they were to be a hypocrite d-bag. biggrin.gif

But yeah, everyone should be entitled to their privacy.

I think its their own choice. Coming out should be a personal choice and not one you feel forced into by the community at large, Yes for some people role models are nice but somebody who is in that position willingly and not forced into it through badgering and pressure would make a much better role model.

Quite frankly anybody be that a celeb or a normal member of the public should be able to close their bedroom doors and get upto whatever they want (thats legal) without worrying if someones gonna run to a paper or film it and sell the footage

I thought Lady GaGa already named herself the face of homosexuality?

SMH

You mean, Lady Gaga is a gay man in drag. :unsure: Like RuPaul? :blink:

To answer the question put forth, No they 'Shouldn't' be required to do anything. Being an actor, politician, professional athlete, singer, whatever, is their profession. It should no more require them to divulge their personal life than being an electrician, lawyer, IT professional or whatever.

Should they be role models? Again no. Same reason. Doing something you love, shouldn't carry with it the requirement you tell people about your personal life or live up to some vague standard known as 'role model.'

The nice thing about freedom of speech and the like is you are free not to speak up as well.

Do you feel that a gay celebrities should come out publicly to become somewhat of a role model for others or they should simply live their sexuality private?

I know I'm always inspired by classical musician who are proud to be out and not afraid to share their lives with the world, however there's very few of them :/

You know some are gay, but they don't like talk about it, and it's frustrating sort of...

I think if they want to and they are comfortable with it, then yes they should.

I don't think they need to if they don't want to but on the other hand I don't like having my intelligence insulted either. If you're gonna be a celebrity and act incredibly gay then you should just come out and say you're gay instead of pretending.

No. When they do so, people kinda link their actions to the rest of us. But for some celebrities, it's the wise decision. Rather than have the press write incredible things about their private life they come out to clear all suspicion and all the baggage that comes with.

I know I'm always inspired by classical musician who are proud to be out and not afraid to share their lives with the world, however there's very few of them :/

You know some are gay, but they don't like talk about it, and it's frustrating sort of...

I think if they want to and they are comfortable with it, then yes they should.

Can't tell you why, but I always just fantasized about a budding relationship between two Josh's.

Joshua Bell and Josh Groban.

They play/sing soooo well together. :)

Steve³

Can't tell you why, but I always just fantasized about a budding relationship between two Josh's.

Joshua Bell and Josh Groban.

They play/sing soooo well together. :)

Steve³

Usually if they are straight they have in the last line of their bio who they are married too. Very common. There's always the fear of the rection if they're gay and come out. But I mean to be honest, never thought much of their looks.

What do you think of xavier? Gay or straight?

And inspiring to read:

http://www.towleroad.com/2010/06/gay-man-named-music-director-of-philadelphia-orchestra.html

Usually if they are straight they have in the last line of their bio who they are married too. Very common. There's always the fear of the rection if they're gay and come out. But I mean to be honest, never thought much of their looks.

What do you think of xavier? Gay or straight?

And inspiring to read:

http://www.towleroad...-orchestra.html

He can be straight. ;) IMHO just because he plays the harp (or that he's French :P) doesn't mean he's gay.