Everyone Loves Classical Music

Well, I love music in just about every category imagineable. I have a particular warm spot in my heart for grunge and some of the emo guys. The Ataris are my favorite band ever, and I love Foo Fighters. Just about anything by Chris Cornell (showing my age). But of course, I do love classical.

Btw, "classical" is an odd sort of misnomer, in my opinion. Strictly speaking, it should refer to just a slice of music, say, from Mozart's time, right? But not Bach. Not Brahms. Not Debussy. But we call it all "classical."

Anyway, it's hard to name favorites. That's like asking "what food do you like best?"

On any given day I'll answer differently. This morning, though, I'd choose the Bach Brandenburg Concerti. Specifically, #3.

Benjamin Zander! He's great! :D

And I LOVE Classical music, even without the persuasive experiment of Mr. Zander. ;):P

So who are your favourite composers and/or piece? :D

Paya I dont really have any :P I'm definitely in the middle group of people, who find it tolerable, if not enjoyable lol.

I too enjoy all sorts of music, but classical is loved especially well. My mother was a classical pianist and a favorite piece that she used to play, very UN-like the way it was written was called The Fifth Nocturne, by....AH! I can't think of who wrote it. She would pound the keys so fast and harshly, that afterward, the piano would need retuning!

But me default listening music is DANCE!

As an old geezer, ;) I have to vote for Beethoven's 5th symphony. While everyone is all too familiar with the first movement (da da da DUHHHHHH, etc.), I'd recommend gritting your teeth and sitting through the entire piece. Actually, my favorite part is the fourth movement, a real treat, with a poetic complexity.of melodies and harmony.

Go Bach or go home.

I much prefer most older music to current music. There are of course exceptions, I'm not so stuck in my ways that I can't appreciate good music in general. I just prefer a cleaner sound and properly hit notes, and while you can find that elsewhere, you can always find it in classical symphonies. That and mathematical brilliance.

To say I love classical music is so totally not necessary. The folks who know me here know that I'm passionate about it.

This brings a lot of thoughts to mind.

1) TED Awards - How I found one of my favorite orchestras, The Teresa Carreño Youth Orchestra of Venezuela (TED 2007)

2) Benjamin Zander! - I have his entire Mahler Cycle from Telarc records. Never heard his voice.

3) Passionate music playing! Watching the audience feel what I've felt for decades

4) Pleased that Sky brought this to us.

Steve³

As an old geezer, ;) I have to vote for Beethoven's 5th symphony. While everyone is all too familiar with the first movement (da da da DUHHHHHH, etc.), I'd recommend gritting your teeth and sitting through the entire piece. Actually, my favorite part is the fourth movement, a real treat, with a poetic complexity.of melodies and harmony.

oh oh oh! so that puts me in that category! :P well I dont care abt hat.. really I dont.. I'd like to add his 9th also!!!

One inspires and the other soothes :) :) (at least thats how it is for me! )

The rest! well, there are just too many to name! :P

Every Sunday after church, Dad would sit down at the piano and play until our little wood frame house was rocking on its foundations. Rachmaninoff and Grieg were his favorites, but he'd throw in a ragtime piece for a change, or learn a new, bombastic, late romantic piece.

In college, my friends were all classical musicians or actors, and I learned to listen more carefully. But I also grew more restless, listening to the same genre, if not the same compositions, all the time.

Now, I mostly listen to the radio, because I crave the changefulness of the present. It's too tempting to let one's ears (and thinking) fossilize. But for a rare treat, I love to go watch a classical performance.

classical music joke -

Q: Why did Bach have so many children?

A: Because there were no stops on his organ.

One time, several years ago, my then 15 year old stepson was teasing me about listening to classical music. I let him know that he listened to classical music too, he just didnt realize it. You see he and I always watched Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner cartoons together every Saturday morning and the music used there was frequently classical. At the moment I cant for the life of me remember the namesof the pieces used, but I know then that my stepson changed his way of thinking and a budding interest in classsical music was born. One of my big aha moments, most likely the same aha moment which ever adult it was that got me interested when I was teenager.

Every Sunday after church, Dad would sit down at the piano and play until our little wood frame house was rocking on its foundations. Rachmaninoff and Grieg were his favorites, but he'd throw in a ragtime piece for a change, or learn a new, bombastic, late romantic piece.

In college, my friends were all classical musicians or actors, and I learned to listen more carefully. But I also grew more restless, listening to the same genre, if not the same compositions, all the time.

Now, I mostly listen to the radio, because I crave the changefulness of the present. It's too tempting to let one's ears (and thinking) fossilize. But for a rare treat, I love to go watch a classical performance.

Your post made me chuckle. It reminded me of my own college dayz - they sort of coincided with the disco era. I was in the theater and danced to all sorts of music, from ballet to jazz to tap. A friend of mine owned a gay bar at the time, and I wound up teaching some of his employees how to strip..!

Too many years of cartwheels and back-flips has ruined my back, but I still love music. I hate listening to the same songs over and over as well, and that's why I NEVER listen to the radio. I love my iPod! It's been playing almost 24/7 for the past few years and it's usually set on random. Lady Gaga may be followed by Brahms or bring in some Billy Idol. I love the variety!

Edited by Tipdin