Name your favourite gay movie. What did you like best about it?

My two favorite gay movies are Latter Days and Shelter.

I noticed some gay movies really put it on too thick but those two are well done.

Oh. And yes they both have happy endings. :P

Edit: 100th post!

Edited by thephoenix

Latter Days

Shelter

also, Boy Culture. I don't know- i just really really enjoyed that one! lol.

Also there's a German movie (REALLY hard to find!) called "Fremde Haut" or 'Unveiled" in English (rubbish translation, actually). (edit : just my opinion...)

It's a film about an Iranian woman who is trying to get to Germany as a refugee because of her sexuality, but ends up in Germany under someone else's identity (disguised as a man) and falling in love with a German woman. I found it really beautiful, no sex, but really really lovely and deeply touching.

I have another like 5 to watch this week (hooray!) - looking forward to 'beautiful thing' now :D

Edited by Zolia Lily
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll toss in for "Trick" I watched it last night. It was way better than expected. I won't say that it was my "favorite" but it is on the rewatch list.

I think what I liked best about it is the journey the characters went on over the course of the "Trick". You could see their development. And by the end you were cheering for them and groaning over their stupidity. It just made me smile.

The 1989 Movie "Torch Song Trilogy", the first Gay Movie I ever saw and was the film adaptation of the Broadway Play by the same name. There was a great cast that included Anne Bancroft, Matthew Broderick, and Harvey Feinstein. It had great acting and a good story that was both funny and sad. If you've never seen it I suggest you rent it.

I don't know if I would call them my favorites, but a few that really stand out for me are The Trip, Make the Yuletide Gay and I Think I Do. The first one really grabbed me and even though there is a sadness to it, it still left me feeling hopeful. Yuletide is just a feelgood movie all the way around in my opinion - lighthearted, a touch of comedy, and of course a bit of the sap fest. And the last one just brought out the romantic mush boy in me - but I'll deny it if anyone repeats that!

My favorite gay movie was A Home At the End of the World. I just thought the soundtrack was brilliant - "Only You" and "It's Going to Take A Miracle"? Awesome.

In terms of fun, I really liked Trick and Girls Will Be Girls. Dorian Blues and The Curiousity Of Chance also get honorable mentions.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

My favorite by far is the 1985 film Kiss of the Spider Woman. I've seen a few movies that featured (a) gay lead character(s), but Kiss of the Spider Woman was definitely a classic, and although it wasn't terribly romantic, it's definitely memorable. The quote below is from IMDB.

Luis Molina and Valentin Arregui are cell mates in a South American prison. Luis, a homosexual, is found guilty of immoral behaviour and Valentin is a political prisoner. To escape reality Luis invents romantic movies, while Valentin tries to keep his mind on the situation he's in. During the time they spend together, the two men come to understand and respect one another.

Guest Abercrombie1987
My favourite gay movie is......... Brokeback Mountain, because of Jake Gyllenhal, he's so hot in it...........

My favorite gay movies are:

Shelter - just because the older guy was hot and the storyline was very relatable.

Soldier's Girl - Lee Pace was extremely good in this movie as he was playing a transexual. I could probably want him, even if Lee Pace do eventually become a tranny because he was hot as hell and very pretty too.

Get Real - The Storyline of high school love and coming out is interestingly told in this movie. Very well made.

Just a question of love (french film) or Juste une Question D'Amour - really a good gay drama that involves family, with regards to coming terms with one's sexuality.

I'll toss in for "Trick" I watched it last night. It was way better than expected. I won't say that it was my "favorite" but it is on the rewatch list.

I think what I liked best about it is the journey the characters went on over the course of the "Trick". You could see their development. And by the end you were cheering for them and groaning over their stupidity. It just made me smile.

Trick made me kind of want to laugh and cry at the same time. It's like everyone's nightmare of a date that just goes horribly wrong. Doesn't hurt that the main character is adorable.

Has anyone ever seen Summer Storm? I saw part of a preview and it seemed interesting.

I don't think that I've seen my favorite "gay" movie yet. Too many focus on stereotypes and others focus on sex.

Movies are made for profit and its rare that production houses venture into territory that might harm their bottom line.

I just saw another great Argentine movie. It's called "Plan B". I loved it because it was marketed as this really wacky romcom but it's so quiet meditative, and very natural. The chemistry between the 2 leads was awesome. It's avail thru Wolfe Releasing. Highly recommend it!

I agree about A Home At the End of the World and Soldier's Girl...love both of them!

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Why I like it:

- Hugo Weaving in drag, Guy Pearce in drag

- The bus with the drag queens on top

- Ping pong balls o_O

- Bob and Bernadette

...and the accepting nature of Tick's son at the end of the movie

Did I mention the soundtrack? Not really an Abba fan at all, but this was great.

Edited by One Cheap Suit
  • Like 1

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert

Why I like it:

- Hugo Weaving in drag, Guy Pearce in drag

- The bus with the drag queens on top

- Ping pong balls o_O

- Bob and Bernadette

...and the accepting nature of Tick's son at the end of the movie

Did I mention the soundtrack? Not really an Abba fan at all, but this was great.

:lol: It's true that after watching Priscilla, you'll never see Elrond or Agent Smith in quite the same light again. :lol:

Two movies that have not been mentioned already and are very good are:

Patric 1,5

Cowboys and Angels

Well acted, well written, both stand up outside the purely "gay movie" category.

Brokeback Mountain. Enough said.

All Over The Guy.

Ssang-hwa-jeom (English title: A Frozen Flower). It's a Korean movie, and I think it's more about loyalty and jealousy than homosexuality, but I'd say the latter is important all the same.

Fingersmith. This story takes place in 19th century England. A young woman, named Susan, takes part in a conspiracy that should result in a lot of money for the conspirators. Essential is that she wins the trust of another girl, Maud. The two develop feelings for each other.

Were The World Mine. It's hilarious, but still kind of cute :)

Not a movie, but even so: Lip Service. Also called "the British The L-World". That says all, I think :)

While it's certainly not my favorite, I'd still like to mention Raging Sun, Raging Sky, the original title being Rabioso Sol, Rabioso Cielo. The characters don't talk much, which puts more emphasis on the visual aspect of the movie. It's mostly a black-and-white movie as well, and it's very unusual. This is a movie that'll stay with me for quite some time.