Name your favourite gay movie. What did you like best about it?

• 3 weeks later...

Sommersturm (Summer Storm in English). Its a great and very cute coming of age movie set in the backdrop of a rowing regatta. The movie is in German but it has English subtitles. Plus, it has a bunch of cute German boys and a couple of very erotic scenes in it. Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TetRefine
  • Like 1

Forgive me if this has been mentioned already - but I cannot go past Priscilla: Queen of the Desert.

THE most fabulous movie ever :D Guy Pearce and Hugo Weaving in the early days - a MUCH better measure of their acting skills than anything else!!!

And the costumes- THE COSTUMES!!! :D

Weekend 2011

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1714210/

Gay Indie Brit flick released this month. Two guys meet and fall in love over a weekend. IMDB and Daily Telegraph rave reviews.

Sounds like this could be a favourite movie. Has anyone seen it?

Yes! Its brilliant. It is actually what I was going to say. Its amazing! Far more realistic and truthful than most. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkC7xHAfxm4

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! Its brilliant. It is actually what I was going to say. Its amazing! Far more realistic and truthful than most. Check it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkC7xHAfxm4

They say "Weekend" is a "mainstream" film, but I like it anyway <not that I'm hipster>.

However, there are some interesting gay films that I've watched:

1) The Curiosity of Chance

2) J'ai Tue Ma Mere (I Killed my Mother) by Xavier Dolan

3) Happy Together by Wong Kar Wai

5) El Malas Companas (short film)

6) Thirteen or So Minutes (short film)

7) Kaboom! by Gregg Araki

8) Mysterious Skin by Gregg Araki

HOH. Please watch and tell me what you think. :D

you've covered a lot of good ones. I think edge of seventeen is my vote.

Something about that first time experience.(s)

kudos go to:

Nobody said -shortbus-too over the top???

Latter days-JGL-my crush

shelter

get real- for sure

Dream boy

mudge boy-good-kinda odd

Summerstorm-excellent

i love...Phillip morriss-good-odd/ too?

Beautifulthing-classic

Were the world mine

L.I.E.-OK-not great

Awakening-dutch,I think no danish-not bad

C.R.A.Z.Y.-very well done

Before the storm

Savage Grace-strange-supposedly true

Red Dirt-been awhile- think was good

Romeos kiss-short film-OK

Running with scissors-cant recall plot lines

Dare-quite good

James-good short-Are we counting shorts?

Tan Lines-Eye candy if I remember

Summer Blues-might be a short too

A Single Man?-another classic

A summer Dress

I've found some I have to watch again

A bunch I have'nt seen yet were mentioned

Edited by JOeKEool

There are a lot of bad gay movies out there. I thought Brokeback Mountain was first-rate, probably the best of the lot. But I also enjoyed Sommersturm a great deal, as well as Get Real and Shelter. I liked Latter Days, although some aspects of the plot are a little pedestrian--still, you gotta love Steve Sandvoss.

I guess I gotta go with Arbour and a number of the rest of you and pick Beautiful Thing as my favorite. Not necessarily the best gay-themed movie I've seen; just my favorite. The plot is entertaining; the soundtrack is great; the boys are charming; and the story grabs you.

I guess I would have to say that one of my favorite movies would be "Airzona Sky". This deals with two childhood freinds who in thier own time, come to terms with the feelings they have so long have pushed aside. It is slow in certain parts, but the over all effect can not be denied. I would suggest this movie to anyone. It makes me cry.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna say Birdcage. It's not necessarily about the gay characters, but Robin Williams and Nathan Lane (especially Nathan Lane) make an absolutely wonderful team. I've always adored Nathan and he is so wonderfully, over the top fem that it's just so dang comical. I know that's what they're going for. Great fun.

Hmmm. Well I've seen a LOT of gay movies. I broadcast them once upon a time on the net.

I usually consider a 'gay' movie any movie that depicts a GLBTI character in a good light. So... in no particular order, here are some you might consider looking up.

Philadelphia

Bent

My Beautiful Landrette

Jeffrey

C.R.A.Z.Y.

Angels In America

Fried Green Tomatos

Mambo Italiano

Noah's Arc:Jumping the Broom

Big Eden

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Torch Song Trilogy

XXY

Kinky Boots

Make the Yuletide Gay

Puccini For Beginners

Ode to Billy Joe

Mango Kiss

Running with Scissors

Soldiers Girl

Spider Lillies

The World Unseen

Outting Riley

Strawberry And Chocolate

High Art

The 24th Day

The Chinese Botanists Daughter

Trick

Bitch Slap

The Gymnast

Lust in the Dust

The Runaways

The Mostly Unfabulous Life of Ethan Green

To Wong Foo

Under the Tuscan Sun

Boys On the Side

American Beauty

Star Trek : Blood and Fire

Broken Hearts Club

Desert Hearts

Gia

Edge of Seventeen

Hellbent

Nowhere

Heathers

He Died With a Felafel in His Hand

Kinder Gottes

Kissing Jessica Stein

Los Novios Bulgaros

Our Sons

Consenting Adults

Peacock Good

Burnt Money

Serving in Silence

Strapped

The Doom Generation

The Sum of Us

(that is a TINY TINY fraction of the GLBTI flicks I have on my hard drive) I was addicted to GLBTI media for a while heheh

I hope that at least some of these haven't been mentioned yet. I tried not to state the more obvious ones. If there's one here that's not on your list you should check them out.

Many of the ones above are gay, lesbian, some are transgender and some are interesex.

Take care!

Have to say, My Beautiful Laundrette, and the Fruit Machine fom the eighties and Priest from the nineties. Shank is an excellent one for a more modern feel.

For fun I like the Donald Stratchy detective movies. Pity there aren't more than 4

Good Will Hunting

OK, it's not a "gay" gay movie but:

- it's got Matt Damon (surely that's enough reason? Posted Image)

- and there's obvious male love between Will and his best friend

- and also (by the end) between Will and the Robin Williams character

Plus - the icing on the cake - it has such a winning premise: low life janitor outsmarts the collective brains of privileged and intelligent college students.

What's not to love about this film?

I've watched dozens of gay-themed movies but the one that touched me most was a French film called Un Amour à Taire (A Love To Hide).

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444518/

It's a tragic movie that depicts the persecution of homosexuals during WW2. I went through so many emotions watching this one. I feel like everyone should watch it at least once. But the sad thing is it was made for TV, and even online it's hard to find.

• Like 1

I've watched dozens of gay-themed movies but the one that touched me most was a French film called Un Amour à Taire (A Love To Hide).

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444518/

It's a tragic movie that depicts the persecution of homosexuals during WW2. I went through so many emotions watching this one. I feel like everyone should watch it at least once. But the sad thing is it was made for TV, and even online it's hard to find.

You're right. We all know what the Nazis did to the Jews (excepting Holocaust deniers, of course), but less well know is the systematic persecution and murder of homosexuals. And even less well known is the appalling tragedy for those homosexuals who survived the Nazis.

After the war ended, the political and remaining Jewish prisoners were released from the camps (regular criminals were not immediately released) but the homosexual prisoners were never released because Paragraph 175 (a clause in German law which prohibited homosexual relations) remained West German law until 1969 when it was moderated (but not finally abolished until 1994). So these poor innocent men, whose only crime was to be gay, watched as their fellow prisoners were set free, but they remained prisoners for up to 24 more years.

You're right. We all know what the Nazis did to the Jews (excepting Holocaust deniers, of course), but less well know is the systematic persecution and murder of homosexuals. And even less well known is the appalling tragedy for those homosexuals who survived the Nazis.

After the war ended, the political and remaining Jewish prisoners were released from the camps (regular criminals were not immediately released) but the homosexual prisoners were never released because Paragraph 175 (a clause in German law which prohibited homosexual relations) remained West German law until 1969 when it was moderated (but not finally abolished until 1994). So these poor innocent men, whose only crime was to be gay, watched as their fellow prisoners were set free, but they remained prisoners for up to 24 more years.

If you get the chance, you might watch Bent. A great movie. Mick Jagger plays a drag queen ;) It's much more than that of course. It's a pretty amazing flick. It depicts the basic debasing and murder of homosexuals during that time. As for the movie "A Love To Hide" I'm going to try to find it. It sounds really interesting.

• Like 1