Little by little

As a reader (not clever enough to write) I prefer to read the WHOLE book and I find it quite infuriating when things come to an "unfinished" end.

NOW I have discovered "on hold" and "in process" I only choose COMPLETE.

What do other readers think about having to wait for the rest of the story..

Pabz

• Site Administrator

It varies for me. I will sometimes follow chapter stories but I will admit, it does drive me a bit batty. I have a hard time with it because I read so very much that even I have a hard time keeping the stories in the right storyline. They seem to like to blend on me which isn't good. I will admit to posting serial stories on here for the most part though. I don't mind when people tell me they are waiting for it to be finished, because I can understand.

P.S. This is how my beta reading came into being. I kept harassing all of my writers for more material to read. After that... it just snowballed into, well tell me what you think and then to gradually giving more and more information. For the most part I get either sneak peeks at chapter stories being written or the whole shebang at once before they chapter post it here. I love teasing Nephy's readers especially!!! :devil:

<_< cia.... evil woman.

Well I would always prefer a complete story but I read them if they're 'in progress' as long as I know the writer will post semi frequently as in once every two-three weeks at least lol.

That is quite hypocritial of me seeing as though how I post gets quite random, depending on how much I've managed to write and get edited.

But yeah, I've got used to 'in progress' stories and seeing as though the majority of stories are 'in progress' stories it helps :)

I agree. I almost always make sure a story says complete before reading it. I will sometimes make an exception for a story from someone who updates regularly though or if the premise sounds really good. Usually I'll read the end of the last posted chapter to make sure it doesn't end in a cliffhanger then read whatever's been released so far.

• Site Moderator

Some authors will wait until they have completed a story before they begin posting it.

Some will get several chapters ready before they start posting and continue writing. The problem here, something can come along that can put the author behind. For example, an author can get sick and not feel like writing. The authors editor could have computer problems and not be able to get the chapter back in a timely fashion. These are a couple of things that I've seen happen.

For myself as a reader, depending upon how long the wait is, I may go back and re-read what I've already read to get back into the story. One story that I read was last update back in January and the next chapter will be coming out soon as I beta read for the author.

I just read what ever is interesting to me. I follow many stories in process, but at the moment I have put even some of my personal favorites on hold to help me focus better on the actual reading. I have found it hard to follow too many stories at once. I do this "step back" every couple months then the reading frenzy spirals back on :P

I used to look for only the 'complete', but it got limiting, so I started reading 'in progress' Now I've got 4-5 stories on the go. The authors all post at approximately the same time, so it become a reading frenzy :2thumbs: . But I find that frequently I have to go back to the previous chapter and re-read some bits again. Which isnt a problem, because I love these stories.

I never, ever start posting a story before it's finished but yes, I do post chapter by chapter purely because I am a review whore.

I believe that many readers rate a story, and therefore make a decision as to whether they should read it, by virtue of how many review's it's had. That being the case, no matter how good the story is it's not going to get enough reviews if it is posted all in one go.

as far as my reading is concerned I follow so many authors and stories that I couldn't cope with reading more than a chapter or two in one sitting.

• Like 1

For me i think the issue is more that if i am enjoying a good story and all the chapters are available i will read until i drop. I am the same way with television series. If i download an entire season I know i am going to watch one after the other until i fall unconscious.

I don't really see why chapter by chapter is all that different from a televison series. After all there is a concluding pause between chapters which allows a person to stop reading to catch breath or to do something else. I suppose if the next installment was months away it could get annoying. Or perish the thought, if the author lost interest and left the audience hanging indefinately. But if a regular dose was available, I think chapter by chapter is a good way to pace one's self.

Ok so I might be the minority here. I prefer stories that are 'in process' since I don't have much time to read. Just looking at the high number of words on completed works usually puts me off, whereas if the stories are in process, I can read the chapter as they are posted. Yeah I know, it sounds weird, but that's how I read *shrugs*

I agree it can be frustrating waiting for updates, but at the same time I appreciate all the time and effort that authors put in to their stories for us to enjoy. They also have an offline life to live as well.

I usually only go for completed stories which limits the frustration, although from time to time I do read ones that are in process if it looks really interesting. Some of my fav's are still incomplete, like "GFD" and other work by comicality, and some will most likely never be completed like "Perry and Jesse" by underthehoodster. -- So yeah I usually stick to completed, and scroll through GA's archives for all the new completed ones.

I never, ever start posting a story before it's finished but yes, I do post chapter by chapter purely because I am a review whore.

I believe that many readers rate a story, and therefore make a decision as to whether they should read it, by virtue of how many review's it's had. That being the case, no matter how good the story is it's not going to get enough reviews if it is posted all in one go.

as far as my reading is concerned I follow so many authors and stories that I couldn't cope with reading more than a chapter or two in one sitting.

You have no idea how hard it is to NOT comment about something that you already know. :(

You have no idea how hard it is to NOT comment about something that you already know. :(

Yes, I do, I cannot tell people how the story goes, or comment on reviews/guesses as not only cannot I give away what happens but I cannot say anything that will set people on a false trial. Since I only know a small part of the story ( and this sometimes changes) "It is safer, to say nought". Even when suggestions in the forum are impossible? Posted Image

With very few exceptions, I'm in the "wait for it to be complete" camp, mainly because I'm an extremely impatient person and I can't stand waiting to find out what happens next. The anticipation drives me crazy. Every once in a while though, a story description will grab my attention enough and I'll dive in whether it's done or not. I'm currently only letting myself follow two "in process" stories, Nephylim's "The Face in the Window" and KingdombytheSea's "Social Skills". I am loving both of them, and I'm glad I went ahead and took the plunge, but damnation is it rough to wait for the next chapters!