Two mild gripes.

Adam Phillips

1. Obviously, alphabetically-advantaged authors get placed at the head of the "authors" listing at G.A. Stories, and there's nothing inherently fair about that. But it really annoys me to see authors who begin their screen names with punctuation marks just to get to the top of the list. Why not just create a nom de plume that starts with an "a" if you're so all-fired bound and determined to be at the top? Posted Image

2. In a perfect world, I'd have separate alphabetical listings for Hosted Authors, Promising Authors, Authors, Poets, Validateds, and Newbies.

But nobody asked me. So I'll just shut up now and continue on with my snail-like production schedule. Posted Image

• Like 1

1. Obviously, alphabetically-advantaged authors get placed at the head of the "authors" listing at G.A. Stories, and there's nothing inherently fair about that. But it really annoys me to see authors who begin their screen names with punctuation marks just to get to the top of the list. Why not just create a nom de plume that starts with an "a" if you're so all-fired bound and determined to be at the top? Posted Image

That is why I find that FedEx AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Auto Repair ad so funny and I so don't miss phonebooks.

• Site Administrator

Well, Hosted and Promising Authors still have the Author tab listing independent of GA Stories as well, so they're not exactly lost in the mix everywhere. That's where I found the people I read first on the site when I joined.

actually I have to agree with the leading spaces, underscores, and punctuation. I really don't think they should be allowed AT THE START of a display name. It's annoying when having to hunt people down in members too.

"2. In a perfect world, I'd have separate alphabetical listings for Hosted Authors, Promising Authors, Authors, Poets, Validateds, and Newbies."

Sounds like a plan to me, maybe Myr and the other powers that be will notice and consider....and not reject out of hand.

• Like 1

ok FYI and teachable moment...

go to GA Stories

click on the browse by (in left hand box) AUTHORS

at the top a search box comes up

it says FILTER BY -- pick one. click UPDATE

There ya go.

go to GA Stories

There ya go.

Duh. I should have checked stuff out before I griped. Thanks.

• Site Administrator

Also... Click AUTHORS on the top menu bar. It lists Hosted and Promising Authors.

I'm not sure how I could possibly make that link more prominant... blinking neon lights, perhaps? :P

And Lugh covered your other request nicely.

go to GA Stories

There ya go.

This is true, but why not make that the default option as you click on authors? Or even by number of words written, or recommended?

• Site Administrator

It is not defualt because there are several options to automatically sort. Prolific Authors, as Lugh points out, does this. Further, you can resort the Prolific Author list by Word Count, Number of Stories, Reputation.

It is already in the software...

• Site Administrator

Yep. Not only is the author sorting very versatile by various means but look at your basic search options. Author Group, Category, Genre, Tags, Status, Rating, and Length. AND you can arrange the results by title, publish date, or last update. AND you can choose to include peer review (usually newer) authors or not.

GA Stories is fully customizable for readers when it comes to finding the type of stories that you want to read. The basic author search is one small facet of the options for readers. I know when I find new story sites I rarely search or choose what I want to read over an author's name. I go for story type, or title at least, because that gives me some idea of the content I'm looking at. I would think most people are similar.

We get the gripe, and some agree, but it's just the way the system reads names. We just want to point out that there are many many other ways around that one part of GA Stories.