Suggested European Meet Up: September 2012 - Paris

Hello Everyone

On behalf of those of us that attended the meet in August, I would like to invite you to another meet up in 2012.

The location will be the brilliant City of Lights: Paris! Of course Posted Image

We would hope to do the meet in September (because that is when Jian joins the lovely Bleu in Paris as well!).

Hope as many people come this time as they did last time!

I'll leave it to the french members to give me directions... Considering my directions to the british museum last time were incredibly wrong... God help us all... Posted Image

So, Who would be interested in going to Paris next year?

• Like 1

I am all for this idea :)

Jian's visit is subject to evil red tape like visas and stuff Posted Image but otherwise September sounds like the best bet.

With enough notice, I can come up with a nice programme.

John, you really are an evil overlord in training! This is your post #666! :o

I am all for this idea Posted Image

Jian's visit is subject to evil red tape like visas and stuff Posted Image but otherwise September sounds like the best bet.

With enough notice, I can come up with a nice programme.

John, you really are an evil overlord in training! This is your post #666! Posted Image

ooo so glad you know your way :P

And eep! I have that many posts :P i'm evil i tell you :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really sure if it is doable for me and Westie as we planned moving in together for either late August or early September... So 1) our finances might be strained to max, 2) we will be busy settling down, job hunting and all. And we don't know how the economy is going to look next year...

Other than that I'd love to go - the more it gets towards the END of the month the better. But since I'm giving it 20-30 % chance we would manage the trip, don't feel obliged to set the date around my/our wishes.

I'm not really sure if it is doable for me and Westie as we planned moving in together for either late August or early September... So 1) our finances might be strained to max, 2) we will be busy settling down, job hunting and all. And we don't know how the economy is going to look next year...

Other than that I'd love to go - the more it gets towards the END of the month the better. But since I'm giving it 20-30 % chance we would manage the trip, don't feel obliged to set the date around my/our wishes.

Yeah. Paris is very expensive in my view.... at least for the level of hotel comfort I have come to expect (**I'm NOT a snob!**). and Given our proposed move, I really don't see any room in our expenditure for this. Now, if anyone wanted a road trip.... they can drive with us from North West England to Southern Czech Republic (1500 miles).... and while you are driving with us.... you couldn't help us move some boxes could you?? :P

• 3 weeks later...

I feel this sudden urge to say that I am going to try and go :) I want to go to Paris terribly bad and what better way! If finances work well for me this year I may be able to be graced with all of your wonderful presences.

• 1 month later...

Here some infos about Paris, my second Mother town !

To find cheap 'AND' nices hotels in Paris ?

Here two hôtels I like particularly. Each time I go to Paris, I have a problem to choose one of the two, depending of my humor and my agenda :

The first one is The hotel Henri IV, situated on one of the most beautiful squares in Paris, the Place Dauphine, at the very heart of the capital, in a quiet location where the charm of Old Paris remains intact. You will find yourself on the Ile de la Cité, historical cradle of Paris and discover la Place Dauphine, a few steps from Notre-Dame and the Louvre Museum, and nearby Boulevards Saint-Germain-des-Prés and Saint-Michel.

The site is : http://www.henri4hotel.fr/home.html

In the shade of chestnut trees, this place was named in honor of the son of Henri IV, Louis the Dauphin (the future Louis XIII). The great King Henry (the Green Gallant) who completed the Pont Neuf, instructed his minister Sully to build this place which was a royal garden in 1608, 400 years ago. Of the thirteen existing plots, the thirteenth was sold for 2400 livre tournois ("Tours pound"). Each floor was level and on the ground floor was a goldsmith (with an illustration of Saint-Peter). In 1840 Michel Leonard bought the building and transformed it into a hotel named the Henri IV hotel calling it after the square’s creator.

Its prices match its customers: students from all countries, professors, writers, artists, researchers (the Latin Quarter is not far away). Safety standards have demanded the removal of some rooms, creating a slight price increase. Despite this, prices remain reasonable about (75 Euros) and the price / quality ratio is underlined by all.

The other one is the Hotel Villa Fénelon, a haven of peace and calm in the heart of the bustling city of Paris. The rooms of this old townhouse, all decorated in Louis XVI style, look out over a delightful garden where travellers will discover the calm and relaxing side of Paris.

The sites where you can find more are :

http://www.gralon.ne...n-paris-961.htm

http://www.cybevasio...enelon_218.html

Another search possibility on Internet are the more gay friendly hotels, especially these in the Marais.

The Parisian attitude toward sexual preferences is very relaxed and very pragmatic. Vending machines for condoms have recently been installed in high schools. You also find condom vending machines at Metro stations. When it comes to Paris nightlife, the Parisian scene abounds with transformist night clubs, and after hours clubs with a predominantly gay flavor.

Paris’s official tourist office site offers a listing of gay-friendly hotels and suggestions for your stay in the “City of Love.” Here is a city where you can walk hand-in-hand and feel truly at home.

Paris’s Marais district may be considered the epicenter of Paris’s gay community, but you’ll find that this city has plenty to offer gay visitors, especially when it comes to nightlife in various arrondissements, so don’t limit yourself to just one neighborhood. Some of Paris’s hottest night spots are gay-oriented.

Here some sites about gay hotels :

http://paris.gayciti...-central-marais (it seems that it is closed today (?)

http://paris.gaycities.com/hotels/

http://paris.gayciti...le-marais-paris

http://www.parislogue.com/gay-paris

http://www.paris-gay.com provides an ample selection of bars, clubs and cafes to help you find the party.

The main Paris gay area can be found around arondisement 3 and 4, in Le Marais and near shopping mall Les Halles. Here you'll find the popular bars and clubs, gay sauna's, trendy clothing shops and nice gay restaurants. If you're clever, take a hotel on walking distance of this area.

Paris hotels are quite expensive and small (cheapest prices for one night : between 49 and 65 Euros). That is: you can barely turn your ass around in the room. The rating for hotels is 1 - 4 stars, so a "5 star hotel" in Paris got 4 stars. Hotels outside the centre are cheaper. But remember the metro stops at midnight and in weekend it's sometimes hard to find a taxi.

Good luck in your search !

BTW, I'm sure Bleu can, even better than I do, give you also adresses of a lot of cheap and nice places Posted Image .

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

BTW, I'm sure Bleu can, even better than I do, give you also adresses of a lot of cheap and nice places Posted Image .

Thanks for all this info, Bob.

Although I know Paris, I never had to stay in a hotel there :P I'll be a bit more useful about restaurants, and much more useful about museums and bookstores :)

And I will look up gay bars too :P

• Like 1