Chapter Titles

Riley Jericho

When it comes to putting together a Table of Contents for a GA story, there seem to be a number of ways to go. Some authors stick with a fairly straightforward approach: Chapter One, Chapter Two etc. Some like to name their chapters with their own individual title.

On top of that, some use the opportunity to add a chapter note. These can be simple, eg 'In this chapter, Bill meets Fred', or more complex, going into the chapter theme in more depth.

So, as readers, what do you prefer to see, and why? For those writing, what do you like to produce, and in what way does it serve your story?

Riley

As a reader, I prefer the straightforward chapter 1,2,3 etc. Also with chapter notes, not too big a fan unless the author needs to specifically say something about the chapter, I.e. if there needs to be a warning about content.

Chapter number ONLY -- anything else can go into the chapter heading within the story. Chapter numbers are the only way of sorting files when your are downloading, waiting until the story is finished and then reading.

"Storm Front" is a good example of a nonconventional format for chapter 'numbering'. I waited a very long time before jumping into that pool of jumbled mess. The downside was unfortunate, because the story itself was very enjoyable -- unfortunatly the story is still evolving.

When writing I stick with chapter 1, chapter 2 etc and don't use chapter notes. The only exception is my collection of prompt responses where I use the prompt number and include a description of the prompt in the chapter note.

When reading I don't mind what the author uses as long as it's a good story. I loved the chapter titles used in Kombat Kids, unique and very funny.

Personally I like named chapters, but only if they're funny/clever/intentionally bad jokes. Generic ones like "Tim meets Andy" and stuff like that seem kinda pointless and don't give me much hope for the actual story.

• Like 1

• Site Administrator

I think there is a place for both.

I'll use C James or an example. He seems to put a lot of thought into his titles as his readership are trying to guess what will happen next in his stories. Usually his titles will have a double meaning, be ironic, or be totally misleading. It is interesting to go back after reading the chapter and see why he decided to use that title.

He does number them though, so he would please people who do like the numbers. Like now I think he is on Chapter 115 of his current story that he predicted 30-35 chapters for :P

I can understand why people would go just with a number though, if you are worried you might be giving away the chapter by the title, then probably best not to use them.

So I will sit on the fence on this one :)

As an author, I use chapter titles, because it helps me if I need to go back and look for something in a previous chapter, for referrence. It narrows down my search.

I've done both and I think as an author I prefer chapter numbers only. As a reader it doesn't really help or hurt my experience.

I do like Bill's comment about about being able to go back and find something. In The Trial of Jordan Colmar having titles really makes it easier for me to find what part of the story is where. But all in all, I find coming up with titles can be a pain to get right. So I think I'm leaning toward no more titles.

As a reader, I don't like chapter titles. They can sometimes give away big events that are going to happen in the chapter before they ever happen. For example, I'm currently reading Larry Bond's Vortex and he uses chapter titles for each chapter. I have been able to guess the outcome of three!!! major plot developments in the story before even reading them. I've gotten to the point where I cover up the chapter titles so it doesn't spoil the plot developments.

For myself, I've used both. If I use a chapter tile, there needs to be a purpose; it has to form part of the story, as much as the paragraphs that follow. I tend to end up with the quirky! I guess, to be honest, it's with the hope that a good title will attract a potential reader.

What about the chapter synopsis? For those reading, do you want it in a nutshell for you, so you know something of where the chapter is going?

I usually use just numbers... mainly I have to say because i'm lazy rather than because I've thought about it.

If I do use chapter titles I use numbers as well, and I agree that chapter headings shouldn't give away too much about what goes on in the chapter and should just tease.

As far as chapter notes are concerned, I don't think I've ever used them. I keep thinking I should put in links to forums or something but I've never yet remembered when I'm actually there.

Have you been able to guess CJames cliff hanger behavior? Figure out the outcome of his novels?

As a reader, I don't like chapter titles. They can sometimes give away big events that are going to happen in the chapter before they ever happen. For example, I'm currently reading Larry Bond's Vortex and he uses chapter titles for each chapter. I have been able to guess the outcome of three!!! major plot developments in the story before even reading them. I've gotten to the point where I cover up the chapter titles so it doesn't spoil the plot developments.

people who worry that they can't have headings because they'd "know the ending" worry me. Reading is NOT about the ending, its the journey.Perhaps this is a sign of age. Gen whatever (under 30), learn, experience the journey; it adds to the pleasure, the excitment and the result.

Chapter names (aka C James) are great. but then "Mark Arbour" doesn't use them and his stories are great!, so either way, it's the writing that counts....

Edited by Canuk

I read a book once (actually I've read it several times) that had bits of song lyrics as chapter titles. That was amazing, because it gave you another way to approach the litterature. There was a lot of rock music that I started to listen to after reading that because curiosity made me find the songs. It gave a whole different dept to the journey of the main character because the music was such a big part ogf his story, and the songs added to that. Also they enhanced his psycological journey because it started out with really depressing stuff and ended up with something lighter, yet still melancholy. I really admire what that writer achieved using the chapter titles in an unconventional way.

I like chapter titles, and numbers, as in both, because it helps me remember where I had to stop reading. Posted Image

people who worry that they can't have headings because they'd "know the ending" worry me. Reading is NOT about the ending, its the journey.

I'm gonna halfway disagree. Yeah, knowing the ending doesn't automatically ruin the experience of a book, but a bad ending can totally ruin a story. If I'm reading an action story about saving the world and at the end the main character fails and dies or if I'm reading a romance where the main couple breaks up at the end it completely erases the rest of the story for me. It doesn't matter how good it was, I was invested in the characters and their happy ending and I didn't get it so the book sucked.

I'm gonna halfway disagree. Yeah, knowing the ending doesn't automatically ruin the experience of a book, but a bad ending can totally ruin a story. If I'm reading an action story about saving the world and at the end the main character fails and dies or if I'm reading a romance where the main couple breaks up at the end it completely erases the rest of the story for me. It doesn't matter how good it was, I was invested in the characters and their happy ending and I didn't get it so the book sucked.

This is where I tie myself in knots:

yep, a bad ending can ruin the "journey". and, possibly knowing that a story has a really idiotic ending would made the journey less interesting. for me a succesful ending doesn't mean I need to feel good about it - provided the ending makes some internal sense. In your example of "saving the world then dying", it can work if its true to the story. Charles Dickens Tale of Two Cities for e.g anyone who predicted that ending either cheated or was Dicken's beta reader!

so I'll modify my initial statement: knowing the ending should not affect the story IF the story (including teh ending, is well written.

As a reader, I'm not really sure I care unless there is clever reasoning behind a chapter title. However, if there is a worded chapter title, I prefer it to also be accompanied by numbering so as not to stir up any confusion about which chapter I'm on.

As a writer, I tend to use the numbering system. A few years back, I tried to give each chapter a title, but that was a feat in and of itself. I can barely come up with a title for the story much less a title for each chapter. D: