PC Games

I'm not a big PC gamer myself, but I do play one every once and a while. What are the PC games you enjoy?

I guess the one I play the most is SimCity 4 Deluxe. I was ecstatic to hear that Maxis will be releasing the fifth installment in 2013. It seems like a long ways away so this will definitely be a test of my patience. D:

• Site Administrator

For PC Games?

Age of Empires Online. (Great Sale on Steam right now!)

Star Wars: The Old Republic. (I"m not playing right now because of work/school/hw time. I will be playing again in May)

Sins of a Solar Empire

Some old games kicking around I play now and then. Neverwinter Nights (1,2), Simcity 4 Delux, Spore.

I'm not a big PC gamer either. Costs too much to keep a gaming PC upgraded. I have a decent Alienware laptop right now but it'll be obsolete within two years >_< I usually just play strategy games (Paradox Interactive FTW!) but I'm doing Old Republic now too, which is seriously the best MMO ever since it actually focuses on STORY instead of just leveling up to the cap and going on raids.

• Site Administrator

Yeah, the story in SWTOR is really good, but that's Bioware for you. I'm really looking forward to the 1.2 update Legacy. That will actually get me to go through all the different classes this summer, I think.

I love the whole Sim series by Maxis. I can remember spending hours playing the very first SimCity.

I also have a large collection of the Star Trek games (yes, I'm a Trekkie)

I played a lot of Sim City 2k-3k when I was in middle school and graduated to SimCity 4, of course. I was really big on The Sims/Sims 2 as well, but not so much Sims 3.

PC Games?

That's where the classics are.

We'll start with the Civilization series games. See their website at: http://www.civilization.com/

War Games on the PC go to Shrapnel Games. They have the rights to the Steel Panthers franchise and offer a WWII and modern version of the classic game. They also have a number of other games. See their site at: http://www.shrapnelgames.com/

Another classic game series is Harpoon ( http://www.advancedgaming.biz/products/hce.html ). It's been around 20 years +

One of the bigger collections of various types of games can be found at http://www.matrixgames.com

• Site Administrator

Oregon Trail! Seriously, that was the first, and only, pc game I ever played. *holds up shield* Don't throw stones at me! I always enjoyed seeing how many cruel and unusual ways I could kill my settlers.

*comes to a deep river* Should you ford the river here or look for another crossing?

FORD!

Are you sure?

Hell yeah, ford that bad boy!

*tragedy strikes* You just lost 2 oxen, 3 bags of flour, 1 rifle, and 2 settlers.

SCORE! (snickers. Yes, I am evil!)

Oregon Trail was a very fun game to play! I remember moving from California to Oregon in middle school and we would go to the computer lab and play that game for computer time. It was the bomb and I still play it sometimes when I can find online hosts.

I was evil when playing the SimCity games Posted Image . Used to build up a population, get some fancy buildings. Then unleash nuclear meltdown, or alien monster or start downtown riot. mwah-hah-hah.

I used to do that in The Sims. I wasn't much for actually playing my sims lives, but rather being the architect and building things. I would download custom files to make my houses look awesome, and then I would build a tiny closet with no windows or doors--nothing, basically and then watch them die. :D I should do more of that kind of stuff in SimCity 4. I hate to say it, but the game is getting a little tiresome now.

I'm really looking forward to the 1.2 update Legacy.

Same here. I've been looking forward to Legacy for a while.

I LOVED destroying stuff in Sim City. When I was a kid I sucked at actually making the city *glares at stupid roads that break down every 5 seconds* so I'd just load up a pre loaded real city and unleash the natural disasters, lol. Speaking of Sim games, I can't be the only one that remembers Sim Ant, can I?

• Site Administrator

I saw it. I love Sim Tower (And the much rarer Sim Tower 2 called Yoshi Tower I think) Something to do with loving elevators, escalators and tall buildings ;)

• Site Administrator

I'm currently replaying one of my old games - Baldur's Gate. I've seen it in the stores really cheap recently and that prompted me to dig out my old copy and start playing it again.

Do you like to watch paint dry? Crops grow? Do you like to spread fertilizer? Then this is for you. HILARIOUS times attempting to back a tractor into a pole barn. Apparently I am easily entertained.

My brand of awesome:

Minecraft

Then homeworld2complex. It's a mod of Homeworld 2, long abandoned by Sierra. The Complex mod is a complete re-do of the game, done by volunteers,

Others I play: Age of Mythology. Age of Empires in any version. The Settlers.

Halo Reach (although Halo ODST is by far the best of the series).

COD.

I play bridge. So Bridge Baron.

The Sims, long enough to wall them into the kitchen and have the least trained Sim try to cook something.

Midtown Madness.

Any GTA game.

Need for Speed.

Starcraft 2.

About 20 others.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD
  • Site Administrator

I like or play most of the games you guys mentioned.

My favorite though is for a sim:

Sim City and sim city 2000

I wish they'd come out with a new one, it's been too long since Sim city 2000 came out. I want to send out my UFO's to destroy the suburban neighborhoods or place a Tornado on the interstate Posted Image

Have you guys ever tried to connect your simcity game with sim copter.

I've got an autographed collectors edition of the game from the developer. I am not sure how much it is worth to gamers, but it's one of my prized possessions.

Edit: Just scrolled up on my droid and saw Myr and Andy's love for destruction.

I'm currently replaying one of my old games - Baldur's Gate. I've seen it in the stores really cheap recently and that prompted me to dig out my old copy and start playing it again.

Heh. Coming to an iPad near you this summer! (THey're doing an 'enhanced edition' re-release which may lead to a Baldur's Gate III...)

• Site Administrator

Minecraft

My boys have been playing minecraft while it was still in beta. I'll admit I think it looks really interesting and I wouldn't mind getting my own copy, but I just don't find a lot of time to play computer games, which is why I'm currently sticking to my old games.

My youngest boy has also got a large percentage of his classes at school playing minecraft and he's the minecraft "guru" at school. For his birthday, he also got some cool minecraft T-shirts (my favourite is the Periodic Table of Minecraft).

Main Site: Minecraft

Wiki Site: Minecraft Wiki

Edited by Graeme

My boys have been playing minecraft while it was still in beta. I'll admit I think it looks really interesting and I wouldn't mind getting my own copy, but I just don't find a lot of time to play computer games, which is why I'm currently sticking to my old games.

My youngest boy has also got a large percentage of his classes at school playing minecraft and he's the minecraft "guru" at school. For his birthday, he also got some cool minecraft T-shirts (my favourite is the Periodic Table of Minecraft).

Main Site: Minecraft

Wiki Site: Minecraft Wiki

Minecraft is the digital equivalent of Legos (if they have those in Oz, you know them when you step on one) on steroids. You have your building blocks. You have your environment (for me, my bedroom floor), with the added capability of mining for more blocks - who didn't want more blocks in Legos? And you have the excitement of a creeper showing up and blowing chunks out of your creations - the equivalent of a bigger sister or brother. It runs in Java -meaning it runs anywhere. Along with that, you've got crafting for more abilities, puzzle solving for getting out of trouble in survival mode, and the whole "sandbox" of creative mode. It's genius and its perfect for getting kids to use their brains for more than targeting campers :P

I set up a minecraft server for my nieces and their friends (all 13-14 year olds) because I wanted them to be able to share a world without griefers and/or in a private way. They LOVED it. (I need to restart that server someday).

Notch, the creator of the game, is accessible. He's made 80 million bucks off this game and its dumb looking art and very basic functionality.. It's ridiculous, and it's ridiculously addictive.

I can't wait to see what independent, young developers do with technology coming up. As long as we can get them off the smartphones and onto the consoles and PCs and Macs, we will see some truly awesome and smart gaming.

Edited by Gene Splicer PHD