Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

And it didn't bother me one bit when Jeff bit the dust. He might have been what JP, at the time, wanted, but he would have never been what JP needed (that, obviously is Stefan). It's the same thing with Granger and Calvert. Calvert is content to always support Granger from the background, which in my opinion, is exactly what Granger will need for the long-term.

Well, I never really thought that JP and Jeff would end up together in the end; but his death just knocked the wind totally out of my lungs and I really couldn't breathe for a few minutes when it happened. Even when I go back and reread the stories, that moment always makes me sad for the lost promise of what was or might have been...

See, I see Calvert as a danger to Granger not as someone that could really support him. Their relationship has already caused remarks by some and Calvert's behaviour with others has caused comments by others. Even after Caroline and Calvert came to their agreement, I really think Calvert is more a danger to Granger in the long run that anything else. With Calvert in his life, Granger will always run the risk of exposure because Calvert at times is just way to obvious, remember on Gibraltor with that marine???

p.s. I added a like to the first comment by you, Sharon, because it was just funny as hell....

• Like 1

I love it when Sharon wanders into the forum and comments.

Granger is a very animated, social person who has been trained to be stoic, and is in a role that requires him to be largely isolated. I think that he craves the kind of stability and satisfaction a loving relationship can provide, but I think he also likes the new and exciting. It's hard to imaging this being the profile of someone who is faithful in a relationship. Posted Image What Calvert brings to the table is that he is, similar to what Sharon said, devoted to Granger, and he probably sees Granger's strengths and weaknesses even more clearly than Granger does. Their relationship seems very stable, as they know and understand each other, and make allowances for the flaws of the other. They're basically like an old married couple. No wonder you think Calvert is boring. Posted Image

Edited by Mark Arbour
  • Like 1

And it didn't bother me one bit when Jeff bit the dust. He might have been what JP, at the time, wanted, but he would have never been what JP needed (that, obviously is Stefan). It's the same thing with Granger and Calvert. Calvert is content to always support Granger from the background, which in my opinion, is exactly what Granger will need for the long-term.

I once thought of Calvert as a danger to George, in that he has trouble with his emotions showing too much at times. The more I think about it you are exactly correct. Granger needs the huge support he gets from Calvert while Calvert seems to be okay with his recent demotion to a support role after being the man in charge of his own ship. He appears to be better at his obvious display of emotions than he once was. I get the impression that Lord Granger will need all his support and leadership abilities this voyage. A lot can be said for having a friend at your back.

• Like 1

I say you are all full of it...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Granger needs someone that will challenge and stand up to him. Granger needs someone at least close to or on the same social level as he is for anything long term to last... Granger needs Chartley dammit...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I do agree that Calvert will always support Granger but that is all he is really capable of doing. He is never going to be able to do more than that without causing serious comments. Plus, if he gets another capitancy as was sort of promised, then he is off and away from Granger again, unless Granger makes Commodore and can keep him around as one of the ships he is in charge of but that seems extremely unlikely, even with Mark writing the story...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I say you are all full of it...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Granger needs someone that will challenge and stand up to him. Granger needs someone at least close to or on the same social level as he is for anything long term to last... Granger needs Chartley dammit...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image I do agree that Calvert will always support Granger but that is all he is really capable of doing. He is never going to be able to do more than that without causing serious comments. Plus, if he gets another capitancy as was sort of promised, then he is off and away from Granger again, unless Granger makes Commodore and can keep him around as one of the ships he is in charge of but that seems extremely unlike..ly, even with Mark writing the story...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Chartley is definitely NOT what Granger needs. Besides he is in love with Bertie.

Chartley is definitely NOT what Granger needs. Besides he is in love with Bertie.

I don't think Chartley has ever been in love with Bertie, I think he was infatuated with him but I think he does care deeply for Granger. Bertie is his friend and he rushed back to him becasue he is his friend and they both have a lot of money involved that Bertie's removal without notice would endanger... I think Chartley is much closer to what Granger needs than Calvert...

Granger won't make Commodore for years.

That is to be expected, that is what I meant, Calvert was all but promised another command if he survived the trip with Granger. If this occurs, then they are seperated again... I just really don't see with their situations and positions how they could ever work out; that being said I am going to stop bitching about this and just see where Mark takes us...

...that being said I am going to stop bitching about this and just see where Mark takes us...

Although we all know I never bitch, this is my suggestion, too. :) Most of the time, it's well worth the bus fare.

• Like 2

I know Mark has a surprise for the next chapter. i just don't know if it has to do with the beaten man or the lack of surrender. Maybe both.

Or maybe both. Or maybe they're connected. Posted Image

Sorry about the cliffhanger here. I had a dilemma, in that if I cut off the action with the brig and put it in Chapter 26, Chapter 25 would have been too short. So that's why we have it there, not through any sadistic pleasure I may have gotten by doing that. I'm not CJ, after all. Posted Image

The lack of surrender by the Spanish ship and that only the tortured prisoner was described although others were taken prisoner as well and Mark's comment above indicate that those were the salient take-aways from that encounter. I suspect we will find out just how much so in the upcoming chapter next weekend. That they have had good sailing conditions thus far means the ship and crew are in good shape so far and that is encouraging. Montevideo is on the coast just North of the bay and river entrance where Buenos Aires is located and a large Spanish force could be expected in that area.

Rounding the Horn is coming and I expect that could be somewhat of a nightmare for the crew. It is such a long way south.

• Like 1

Well, Granger's decision on whom to send home made sense after you realized what his options really were in regards to this issue. As I stated in my review, the overall situation must be dealt with on one end or the other of this voyage, not in the middle... I do think his revealing his authority to the Consul was masterfully done. There really is no way for the Consul to warn Maidstone and get the warning there before Granger will arrive and it may make the consul a little more cautious in his actions...

I can't wait to see who Granger rescued aboard the Spainish ship that they captured. I have a feeling it will be someone that will help Granger and cause problem for the Spainish. A indigenous leader that is trying to lead a revolt against the local government or a nationalist leader moving against Spain itself??? Either will be fun once the good doctor has him sorted out and ready to cause mischief...

Can't wait for the next chapter Mark, keep up the great work...

• Like 1

Well covering both conversations going here, Granger needs Cavendish now that he is less of a youngster and now mature enough to be fully political. And Cavendish is the only one who could foster the green eyed monster within just by "speaking" of another man.

As for what's next. Granger is known for rescuing oddly influential and powerful men from the sea. I suspect this gentlemen is more than a fashion conscious Mayan or south American.

• Like 1

The lack of surrender by the Spanish ship and that only the tortured prisoner was described although others were taken prisoner as well and Mark's comment above indicate that those were the salient take-aways from that encounter. I suspect we will find out just how much so in the upcoming chapter next weekend. That they have had good sailing conditions thus far means the ship and crew are in good shape so far and that is encouraging. Montevideo is on the coast just North of the bay and river entrance where Buenos Aires is located and a large Spanish force could be expected in that area.

Rounding the Horn is coming and I expect that could be somewhat of a nightmare for the crew. It is such a long way south.

Rounding the Horn could be a significant challenge, but the good news is that they're doing it in the equivalent of Spring there, or close to it, anyway. Hitting it in July may have been a bit much.

Well, Granger's decision on whom to send home made sense after you realized what his options really were in regards to this issue. As I stated in my review, the overall situation must be dealt with on one end or the other of this voyage, not in the middle... I do think his revealing his authority to the Consul was masterfully done. There really is no way for the Consul to warn Maidstone and get the warning there before Granger will arrive and it may make the consul a little more cautious in his actions...

I can't wait to see who Granger rescued aboard the Spainish ship that they captured. I have a feeling it will be someone that will help Granger and cause problem for the Spainish. A indigenous leader that is trying to lead a revolt against the local government or a nationalist leader moving against Spain itself??? Either will be fun once the good doctor has him sorted out and ready to cause mischief...

Can't wait for the next chapter Mark, keep up the great work...

I don't know that Sir Malcolm will deduce from those instructions that Granger is on his way to potentially topple Sir Tobias. And as you noted, there were no cell phones in those days, so there's really no way to warn him.

Well covering both conversations going here, Granger needs Cavendish now that he is less of a youngster and now mature enough to be fully political. And Cavendish is the only one who could foster the green eyed monster within just by "speaking" of another man.

As for what's next. Granger is known for rescuing oddly influential and powerful men from the sea. I suspect this gentlemen is more than a fashion conscious Mayan or south American.

I think that Cavendish fills one of Granger's needs, but I don't think he's even close to as devoted as Calvert. I think that Calvert would gladly give up his life to save Granger. I'm not sure if Cavendish would.

I imagined the rescued prisoner could be either Manuel Gual or José María España leaders of the anti-spanish rule fraction in Venezula crushed about this time. But why they would be so far south as to be off the shore of Argentina does not make much sense to me. In addition both men were in the late 30's or older at this time and neither had native south american heritage. Maybe a main follower of the movement or the off-spring of one of them is more likely. I'm sure after Dr Jackson has a chance to heal the patient, we will find out, but hopefully he is influential enough to obtain the assistance of natives for Granger in is task to ferret out the French attacks on British and American whalers.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I really didn't have anything much to say, I just couldn't stand to see my favorite story thread so far down the list. I know it is a silly thing to do, but I never claimed to be anything less than silly.

Edited by JimCarter
  • Like 3

Sorry guys, I really didn't have anything much to say, I just couldn't stand to see my favorite story thread so far down the list. I know it is a silly thing to do, but I never claimed to be anything less than silly.

Well, and it prompts me to post and let you know that the next chapter isn't done yet. Finals are upon me, so I'll do my best.

Well, and it prompts me to post and let you know that the next chapter isn't done yet. Finals are upon me, so I'll do my best.

Its kinda selfish for me to ask you to do better than your best, so I will just say thanks for letting us know. I will still be looking for the next chapter, but i won't be calling you names under my breath. I do love this story.

• Like 1

Finals at Christmas? Have they no shame? Are there no workhouses?

Well hopefully this is the end of your schooling and your degree will be in hand so you can focus on the things in life you are truly the best at. WRITING!

Personally I think you should just focus on this best seller and be done with it all.

Repeat after me, "We don't need no stinking shingle!"

Good, now get back to work.

• Like 1

Finals at Christmas? Have they no shame? Are there no workhouses?

Well hopefully this is the end of your schooling and your degree will be in hand so you can focus on the things in life you are truly the best at. WRITING!

Personally I think you should just focus on this best seller and be done with it all.

Repeat after me, "We don't need no stinking shingle!"

Good, now get back to work.

Mark is a professor not a student. I'm sure he holds a Master degree and probably a Doctorate. Unfortunately, final time can be more taxing on the instructors than on the students.

Mark is a professor not a student. I'm sure he holds a Master degree and probably a Doctorate. Unfortunately, final time can be more taxing on the instructors than on the students.

What a scrooge! Finals just before Christmas break.

The preparation is tough, and the grading is tough. It's not tough when they're taking the final. Posted Image

Ha! I do this all the time. Posted Image

My kids know if I'm muttering somthing about 'that damn arbour', I'm not talking about the trees in the backyard.

Posted Image I'm so much easier to deal with now that I'm calmer and older.

What a scrooge! Finals just before Christmas break.

You assume (incorrectly) that I have any control, or even input, into that decision.

Okay. I know what we need in this story. We need a controversial fourteen year old midshipman that half of us thinks is smart and ready to be promoted to Lt. and the other half thinks is a spoiled brat that needs to visit the gunner's daughter. Then we would be constantly arguing with each other. Maybe then we would have a lot of discussion in the thread. I hate we don't have enough bickering to keep up with that OTHER story. Just kidding sort of.Posted Image

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..