Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I have read the reviews and comments about the latest chapter. While none of us are totally surprised by the actions of Mr. Connor, I'm sure Granger is capable of handling this problem. However, before George does anything drastic to Connor, he needs more information. He has to obtain proof that Connor is out to discredit him, proof that Maidstone is part of that conspiracy, and more importantly who is really behind the plot. Remember, not even the King nor others in the Royal family know how Maidstone was named Governor or the real reason behind it. Fortunately George has the weight and blessing of the Crown behind him with Royal orders granting him powers that greatly exceeds that of a normal frigate Captain. If I remember correctly Mark originally intended to name this book Mutiny, but I'm wondering if Treason would not have been a better choice.

Of course, Mark is the master of plots and sub-plots and neither I nor anyone else have been able to predict his future curves with any accuracy. As such, we must all wait patiently for Mark to unveal the rest of the story.

Edited by Kookie

Wow!! This was worth waiting for...as I knew it would. My suspicions about Mr. Conway seem to be well founded and I can't wait to see how it will be resolved. I still think the man with the hook is a plant. This may turn out to be one of Granger's biggest challenges yet.

He probably should cool it with Calvert until this gets figured out.

So glad to have you back, Mark!

To be honest I am hoping that the man with the hook proves to be more loyal than most and finds a way to give Granger information about what Conway is up to. just another example of the loyalty his crew shows for granger.

I agree. After all, everyone else was ready to given him the bum's rush. I think he will rise to the challenge too. Granger gave him the chance no one else was ready to. That kind of loyalty tends to "hook" a guy.

Another great chapter from what is the best story online in my opinion, I just treasure each chapter like a sailor of the time would have treasured fresh water; it just quenches the soul...

I reallly like how Granger handled the situation with the men from his previous crew that was fighting. I have to think he will handle the rest of the situation with two left behind and Conway just as effectively. I do have to agree with Granger, the three that got away may have wished they were hanged before their twenty year sentence of hard labor on a plantation is up...

I have to wonder how Granger will be able to convice Conway to leave the ship, you just know that he will... It will also be interesting to discover how Maidstone will take it when Granger and his ship arrive without Conway aboard...

I await eagerly the three way with Somers and Calvert. I have always found Calvert to be utterly unappealing, for whatever reason, and really look forward to the addition of Somers to his and George's bed. I guess Mark see's something in Calvert that completely alludes me because like a bad penny, he keeps showing up.

The letters the Viceroy will be sending with Granger will hopefully be like a calming balm and help to smooth Granger's next couple of stops. The mail will be off-loaded and be in the hand's of the Viceroys in those locations before Granger probably meets with them.

I look forward to Granger's further adventures with true anticipation...

Thank you, Mark, for another great chapter!

I think Conway might be more wily than we think...especially if he has a history of underhandedness. They guy with the hook bothers me only because Mark made a point of bringing him aboard, or at least since he mentioned him he must have a purpose for him. We all are aware that Mark has a devious mind, aren't we?Posted Image I for one am willing to believe the worst!

We also still have the other two trouble makers on board to do just that (make trouble, that is). Conway seems to be the one goading them on, or... maybe it's the guy with the hook?Posted Image Maybe it's both of them...Posted Image I think there will be hangings in the future.

I think a three way right now would be a bad idea, with trouble-makers on board. All it would take is to have one of the trouble-makers barge in on them and all hell would break loose. The word would get out. I urge caution!!!! This may just be what Maidstone may be trying to find out to denounce Granger...

Gaaaah! I love this story and I love this series!

Edited by Clydee

i trust that Mark will insure that Conway is subjected to a little pain and anguish before he decides he wants to stay on the island instead of continuing the voyage. Scum like Conway need to suffer before being left ashore willfully or not. Posted Image

The new chapter of Odyssey is up and was just the touch I needed to end the weekend on a bright note. I am so glad to be rid of Conway, although I actually expected there to be more of a fuss about his departure. I have to admit, I never even thought about him trying to get rid of the good Dr. Jackson, but should have seen it coming.

I can't wait to see Maidstone's face when the ship arrives in the Far East without his stooge aboard. Conway maybe trapped on this island for months, so he will have no way to get any notice to his boss. I do wish there had been someway to trip him up more so that Granger had more ammunition to confront Maidstone when he arrives after him.

I can't wait to see what the next part of the voyage brings Granger and his crew. Rio is a great place, and I am sure it was even back then... Has to make me wonder what kind of trouble they can find to get into when they arrive...

Please be safe. One thing, maybe the only thing, about living in Minnesota is that you are long way away from such storms. It is good to see George handle this situation like he did. the problem is that many people underestimate George, even his family some times. I am not sure if George ts a saint but he is certianly a force to not be over looked. The first situation has been over come. What will be next? I trust George will make it through them as he always does. Thanks Mark.

• Like 1

Thanks rjo, I will certainly not be out and about. We have provisions and a generator so we should be alright pending any structural damage. We are in Richmond VA, a long ways from New Jersey but this storm is so massive we will suffer the deluge of rain in proportions not seen here before and since the trees still have their leaves they will be coming up from the saturated ground easily. So power outages are likely.

AN awesome chapter Lord Arbour! I'm sorry that Conway is left alive but hopefully he will run into the defectors and somehow he will meet his end before he has a chance to do harm to Grangers character. Perhaps the governor will discover some evidence that will bolster Granger's case if he IS to make it back. I am in hopes that it will also implicate Maidstone. There is still the question of where his [Maidstone's] power is coming from. Perhaps a Mann or Wilcox or Fox will be implicated. Maybe a letter unfinished by Conway discovered after he has fled on another merchant ship or after his demise will implicate the right folks. I think a note to Caroline is in order as well. She needs to know that Mr Conway will undoubtedly try and cause problems. Alone that may not be a problem, but he'll have Maidstone's backing. And we don't yet know who is empowering him.

But now Granger is without a ship's master. And a new adventure begins amidst the existing. Let's hear more about our new midshipmen and the trip around the horn. And of course, Mr Weston. And shouldn't there be some prizes out here. A Spanish Galleon or something?

• Like 1

I have just finished reading the Bridgemont saga from start to finish again... I just find something each time I go back through this story to admire and enjoy even more... I hope that you continue to enjoy writing this saga for a long time to come. It has become one of my all time favorite stories period.

Hope you are surviving that bruising election tone in Missouri, unfortunately here in Texas the idiots really do seem to hold sway.....

I have just finished reading the Bridgemont saga from start to finish again... I just find something each time I go back through this story to admire and enjoy even more... I hope that you continue to enjoy writing this saga for a long time to come. It has become one of my all time favorite stories period.

Hope you are surviving that bruising election tone in Missouri, unfortunately here in Texas the idiots really do seem to hold sway.....

Don't know what you're whining about. Here in Virginia we have so many we gave them their own section of the state. We call it DC (District of Idiots) Ya, I KNOW Idiots starts with an "I" and not a "C" ! That's my point exactly..

The new chapter is up and lots of intrigue... I can't wait to see what the secret orders Granger had delievered to him by Somers that came from the Privy Council... Not sure this is going to be good news, but I guess we will have to wait and see... I just love to have all the interaction with Granger and the men on the ship and those that surround him.

I can't wait to see what Mark has cooked up for Granger in Rio... It is such a great place now and I am sure was a place of intrigue then...

It was a fantastic story changing chapter. I have to wonder with Grangers father heavily invested in John Company if there may be something there. Perhaps Bertie's skewed moral compass was genetic. Perhaps his father is just better at hiding it. Every family has a few skeletons in the closet. Or perhaps Freddie is in the middle of it someplace. But Count on the fact that Maidstone is involved in it someplace. There is only one reason to hold off on giving Granger those orders. The possibility that he may act on them before now. They set a location for delivery that would put him too far away to do anything about what ever it is. The question really is, who wants him out of the way and why? It could even be the Kings favorite Nephew. Or someone from the brotherhood.

But whatever it is, WHOever it is, planned things out very carefully and is very cunning. Were they orders or just information? Does the King know of it? Who else is in on it? Is there a plan to damage Granger or just to keep him out of the way?

More questions than answers as usual. I Hate Mysteries that evolve to an endpoint without making all the clues available to the reader. UGH! Perhaps more will be revealed.

Well, I think we can all guess what the secret orders are in regards to, can't we? I do have to wonder why they felt that Granger had to be kept in the dark until he was closer to Rio. I have to wonder if the issue with Maidstone isn't more widespread than we have been lead to believe. Here in Rio we find a cousin of Maidstone's in a position of power, although I suspect he is about to lose it and be sent home. This sort of leads to questions about what the ultimate plan of Sir Tobias Maidstone is all about. What is he trying to set up and how far will Granger have to go to stop it...

I so relish Granger's interaction with Somers and the Colonel from Portugal. I can see some adventures of another kind brewing there. I guess it is my issues with Calvert that makes everyone else seem more interesting to me than he is... There must be more to Calvert than I can witness for Mark to keep bringing him back... I still favor a tropical ilness and lingering death but....

These delays because of secret orders are going to give Maidstone time to be in place and maybe put his plan into action before Granger arrives; this will maybe give Granger more evidence of whatever the plan is and help him to decide whatever he ends up deciding to do about Maidstone.

Keep up the great work Mark, I eagerly await each sweet visit by Lord Granger...

• Like 1

Just have to say this - I was curious about the British Naval history, and went and read about the battles during the the time you are writing about. I have to say I am looking forward to future stories about the Battle of the Nile and the Battle of Trafalgar.

• Like 1

I would personally rank the Battle of the Nile as more important in the long run than the Battle of Trafalgar. Probably, the only two naval battles in history more important than the Battle of the Nile were the Battle of Tsushima and the Battle of Midway..... I don't know why, because I have never been much of a sailor, but I have always loved naval histories...

• Like 1

I would personally rank the Battle of the Nile as more important in the long run than the Battle of Trafalgar. Probably, the only two naval battles in history more important than the Battle of the Nile were the Battle of Tsushima and the Battle of Midway..... I don't know why, because I have never been much of a sailor, but I have always loved naval histories...

Ya, I'm partial to a cute innie myself. As to which was most important, I think Lord Hood might disagree with ya. ;)

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..