Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Someone in the reviews voiced the opinion that the latest chapter was short and I concur. It does seem that the B is a packed ship with plenty of people with a history of serving George. A little jostling for his attention would seem to be natural. I suspect the voyage will be anything but easy.

Someone in the reviews voiced the opinion that the latest chapter was short and I concur. It does seem that the B is a packed ship with plenty of people with a history of serving George. A little jostling for his attention would seem to be natural. I suspect the voyage will be anything but easy.

While I will agree the chapter definitely seem short, it ended at a natural break in the story so I am not at all upset by it. I expect to see a strong friendship develop between Gatling and Kingsdale (I believe they are the same age). But with the extra midshipmans and assuming good whaling sailors are rescued, the problem of how to handle prizes is reduced.

• Like 3

Wow, you guys amaze me. now he has to produce on an unreal schedule AND it has to be long enough? I think you guys would complain if they hung you with a NEW rope. Geeeze He could go to a once a month posting. Lots of writers do. I prefer to focus on quality rather than quantity. And 2 paragraphs of Marks HMS happiness is worth 140,000 words of mediocrity. Get over it. You're not just impolite but acting completely ungracious and spoiled.

Wow, you guys amaze me. now he has to produce on an unreal schedule AND it has to be long enough? I think you guys would complain if they hung you with a NEW rope. Geeeze He could go to a once a month posting. Lots of writers do. I prefer to focus on quality rather than quantity. And 2 paragraphs of Marks HMS happiness is worth 140,000 words of mediocrity. Get over it. You're not just impolite but acting completely ungracious and spoiled.

I'm used to it. Gay guys are such size queens. Posted Image

• Like 1

I've been out of town, and swamped, so it's unlikely I'll make my self-imposed posting deadline this Saturday. I just wanted to let you all know.

Thanks for that Mark. ;) I'll find an old rag to chew on if the shakes start. lol But we knew those ballroom dance lessons would start to cut into your schedule.

ROTFLMAO I'm still laughing over the "size queen" bit. That gives a whole new perspective to living up to a commitment.

I've been out of town, and swamped, so it's unlikely I'll make my self-imposed posting deadline this Saturday. I just wanted to let you all know.

Okay, we'll give until noon tomorrow. Just kidding Mark. Thanks for letting us know, it might even help us manage the Granger withdrawl shakes if we are not looking for the next chapter every few minutes. Posted Image

Thank you, Mark. Another very interesting chapter. So now I have to wonder about the master, Conway. Hmmm. If I wasn't an old Arbour fan I would hesitate to guess this, but I am, so therefore...what are you up too? I have a feeling the shit is going to hit the fan pretty soon, it is your style you know, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Not enough info, I guess.Posted Image

Hang on, since it can't be just coincidental that Maidstone has a man (or men) in the crew, and maybe that one handed guy that came aboard might be part of a plot too. Posted Image If the one handed guy is part of Maidstone's bunch this could get nasty. The one handed guy bothers me. There just might be some hangin's this trip. Just sayin'!

Since we all know what happens to Nelson, it was saddening to me to know that that would be the last time Granger would seem him. They've had not a few adventures in their times together and whether they wish to admit it to themselves or not, they are friends.

• Like 1

Interesting chapter and I think Clydee has some interesting observations. Spencer of course is caught between numerous competing interests and who would want that job, especially with doddering old fools hanging on forever, and having enough clout to do so. Posted Image

Conway is the puzzle although there are enough opportunities for subplots to turn this into a really long story. Posted Image

So which is it? The east coast of South America or the West coast of South America where he is supposed to cause havoc? My recollection is that there may have been a change......Posted Image

Of course Conway is a wildcard. The question is, who is hi loyalty to?

I guess I better read up on Nelson and find out how he bites it. I didn't know . . . Posted Image

Now the adventure begins in earnest. :) A great chapter. I was a little surprised that there wasn't a bit more about Kingsdale getting his pipes. They are, as I understand, a very personal thing. And surrounded by tradition and history. Earning additional pipes as your skills increase. This had to be a very moving moment for him.

And I don't think it is an instrument that accompanies well with anything but drums. I could be wrong. Like I said before, they make a gastly sound that might be functional as a terror inducing sound in the night to those that have never heard them before. This might even be useful in the trip to come. I know that were I on the ship, I would pay him to throw them overboard, begging your pardon sir.

I look forward to the next, and the next, and the next.

Violins and bagpipes do Amazing Grace pretty well together. This sample starts with a pipe flute but the bagpipes come in during the middle.

Of course, that would be a good ending to an evening's entertainment.

Thank you, Mark. Another very interesting chapter. So now I have to wonder about the master, Conway. Hmmm. If I wasn't an old Arbour fan I would hesitate to guess this, but I am, so therefore...what are you up too? I have a feeling the shit is going to hit the fan pretty soon, it is your style you know, but I can't for the life of me figure out what. Not enough info, I guess.Posted Image

Hang on, since it can't be just coincidental that Maidstone has a man (or men) in the crew, and maybe that one handed guy that came aboard might be part of a plot too. Posted Image If the one handed guy is part of Maidstone's bunch this could get nasty. The one handed guy bothers me. There just might be some hangin's this trip. Just sayin'!

Since we all know what happens to Nelson, it was saddening to me to know that that would be the last time Granger would seem him. They've had not a few adventures in their times together and whether they wish to admit it to themselves or not, they are friends.

Nelson has a tough time at Tenerife (this is where he lost his arm) but he lived a bit longer than that. He is finally killed at the Battle of Trafalgar, the battle that secured British mastery of the seas for well over 100 years. Here's Nelson's Wiki page.

Interesting chapter and I think Clydee has some interesting observations. Spencer of course is caught between numerous competing interests and who would want that job, especially with doddering old fools hanging on forever, and having enough clout to do so. Posted Image

Conway is the puzzle although there are enough opportunities for subplots to turn this into a really long story. Posted Image

So which is it? The east coast of South America or the West coast of South America where he is supposed to cause havoc? My recollection is that there may have been a change......Posted Image

Good eye for detail. In Chapter 15, there was an error (now corrected) that mentioned the South Atlantic.Posted Image That has been changed to South Pacific. Nonetheless, Granger is meant to wreak havoc wherever he goes. Posted Image

Nelson has a tough time at Tenerife (this is where he lost his arm) but he lived a bit longer than that. He is finally killed at the Battle of Trafalgar, the battle that secured British mastery of the seas for well over 100 years. Here's Nelson's Wiki page.

Oooops...you are quite correct! I sincerely doubt that Granger would be gone for...eight years! I didn't do my homework...hmmm I think I've had this conversation about 60 years ago...Posted Image

Thanks guys. Most helpful. And the bagpipes were actually not bad either. I still think they would be a great tool in a part of the world where they were unknown though And I still think they were created to mimic tortured cats. Posted Image

I really enjoyed the latest chapter of Odyssey. I can't wait for them to get further along on their voyage and for the real adventure to begin. I have a feeling that Granger will be substantially richer when he returns to England.

I have to worry a bit about Freddie and Davina staying in England but with that heir to major title on the way, I don't see that the King had much choice. I guess it would be terrible for Davina and the child to die in childbirth, happened a lot back then. I know, I am just horrible. I do think that Caroline will be back in full force by the time Granger returns to England. I think she truly learned her lesson and will be more of a force than ever after she is back in society.

I really hated to hear about Conway, like Granger there was something in his introduction that I really liked; now everything he does will have a hint of suspicion attached. I figured that Maidstone would have a spy or two aboard but a ship master can create a lot of havoc. I hadn't even thought about the man with the hook being a spy but he has sailed in those waters before so he could be tied to Maidstone as well. Drats, I liked him too...

I am not sure but I almost think the midshipman's quaters may have some of the best story lines this trip... I hope that Kingsdale is given plenty of chances to shine...

I for one, love the bagpipes...

Re: bagpipes. Don't forget that Kingsdale is an IRISH peer. The instrument we most commonly associate with the word "bagpipe" is the Great Highland Bagpipe.

However, bagpipes were a form of instrument known and used all over Europe. The various models of Irish pipe for example had a sweeter sound (similar to a lower pitched clarinet) than their highland counterparts. They also had a lower volume. It's unlikely that those of you who "love the bagpipe" would be hearing the same sounds as you are used to.

By the way... When bagpipes are wet, they sound atrocious. I hope they don't get too many stormy seas.

Excellent chapter Mark – thank you.

Oh my goodness, bagpipes are absolutely dreadful, the devils instrument of torture. The Queen has a piper wake her up every morning I think it would slowly drive me insane.

His Lordship came to me on the poop, and after ordering certain signals to be made, about a quarter to noon, he said, 'Mr. Pasco, I wish to say to the fleet, ENGLAND CONFIDES THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY' and he added 'You must be quick, for I have one more to make which is for close action.' I replied, 'If your Lordship will permit me to substitute the confides for expects the signal will soon be completed, because the word expects is in the vocabulary, and confides must be spelt,' His Lordship replied, in haste, and with seeming satisfaction, 'That will do, Pasco, make it directly.'

—John Pasco

Nelly (my total all out favourite hero, and such a love) got shot poor old thing at the battle of Trafalgar; we have a statue of him up a pole and in his own square here in London, as i'm sure you know. His last words were interesting ‘kiss me Hardy’ Beatty recorded that Hardy knelt and kissed Nelson on the cheek. He then stood for a minute or two and then kissed him again. Nelson asked 'Who is that?', and on hearing that it was Hardy, replied 'God bless you, Hardy.'

The flags B and Z remained flying on the Victory, and the term BZ’s all-round is still used in the Royal Navy today as a nautical ‘well done’.

The signal is still hoisted on the Victory at her dry dock in Portsmouth on Trafalgar Day (21 October) every year although the signal flags are displayed all at once, running from fore to aft, rather than hoisted from the mizzenmast.

Posted Image

Excellent chapter Mark – thank you.

Oh my goodness, bagpipes are absolutely dreadful, the devils instrument of torture. The Queen has a piper wake her up every morning I think it would slowly drive me insane.

His Lordship came to me on the poop, and after ordering certain signals to be made, about a quarter to noon, he said, 'Mr. Pasco, I wish to say to the fleet, ENGLAND CONFIDES THAT EVERY MAN WILL DO HIS DUTY' and he added 'You must be quick, for I have one more to make which is for close action.' I replied, 'If your Lordship will permit me to substitute the confides for expects the signal will soon be completed, because the word expects is in the vocabulary, and confides must be spelt,' His Lordship replied, in haste, and with seeming satisfaction, 'That will do, Pasco, make it directly.'

—John Pasco

Nelly (my total all out favourite hero, and such a love) got shot poor old thing at the battle of Trafalgar; we have a statue of him up a pole and in his own square here in London, as i'm sure you know. His last words were interesting ‘kiss me Hardy’ Beatty recorded that Hardy knelt and kissed Nelson on the cheek. He then stood for a minute or two and then kissed him again. Nelson asked 'Who is that?', and on hearing that it was Hardy, replied 'God bless you, Hardy.'

The flags B and Z remained flying on the Victory, and the term BZ’s all-round is still used in the Royal Navy today as a nautical ‘well done’.

The signal is still hoisted on the Victory at her dry dock in Portsmouth on Trafalgar Day (21 October) every year although the signal flags are displayed all at once, running from fore to aft, rather than hoisted from the mizzenmast.

Posted Image

I think that Nelson's charisma must have been overwhelming. Contrast that with the dour attitude of the Duke of Wellington, and I think it would be much easier for me to follow Nelson to the gates of hell.

I've read a lot about Nelson, and never got even the slightest inkling that he was anything but strictly heterosexual. Hardy, on the other hand, is rumored to have played for the other team, so to speak.

• Like 1

Hi Mark.

You are right. Nelson was most certainly charismatic and almost exulted and venerated amongst many other things in England, and as you can see from these paragraphs taken from ‘Legacy of Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson and Monuments and memorials to Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson’.

“Nelson was regarded as a highly effective leader, and someone who was able to sympathise with the needs of his men. He based his command on love rather than authority, inspiring both his superiors and his subordinates with his considerable courage, commitment and charisma, dubbed 'the Nelson touch'. Nelson combined this talent with an adept grasp of strategy and politics, making him a highly successful naval commander.

However, Nelson's personality was complex, often characterised by a desire to be noticed, both by his superiors, and the general public. He was easily flattered by praise and dismayed when he felt he was not given sufficient credit for his actions. This led him to take risks, and to enthusiastically publicise his resultant successes”.

I think from a psychological view in this paragraph, there is a detectable ‘latency’, in Freudian terms, and is demonstrated in these lines amongst others: ‘based his command on love rather than authority’ in the RN at that time this was unheard of as brutality was more usual; and ‘a desire to be noticed’ what effeminate Gay man today doesn’t want to be noticed, in particular and in general we all like to be told we are good, kind and acceptable and recognised for what we do This aspect of Nelson can be demonstrated by his titles, listed below.

Nelson's influence continued long after his death, and saw periodic revivals of interest, especially during times of crisis in Britain. In the 1860s Poet Laureate Alfred Tennyson appealed to the image and tradition of Nelson, in order to oppose the defence cuts being made by Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone. First Sea Lord Jackie Fisher was a keen exponent of Nelson during the early years of the twentieth century, and often emphasised his legacy during his period of naval reform. Winston Churchill also found Nelson to be a source of inspiration during the Second World War. Nelson has been frequently depicted in art and literature; he appeared in paintings by Benjamin West and Arthur William Devis, and in books and biographies by John McArthur, James Stanier Clarke and Robert Southey. (Taken from Wikipedia)

Nelson's titles, as inscribed on his coffin and read out at the funeral by the Garter King at Arms, Sir Isaac Heard, were:

The Most Noble Lord Horatio Nelson, Viscount and Baron Nelson, of the Nile and of Burnham Thorpe in the County of Norfolk, Baron Nelson of the Nile and of Hilborough in the said County, Knight of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Vice Admiral of the White Squadron of the Fleet, Commander in Chief of his Majesty's Ships and Vessels in the Mediterranean, Duke of Bronté in the Kingdom of Sicily, Knight Grand Cross of the Sicilian Order of St Ferdinand and of Merit, Member of the Ottoman Order of the Crescent, Knight Grand Commander of the Order of St Joachim. (ibid)

If this is viewed from a modern perspective, there are many parallels in today’s society in that some gay men, revel in recognition, have struggled with coming to terms with their sexuality, which can often lead to disaster and loss of life and with this big debate on gay marriage etc; all of which takes bravery, ‘considerable courage, commitment and charisma’.

Gx

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..