Open Club  ·  282 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Unless a 14 year middie was a very good seaman, willing to work hard and study, they didn't get ahead. A spoiled, opinionated one would get the lash and be broken very quickly. Discipline on a ship was tough on laggards and the spoiled. It was a much different time with a different set of values. Kids had to grow up fast and the school of hard knocks was the rule rather than the exception.

Unless a 14 year middie was a very good seaman, willing to work hard and study, they didn't get ahead. A spoiled, opinionated one would get the lash and be broken very quickly. Discipline on a ship was tough on laggards and the spoiled. It was a much different time with a different set of values. Kids had to grow up fast and the school of hard knocks was the rule rather than the exception.

It appears I did a piss poor job of teasing that we Odyssey fans needed a polarizing figure that half of could hate and the other half love.  I was only teasing, but we do need something that would generate more bickering (like the Paternity thread enjoys).  Sorry if I confused anyone.  Lord Granger has always dealt swiftly to put any sprig of nobility that have acted like a spoiled brat into a proper frame of mind.  I never meant that our favorite story would ever have a real midshipman that got away with being a spoiled brat.

• Like 1

A 14 year old midshipman with Will's pedigree would probably be on a par with Granger, since here in the US we value money over bloodlines.  He'd get ahead even if he was an asshole.   :whistle:   The system of preferment in the Royal Navy was all-encompassing.

It appears I did a piss poor job of teasing that we Odyssey fans needed a polarizing figure that half of could hate and the other half love.  I was only teasing, but we do need something that would generate more bickering (like the Paternity thread enjoys).  Sorry if I confused anyone.  Lord Granger has always dealt swiftly to put any sprig of nobility that have acted like a spoiled brat into a proper frame of mind.  I never meant that our favorite story would ever have a real midshipman that got away with being a spoiled brat.

To be honest, I think that's my fault, because while I've covered a lot of ground with Odyssey, it hasn't been quite as exciting as some of the sections in other stories.  I feel confident it will have those moments in the future.  

And just for clarification, I'm finishing up grading now.  The only reason there are Paternity chapters posting is because the writing bug bit me for that story and I got ahead of myself.  Gives the edit and review process time.  

It's also a lot easier to write because it is not interwoven with history. You have to have your ducks in a row when you enter a famous battle lest you turn the tide of history.  I still think there is time to get Mr Llewellyn fished out of the sea. As I recall he was with an unfavorable sea captain when last we heard. So there is still hope. ;)

If not, we'll just create another one. :)

I think we just need to see more of the midshipmen we already have...  I still think that the one with the bagpipes, the Baron Kingsdale???, is going to play a major role at some point... 

I personally think that the main reason this story doesn't get as many comments is the sheer brilliance of the writing...  Most people are just too in awe to make any comments...

Will has a strong connection to the very,very wealthy Stef. He lives in the top one percent of rich people.  So that puts him in a social station that British royalty would have interest in. Like him or hate him, Will is a person that  people notice.

Granger could relate to a little rich boy like Will just as he did with Cavendish.  A character similar to Will would fit right in to the Bridgemont saga.  But we need Will in his own story where he is getting more action than everyone.

What is really amazing to me is how Dr. Arbour can write two different story lines so brilliantly.  First thing I check for when I go online is a posting by Mark.

Mark, it has been two weeks since you abandoned us on the edge of this cliff.  Can you give us an estimate when we might expect search and rescue.  Some of us are getting close to a panic attack.  I know flunking everyone who takes your class(s) isn't a realistic option, but it has crossed some of our weaker minds.

I'm seriously starting to twitch and shake here. My yahoo mail is sending me complaints about my refresh rate. I think they're looking at it as some kind of attack when in fact I'm just looking for a notice from Mark that doesn't have paternity in it somewhere. :,(

I just got power back on after being five days without any.  This was the biggest snow storm I have every had to deal with in my 65 years.

Now that power is back, the first thing I looked for was a new Odyssey chapter, but I see there is none.  Since I have been away for the site for 5 days, can some tell me if Odyssey is on hold or what?  I will look for myself when I can, but 5 days without power have left me with greater messes, like a fridge and freezer full of spoiled food.  I am procrastinating that by writing this note, but you have to admit you wouldn't want to do it either. 

Now I have no more excuses.

I just got power back on after being five days without any.  This was the biggest snow storm I have every had to deal with in my 65 years.

Now that power is back, the first thing I looked for was a new Odyssey chapter, but I see there is none.  Since I have been away for the site for 5 days, can some tell me if Odyssey is on hold or what?  I will look for myself when I can, but 5 days without power have left me with greater messes, like a fridge and freezer full of spoiled food.  I am procrastinating that by writing this note, but you have to admit you wouldn't want to do it either. 

Now I have no more excuses.

uhm, Silly Jimmy, why did't you set the frozen stuff out in the snow?

And no. There have been lots of Paternity Chapters but nothing for us lonely sailor loving types. We seem to be adrift in South America; marooned with the dragoons if you will.

uhm, Silly Jimmy, why did't you set the frozen stuff out in the snow?

And no. There have been lots of Paternity Chapters but nothing for us lonely sailor loving types. We seem to be adrift in South America; marooned with the dragoons if you will.

Thanks Ricky.  Yes, I would have used the snow for a backup fridge, except I only spent 1 night at home and couldn't believe it would be out that long.  I stayed at a empty rent house that had electric and water connected, but of course, no internet.  I feel like a big idiot, but my fridge needed cleaning anyway.  

Thanks Ricky.  Yes, I would have used the snow for a backup fridge, except I only spent 1 night at home and couldn't believe it would be out that long.  I stayed at a empty rent house that had electric and water connected, but of course, no internet.  I feel like a big idiot, but my fridge needed cleaning anyway.  

My bad, I didn't mean to imply anything. Believe it or not MOST people would not think of using the natural environment to replace that which is plugged into the wall. I only know because I lived in Alaska for six years and it was a common occurrence. And we have electricity and my fridge still has some unplanned science experiments growing in there.

Mark, sorry, I wasn't subscribed to your blog. But I've read it now. As long as you're not going all comicality on us, I'm good. (When last I checked, he had some sixty plus stories open. "A Class by Himself" hasn't had an update for over 18 months.)

• 3 weeks later...

An update for all of you long-suffering Granger fans.  I have almost finished Chapter 26, and expect that it will be posted within the next few days.  It will take a while before the posting pace picks up.  If I was smart, I'd wait until I had a few chapters in hand before I started putting them up, but you all have been so patient, I'm not going to do that.  That means you'll have to roll along with me, and sometimes wait a bit between installments.  I think this way is better, giving you the choice.  

• Like 1
An update for all of you long-suffering Granger fans.  I have almost finished Chapter 26, and expect that it will be posted within the next few days.  It will take a while before the posting pace picks up.  If I was smart, I'd wait until I had a few chapters in hand before I started putting them up, but you all have been so patient, I'm not going to do that.  That means you'll have to roll along with me, and sometimes wait a bit between installments.  I think this way is better, giving you the choice.  

OH thank Gawd! I'll put the razor blades back in the drawer.

As for the choice, there isn't one. We'll wait in between for the next. Knowing there was one sitting that could be read waiting for a stock pile is simply not an option.

That was flat AWESOME Mark. Love every word of it. As usual, he has rescued another nobleman. I wonder if the five he has conscripted into his crew will maintain their allegiance when they get closer to their own lands. Of course the men left were probably conscripted into the Spanish Navy as well so its not like they have any allegiance to spain.

I look forward to the great battle that most assuredly will occur when they get near that particular port. It looks like it may be a couple of chapters away however as the Cape is going to be some nasty business. My understanding is that there ARE no calm seas there at ANY time of year. Certainly not a place you want to encounter another hostile force!

I can't wait for the adventure. Thanks again Mark. It was truly a surprise and a very welcome one.

;)

PS - I was just kidding about the razor blades. The plan was really to use a rusty cheese grater.

• Like 1

Thank God...  I can stop self medicating and start to reduce my lithium intact...  I was so excited to see a new chapter in the Bridgemont saga up and posted when I arose this morning. 

Well, I am sure that Granger and the crew will battle through the waves and wind and arrive safetly on the Pacific side of the Cape.  When they get there the adventure can really begin.  Granger has picked up an ally that can arrange problems for the Spanish on shore while Granger goes after their ships. 

I can't see Granger having a problem with mutiny; he treats his crew so much better than the average seaman in the British navy was treated at the time.  That being said, his solution to the Spaniard that attacked the native did show the true power of the Captain. 

I am happy to see a chapter and think you made the right decision, we can all learn a little patience...  Okay, maybe not but we can try...

• Like 1

The interesting take-away that I see is that Granger somewhat surprised his officers with his decisive handling of the rogue Spanish sailor.  As it was not a member of the crew, the crew would have no resentment, but would be reminded of the authority of the ship's captain.  As they head into the stormy waters of the Cape, without radar, radio, GPS, decent navigational maps or any of the modern maritime aids, discipline may well be required in an emergency. 

Phillips mention of rogue waves and the vagaries of the wind  called "williwaws' blowing off the mountains was timely too.  Hopefully, the Bacchante will not be found wanting if faced with such perils. 

With rough seas, cold rations, and sea spray, misery seems to be their fate until they round the horn. 

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 1

just a comment on rounding cape Horn - my father did it 20+ years ago and has photos of what could be of a mill pond! there was a gental long swell, but otherwise not a riplle to be seen.  the blokes he was with, who had done that sam journey may times, said while they had seen it calm they had never seen it that calm!

I, too, enjoyed my Grainger fix. my beloved says I sleep better when I have had my Grainger fix........  :-)

• Like 1
just a comment on rounding cape Horn - my father did it 20+ years ago and has photos of what could be of a mill pond! there was a gental long swell, but otherwise not a riplle to be seen.  the blokes he was with, who had done that sam journey may times, said while they had seen it calm they had never seen it that calm!

I, too, enjoyed my Grainger fix. my beloved says I sleep better when I have had my Grainger fix........  :-)

Thanks to all of you for your comments.  The Horn is quite a challenge, and as Daddy and Centex noted, it must have been a major challenge back in the 1790s.  

I did some research on this section of the story, and the phenomenon you're talking about is sometimes called "Drake's Lake" (as opposed to Drake's Passage) because the weather can suddenly become wonderfully calm.  That doesn't seem to be the norm, though.   :music:

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..