Open Club  ·  280 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Mark,

Several short questions - I've tied to go back and find the answers but wasn't able to find them without re-reading everything

Who is Llewellyn's father?

What happened to Brookstone? He was one of the Lt's on the old ship right?

You mentioned that there was a space for Winkler in the new cabin - was that a slip up on your part? Last we heard he hadn't decided if he was going to stay on land and enjoy his new wealth with his rather well hung 'friend' or return to sea.

That's all for now I suppose - more as I think things up.

Andy

Granger's innovation in fitting the iron tanks for his new ship and personally supervising the initial installation shows his dedication to his craft.

I mentioned something about the iron water tanks a while back...I was concerned about rust I think. Posted Image Maybe that wouldn't be a problem if they stay sealed up. I guess it would not have occurred to them, but why wouldn't they filter the water through a cloth so they wouldn't have to drink green pond scum? It may not make the water any more palatable taste-wise, but at least it would look better! Oh, for a charcoal filtering system!

Mark,

Several short questions - I've tied to go back and find the answers but wasn't able to find them without re-reading everything

Who is Llewellyn's father?

What happened to Brookstone? He was one of the Lt's on the old ship right?

You mentioned that there was a space for Winkler in the new cabin - was that a slip up on your part? Last we heard he hadn't decided if he was going to stay on land and enjoy his new wealth with his rather well hung 'friend' or return to sea.

That's all for now I suppose - more as I think things up.

Andy

We don't really know who Llywellyn's father is, other than he is an industrialist, and that Caroline invested money into his foundry.

We don't know what happened to Brookstone. It's probably that the Admiralty reassigned him after Belvidera was paid off.

You're correct about Winkler, in that we don't know if he'll be there or not, but Granger is presuming that he will, or if he isn't, he'll have another servant who can fill the void and sleep there.

I mentioned something about the iron water tanks a while back...I was concerned about rust I think. Posted Image Maybe that wouldn't be a problem if they stay sealed up. I guess it would not have occurred to them, but why wouldn't they filter the water through a cloth so they wouldn't have to drink green pond scum? It may not make the water any more palatable taste-wise, but at least it would look better! Oh, for a charcoal filtering system!

Good suggestions. Quite frankly, I have no idea how they dealt with rust, or with filtration. I suspect they felt lucky to be able to drink water, period, even if it was nasty.

Peerage

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Peerage (disambiguation). The Peerage Posted ImageThe peerage assembled in the House of Lords addressed by Queen Anne by Peter Tillemans Royal Coll. RCIN #405301 Holder Dignity Duke Dukedom Marquess Marquessate Earl Earldom Viscount Viscountcy Baron Barony

The peerage is a legal system of largely hereditary titles in the United Kingdom, which constitute the ranks of British nobility and is part of the British honours system. The term is used both collectively to refer to the entire body of noble titles (or a subdivision thereof), and individually to refer to a specific title (and generally has an initial capital in the former case and not the latter). The holder of a peerage is termed a peer.

In modern practice, no new hereditary peerages are created (except for members of the Royal Family), but only life peerages which carry the personal right to sit and vote in the House of Lords. Peerages, like all modern British honours, are created by the British monarch, taking effect when letters patent are affixed with the Great Seal of the Realm. Her Majesty's Government advises the Sovereign on a new peerage, under a process which scrutinises appointments to political honours. Currently a few hereditary peers, who are elected to represent the others, also retain the right to sit and vote in the House of Lords, as of 1 July 2011 only 90 members sitting by virtue of a hereditary peerage remain.[1]

The Sovereign is considered the fount of honour, and as "the fountain and source of all dignities cannot hold a dignity from himself",[2] cannot hold a peerage (although the British Sovereign uses the style "Duke of Lancaster"). If an individual is neither the Sovereign nor a peer, he is a commoner. Members of a peer's family who are not themselves peers (including such members of the Royal Family) are also commoners; the British system thus differs fundamentally from continental European ones, where entire families, rather than individuals, were ennobled.

Certain personal privileges are afforded to all peers and peeresses, but the main distinction of a peerage nowadays is the style or title and traditional forms of address. The claim to an existing hereditary peerage is regulated by the House of Lords through its Committee for Privileges and Conduct.

Well that explains a lot. They can vote on advice to the King. So it says they have the kings ear. And not much more I'm guessing. But back then that was pretty important. And of course the higher your peerage the more clout you obviously had. I mean, I know this is making it rather simplistic but . . .

This is where I get to be really geeky and discuss this point; Its actually been bugging me for some time now because Mark is a little ahead of his time here. Iron tanks weren't actually trialled in the royal Navy until 1809 (limited trials has taken place earlier, but these were actually wooden tanks with a metal lining, and not true metal tanks). The pumps that kept the water filtered and fresh were only invented in 1811, and so Granger being ahead of his time also meant the water he was drinking would have been progressively lower in quality.

The original designs for the tanks involved them being painted internally to prevent rust. But the truth is that iron tanks didn't really take off until galvanization became viable some 50 years after this story takes place. One additional point is that each tank would have 2 tons of water, and for a full supply you would actually have needed over 50 tanks, it is very unlikely that any ship would have had SO MUCH water stored in iron tanks. More likely there would be a compliment of wooden caskets too. Mark's description here of "the tank" being fitted is therefore of slight poetic license. Though this doesn't detract from the story.

Want to know how they filtered the water otherwise? Answer - in similar ways to the filtering of wine. "fining" is a process whereby an agent is added that will bind organic molecules and sink them to the bottom of a container. Common in winemaking, some of the things are pretty gruesome (dried blood for instance, is a good fining agent). It is more likely that on a ship they would have used products derived from the swim bladder of a fish, or some form of gelatin.

Well that explains a lot. They can vote on advice to the King. So it says they have the kings ear. And not much more I'm guessing. But back then that was pretty important. And of course the higher your peerage the more clout you obviously had. I mean, I know this is making it rather simplistic but . . .

They didn't vote to "advise" the king even then. The king didn't have the power to defy both the commons and the lords assembled without popular support. George III was not an absolute monarch. He was an executive monarch to be sure, but make no mistake that a vote in the house of lords was as binding on the king then as it would be today on the Queen. This is post- glorious revolution politics, with years of monarchs delegating more and more responsibility to ministers.

And then as now, money was power. A baron with a fortune and friends was more powerful than an impoverished duke with many enemies (again, Dukes of marlborough are good examples). Seniority was no match for favour and influence.

• Like 2

frankly, I would not have minded being an impoverished Duke of Malborough - after all I would get to live at Blenheim and Malborough House. !

Yeah, but having to choose which rooms to heat and which to leave cold would put a bit of a downer on the whole experience....

• Like 1

They didn't vote to "advise" the king even then. The king didn't have the power to defy both the commons and the lords assembled without popular support. George III was not an absolute monarch. He was an executive monarch to be sure, but make no mistake that a vote in the house of lords was as binding on the king then as it would be today on the Queen. This is post- glorious revolution politics, with years of monarchs delegating more and more responsibility to ministers.

And then as now, money was power. A baron with a fortune and friends was more powerful than an impoverished duke with many enemies (again, Dukes of marlborough are good examples). Seniority was no match for favour and influence.

Thanks so much for this. Seems like it would kinda take all the fun out of being the King!

Hmmm, perhaps Dictator would be more fun. Posted Image

Mark! Mr Llewellyn? Is he coming along? It's a must after that picture you posted of him in your group. Posted Image lol And what about Jeffers? And when the crew gets there, will one of them know seaman hook? Is there a secret we should know about him? I would say he's a handy guy to have around but I think that might be a little short of the mark. (ooo a double pun) Posted Image

Thanks so much for this. Seems like it would kinda take all the fun out of being the King!

Well you know the saying.... Power Corrupts. And absolute power.... is actually pretty neat

• Like 1

Well you know the saying.... Power Corrupts. And absolute power.... is actually pretty neat

Hmmm, I wonder...

I, do hereby decree myself to be Empress of the Known Universe... All bow down and worship me...

Did it work????

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I, do hereby decree myself to be Empress of the Known Universe... All bow down and worship me...

We all know better.... Sharon obviously already holds this position... well, so she says. im not so sure but I dont dare argue with her

I, I'll have you know, am a Goddess (and, if the situation involves rainbows and/or Hersheys kisses, a Queen), which is way better than a two-bit Empress.

Have a nice day! Posted Image

Did somebody call for a queen? Here I am! (Oh damn, the positions already taken.) Posted Image

Hmmm, I wonder...

Did it work????

Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

If I say no will you let me kiss the gunnar's daughter? Posted Image Posted Image

Hmmm, I have been wondering, what if Granger does have to take Teasdale and Sir Phillip Kerry out to the South Seas, plus Somers as his marine Cpt, and Lt Robey has his 1st Lt on the trip out then Lord Chartley, Somers, and Lt Robey on his trip back; will Granger ever get to sleep??? How much sex do you really have to have before it is dangerous???

• Like 1

Hmmm, I have been wondering, what if Granger does have to take Teasdale and Sir Phillip Kerry out to the South Seas, plus Somers as his marine Cpt, and Lt Robey has his 1st Lt on the trip out then Lord Chartley, Somers, and Lt Robey on his trip back; will Granger ever get to sleep??? How much sex do you really have to have before it is dangerous???

I think that is an experiment that our dear George would be only too willing to perform!

• Like 1

I'll bet you know the answer to that question ;-)

The Odyssey of the Bacchante staring George Granger and a cast of like minded men (who are distinct and sometimes troubling characters) is starting to shape up as a very complicated journey. I foresee plenty of opportunity for some real drama.

• Like 2

O' what a tangled web we weave.... Mr. Arbour, I do believe this maybe a truly tangled web by the time the Baccchante sails to the south seas and back... An Odyssey worthy of Homer; minus all the female sirens of course, I do hope for some grand adventure however.

I really don't know how Granger can keep those baths so clean, he must have a person that cleans them on a daily basis as much of a workout as they all get. I was glad to see Somers and Granger begin to repair their relationship, while I have to admit Cavendish sort of bores me somewhat, but he will at least be left behind soon.

I wonder, could we really begin to hope for an Earldom for Granger? I never really thought that he could possibly be elevated that far but... I still think the Viscount position is more likely but damn, an Earldom... That would just kill Freddie and Davina...

I wonder, could we really begin to hope for an Earldom for Granger? I never really thought that he could possibly be elevated that far but... I still think the Viscount position is more likely but damn, an Earldom... That would just kill Freddie and Davina...

So would a Viscountcy. It places George just ahead of his brother in the Order of Precedence of Great Britain until the death of his father (when Freddie would become an Earl). Moreover, Freddie would have to call his younger brother "my Lord" until such a time as he is elevated.

Mark...I really was hoping for the answer to the question we are all waiting for and which you so cleverly hinted to and then avoided and quickly sidestepped...damn!Posted Image I think you owe us another chapter soon, like maybe Wednesday???? Or sooner! This is not unlike when he gave the ruby of Oran to the king...well the anticipation of the thing I guess...(heavy sigh!)

All of your chapters are worth waiting for, so I guess I can wait for this one too, although I am old and frail so maybe you wouldn't deny me...would you????

• Like 1

All of your chapters are worth waiting for, so I guess I can wait for this one too, although I am old and frail so maybe you wouldn't deny me...would you????

Pulling the age sympathy card Clydee? If it works, we are all in your debt!

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..