Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

The poor purser. His station seems to correspond to what we would call middle class and he also seems to have those middle class sensibilites. Being British, I suspect he usually minds his own business. He comes to his captain bearing terrible news about the ship's surgeon and has to describe how the vital crewman was apprehended and then must sit stonefaced as the captain and his Lt. get the giggles like a couple of kids. Can't you just picture it. Posted Image

That's exactly it. In HMS Belvidera, when they were in Roses, I actually gave us a little glimpse into Andrew's mind.

Yes but in Roses there was a cow that changed loyalties. Here, there are just cows.

But how is it that the purser even knew? Is there possibly a new definition to the purser's pound?

Edited by ricky

I have to wonder given that Grainger's Ship is essentially ready for the seas and the Nore Munity all but eliminating Englands capability to bottle up the Dutch fleet if orders were not sent for Grainger to join Duncan's remaining fleet of 2 ships of the line and a few frigates to stop any breakput of the Dutch fleet. Sort of a shake down cruise while the powers to be determine Bertie's replacement.

• Like 1

I have to wonder given that Grainger's Ship is essentially ready for the seas and the Nore Munity all but eliminating Englands capability to bottle up the Dutch fleet if orders were not sent for Grainger to join Duncan's remaining fleet of 2 ships of the line and a few frigates to stop any breakput of the Dutch fleet. Sort of a shake down cruise while the powers to be determine Bertie's replacement.

A good possibility but I think he has some land business to finish yet. But it would be a nice to have a bit of a shakedown cruise. But I think that would make Granger even more anxious to be on his way. I mean really, Just a taste would be a tease for him and most unfair. And Welcome Kookie!

I've actually pondered that, but I'm probably not going to do it. It delays Granger's departure longer than I want. Good thinking, Kookie!

Perhaps someone we've never met gonna be the awaited replacement.......and the drama will be delicious if he's a bigot

Quite possibly Posted Image

Keep in mind that in those days, 'bigot' was not really an issue, since society was purposely stratified.

Quite possibly Posted Image

Keep in mind that in those days, 'bigot' was not really an issue, since society was purposely stratified.

Yes, but there had been people in navy known to have turned a blind eye or two, confronted with blatant acts of ....ummmm.......Greek sex.

I still think we might need to consider Iggy for the replacement. He would be an interesting choice and one that would bring his own set of problems and issues.

I do think that when Granger finally get's to sail, it will be straight for the Far East. You only really had certain times of the year that you could set sail and get there in a way to avoid the worst of the storms and that timeframe is closing rapidly...

I still think we might need to consider Iggy for the replacement. He would be an interesting choice and one that would bring his own set of problems and issues.

I do think that when Granger finally get's to sail, it will be straight for the Far East. You only really had certain times of the year that you could set sail and get there in a way to avoid the worst of the storms and that timeframe is closing rapidly...

oooh, good point. Forgot all about the weather and timing. You had either the doldrums or the hurricanes. I'm surprised we haven't seen more pirate activities. I mean we had the ones in the Mediterranean but I'm talking swash buckling types.I mean I know there were not that many and they would avoid military ships but it would be fun to sink a lesser known one wouldn't it? Maybe rescue a damsel or dude in distress. I know, I know. Did that already with Don Jacobo but hey what if he rescued one of his own. Like hmmm, say Mr. Llewellyn? Posted Image Or some other little nose miner. Posted Image

In any event, Mark better get writing. Hurricane season is upon us! Posted Image

I am wondering how Andrews knew of Dr Jackson's arrest? Is Andrews involved with the good Dr.? If someone had just notified the ship, wouldn't one of the Lt. be sent to inform Granger? Seems to me those two bare (I know it is the wrong word) watching. Posted Image

• Like 2

oooh, good point. Forgot all about the weather and timing. You had either the doldrums or the hurricanes. I'm surprised we haven't seen more pirate activities. I mean we had the ones in the Mediterranean but I'm talking swash buckling types.I mean I know there were not that many and they would avoid military ships but it would be fun to sink a lesser known one wouldn't it? Maybe rescue a damsel or dude in distress. I know, I know. Did that already with Don Jacobo but hey what if he rescued one of his own. Like hmmm, say Mr. Llewellyn? Posted Image Or some other little nose miner. Posted Image

In any event, Mark better get writing. Hurricane season is upon us! Posted Image

Pirate activity is going to be specific to the area. In the Western Mediterranean, there were Barbary pirates, as we've seen in the story so far. The Pirates of the Caribbean (SMILE) are in the Caribbean, and Granger hasn't spent much time there. There are also pirates in the Indies, but I have research to do on them still.

Well blowing them into the path of the Baccante is what hurricanes are for! Geeze do I gotta do it ALL for yaz? And remember, its the rough seas that makes it a her-acane. If it was just a good blow job then it would have to be a hisacane.

Well blowing them into the path of the Baccante is what hurricanes are for! Geeze do I gotta do it ALL for yaz? And remember, its the rough seas that makes it a her-acane. If it was just a good blow job then it would have to be a hisacane.

Nope. Hurricanes blow east to west. Pirates would need to travel west to east. Posted Image

Sometimes I hate logic. Posted Image

I know, I know, it's illogical to hate logic. Hmmm, literally AND figuratively I suppose. Even saying it is oxymoronic sounding.

(Oxymoronic? Hey! I'm a writer. I claim certain rights. Poetic and otherwise. Posted Image )

Alright then, keep your pirates! But give me some action and excitement. ;)

WOW Mark. What a chapter. Meaty if you'll pardon the pun.

It will be interesting to see how you play the passage off at the Noire. He is a favorite of the mutineers but Granger will be quick to tell them they are wrong on this one. Mr Parker will probably feel his neck getting longer at those words. And if they try and convince the crew to join them, . . . well it may make Granger cry from the loyalty. And I suspect Phillips may have a hand in that if it happens. Hmmm, I forgot about Phillips. But surely Mr Robey wouldn't do something with a person under his command. That would be poor form. Winkler however, although he is technically is not directly under his supervision. He answers to Granger after all. (And what is his [Winkler's] other job? Besides the captain's mess? Everyone had more than one job. No?) And had we no ships boys? Powder monkeys I think they were called? The ones who turn the glass, ring the bell for the time? We don't hear much of them. And shouldn't Mr Robey have a cabin boy from his captaincy laying around someplace? His own Winkler? Granger knowing what was waiting for Calvert upon his return would be hard pressed to deny him such a luxury. Even though it was probably unheard of for a first LT to have a cabin boy.

Just my thoughts.

Been thinking about how Mark's twisted little mind can defuse this situation with the Dr and Maidstone and have come up with the answer. The person who replaces Bertie will have to be a relative or perhaps Maidstone himself. Now wouldn't THAT make the cheese more binding? I mean if they saw action and the doctor saves the life of the person then the debt or the reality of the non-crime would hit home. AND since the replacement was injured he would probably have to return to England and Bertie would get to stay after all.

A trip for nothing? Not likely, lots of prizes to be had and action to be seen.

There is one thing about reading a new chapter of Odyssey.

I know it will be another week before we get a new one.

One would think as old as I am, I would have gained some patience.

• Like 1

There is one thing about reading a new chapter of Odyssey.

I know it will be another week before we get a new one.

One would think as old as I am, I would have gained some patience.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Those are my exact thoughts when ever I finish a chapter. The only worse feeling is when he comes to a close of a book. It just sucks that we can't invade Marks mind and just read it as he thinks it. Of course that may be akin to being able to lick yourself. Who would leave the bedroom?

Been thinking about how Mark's twisted little mind can defuse this situation with the Dr and Maidstone and have come up with the answer. The person who replaces Bertie will have to be a relative or perhaps Maidstone himself. Now wouldn't THAT make the cheese more binding? I mean if they saw action and the doctor saves the life of the person then the debt or the reality of the non-crime would hit home. AND since the replacement was injured he would probably have to return to England and Bertie would get to stay after all.

A trip for nothing? Not likely, lots of prizes to be had and action to be seen.

While your senario might be possible, there are a couple of problems with it. First Dr. Jackson's situation will probably be resolved before the ship sails, it serves no purpose to leave the Dr with a noose around his neck. However a Maidstone as a replacement for Bertie is possible but would lead to animosity aboard ship. Second, the reason for replacing Bertie as Govenor will not permit his staying. He(Bertie) has apparently step on toes in the St James Company and must go, pure and simple.

• Like 1

I am wondering if Mark will get around to mentioning any more about the little manse that George is having the architect build for him that he met while touring his property on the isle before we set off on this little odyssey?

I am wondering if Mark will get around to mentioning any more about the little manse that George is having the architect build for him that he met while touring his property on the isle before we set off on this little odyssey?

I'm doubtful about that. Besides, it would be much better for Granger to get back and tour it when it's all finished.

While your senario might be possible, there are a couple of problems with it. First Dr. Jackson's situation will probably be resolved before the ship sails, it serves no purpose to leave the Dr with a noose around his neck. However a Maidstone as a replacement for Bertie is possible but would lead to animosity aboard ship. Second, the reason for replacing Bertie as Govenor will not permit his staying. He(Bertie) has apparently step on toes in the St James Company and must go, pure and simple.

Hmm, well if the king gave him a pardon, then Maidstone wouldn't want to openly violate that. But he wouldn't be happy about it. It wouldn't be the first unpleasant passenger Georger has carried. As for Bertie staying, Time heals all wounds. It'll be 6-8 months before they can even get there. If circumstances change because his replacement can't handle the job, it is conceivable that Granger would be instructed to leave him there pending another replacement. And of course they could be placed on another ship or Granger could return and be asked again. (Not likely) But if there is no other qualified person to govern, then why not leave the one who has shown he already can. Better that than to leave the place unmanned. So on that part I'll quote that cuter Bieber kid. "Never Say Never"

Remember he is being replaced because of financial jealousy. That can be written off as a "Well we tried" kind of thing. It was probably a fox thing anyways. Who knows. It may have even been a Maidstone thing. He IS after all involved with the spice trade and John Company, right?

This was a great story, I just love getting to know backstory on the people in this series... It is just those touches that make the Bridgemont series one of the best I have ever read...

I really don't see Maidstone being the one sent to replace Bertie. From what little has been said about him, he just doesn't seem to be the type of person that would give up London for the tropics; after all, he has already made his fortune... Plus, I don't care if this guy is richer than the Grangers at a certain point in that time and place; who you were was more important than how much money you had. Maidstone is after all only a merchant, it doesn't sound like he is very high in society. Even if he was in the lower or middle level of society, you would have expected Granger to at least recognize his name...

I think Mark will come up with a truly great way of getting the ship out of Nore and it will be something we never thought of...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..