Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

I was mulling over this saga funnily enough before seeing a new chapter was posted. It was of course excellent, but I've been very much looking to the future in all areas currently, even pleasure reading. I know i'll be an avid reader until the end but was thinking as Grangers seniority rises will slight historical liberties be taken to include Granger in more prominent roles, say in the Battle of Waterloo (scratch that its Trafalgar, I'm a therapist in training not a historian :P)? I know this is of course years away and I'm glad for it, I expect his exploits will span the following decade & we've many exciting adventures to go on! Posted Image

(The point I tried to raise but didn't do succinctly enough is, is there already a line you've thought you wouldn't cross in terms of his involvement)?

Edited by BeysJoshersLepton V2

Good chapter indeed! It seems we've resolved some of the family issues, but now the king might be vexed with Granger??? I think not...maybe he's interested in George's take on the "mutiny" and therefore would have a better feel for what to do about it. I think Spencer was in on it, but can't really agree publicly with George, as he's junior to most officers there. He knows George has a good feel for the crewmen and his take on what they are asking would be important. I think both Spencer and the King respect George enough to know he has good sense, but they can't publicly say that about a junior officer. I do think he has a lot of credibility with both of them, and that's why I think he was asked to go along. It makes sense to me now anyway.

We all know I am usually correct in figuring these things out...Posted Image

• Like 1

I was mulling over this saga funnily enough before seeing a new chapter was posted. It was of course excellent, but I've been very much looking to the future in all areas currently, even pleasure reading. I know i'll be an avid reader until the end but was thinking as Grangers seniority rises will slight historical liberties be taken to include Granger in more prominent roles, say in the Battle of Waterloo (scratch that its Trafalgar, I'm a therapist in training not a historian Posted Image)? I know this is of course years away and I'm glad for it, I expect his exploits will span the following decade & we've many exciting adventures to go on! Posted Image

(The point I tried to raise but didn't do succinctly enough is, is there already a line you've thought you wouldn't cross in terms of his involvement)?

I'm not sure. I like having him involved in pivotal events, because it brings them to life for all of us (inasmuch as I can write it that way). They do require more research, though. I think that it becomes tougher, as you noted, when he becomes more senior, but rest assured I'll figure a way around things. Posted Image

There are some lines I can't cross, though. It's been explained to me that Granger can't have sex with truly heroic figures of the era (the most obvious being Nelson). I guess that would extend to Wellington, too, although it would have been good for him, because I always felt like he had a stick up his ass. Posted Image

Good chapter indeed! It seems we've resolved some of the family issues, but now the king might be vexed with Granger??? I think not...maybe he's interested in George's take on the "mutiny" and therefore would have a better feel for what to do about it. I think Spencer was in on it, but can't really agree publicly with George, as he's junior to most officers there. He knows George has a good feel for the crewmen and his take on what they are asking would be important. I think both Spencer and the King respect George enough to know he has good sense, but they can't publicly say that about a junior officer. I do think he has a lot of credibility with both of them, and that's why I think he was asked to go along. It makes sense to me now anyway.

We all know I am usually correct in figuring these things out...Posted Image

I think that you're right about this one. Posted Image

Never understood how a gay man can really be considered a vegetarian..... LOL.....

Simple answer that one. He doesn't eat it, he just sucks the juices from it. Just like when grandpa lost all his teeth. Grandma would chew his steak for him. He said she got all the flavor. I guess Grandma was a vegetarian.

Go figure.

Anyone else completely grossed out by that memory?

And yes, I have been scared for life by it.

lol, Obviously!

Hey Mark, its Sunday. I need something fresh from the HMS factory to help get this picture out of my head.

Simple answer that one. He doesn't eat it, he just sucks the juices from it. Just like when grandpa lost all his teeth. Grandma would chew his steak for him. He said she got all the flavor. I guess Grandma was a vegetarian.

Go figure.

Anyone else completely grossed out by that memory?

And yes, I have been scared for life by it.

lol, Obviously!

Hey Mark, its Sunday. I need something fresh from the HMS factory to help get this picture out of my head.

OMG...I thought I would be able to resist picturing this, but I can't!!! Ewwwww!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Is it Saturday or Sunday that we get our Odyssey fix?

Perhaps Mark didn't want the crowds rushing away from the Jubilee to read his chapter? You know, it might create an awkward quiet moment if the crowds disappeared from her majesty's celebration ahead of her arrival.

Completely understandable of course.

Granger our hero has sailed the ocean blue

Granger our hero serves the King so true

Caroline stays home and protects George's back

Caroline makes sure that her behaviour now has tact

Cavendish has to stay even when he wants to go

Cavendish knows that he has but to stay or go

Mark must bring forth a new post

Mark knows the time is near to post

Edited by centexhairysub

A fantastic chapter Mark. And yet another cliff hanger. Spencer's office first thing in the morning? He must be asking himself, will this guy ever stop? I can only guess. He needs someone to handle the transition from mutineers to subordinates. That is something that will have to be done carefully. The men will be uneasy thinking that the admiralty was going to renig on the amnesty part. Even with a royal pardon. It would have to be terrifying for the rather uneducated delegates. And even more for the average seaman.

And then there is the matter of the lieutenant! Who will be this lucky lad? A Wlcox? A Mann? Or worse yet, A Spencer? Who ever it is, they are destined for the other side of the world with the chances of returning not all that good. Personally, I'd like to see Mr Llewellyn.

And perhaps Arthur will make the trip after all, as long as Holmquist is made his liaison for the journey. But what happens when it is time to leave Arthur there and for Holmquist to return to duty?

The possibilities makes my hair hurt Mark. I can't wait to see what happens next.

I just loved the latest chapter of this story... I swear when Granger and Holmquist were interrupted and it turned out to be Arthur; I just knew how it was going to turn out... Maybe Holmquist can be assigned to assist Arthur on the whole trip, I could even see him staying there with Arthur in the Far East... Sometimes when you find the right person that enjoys the right thing, you just don't want to let them go.

I do agree with ricky that Granger will probably be sent to inform the seamen that the bill has passed and been signed and the mutiny can end. It will need a deft touch and we all know Granger has that and some to spare. I doubt we have the Welsh midshipman back, especially as a 1st Lt, which is what Granger really needs. While Robey has many good qualities, a trip like this will need someone with a little more experience. You have to wonder if it wll be a blast from the past, or someone new to the story.

I really enjoyed the touches about Granger's presentation to the House of Lords. From what I have read, they seemed to be very accurate. It is those touches that make Mark's stories a cut above the rest. I just can't wait for the voyage to begin...

I just loved the latest chapter of this story... I swear when Granger and Holmquist were interrupted and it turned out to be Arthur; I just knew how it was going to turn out... Maybe Holmquist can be assigned to assist Arthur on the whole trip, I could even see him staying there with Arthur in the Far East... Sometimes when you find the right person that enjoys the right thing, you just don't want to let them go.

I do agree with ricky that Granger will probably be sent to inform the seamen that the bill has passed and been signed and the mutiny can end. It will need a deft touch and we all know Granger has that and some to spare. I doubt we have the Welsh midshipman back, especially as a 1st Lt, which is what Granger really needs. While Robey has many good qualities, a trip like this will need someone with a little more experience. You have to wonder if it wll be a blast from the past, or someone new to the story.

I really enjoyed the touches about Granger's presentation to the House of Lords. From what I have read, they seemed to be very accurate. It is those touches that make Mark's stories a cut above the rest. I just can't wait for the voyage to begin...

Well said. But we gotta rescue the little Welshman from the clutches of the captain that has him. We know it is not one Summers approves of. It would be just awful if it turned out to be a Mann or a Wilcox. Especially when they found out he was formerly on-board one of Granger's ships. Perhaps Cavendish can assist here. Or maybe he can be rescued on the voyage. He just really added some color to the story.

Granger will have to make sure that if he gives his word to the men that no retribution will be sought, that it holds weight. And quite frankly, I'm not so sure that Spencer's word carries that much weight anymore. And he'll need assurances that the captains will adhere to the agreement. Nothing short of a parchment with the royal wax at the bottom will do here I'm afraid. Those in charge have shown bad faith more than once in all this. And Granger will not want to put his name on the line for something he has no real control over.

It would be interesting to see how they ended this in reality. We know the results, but wat about the method of termination for the strike. Fear of longer necks would be high.

And what of the new house Granger is having built? Will we see/hear more about that before he leaves? And what of Freddie and Davina? Now that he is back in the good graces of the King, will he be able to intercede? Or will they deem that Freddie continue on and Davina stay? Lots going on. And as usual, the answers seem to come with more questions. But such is real life. And Mark has fleshed these characters out so well that he's got his readers gossiping like old women about them. In both series! What greater reaction could any author ask for?

Well, I can see Granger going to Spithead and giving the crews his personal word that the Royal pardon is real and that they can rely on it. Spencer will be the one that really has to control the captains and officers but you would have to think that Granger backed up by the Royal pardon would be more influential with the actual seamen.

We know that this mutiny ends peacefully while the latter one at Nore, where Wilcox is, ends with bloodshed and some hangings. I sure do hope that Wilcox ends up blooded in that one; although Granger really should be gone before that one even really starts.

While I agree that having Llewellyn along might brighten the story, the odds of Granger running into him with so many ships at Spithead is a little remote. I am more interested in who the new 1st Lt is going to be, I vote for someone new although I can think of several blast from the past that would be interesting as well....

• 2 weeks later...

methinks our boy has a new toy! something to play with in the bath! just when he needs it.

On a more mundane point - it seems that the midset of a British Tar was something only the most extraordinary psychologist could get any sort of a grip on.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING Mark! Would you believe that starting with your announcement of your holiday, I began at the very beginning. The VERY beginning! And I was dreading the end of the 8th chapter of Odessy because I knew it was the last until you posted again. And I was two paragraphs short of that finish when you posted CH 09. Most fortuitous! Thanks so very much and I hope your holiday was superb, for you and for your family.

Now on to matters at hand. Quite the diversion. I was not even aware of this action. I mean, you mentioned that blood had been shed but I didn't see it as significant with the Royal Pardon and all. I assumed it covered everyone. I really expected that they would lake confidence in the resolution. One thing that was not addressed and I think will have to be dealt with yet is the list of captains who were to be relieved for masturbating too violently. They were accused of abusing their seaman after all. I don't think the admiral was the only one to be removed and he wasn't a captain.

Which brings me to another point. Will Colploy become another Wilcox sympathizer? The enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of thing? If he is remanded to the department of paper shuffling then he can abuse him even more effectively than if he were still in command.

And what of this new midshipmen? Oliver what's his name? Will there be more rats in the chartroom? Is the captain on Mr Llewelyn's ship be one dismissed? Will the little Welshman be reunited with his true love? Will Winkler sail? Will his lover? What about Freddie and Davina? And Arthur? So many questions. I think the next chapter is going to be delightfully huge just so we can get them out to sea. I certainly hope so.

Thanks again Mark for a wonderful read.

Mark do you know you are unable to receive PM's? I tried to send this privately but it said you could not receive it. Well so much for surprise.

Missing a bit of history here aren't you? This from: http://www.middlebor...late.htm#Europe

"The first chocolate house was reputedly opened in London in 1657 by an unnamed Frenchman. Costing 6 to 8 shillings per pound (about 34p), chocolate was considered a beverage for the elite class. By the 1700s, chocolate houses were as prominent as coffee houses in England and there was a chocolate house for every type of clientele: politicians, gamblers, literati and the beautiful people - White's Chocolate House in St James's Street became one of the most popular meeting places for men and women. Charles II tried unsuccessfully to suppress these establishments which he considered 'hotbeds of sedition'. However, in the mid-nineteenth century the chocolate houses were transformed into more respectable 'clubs for gentlemen'. Several still exist today around Pall Mall including the famous White's. At this time chocolate was still being prepared by hand and another very different group of people were also taking an interest in it…"

It goes on to say that England taxed it so heavily that only the upper crust could afford it.

"England imposed an excessive duty of 10-15 shillings per pound. By the way, the duty was comparable to approximately three-fourths its weight in gold. It took almost 200 years before the duty was dropped".

I think if Granger had some and his chef was French, they might just find a delicious sweet drink for Granger to treat his staff to. I know some midshipmen would certainly enjoy it. You could have it listed as part of prize's holding and have lefaver, being French, recognize it and seize some for experimenting. Mixing some with sugar and butter would give you todays milk chocolate.But that use wasn't discovered yet. It was still a coffee like drink. Capturing it on a prize ship would allow him an unlimited supply of the drink making him a premier host in the fleet..

Sorry, I was trying to think what was missing and sex without chocolate just didn't seem right. Posted Image

Mark, you never cease to amaze me! My simple little mind barely gets me from point A to point B, and here you are with your Byzantine plots and twists! I don't think I've ever run across such an interesting, exciting story on the internet before! Even on land you come up with the damnedest plots and ways to get Granger laid...and we all know who the next one to get laid is...Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I'm slightly drunk now (after work drinks, a little out of hand), but justifiable homicide is an american term - certainly not one used in the british justice system

Just loved everything about the latest chapter of Odyssey, I so enjoy these visits to the past. The Bridgemont series really has become my favorite online series, yes even more than CAP; but just by a hair.

I loved how Granger is able to navigate the currents and reefs that seem to lurk below the surface in politics, family, society, and even at sea. Granger is a remarkable creation from a remarkable mind. I was certainly glad to see an update of the story while you were on vacation; I do realize this story because of your efforts at authenticity is much more time consuming to write than your other stories so for you to complete and post a chapter while on vacation, well just bravo...

I wonder if we havn't just meet our new 1st Lt. At 25 years old, he would be senior enough I would think to become the 1st Lt aboard Granger's ship... I know he would fit in with Granger well but have to wonder about the rest of the crew... I do think that Arthur will be making the trip whether he wants to or not. I would think that the ship would sale in the next chapter or two at the latest.

Hope you are having a great vacation....

I'm slightly drunk now (after work drinks, a little out of hand), but justifiable homicide is an american term - certainly not one used in the british justice system

Well make sure you drive home safely. It sounds like you might be too drunk to walk.Posted Image

Honestly Westie, get a cab or call a friend> Be smashed, pissed, fubared or just plain inebriated. But do it safely. We all love you and your keen wit. .

Just loved everything about the latest chapter of Odyssey, I so enjoy these visits to the past. The Bridgemont series really has become my favorite online series, yes even more than CAP; but just by a hair.

I loved how Granger is able to navigate the currents and reefs that seem to lurk below the surface in politics, family, society, and even at sea. Granger is a remarkable creation from a remarkable mind. I was certainly glad to see an update of the story while you were on vacation; I do realize this story because of your efforts at authenticity is much more time consuming to write than your other stories so for you to complete and post a chapter while on vacation, well just bravo...

I wonder if we havn't just meet our new 1st Lt. At 25 years old, he would be senior enough I would think to become the 1st Lt aboard Granger's ship... I know he would fit in with Granger well but have to wonder about the rest of the crew... I do think that Arthur will be making the trip whether he wants to or not. I would think that the ship would sale in the next chapter or two at the latest.

Hope you are having a great vacation....

I think before he sails, he'll have to do a few more things. Walk through the admiralty without waiting while a host of recalled captains wait in the lobby to find out their fates eyeing him as if it were his fault. Especially some with seniority over him while he drives away in the newest cadillacs of sailing. I will be surprised if one doesn't try and demand his command. And it would be just like Wilcox to intercede on Grangers behalf thinking he can request such a ship be assigned to his fleet. He'll have to pay his respects to the King on the way out and try and figure out if he is pissed or pleased with him over the mutiny. He'll have to face fox once more and perhaps fox and Wilcox in concert at the prince's palace. A determination on Arthur as well as Freddie and Davina must be made by the powers that be. Remember that he has vowed to try and intercede for them with the king. His honor will not let him do otherwise. And the King will acquiesce and probably hint that he wouldn't want to endanger a child that might possibly be of Granger's loins. Leaving Granger flummoxed as to how the King knew of his rape and entanglement.

He will have to take leave of Caroline and his father and lets not forget he promised to see the royal prince of great hardness again before he leaves. He also has to take on stores and water. Find out if Winkler and his love are staying or going. He'll have to rescue Mr. Llewellyn from a captain who wants to punish him for being of Granger's former officers and to reunite him with his love who will be onboard Granger's ship already. Of course this can be done at sea in a rescue as well.

So there is much land drama yet to be resolved. So I think a minimum of one more chapter before he puts to sea might be in order. At the very least, something must be done to knock granger down a peg or two to keep him from fomenting as much jealousy amongst the captains, admirals and other displaced officers lest he find himself with a LOT of enemies he did not have before. Remember that the newspapers roasted him so all the displaced captains are likely to blame their early retirement on him instead of themselves. Perhaps the King could do it with something like, "We are grateful to you granger and hope tat you will help us in the future if you see something in oversight." Or the similar just to show that he is not angry with him, to tell the press that he was not wrong and the captains removed that they better not mess. I don't know how Mark will handle the possibility of so many angered at him over losing their commands.

But I don't see how he can put to sea without some resolution to some of these issues. So much sex to be had, so little time.

(I have always wondered how they welded the iron tanks back then.)

Chapter 10 is posted and starts to get into the Nore mutiny. Granger addressing his crew is pure George and as usual he cements their loyalty. The news from Lord Spencer about the identity of the person he was assigning was certainly surprising as was the fact that both Pitt and Spencer both seemed to not know yet who would be replacing Bertie now that Teasdale would not be going. That fact is perhaps the best news of the incipient Odyssey so far!

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..