Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Odyssey

Granger might be in hot water now. As much trouble and gossip Francis and George caused when together before they will likely be the talk of the fleet and really piss Caroline to the max.

Posted Image

Granger might be in hot water now. As much trouble and gossip Francis and George caused when together before they will likely be the talk of the fleet and really piss Caroline to the max.

Posted Image

The fleet is not going to the Indies. George is taking his ship on a lone mission on a year long voyage. Well away from the fleet and the waggin' tongues of the bored sailors and officers.

Although a year with Calvert will probably not sit too well with Caroline. But can she really complain as George has given her license to carry on with the prince, albeit discreetly while he is away?

Edited by Daddydavek

I agree with Daddydavek. Arthur staying in London is most beneficial to the story indeed.And with the reassignment of the first Lt. It should make for a most enjoyable sail. Depending on who they send to replace Bertie. I am thinking that sending Admiral Wilcox would be just the thing to take the wind out of Granger's sails. We've seen that they do that with retired Admirals after all. Granger's own Grandfather for instance. Wasn't he an Admiral? That would allow Gramger sufficient misery, And being retired, he does no have any power. Granger could opt not to share his cabin and could order the first Lt to surrender his cabin and to move his things into the captain's quarters. And when Wilcox got too bad, he could threaten to have him towed in the Jolly boat all the way to the Indies. Noting how that additional drag would slow progress substantially.

Hey, I can have fantasies too!

• Like 1

I agree with Daddydavek. Arthur staying in London is most beneficial to the story indeed.And with the reassignment of the first Lt. It should make for a most enjoyable sail. Depending on who they send to replace Bertie. I am thinking that sending Admiral Wilcox would be just the thing to take the wind out of Granger's sails. We've seen that they do that with retired Admirals after all. Granger's own Grandfather for instance. Wasn't he an Admiral? That would allow Gramger sufficient misery, And being retired, he does no have any power. Granger could opt not to share his cabin and could order the first Lt to surrender his cabin and to move his things into the captain's quarters. And when Wilcox got too bad, he could threaten to have him towed in the Jolly boat all the way to the Indies. Noting how that additional drag would slow progress substantially.

Hey, I can have fantasies too!

This is uncanny!! I was thinking the very same thing...Wilcox! I wouldn't be surprised in the least...and it does fit with Mark's devious mind, don't you think?Posted Image I think Calvert got a bum rap, but he'll either gain fame or be killed on the journey...and lets hope it would be the first possibility! It would be bad if Wilcox caught them in a compromising position, though. Hmmm, maybe Mark has someone else in mind...like George's other brother! These things do get switched around!

• Like 2

This is uncanny!! I was thinking the very same thing...Wilcox! I wouldn't be surprised in the least...and it does fit with Mark's devious mind, don't you think?Posted Image I think Calvert got a bum rap, but he'll either gain fame or be killed on the journey...and lets hope it would be the first possibility! It would be bad if Wilcox caught them in a compromising position, though. Hmmm, maybe Mark has someone else in mind...like George's other brother! These things do get switched around!

I think if Wilcox was in attendance and caught them with their pants down they would hoist their drawers and deny it. I suspect that even if he called the marines, they would stand there and look confused as if they saw nothing. That would probably send Wilcox over the edge. What would be cool would be to see them gas light him and have them catching virtually the whole crew bumping uglies every time he opened a door. Just to have them act like he was completely mad. Personally I think they could have him in a straight jacket at the very least by portsmouth.

They could just say it was the fever. He had to be restrained to keep him from injuring himself. Piping Wilcox on board, "Welcome to His Majesty's Sodomy Cruise Lines, top or bottom?" I mean even his name is rather like a question. No? Will cox?

• Like 1

Seriously.............nobody on the ship has got an inkling of George's sodomite practices?

Selective blindness is not unique to Granger on Christmas. Even in today's Navy, A ship of thousands sometimes. There ARE no secrets.

And Mark, I must be losing my touch. I delivered the line a few posts back, "One thing that was not addressed and I think will have to be dealt with yet is the list of captains who were to be relieved for masturbating too violently. They were accused of abusing their seaman after all."

And I didn't even get a laughing smiley face out of it. Seriously, that was one of my better puns

• Like 1

Well, the newest chapter was revealing in a few ways; I truly did enjoy every moment of it. I like when Granger interacts with Admiral Lord Howe, he is one of the more interesting auxillary figures in the stories. I do like how Granger is able to touch upon so many aspects of what we know as history and be a part of it so seemlessly.

I do hope that Arthur gets to stay in London, I wonder if Holmquist will have to be given over to him as a permenant aide of some kind or another... LOL...

I for one was not that happy with Calvert being the First Lt. I always found Calvert sort of the most boring of all of George's previous involvments for some reason or another; he was just the one that I never warmed up to or found that interesting. I don't think that Caroline will have that much to say one way or the other about this; her actions and George's acceptance of them make that almost an impossiblity.

I really can't see Wilcox as the one being appointed Governor of the Moluccas as at that time it would have been a very lucrative placement. I am not sure that he has done anything to recommend himself to His Majestys Governement enough to enjoy the privilige of such a placement. Have we ever established exactly which island that Bertie is Governor of? In general, the British never did get control of much of the Moluccas Islands, the Dutch managed to keep control of most of the area until their Independence in the late 1940's. Being appointed Governor was a prestiges placement and while many Admirals and Generals saw such rewards, it was usually after some type of great contribution, something none of the Wilcox's seem to have accomplished.

Whoever the new governor might be, I wonder he'd be any better than Bertie. After all, the Brits were sticklers for maintaining the quality (from the governed peoples POV)

Whoever the new governor might be, I wonder he'd be any better than Bertie. After all, the Brits were sticklers for maintaining the quality (from the governed peoples POV)

Hmmm, good point. Well that leaves Wilcox out. He's not good at anything so far except making trouble.

Well, the newest chapter was revealing in a few ways; I truly did enjoy every moment of it. I like when Granger interacts with Admiral Lord Howe, he is one of the more interesting auxillary figures in the stories. I do like how Granger is able to touch upon so many aspects of what we know as history and be a part of it so seemlessly.

I do hope that Arthur gets to stay in London, I wonder if Holmquist will have to be given over to him as a permenant aide of some kind or another... LOL...

I for one was not that happy with Calvert being the First Lt. I always found Calvert sort of the most boring of all of George's previous involvments for some reason or another; he was just the one that I never warmed up to or found that interesting. I don't think that Caroline will have that much to say one way or the other about this; her actions and George's acceptance of them make that almost an impossiblity.

I really can't see Wilcox as the one being appointed Governor of the Moluccas as at that time it would have been a very lucrative placement. I am not sure that he has done anything to recommend himself to His Majestys Governement enough to enjoy the privilige of such a placement. Have we ever established exactly which island that Bertie is Governor of? In general, the British never did get control of much of the Moluccas Islands, the Dutch managed to keep control of most of the area until their Independence in the late 1940's. Being appointed Governor was a prestiges placement and while many Admirals and Generals saw such rewards, it was usually after some type of great contribution, something none of the Wilcox's seem to have accomplished.

I haven't specified which island Bertie governs yet, but it will probably end up being Amboyna (or Ambon).

In those days, being appointed governor of an island like that wasn't so much about prestige (or, quite frankly, competence), it was about greed. Those postings were very very risky, because of the diseases and hazards associated with them, but they were also very very lucrative. So someone who gets sent out there is going there because they have that special blend of connections (to secure the appointment), risk orientation (because there's a good chance they'll die, most likely from a disease), and expendability (see previous reason). So you won't see someone like Cavendish going out there, because his family would never risk a senior son on such a venture, but the younger son of a noble or a retired officer (admiral or general) who didn't have a lot of money would be an ideal candidate.

I seriously doubt that Wilcox (anyone of them) would be considered for the post. The Wilcoxes are associated with Fox who is a thorn in the side of both the King and the Crown Prince, and while expendable the individual would still represent the crown and not a minor political sub-section of a party.

• Like 2

I seriously doubt that Wilcox (anyone of them) would be considered for the post. The Wilcoxes are associated with Fox who is a thorn in the side of both the King and the Crown Prince, and while expendable the individual would still represent the crown and not a minor political sub-section of a party.

Lets not forget that at some point they had to have enough prestige to become an admiral. So they must have some money and influence. Remember that although they aren't in favor today that position can easily turn with an event as simple as Caroline's. Luckily that didn't do it in that case. But familiarity breads contempt as they used to say. And every once in a while the favored must have something thrown at them lest they become complacent and start taking things for granite.

And with that in mind, those in less favor need to be thrown a bone once in a while lest they stop striving to please and gain a better position; or worse, become enemies. There is something to be said for having your enemies owe you a favor as well. And the odds are greater who ever they send will die before making their fortune. But there is the chance. And a young boy who is looking to redeem himself after bringing shame to the family like young Wilcox, would do anything to undo the families shame and also to get away from the judging peers. And this would be perfect for that. There are very few things you could do in his place to achieve it and still be alive.

So I nominate young Wilcox. lol. Posted Image

Does that count? Posted Image

Lets not forget that at some point they had to have enough prestige to become an admiral. So they must have some money and influence. Remember that although they aren't in favor today that position can easily turn with an event as simple as Caroline's. Luckily that didn't do it in that case. But familiarity breads contempt as they used to say. And every once in a while the favored must have something thrown at them lest they become complacent and start taking things for granite.

And with that in mind, those in less favor need to be thrown a bone once in a while lest they stop striving to please and gain a better position; or worse, become enemies. There is something to be said for having your enemies owe you a favor as well. And the odds are greater who ever they send will die before making their fortune. But there is the chance. And a young boy who is looking to redeem himself after bringing shame to the family like young Wilcox, would do anything to undo the families shame and also to get away from the judging peers. And this would be perfect for that. There are very few things you could do in his place to achieve it and still be alive.

So I nominate young Wilcox. lol. Posted Image

Does that count? Posted Image

Actually, they don't need prestige to be an admiral at all. They don't even need influence. All they have to do is live. In the Royal Navy of that era, once you were posted as a captain, you were on the "captain's list." You advanced up the list when the people above you were either promoted or died. As long as you survived, you'd become an admiral.

Now, getting a command as an admiral was an entirely different thing. Commands were awarded based primarily on influence. When they wanted to give Nelson his flag (make him an admiral), they had to promote all the captains senior to him to the rank of rear admiral. But if those captains had no influence, they'd simply be a rear admiral without a command. It was jokingly referred to as being a rear admiral of the yellow.

Mr Arbour! A Doctor in a molly house with a cucumber!! good god, man, what on earth will we have next!

great chapter. tho' I sense complexities with Calvert on board.....

• Like 1

Mr Arbour! A Doctor in a molly house with a cucumber!! good god, man, what on earth will we have next!

great chapter. tho' I sense complexities with Calvert on board.....

It is perhaps somewhat unoriginal, but until now, the good doctor's true reasons for joining the Royal Navy have been a mystery.

Hmmm... a cucumber, I guess the more things change the more they stay the same... I really enjoyed the latest chapter of Odyssey. I wonder who the vegetable was in that they called for Dr. Jackson, was it a member of the crew??? The past murder charge seems like something that would have to be dealt with at some point no matter what, I have to wonder how that will be handled.

I still can't say that I am all that excited about Calvert being the one to sail with Granger; but now if someone has to die on the way out or back to England, Calvert can perish and it will be just that much more tragic...

I still have to wonder who it will be that will replace Bertie. I can't see it being one of the Wilcox clan, but I do think it will be someone that Granger has a history with, I thought of Iggy right away...

Well, can't wait for the next chapter, keep up the great work, Mark...

Well as usual, more questions than answers. Some of the things not spoken of that this next chapter might present will be Caroline gaining knowledge that Calvert is with him at Portland Place. I wonder if she will feel that this is why he has not summoned her? And what happens when Cavendish shows up? Will Granger's jealousy have the opportunity to rear its ugly head?

Something tells me that Granger wants to be at sea as quickly as is possible. Cavendish being the only casualty in Granger's emotional departure from home.

And now another question has risen. Why did they get the doctor from the ship unless it was a shipmate with the problem?

The poor purser. His station seems to correspond to what we would call middle class and he also seems to have those middle class sensibilites. Being British, I suspect he usually minds his own business. He comes to his captain bearing terrible news about the ship's surgeon and has to describe how the vital crewman was apprehended and then must sit stonefaced as the captain and his Lt. get the giggles like a couple of kids. Can't you just picture it. Posted Image

• Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..