Cooking thread

Not every gay guy knows how cook, but I do love it.

I wanted to try out a new thread for foodies and guys/girls that like cooking. We can share ideas, experiments, and experiences with different foods.

Let me share an odd idea I tried out last week concerning oatmeal and k-cups. There's a special k-cup flavored coffee with cream that is extremely milky and sweet. I had the idea of trying to mix a standard package of oatmeal with brown sugar.

The end result was a really weird and watered down version of regular oatmeal. Not my most successful experiment, but it was edible.

Now for a success story: I was tired of having traditional Italian herbs in my meatballs for spaghetti, so I mixed in Indian Masala and red curry when I was rolling the ground meat into balls. The Indian spice worked really well with the regular tomato sauce and added an extra layer of flavor.

I usually add peppercorn to my red sauce and extra onion/garlic. I highly recommend trying that out for the next time you make meatballs.

Sounds like this could be an interesting thread - one that I'll check on frequently.  I'm having to re-learn how to cook myself.  I've had to go on a low carb diet to control my blood sugar.  Kinda sucks since I was a huge pasta and bread eater!  I was always a big dessert cooker too.  For the holidays I almost always made all the desserts.  So I look forward to all the yummy tips everyone will post!

I have learned how to make a good low carb, sugar free teriyaki sauce that I'll share.  Combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch, 1 tablespoon water, 1/2 cup splenda, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper over low heat until the sauce bubbles and thickens. 

I've tried this sauce on chicken and it tasted great.  I think I'm going to try it in a pork stir fry the next time I make it.

The most complicated thing I've ever cooked is eggs with some topping, often ham. As Grim, though, I'd love to learn. I'm honestly pretty interested in it, being able to cook uber-stuff.

But, I'm lazy. I'll never even try, if there's someone /else/ to do the cooking.

Nonetheless, THE EXPERIENCED, I besiege thee! Bestow your knowledge upon us!

The most complicated thing I've ever cooked is eggs with some topping, often ham. As Grim, though, I'd love to learn. I'm honestly pretty interested in it, being able to cook uber-stuff.

But, I'm lazy. I'll never even try, if there's someone /else/ to do the cooking.

Nonetheless, THE EXPERIENCED, I besiege thee! Bestow your knowledge upon us!

Too bad your a west coaster or else I'd invite you over for dinner or snacks:

Today, I made some homemade Pizza Bites using crescent rolls, sausage, mozzarella,  peppercorn, and marinara sauce.

Basically, just cook the filling as your would spaghetti sauce, plus add extra onions, basil, and peppercorn to give it that extra zing. Then, take out your can of crescent rolls. Fill them up with your sauce/sausage mix with mozzarella cheese, then bake at 350 until toasty.

Perfect little meal and great for appetizers.

Marinara sauce

start out with a few tablespoons of olive oil at the bottom of a sauce pan

apply low heat

add 3-4 cloves of crushed garlic

add 1 small onion shredded (food processor, try red onion)

add a couple of red peppers shredded in food processor  roasted-redpeppers_zps2e56a1e2.jpg

heat these ingredients in olive oil for a few minutes. Stir constantly.

add 3 X 16 oz cans of tomato sauce

add 1 X 16 oz can of crushed tomatoes after BRIEFLY running it through the food processor (adds texture)

1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning

pinch of salt

add a 1/2 cup red wine to taste

2 X Bay leaves

Simmer this mixture for an hour and a half  (smells awesome)

Now- Marinara sauce is the base for a number of Italian delicacies.

For spaghetti sauce, brown 1- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef or Italian sausage and add to sauce. Simmer and serve over spaghetti or vermicelli and top with parm cheese. Serve with red win and Italian bread.

For variety, make meatballs instead.

A variation of this, substitute shrimp for the meat.

This can also be the base sauce for lasagna and manicotti.

NOTE: ALWAYS cook any meat before you add it to a recipe unless the recipe has other instructions.

Edited by jamessavik
  • Like 1

I figured I'd share a recipe I picked up when I was in Vancouver, Canada a few years ago. I make it occasionally, and it's awesome.

Crispy Baked Halibut

-4 Halibut fillets (1 3/4 inch thick)   (NOTE: Since I live in New York, Halibut fillets aren't always available. I've done the exact same recipe with Tilapia, and it's just as good.)

-1/2 tsp. salt

-1/4 cup cooking oil

-1/4 tsp. minced garlic

-grated Parmesan cheese

-cornflake crumbs

Combine oil, salt, and garlic in a bowl.

Marinate fillets in oil for approx. 10 minutes. Drain fillets.

Roll in Parmesan cheese on a plate, then cornflake crumbs on a separate plate.

Place in greased baking dish.

Bake at 450 Degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until fish flakes when fork-tested.

Serve immediately.

It's pretty good! I hope This help make somebody's dinner worthwhile! :)

Edited by SilverNitro

Ooh, tilapia, I can get that at my Chinese supermarket. Thank you!

I've been making bagels recently, but apparently I need some malt extract to make them properly. I've just been throwing a lot of brown sugar in the boiling water. It seems to work, everyone likes them. I'm gonna make cinnamon raisin ones on Wednesday so if they come out okay I'll post the recipe.

While I know what most kitchen appliances are, as far as actually cooking with them goes... ummm......

**points in the direction of the microwave**

:P

Edited by MJ85

Okay, let's pair up here:

Whoever wants a gay boyfriend, who enjoys cooking, instead of microwaved lean cuisine, please raise your hands? :P Outside of just cooking, you also learn a lot about taste and alcohol as your cooking.

By the way, can someone tell if it matters if the bottle of wine is placed outside at room temperature of 60 F degrees, when used for cooking? I don't have a wine cellar or anything fancy like that, just a covered chest in the basement storage room. 

Whoever wants a gay boyfriend, who enjoys cooking, instead of microwaved lean cuisine, please raise your hands? :P Outside of just cooking, you also learn a lot about taste and alcohol as your cooking.

By the way, can someone tell if it matters if the bottle of wine is placed outside at room temperature of 60 F degrees, when used for cooking? I don't have a wine cellar or anything fancy like that, just a covered chest in the basement storage room. 

Wine when used in cooking does not have to be cold, in fact reds need to air out to expound their flavor.

Whoever wants a gay boyfriend, who enjoys cooking, instead of microwaved lean cuisine, please raise your hands? :P

***jumping in the air*** Me, me!

As for the wine, it's going to get cooked anyway, why does it matter? Better yet do a scientific taste test. I'll be your darling test subject. :D

B) ...............For the novice I offer a quick easy chicken recipe, I usually buy all my chicken breast bone in, and do my one filleting. If you don't know hoe to fillet, buy boneless chicken breast.

For two, double for four:

Cut the breast in half so you have two large fat pieces 

In a bowel add a half cup of both mayonnaise and1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, mix it and drop int the raw chicken and coat well, in another bowel have a 1/2 cup of seasoned bread crumbs, roll the chicken in it until it is covered.

Bake at 350 for at least 25 minutes, Check to see if the bottom is turning brown cooked (P.S.line that cookie tray, you use one with aluminum foil mayonnaise has a lot of oil and tends to seep out a lot)

Serve with your favorite green veggie!

Edited by Benji

B) .............. I have another chicken recipe for the more experienced adventurous!

Chicken Marango............. a recipe made in honor of Napoleons victory at Marango a few hundred years ago, so decimated was the countryside after the battle the chief cook could only come up with chickens, butter, eggs, sugar, garlic and tomatoes. So he came up with this:

In a pot on very low simmer butter add crushed garlic, when the garlic is almost invisible, take it off the heat. Fillet chicken breast into 1/4 to 3/3 of an inch thick. put the fat and bones into another post and boil to make broth (at least 2 or more cups after retrieving the fat and bones) take the broth off the heat crush the tomatoes (or better yet either buy them canned either crushed of petite)  18 oz is preferable for two people, 24 oz or more four. Put the butter and garlic mixture back on the stove and add 1/4 cup of the broth and the entire can of the tomato mixture, simmer, periodically adding an 1/8th  cup of sugar and stirring it. The sauce is the secret to the recipe, as it can take a couple hours to break down the tomatoes to a sweet sauce. 

The rest of it is easy, simply fry the chicken breast after flouring them and dipping them into the whipped up egg mixture, until cooked, golden brown on each side, set aside and keep warm. When serving place the breast on the plate and add a scoop of the sauce.

2 people -

2 eggs whipped

1/2 cup of flour

sauce 2 -people

1/4 stick of butter and 3 crushed garlic cloves.

After initialing adding the broth in 1/4 cup increments continue to do so while the sauce cooks to prevent sticking on the bottom of the pan.

I have added croutons on the plate and sprinkled the sauce over it added the fillet and topped it with the sauce, served with your favorite cooked greens and salad.

Double the ingredients for more then 2 people.

Cheers!

herb-crusted pork tenderloin

1.5 parts salt

1 part pepper

1 part ground oregano

1 part ground thyme

3 parts rubbed sage

1 part dried minced garlic

mix it all in a mortar and pestle and apply to the outside of the tenderloin. put 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a pan. When hot, sear the tenderloin on all sides, then throw into a moderate oven for 20-30 minutes. cut into medallions.

Yum, we have chicken and pork, now all we need is a good Dessert:

Poor Man's strawberry cheesecake :P

1 8oz container of Cream Cheese (depends on how much and big your serving)

2 tbs Sugar

1 can of Evaporated sweetened milk

1 cup graham crackers

1 Jello brand Vanilla Pudding mix

Sliced Strawberries

2 cups Hot water

Mix the sugar, evaporated milk, and hot water in a bowl

Add in the cream cheese in and whisk

Add putting mix in and whisk it thoroughly until it gets to the right soft consistency.

Add in Strawberries

Line the bottom of your dish with graham cracker crumbs, then add the mixture on top

Leave in fridge overnight and you have your dessert.

A lot of people knows how to make this cheesecake, but we all have our own touches to it :D

I recently tried a recipe of Chocolate Terrain. It is very easy to make and very tasty. ^_^

You will need

• 17.6oz good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
  • 3.5oz unsalted butter, chopped
  • 13.9oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 7.1oz digestive biscuits
  • 3.5oz roughly chopped pistachio nuts
  • 1.6oz slivered almonds

This is the way to make it.

1. Grease and line a 20 cm x 8 cm loaf (bar) tin or terrine mould with baking paper.
  2. Combine the chocolate, butter and condensed milk in a heatproof bowl. Fill a saucepan that the bowl will fit over one-third full of water and bring to the boil. Place the bowl over the saucepan and melt the ingredients together, stirring occasionally.
  3. Put the biscuits in a plastic bag and tap lightly with a rolling pin or other heavy object until roughly broken.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the crushed biscuits with the pistachios and almonds. Pour over the hot chocolate mixture and mix well. Transfer the mixture into the tin, pushing it down to remove any air bubbles, and smooth the surface. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.

Tip: While taking the terrain out of the mould after refrigeration you can put it in a bath of hot water for a minute to facilitate its easier movement out of the mould.

• Site Administrator

A slight twist on Eggs Benedict for Breakfast (and a great way to bypass the poaching of eggs!!)

Scotty's Nest Eggs

Ingredients:
Each Nest:
2-3 thin slices Black Forest ham
1 egg
1 Tbsp. cream 15 mL (Half and Half works)
1 heaping Tbsp. grated Swiss cheese 25mL
sprinkle of dried basil
English muffin

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350 deg.F (180 deg.C). Grease large muffin tins or use cooking spray. Line with ham and break egg over top. Add cream and sprinkle with cheese and basil. Bake 12-15 minutes. Serve on half a toasted English muffin. (Place water in any unused muffin cups to prevent damage.)

Separately make Hollandaise Sauce to spread over the top.

The great thing about this is you can make one, two, or up to twelve depending if it is just yourself or others as well. Quick, easy, and a bonus for anyone who struggles with eggs :)

Edited by wildone

I've always been adventurous when cooking - I've even been brave enough to use sea urchin on a couple of occasions.  The microwave is the Devil's invention and does not belong in kitchen; my aunt makes risotto in it and it is not the same as making it properly on the hob.

One thing I do make a lot of is lemon curd, which is really versatile. I bake a lot of lemon meringue pies, lemon curd soufflés and lemon sponges.  I also love having this to dip slices of apple in, or to spread on toast for breakfast.

I usually make enough lemon curd for my immediate use since it is very easy to make; though you can make large batches of it in one go (it will keep for about two weeks).

This is the recipe I use.  Be warned it makes a very sour lemon curd, but contrasts perfectly with very sweet meringue.  There are recipes out there that make a less sour curd, but I find they tend to be very fattening and far too sweet for my liking with meringue.

Lemon curd recipe (should be enough for one large lemon meringue pie, or four individual pies):

Juice of 2 lemons

Grated rind of 1 lemon

1 large egg

2 oz (50g) butter, cubed [you should always use butter, never margarine]

1 teaspoon cornflour [i think is the same as cornstarch in the US]

1oz (25g) caster sugar (I only use half that amount) [i think this is what is called superfine sugar in the US, it is definitely not confectioners sugar]

Method

Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan, and place over a medium heat.

Whisk until the butter has melted, and then lower the heat and simmer, whisking continually.

The curd will take about four minutes to thicken and for the egg and cornflour to cook out properly.

Be careful: Do not to have the heat up too high or it will curdle and you will end up with lemon flavoured scrambled egg - not as yummy as it sounds.

Edited by andy021278

Roasted Chicken – Everyone should know how to roast a whole chicken. It is the quintessential go to meal for Sunday and/or company dinner.

Ingredients

• 1 whole chicken (a 3 1/2 to 4 pound bird will serve 4)
  • Coarse salt, black pepper
  • Olive oil

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Rub with olive oil. Tie legs together with kitchen twine and tuck wing tips beneath body. Roast on a small rimmed baking sheet until an instant-read thermometer inserted in a thigh reads 165 degrees, about 12 minutes per pound. Let chicken rest 10 minutes before carving.

If you like, add:
Herbs: Tuck a few sprigs inside the cavity and underneath the chicken. Good picks are rosemary, thyme, savory, and oregano.
Vegetables: Toss them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter carrots, potatoes, and sweet potatoes around the bird at the start of cooking; add garlic, onion, lemon, and parsnips after 30 minutes.

Roasted Chicken – Everyone should know how to roast a whole chicken.

I love chicken and any recipe that starts with get things hot...rub down with oil and tie legs together has my attention. LOL :P

Since hubby does most of the cooking, I'll have to ask him if he has any easy recipes that he wants to share :)