Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Of course, the JP POV chapters just had to be in that weird font and minuscule size. Simple colour change was so inadequate. Let's strain our eyes!

Mark hinted that there will be a lot of narrators across the whole of this story.  He might not have too many options

Of course, the JP POV chapters just had to be in that weird font and minuscule size. Simple colour change was so inadequate. Let's strain our eyes!

You do know most browsers let you adjust that size of the characters in the pages you view?  I have bad eyes so most of my web pages are set at 125% or higher.  I use google chrome and you can change the text size by clicking on the three - dashes at the top of the page.  Sorry just looked and it is called zoom not text size.

Edited by JimCarter
  • Like 1

Mark hinted that there will be a lot of narrators across the whole of this story. He might not have too many options

Given how many fonts exist...period, I would hope that Mark's not planning on having so many narrators that running out of fonts would actually become a "thing". :P

For what it's worth, this chapter threw me at first because at first 9 looked much different than 8, but then I looked at them both on computer browsing and they looked much more similar.

• Like 1

Given how many fonts exist...period, I would hope that Mark's not planning on having so many narrators that running out of fonts would actually become a "thing". :P

For what it's worth, this chapter threw me at first because at first 9 looked much different than 8, but then I looked at them both on computer browsing and they looked much more similar.

There was some whining about the type for Chapter 8, so I bolded the type for Chapter 9.  That's why it seemed a bit different.  Didn't stop the whining though.  For those who are unhappy, feel free to request a refund.

• Like 5

Glad you liked it!  I figured this revival thing made sense, since it was attempted in many Rust Belt towns/cities.  We're pretending that it worked here.

Yeah, the pace at which it happened was a little unrealistic, but I think the plan itself was pretty workable. One of the biggest problems with the shopping center/outlets revival plan attempts in the Rust Belt was that they'd build a shopping center, but not have the right demographics and critical mass of people to shop there. (I wrote an artlcle on Wilmington, Delaware's failed attempt at an urban outlet shopping center here.) Getting Triton Electronics, and all these new white collar people living in all the new apartments, really helps answer those problems.

• Like 1

There was some whining about the type for Chapter 8, so I bolded the type for Chapter 9.  That's why it seemed a bit different.  Didn't stop the whining though.  For those who are unhappy, feel free to request a refund.

Damn you're sexy! :wub:

• Like 1

5. Most of all, you did a good job at capturing the hope and optimism of people at the end of the Clinton Years/early Bush II admistration- I remember there was a small recession going on in 2001, but it almost seemed like we completely ignored it because America was that confident.

Ignoring the recession may have been a local thing. I certainly wasn't ignoring it (however ineffectively I could engage it as a high school junior) and considering how hard Stef and Brad would have been whacked by it, I doubt they brushed it off. Since that particular recession affected Technology companies (already struggling after 200) harder than most other industries, it might have been a minor recession from your point of view, but a much bigger deal on the West Coast.

Ignoring the recession may have been a local thing. I certainly wasn't ignoring it (however ineffectively I could engage it as a high school junior) and considering how hard Stef and Brad would have been whacked by it, I doubt they brushed it off. Since that particular recession affected Technology companies (already struggling after 200) harder than most other industries, it might have been a minor recession from your point of view, but a much bigger deal on the West Coast.

That's a good point. My region was hit hard by the current recession because Delaware based it's post-industrial economy on the credit card industry, but this area didn't have a whole lot of tech companies. Other than government and banking, our big state employers are pharmecutical/chemical companies, the University of Delaware, and Dover Air Force Base, all of which were doing fine in 2001. We also had a real estate boom from the 1990's into the mid-'00s as people fleeing the high property taxes of New Jersey and PA came here. We're a podunk state but it tends to lean more towards affluence. (Although there's a major income disparity here- it's almost comedic how you can hit one block in Wilmington that's nice and rich, and just a couple blocks later you hit the ghetto.)

In any event, Brad and Stefan weren't whacked hard by the dot-com bust, because Brad and Stefan realized there was a bubble and got out before it burst- that was a whole storyline thread in Millenium. Brad and Stefan got out of the tech market, and moved more into defense contracting, which of course is going to be huge for the upcoming decade. It also looks like they're getting into real estate, which was the other big economic boom for the Bush II administration.

Mark's written Stefan as someone who's basically able to judge the herd, and because of this he always makes sound economic decisions. I imagine that Stefan and Brad will be one of the few people to come out of the Great Recession even richer than they were before. I'm betting anything come 2006, Stefan will start to get an "itchy" feeling about real estate and decide to get out.

This speaks to rule number 5 of the CAP Saga:

5. The Schluters/Cramptons always make great finanical decisions- like investing in Alameda County real estate in the 1970's or getting out of the tech market just before the bubble burst in 2000. There will never be a serious financial set-back for them, or any kind of financial blunder. I bet they'll get out of real estate in 2006 or 2007. You could argue against this by mentioning Robbie's movie failures...but then...he's a Hayes so this rule doesn't really apply to him.

Edited by methodwriter85

Triton's a bit of an anomaly, though, because while it's a tech company, it's probably going to cycle more as a defense-industry stock than a true tech stock.

That's a good point. My region was hit hard by the current recession because Delaware based it's post-industrial economy on the credit card industry, but this area didn't have a whole lot of tech companies. Other than government and banking, our big state employers are pharmecutical/chemical companies, the University of Delaware, and Dover Air Force Base, all of which were doing fine in 2001. We also had a real estate boom from the 1990's into the mid-'00s as people fleeing the high property taxes of New Jersey and PA came here. We're a podunk state but it tends to lean more towards affluence. (Although there's a major income disparity here- it's almost comedic how you can hit one block in Wilmington that's nice and rich, and just a couple blocks later you hit the ghetto.)

In any event, Brad and Stefan weren't whacked hard by the dot-com bust, because Brad and Stefan realized there was a bubble and got out before it burst- that was a whole storyline thread in Millenium. Brad and Stefan got out of the tech market, and moved more into defense contracting, which of course is going to be huge for the upcoming decade. It also looks like they're getting into real estate, which was the other big economic boom for the Bush II administration.

Mark's written Stefan as someone who's basically able to judge the herd, and because of this he always makes sound economic decisions. I imagine that Stefan and Brad will be one of the few people to come out of the Great Recession even richer than they were before. I'm betting anything come 2006, Stefan will start to get an "itchy" feeling about real estate and decide to get out.

This speaks to rule number 5 of the CAP Saga:

There are people like Stef out there (think:  a gay Warren Buffett) who have that ability.  They see the market bubbles forming and they act accordingly. 

• Like 1

There are people like Stef out there (think:  a gay Warren Buffett) who have that ability.  They see the market bubbles forming and they act accordingly. 

Neither Stef nor Warren Buffet are investment geniuses, what they are is disciplined investors who follow their models, not "gut feeling" or instincts.

The warning signs were all over the place for the tech bubble (2000). You didn't need to a genius to know that a company trading at 100x its PE ratio was overpriced and risky nor to know that there was a massive housing bubble (2007) since people had been talking about the coming collapse for years (and are again since no one apparently learned any lessons the last time around).

People who got hurt in the tech and housing bubbles were people who WERE following gut feeling or instincts, not what the numbers actually said. Hope spings eternal when times are good that they will never end, even thoughthey always do.

Laissez les bons temps rouler.

From reviews:

I think that as long as the fake ID is convincing (would a cop know it was fake?) then the bar will be fine.  And as you noted, Stef is the one who set the bar up last time it was raided.  And that was a few years back too.

Another thing to remember is that this is BEFORE clubs starting using computer scanners with facial recognition to check I.D.'s, so it was easy to get into a club as long as you had a good fake. That started changing by the late 2000's when the computer scanners started becoming commonplace, but by then Will is already going to be past needing a fake. (He'll be 21 in 2007.) Will, JJ,and John are part of that last generation of kids who had a fairly easy time sneaking into bars and clubs. I know a couple of people who were still able to do that now, but they usually had to stick to a dive bars that don't use the computer scanners. Riley and Madison will probably not have as easy of a time sneaking into bars when they're 14 like Will does. Things got a lot stricter, especially if they find themselves in a big college town.

On the other hand, Will has grown up with the world as his oyster.  He has never encountered a reason to not go for what he wants.  As long as he sticks to the interesting bits, there is nothing but limitless horizons as far as he can see.

I really do like how Will's representing that first generation of young gay men who were born post-Gay Rights movements, and who are too young to remember the AIDS epidemic. I really relate to that- I was never really closeted, and I never really felt like I was losing anything by being gay. And even though Tony does kind of bore me, I get why he's there- to represent the classic closet case and contrast against Will's. I don't quite get why it has to be suuuuccchhh a big deal for him to be gay- I get the Dad deal, but it's not like Tony's going to Jerry Falwell's Liberty University or anything. Stanford seems like it'd be a great place for anybody to come out.

I mean, Will gets it on a mental level why it's hard for Tony to come out, but he doesn't get it on an emotional level, because he's never had to deal with the internal homophobia. I feel the same way- my mind gets it, but my heart just doesn't understand why it has to be such a big deal, because I never really tried to fight against being gay, or felt like being gay was wrong.

Will has already thought through the fact that he and Tony aren't ready for an exclusive long-distance relationship.  He also has come to realize he can beat himself up over Tony's inability to fully deal with his own sexuality but in the end it is Tony's problem.  That Will has to deal with Tony's clinging "girlfriend" is something Will probably will find a way not to do.  If she pushes into it, she just may get a taste of Will famous temper....

• Like 1

Why is Tony such a pushover? That is so unattractive to me. And why oh why is Will tolerating this? There's supportive and there's doormat.

It's weird that he's such a pushover, because he's also supposed to be an Alpha Male jock, who's so masculine that Will finds him irrestible. Interesting dichtomy there. When I've met Alpha Male jocks, "push over" was usually the last thing you could ascribe to them.

What is interesting is Stef’s rumination on how JP and Brad will not be happy with how he is looking out for Will. He clearly knows that the time when it was appropriate to live like tomorrow would be a terrible day, if there was a tomorrow at all, is well past. And he knows that there are still more dangers out and about in the world than Will is aware of. Dangers Will would be much better served being steered away than let to discover himself. It will be interesting to see how Stef, who is the cool grandparent not only by inclination but obviously by desire, deals with having to guide Will through an upcoming and much more potentially dangerous time in his life.

Here's the thing about Will, though. He's proven, time and time again, that he's got a good "bullshit" meter when it comes to people that want to take advantage of him. People who look at him and think, "Wow, dumb young rich kid that I can con into giving me shit" have been proven very wrong. I can't see Will ever being manipulated into doing things he doesn't want to do, and I also can't see him getting blindly caught up in the kind of things that happened to Pat and the like. He also does not have an addictive personality- yes, he has his fun and does edgy things, but I can't see him going over the edge.

I don't think Stefan would have let Will into the club if he didn't think, on some level, Will can handle himself pretty well. I mean, JJ's the same age as well, but I can't see Stefan in a million years letting  JJ into a club, because JJ is much more naieve and it's much easier to take advantage of him.

• Like 1

It's weird that he's such a pushover, because he's also supposed to be an Alpha Male jock, who's so masculine that Will finds him irrestible. Interesting dichtomy there. When I've met Alpha Male jocks, "push over" was usually the last thing you could ascribe to them.

Here's the thing about Will, though. He's proven, time and time again, that he's got a good "bullshit" meter when it comes to people that want to take advantage of him. People who look at him and think, "Wow, dumb young rich kid that I can con into giving me shit" have been proven very wrong. I can't see Will ever being manipulated into doing things he doesn't want to do, and I also can't see him getting blindly caught up in the kind of things that happened to Pat and the like. He also does not have an addictive personality- yes, he has his fun and does edgy things, but I can't see him going over the edge.

I don't think Stefan would have let Will into the club if he didn't think, on some level, Will can handle himself pretty well. I mean, JJ's the same age as well, but I can't see Stefan in a million years letting  JJ into a club, because JJ is much more naieve and it's much easier to take advantage of him.

Most alpha males have a weakness.  Tony's is probably dominant women.  He's been raised by a strong mother and grandmother, and I'm mindful that most Italian women don't put up with a lot of shit from their kids (winks at Sharon).  

I think your post is really spot-on.  Again, Will is very focused on controlling his own life and his own world, so it makes sense that someone coming in to fuck with that is going to hit a pretty big brick wall.  He's been through a lot, and that's made him more worldly, and taken away the naivete you'd expect.  That's probably why Stefan is more comfortable with taking him to places like that bar: he knows Will can handle it.

Why is Tony such a pushover? That is so unattractive to me. And why oh why is Will tolerating this? There's supportive and there's doormat.

LMAO.  Why is Will tolerating this?  Because Tony is an amazing fuck.  Granted, that only goes so far, but when you're a teenage male, 'so far' is pretty damn far. 

LMAO.  Why is Will tolerating this?  Because Tony is an amazing fuck.  Granted, that only goes so far, but when you're a teenage male, 'so far' is pretty damn far. 

I think it also helps that Tony is only a sporadic presence in his life. Tony's not around Will day in and day out to annoy him with his not-so-good traits. If Tony was 16 and going to Menlo, I think it'd be another thing entirely. The way things are, Will gets to enjoy Tony's skills in the sack, but he doesn't really have to deal with the day-to-day issues that come from being in a committed relationship.

Remember when Brad and Robbie were on the outs in Millenium, and Brad kept noting all the annoying little things about Robbie? Will and Tony aren't together nearly enough for that kind of a familiarity, so everything stays fresh and interesting and hot with them.

Again, Will is very focused on controlling his own life and his own world, so it makes sense that someone coming in to fuck with that is going to hit a pretty big brick wall.  He's been through a lot, and that's made him more worldly, and taken away the naivete you'd expect.  That's probably why Stefan is more comfortable with taking him to places like that bar: he knows Will can handle it.

I remember one point Will made to Brad was that he has friends who roll on X down at the Pier and other such stuff, and he hasn't gotten into that when he very much could. Someone like Will could have access to some pretty hardcore drugs at his age, and that he's stuck to pot does say something about the amount of control that Will does have.

Although it would be hilarious to see what a control freak like Will would be like on X. I remember that was the big drug at the time...I had classmates in 9th grade who were into the rave scene and they'd talk about doing it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

ok, yeah. That works for me :)

Because Tony is an amazing fuck. 

Although it would be hilarious to see what a control freak like Will would be like on X.

ohhhh. Can we please Mr. Arbour???

What reason does Tony really have for breaking up with Dana? I mean......really? Whether he does, or he doesn't, Will won't be exclusive with him. Has Will even given any indication that, it's him or her?

Then again...Dana seems like the kind of girl who will go to extremes to keep him - no matter what it would have to be...

Edited by MJ85

What reason does Tony really have for breaking up with Dana? I mean......really? Whether he does, or he doesn't, Will won't be exclusive with him. Has Will even given any indication that, it's him or her?

That's a damn good question. Sure, Tony is gay, but a lot of gay men can have sex with and enjoy women. Matt apparently still does. It wouldn't be emotionally satifisying for him, and he probably would wind up cheating on his wife on the side, but at the same time, Tony can take the easy way out and never come out.

They've got until September 2004 before they can even openly be in a relationship, as Tony is 19 and Will is not-quite 15. It's going to be a long time before they can even entertain the notion of an committed, everybody-knows relationship. So yeah, really good question.

Then again...Dana seems like the kind of girl who will go to extremes to keep him - no matter what it would have to be...

In any event...Tony's mother and sister TOTTTTTALLLLLYYYYY know he's gay, and that Will's his boyfriend.

Edited by methodwriter85

Tony had a weekend planned that did not include her, and she forced herself along, even to the point of suggesting that Tony re-arrange his entire trip (renting an additional canoe, tent supplies, etc.) just to accommodate her whims. She also was extremely rude to Will, and outted him to Tony's friend. There are people that will let their significant others treat their friends like shit, because the friend is less important. There are many people that won't, though, and Tony could decide that he's one of them, if he's just looking for an excuse.

Regardless of whether he wants to date Will exclusively, those are some pretty big warning signs. Her biggest issue with Will (since I doubt she knows about them screwing around) is that Will takes time away from her. What's going to happen when she decides he sees his family too much? Or his other friends? We've all seen people like that in life and in this saga. Dana is definitely showing signs she's one.

I think she might also be the type to force her significant other to prove their love, over and over. And those people need to be cut loose too, in my opinion. From my experience, people like that don't need a boyfriend with friends and needs of their own, they need a dog that will love them unconditionally.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..