Open Club  ·  281 members  ·  Free

Mark Arbour Fan Club

Tim, you seriously need to take your meds. The point I was making is that, for him, NOT THE REST OF THE WORLD, but for someone in his situations those things would normally cripple someone emotionally. Have you ever tried being 14 with a crazy ass mother and no support at home? The thing with his brothers just means that those are two more people who have abandoned him, by his way of thinking. I get that, for whatever reason, you want to believe that the women are innocent angels but they aren't. What you fail to realize is, that when there is only one girl in a family full of boys, the girl will usually get her way, especially with the female adults. This chapter proves that the two women care more about what the girl is 'feeling' than the boy.

Plus, when you live a sheltered life, things that seem small to others will hit you the hardest.

Will had to care about his self, his mother hated him, both his fathers were gone, and his brothers didn't have time for him. He was left in two houses without one person to give a damn about him.

Edited by endlessfire

Some thoughts: 

1.  Sharon is awesome.

2.  I think that the degree of misfortune a person experiences (as in degrees from normal) is pretty significant, so in Will's case, even though he leads a charmed life, the crises that he deals with are pretty intense compared to his normal existence. 

3.  My intention is not to show Claire as a person who has suddenly become evil (she hasn't), or to have her seem completely out of character by suddenly becoming this uncaring bitch.  Ponder your own lives, and how you may get locked into a pattern, or a group, or whatever, and it becomes the norm.  That's what I think is happening with Claire.  She's been immersed in the elite world of Palo Alto and has become part of it.  In a sense, she has lost some of herself to it. 

• Like 3

2.  I think that the degree of misfortune a person experiences (as in degrees from normal) is pretty significant, so in Will's case, even though he leads a charmed life, the crises that he deals with are pretty intense compared to his normal existence.

Really good point. I have this online friend who's life, on the surface, is pretty much a wet dream for anybody. Great parents, massively talented, affluent upbringing, nice looks, great relationships, great job...but he's also prone to bouts of intense melancholy, and has an extremely hard time dealing with things not working out as he wants them to. I didn't get it for the first couple of years I talked to him- this guy's life has pretty much anything he could want, so why would he ever be sad? Then I got it explained to me. I remember our mutual online friend told me once that when someone's lived a Golden Boy life, it makes it that much more difficult when life does hand you setbacks, as opposed to the people who've learned to deal with disapointment early and often. When I got it, I had much more sympathy for him, like I would have for Will.

But I realize now that Will, as written, is at a basic level less inclined towards violence than I am used to, so it was difficult for me to grasp just how shocking someone trying to beat him up would be to his system.

It is interesting how Will does differ from Brad in that regard. Brad had no trouble beating the shit out of Neal in Man In Motion, and he didn't bat an eye about his own sister and uncle getting whacked. Will does have a temper (as Brad and Robbie's wadrobe can attest to) but it's not really been directed in violence. And the one time he got himself involved in the "revenge" side of the family, Will had an extremely difficult time with the notion of playing God with people's lives. I really like that Mark has written that into Will as a core part of who he is, because it's so different from a core part of who Brad is. It feels like something that Will would have gotten from Tonto.

I do wonder how Will is going to view the upcoming War on Terror, especially if he knows people who go over the course of the 2000's. I feel like that's part of why Mark's having Will in Claremont and making acquaintances there- Claremont will have a lot of people that go.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Tim, you seriously need to take your meds. The point I was making is that, for him, NOT THE REST OF THE WORLD, but for someone in his situations those things would normally cripple someone emotionally. Have you ever tried being 14 with a crazy ass mother and no support at home? The thing with his brothers just means that those are two more people who have abandoned him, by his way of thinking. I get that, for whatever reason, you want to believe that the women are innocent angels but they aren't. What you fail to realize is, that when there is only one girl in a family full of boys, the girl will usually get her way, especially with the female adults. This chapter proves that the two women care more about what the girl is 'feeling' than the boy.

Plus, when you live a sheltered life, things that seem small to others will hit you the hardest.

Will had to care about his self, his mother hated him, both his fathers were gone, and his brothers didn't have time for him. He was left in two houses without one person to give a damn about him.

I might suggest you have no idea what my life was like at 14 nor the life my son had when he was around 14.

I also notice you didn't address a single point I made.

I might suggest you have no idea what my life was like at 14 nor the life my son had when he was around 14.

I also notice you didn't address a single point I made.

You are too much fun.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Mmm mmm mmm. I can't help but think that JP will have ultimately just made things worse.

That Bastille Day party would have been better off cancelled altogether - as it stands now, it's a symbol of the growing family division. And Marie now effectively has cause to feel like she's been kicked out of the greater family.

I think that with the banning of the parties involved at the Bastille day party, that it will probably become a non-event in the story.  

I'm hoping that JP's POV continues through the trip to Ohio and even after the Bastille Day party and then Will takes over again.  Of course, I suspect Mark has it all blocked out already and I like the rest will just have to bide my time to see what happens next.  

• Like 1

Some thoughts: 

3.  My intention is not to show Claire as a person who has suddenly become evil (she hasn't), or to have her seem completely out of character by suddenly becoming this uncaring bitch.  Ponder your own lives, and how you may get locked into a pattern, or a group, or whatever, and it becomes the norm.  That's what I think is happening with Claire.  She's been immersed in the elite world of Palo Alto and has become part of it.  In a sense, she has lost some of herself to it. 

I will take you at your word regarding your intention; after all these are your characters and you know them intimately.  And like a father you would want to defend them when they are being attacked.   

However I have accepted your challenge and pondered my own life in regards to getting caught up in the 'now' and what becomes the norm.  While it is true that one may lose temporary sight of the result of one’s actions upon themselves and others, I think we all basically remain our true selves regardless of what is swirling around us as we live our life. 

Think of it this way, you encounter an old man.  He is grumpy and irritable, and just not too pleasant to be around.  So you write it off as being a result of his age.  But I have always believed that if you are grumpy and irritable when you are old; there is a good chance you were no different when you were young.  The only difference is when one is young; one tends to hide these traits behind a well-polished veneer and then in old age one doesn't give a damn anymore and shows their true self. 

From this reader’s point of view, in Claire’s case I think that Will confronting her with the cold hard facts of her actions and the actions of her daughter has caused a bit of her polished veneer to come off exposing her true self.  And with this quote: “I expect they’ll both be back for the Bastille Day party,” Claire said.  She looked directly at me.  “I want you to know that if he apologizes to me for treating me so rudely, I will bear him no ill will.”  She showed her true self.  Her concern is not repairing her relationship Will, or at least explaining the reasons for her actions, only that she receives an apology. 

I also think it is important to note that neither she nor her mother addressed Will’s concerns, only his actions.  It appears that they knew  they could not defend the indefensible; or more importantly felt they need not explain or defend. 

And not for nothing, but the ones who say the least usually say the most profound things when they finally do, and that person would be Frank!

There was so much packed into this chapter I could go on forever, but that is what makes this story so great.  Thanks for writing it.

Some thoughts: 

1.  Sharon is awesome.

1. Sharron is awesome, she has done a great job as has your whole team on polishing CAP to make it the jewel it is.

2. The point with Will is that many people have experienced as bad or worse misfortune without the reactions he has. JP points out in his musings over the lastest Will escapade that there were better ways to get his point across without the scorched earth approach. That is one of the issues I have with all those who praise this 14 year old for his great maturity.

3. I think Claire's reaction in the last two chapter's has been more, "the best defense is a great offense". She is covering her embarassment over what look like poorly thought out actions (dropping Noah and inviting Carter & Erik's families, but not excluding Carter & Erik) by staying in the "I didn't do anything wrong mode" and her embarassment over Marie's failings. Yes it is axiomatic that she is going to defend her daughter publically, that is a typical parental reaction, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when she gets Marie home.

I will take you at your word regarding your intention; after all these are your characters and you know them intimately.  And like a father you would want to defend them when they are being attacked.   

However I have accepted your challenge and pondered my own life in regards to getting caught up in the 'now' and what becomes the norm.  While it is true that one may lose temporary sight of the result of one’s actions upon themselves and others, I think we all basically remain our true selves regardless of what is swirling around us as we live our life. 

Think of it this way, you encounter an old man.  He is grumpy and irritable, and just not too pleasant to be around.  So you write it off as being a result of his age.  But I have always believed that if you are grumpy and irritable when you are old; there is a good chance you were no different when you were young.  The only difference is when one is young; one tends to hide these traits behind a well-polished veneer and then in old age one doesn't give a damn anymore and shows their true self. 

From this reader’s point of view, in Claire’s case I think that Will confronting her with the cold hard facts of her actions and the actions of her daughter has caused a bit of her polished veneer to come off exposing her true self.  And with this quote: “I expect they’ll both be back for the Bastille Day party,” Claire said.  She looked directly at me.  “I want you to know that if he apologizes to me for treating me so rudely, I will bear him no ill will.”  She showed her true self.  Her concern is not repairing her relationship Will, or at least explaining the reasons for her actions, only that she receives an apology. 

I also think it is important to note that neither she nor her mother addressed Will’s concerns, only his actions.  It appears that they knew  they could not defend the indefensible; or more importantly felt they need not explain or defend. 

And not for nothing, but the ones who say the least usually say the most profound things when they finally do, and that person would be Frank!

There was so much packed into this chapter I could go on forever, but that is what makes this story so great.  Thanks for writing it.

When someone breaks the rules like Will breaking the decorum rules for Escorial it gave others the opportunity to address his behavior and not the issues and I am not sure that is wrong.

I officiate a couple of sports and at a pretty high level. If a coach breaks decorum on addressing calls made by my partner or I do you think he is going to get the call he wants? No, more likely he is getting a yellow card. If the coach follows the decorum rules, asks his question the proper way and he is right, he is usually going to get the call he wants, but he will never, ever get it asking the wrong way.

I think it would be interesting if the drama moved to Claremont; if Claire decided that Marie and John needed some family time in the mid-west to recenter themselves more than they needed more time at the Stanfurd Shopping Center.

• Like 1

When someone breaks the rules like Will breaking the decorum rules for Escorial it gave others the opportunity to address his behavior and not the issues and I am not sure that is wrong.

I officiate a couple of sports and at a pretty high level. If a coach breaks decorum on addressing calls made by my partner or I do you think he is going to get the call he wants? No, more likely he is getting a yellow card. If the coach follows the decorum rules, asks his question the proper way and he is right, he is usually going to get the call he wants, but he will never, ever get it asking the wrong way.

I think it would be interesting if the drama moved to Claremont; if Claire decided that Marie and John needed some family time in the mid-west to recenter themselves more than they needed more time at the Stanfurd Shopping Center.

I couldn't disagree more.  I am channeling Tonto for this response.  Will may have not delivered his message in the best of ways, (like when Tonto slapped her brothers face when J.P. came out) however everything thing he said was correct and to the point.  Additionally, if Isidore and Claire were as classy and loving as they portend to be they would have 1) never let the offending boys be invited 2) not removed Noah without at least explaining it to Will.  Speaking of classy, let's not forget who called to apologize. 

Your sports analogy really got me going.  As a baseball fanatic, I watch a lot of umpires really screw up calls (seems to happening more and more these days, think Culbreth http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/5/10/4319932/umpire-fieldin-culbreth-suspended-for-not-knowing-the-rules )

So under your scenario a manager watches a ump call the same pitch as a strike for the opposing team all game, then at a critical point in the game he calls it a ball for his pitcher, potentially changing the outcome of the game.  He loses it and argues with the ump, but because the ump doesn't like his demeanor, the manager gets tossed.  Regardless of the fact that his bad call is not has changed the game.  That is complete BS!

And it's BS that Will's valid points should be dismissed because he offended the sensibilities of two hypocrites that demand respect yet refuse to give it in return.  And it would seem that the one and true arbiter, J.P. sided with Will by banning Claire and Isidore from the party and making Marie leave her ring. 

That said I like your idea about spilling over to Claremont.  However I would not hold out any hope of that happening.    

Edited by Pete Bruno
  • Like 1

I couldn't disagree more.  I am channeling Tonto for this response.  Will may have not delivered his message in the best of ways, (like when Tonto slapped her brothers face when J.P. came out) however everything thing he said was correct and to the point.  Additionally, if Isidore and Claire were as classy and loving as they portend to be they would have 1) never let the offending boys be invited 2) not removed Noah without at least explaining it to Will.  Speaking of classy, let's not forget who called to apologize. 

Your sports analogy really got me going.  As a baseball fanatic, I watch a lot of umpires really screw up calls (seems to happening more and more these days, think Culbreth http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/5/10/4319932/umpire-fieldin-culbreth-suspended-for-not-knowing-the-rules )

So under your scenario a manager watches a ump call the same pitch as a strike for the opposing team all game, then at a critical point in the game he calls it a ball for his pitcher, potentially changing the outcome of the game.  He loses it and argues with the ump, but because the ump doesn't like his demeanor, the manager gets tossed.  Regardless of the fact that his bad call is not has changed the game.  That is complete BS!

And it's BS that Will's valid points should be dismissed because he offended the sensibilities of two hypocrites that demand respect yet refuse to give it in return.  And it would seem that the one and true arbiter, J.P. sided with Will by banning Claire and Isidore from the party and making Marie leave her ring. 

That said I like your idea about spilling over to Claremont.  However I would not hold out any hope of that happening.    

I think you mean "pretend" not "portend". To portend is to be a signal or warning..

I gather you have never been a sports official? Never had to make a call as best you can knowing half the people are going to think it is the wrong call? Whether or not in your scenario the call is correct or incorrect is immaterial, the behavior of the coach gets hims tossed from the game and more to the point, he knows his behavior is incorrect. More times than not replays show umps, referees, officials, etc to be correct. Yes everyone can point to the well known mistakes, while overlooking the thousands of correct calls and how many times the non-neutral person was incorrect. But that is off topic of the point. Had Will chosen a different tack he could have easliy carried the day. I believe JP said so. While he pushed back at Isidore and Claire when they attacked Will's method, but ignored the message, later in his private conversation with Brad JP said, “Will made some very good points, and had very legitimate grievances.  He has not yet learned that if he would have dealt with them in a more calm and deliberate manner, he would have gotten better results.”

And Will did not just offend the sensibilities of Claire and Isidore, he later came to understand that he offend deeply the sensibilities of JP to the point that it was making him physically sick so he had to call JP and apologize in order to find peace in his mind.

Like a veteran coach who knows how to work an official, Will needs to mature to the point to figure out How to Win Friends and Influence People.

"I think you mean "pretend" not "portend". To portend is to be a signal or warning.."

I would be happy to have a friendly discussion about sports officiating or the latest chapter of 9.11, at any time.  However, I find the above quote off topic, unnecessary, and down right bitchy.  Just as you chided another poster for not addressing one of your issues in their comment, pointing out my error was completely gratuitous. 

"I think you mean "pretend" not "portend". To portend is to be a signal or warning.."

I would be happy to have a friendly discussion about sports officiating or the latest chapter of 9.11, at any time. However, I find the above quote off topic, unnecessary, and down right bitchy. Just as you chided another poster for not addressing one of your issues in their comment, pointing out my error was completely gratuitous.

Careful. While what you're saying might be true, calling him out over it right here isn't likely to accomplish much. :/

Careful. While what you're saying might be true, calling him out over it right here isn't likely to accomplish much. :/

Wow!  Now I know exactly how Will felt, knowing you're right and being chastised for stating it.  And so exactly what was he trying to accomplish by pointing out my mistake?  Secondly, why should I be careful?  Can one be expected to be banned from this site for standing up for one’s self?  My example was not personal, calling attention to my error was.  Ban me if you'd like, but I will not stand for ad hominem attacks.  It seems Orwell was correct, “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

Okay guys, I think we're getting waaaayyyy off topic here. This discussion is about the plot points, characters and themes of 9.11 and CAP, not about calling on posters on their behavior. That is strictly boards-on-boards...it's banned at TWOP, and I'm sure it's probably at least frowned upon here. Please if you two have any issues with each other, take it to private messages, okay?

Anyway, back to the story...we're now about ten weeks, give or take, from 9/11. I'd love to see Mark try and incorporate some big New York City events that were taking place that summer, like the 2001 MTV Music Awards. I remember it being a big deal for my school, because one of our students was appearing as a back-up dancer to Jay Z's number.

I remember people from New York were saying that the week previous to 9.11 had been such a fun week for New York City- the MTV Music Awards, the Michael Jackson concert, the big racing regatta. And if I'm remembering correctly, the weather in the region had been basically perfect late summer East Coast weather- that's why it was being called an Indian Summer. Blue skies, warm, but not humid.

That's what made it so weird to look at the skies on 9/11...the skies were beautiful, and utterly silent. I'll never forget that- school was dismissed because the governor of Delaware declared a state of emergency- there were concerns that the Delaware Memorial Bridge and Dover Air Force Base could be targets, and after I got picked up from school I just remember lying back in the car and staring out the windows at the sky above.

• Like 1

Aside from reading forum drama at 1:00am it was a splendid chapter to get back into JP so thank you. That's the main thing I have always loved about this series for the years I've been reading it now, the ability to switch between characters seamlessly. Regarding Will I think he'd have every right to feel the way he felt, his needs, his position in the family superseded by violent individuals (which personally I have little to no time for). I doubt Marie will turn into another Bitty but her priorities need realigning; I'm surprised how short sighted Isidore and Claire are being though I think they'll work through it. I have always considered the bonds between the families to be portrayed as strong, naturally this is my assumption so it'll be refreshing to see how things are resolved. 

• Like 1

I'm still not sure that Marie will just fall into line so easily, even with - and maybe even because of - JP's wishes. Being ordered to take off her ring, and being banned from the Bastille Day party on top of that, has got to be making her feel cast out of the larger part of the family. In addition, when she gets punished by Claire...though it'll be rightfully so, said punishment will likely exacerbate the feeling of outcast. Then, consider that she might not yet have a full grasp on loyalty to the larger family, or even that she might choose to put what loyalty she does have on hold.

Before for my comments TODAY, THE MINNESOTA SENATE PASSED THE EQUAL MARRIAGE BILL!! TOMORROW, GOV. DAYTON WILL SIGN IT INTO LAW!!  MINNESOTA IS THE 12TH STATE TO HAVE GAY MARRIAGE!! I am very proud of Minnesota!! Only six months ago the voters defeated a protection of marriage amendment. Back to CAP. Over the years I have read the saga so many times I can not count. The last two chapters 7, 8 are my favorite, and that is saying a lot. Together they tell us almost everything about this story. Drama and conflict, loyally and love, right and wrong. Who could ask for any more. As I said in my review having JP back was like a visit from a old and dear friend. I have missed him. I have a feeling we will have a rocky road for a while, It's too bad Tonto wasn't there. She would have only been 98. I think JP proved himself as the head of the family. I thought Will's call was touching. Who will be JP's heir? Will? or the only other one could be Wade. It depends if blood is that important. In these two chapters Mark has so skillfully crafted the dialog that I thought I was there in the dinning room seeing the action. This is Mark at his best.

Edited by rjo

I'm not so sure there will be a JP "heir", so to speak. I think JP's having the realization that the way in which they conducted the family- the French model of the family head- isn't really going to work in the globalist 21st century with their 21st century rising generation. It might be more of a democracy than an absolute power monarchy.

Congrats on Minnesota getting gay marriage. We're getting gay marriage in Delaware on July 1st. That should make Rehoboth Beach businesses very happy.

Edited by methodwriter85

I would be happy to have a friendly discussion about sports officiating or the latest chapter of 9.11, at any time.  However, I find the above quote off topic, unnecessary, and down right bitchy.  Just as you chided another poster for not addressing one of your issues in their comment, pointing out my error was completely gratuitous. 

Feeling insecure? The comment was to clarify for discussion reasons. Did you mean pretend or portend? It matters since they mean different things. If you think it was mean, sorry, but it just wasn't. If you feel picked upon, I apologize.

And I did address your points, with textual references as to why I felt the way I did.

If you think Claire and Isidore are pretending to be nice, so be it, but you say you've read this series in the last month; can you show me where in 3,040,021 words of CAP that Claire & Isidore said or did things pretending to be nice that latter proved to not be nice?

That's just one 'r'. :thankyou:

Sorry....  one "r" in future bouquets and brickbats :)

As to who will be the heir to JP, Jeremy is probably right, no one. As generations move away from that zenith of a figure like JP there are more people, more diversity, etc. Who is the titular head of the Kennedy clan now? I think pretty clearly Teddy was until his passing, but now? Ditto for families like the DuPonts, Pritzkers, Fords and others. The further you get from the bigger than life figures, the more the centrality disolves.

As to who will be the heir to JP, Jeremy is probably right, no one. As generations move away from that zenith of a figure like JP there are more people, more diversity, etc. Who is the titular head of the Kennedy clan now? I think pretty clearly Teddy was until his passing, but now? Ditto for families like the DuPonts, Pritzkers, Fords and others. The further you get from the bigger than life figures, the more the centrality disolves.

That seems especially true of the du Ponts. They were such a strong presence in this region, but as the family company turned into a globalist conglomerate run by other people, their central prescence diminished. I think the last notable thing that's happened with the du Ponts was when John du Pont killed his wrestling "friend" at his estate in the 1990's. It makes sense that the same kind of thing is happening with the Cramptons/Schluters, because it's become less of family company centered in a small area and more of globalist company run by non-family members, with the family splintering around all these different areas. I mean it is pretty jarring if you compare how the business was being run circa The Land Whore, vs. how it's being run now.

I do think the Hobarts vs. Cramptons/Schluters deal is interesting, because it's always kind of been there. Jack's parents or greater family (is Jack an only child?) have never been that involved in anything the Cramptons/Schluters do. The Hobarts aren't like the Hendricksons- the one time we see mention of Jack's mother, it's her chatising Jack for letting John have a boyfriend. They were never fully enfolded into the family like the Hendricksons, or the process we're seeing with the Danfields. Although with the Danfields it feels a little more like a "frenemy" situaton- Wade, Nana, and his father are truly being enfolded into the family, but his mother and sister won't be.

From reviews:

I like how JJ is his own person.  Very self-absorbed, but his own person.

It's interesting- JJ marches to the beat of his own drum, but at the same time doesn't try to upset the status quo. If Will is about upsetting the apple cart to reveal the rotten apples, JJ leaves the apple cart alone while figuring out how to make the rotten ones still work for what he wants/needs. I do think JJ's not bound as much as Will and Darius are to upholding the family name and traditions- he kind of went off and did his own performance diva thing while figuring that Will and Darius could be the upstanding Schluters.

Anyway...

1. I loved JP's dedication to Claremont. It makes so much sense- he's now 65, he's basically achieved all of his career goals, he's raised his children, and now he wants to give back to his hometown. That's generally about the age where you see that kind of civic involvement.

2. I like how you laid out the  Claremont Mills.  (I'm assuming the shops are outlets?) It sounded very "of the time"- a lot of developments were built like this in 1990's to early/mid-2000's to boost sagging downtowns. Part of New Urbanist ideals, which gained traction in the 2000's.

3. It was also extremely fitting that the new ampitheater was named after Marie Crampton, and the Performing Arts Center was named after Tonto. I could see the idea that Marie's first namesake, Claire's daughter, not even being there for the dedication really bugging and disapointing JP.

4. I liked JP's talk about education in the city. Is Zane State College supposed to be the model of Claremont Institute of Technology? Again, that felt very "of the time"-a fair amount of  schools that were basically either tech institutes, community colleges, commuter schools, etc etc expanded and morphed into 4-year residential public research colleges, or at least tried to move towards that. Georgia State University is a good example of that - I think JP would have an eye on getting college students living and working in Claremont(and wanting to stay there after graduation), because despite their b.s., college students are always good for a town's economy.

Maybe Claremont Institute of Technology was like a commuter 2-year technical school with some four year programs, and JP's got it on a 30-year plan to get it to where Georgia Institute of Technology is now?

5. Most of all, you did a good job at capturing the hope and optimism of people at the end of the Clinton Years/early Bush II admistration- I remember there was a small recession going on in 2001, but it almost seemed like we completely ignored it because America was that confident. It also reminded me of how people felt- the idea that with our debts paid off, America was finally going to start investing into education and our future.

I remember a biiiggg part of Bush II's platform was "No Child Left Behind" and I think JP's speech tapped into that mindset.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 2

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..